Your dream cinematic Bionicle movie

Lenny7092

Hi, guys!:) Since that the idea about Disney owning Bionicle was revealed to be a fake (click here: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/23996-lego-what-have-you-done/ ), I am going to talk about this: if a cinematic Bionicle movie were to be made, how would you like it to be? I know that we have four Bionicle movies in 2003-2009, but they are direct-to-video movies that take over 70 minutes. I am talking about movies that first appear in the cinemas, like the Transformers, Marvel and DC Comics superheroes, Star Wars, and The Lego Movie.

For me, I would go with these ideas:

Studios: Warner Bros. (Bionicle made a cameo in their movie, The Lego Movie), Disney (the first three direct-to-video movies in 2003-2005 were made by Miramax, which I heard is a division of Disney. Plus, I would believe that Disney could improve Bionicle in the way it improved Marvel and Star Wars), or Universal (the fourth direct-to-video movie, The Legend Reborn in 2009, was made by them). I would go with Warner Bros because they are making The Lego Movie Cinematic Universe, and this is about Lego characters, original or licensed from already existing franchises, like DC Comics, in general.

Animated or live-action, and how would the story be based on that: I would prefer either.

If it were to be live-action, the story would have human beings and takes place on the Planet Earth for the first time. The Bionicle worlds (either the Matoran Universe, Spherus Magna, or the G2 world) would also be seen, as they could make appearances, too. For the Bionicle characters who appear in the live-action movie, some of them would be people dressed in CGI costumes (similar to "I, Robot" in 2004 and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turltes movies in 2014-2016) while others, like the Rahi, would be entirely CGI. It would be like a mix of Transformers, Avatar in 2009, TMNT, "I, Robot", Pacific Rim, Marvel Cinematic Universe, DC Extended Universe, and Star Wars movies in 2002-2015 if you can think of the CGI graphics in live-action movies that way, since Bionicle characters are bio-mechanical.

If the movie were to be computer-animated, it should be 3D, like the direct-to-video movies. The story would not include the human-and-Earth-ideas I said above, as it would focus on the Bionicle characters and their own worlds. I would imagine this movie would be like a mix of Moana (2016) and How to Train Your Dragon (2010-2014) that way (Think of it as it has these beautiful kinds of graphics).

Besides these types of reality in the movie, most of the scenes in The Lego Movie, The Lego Batman Movie, and The Lego Ninjago Movie show what it seems to be stop-motion. If a cinematic Bionicle movie would have stop-motion, it would be a part of The Lego Movie Cinematic Universe. However, I prefer either live-action or computer-animated.

Story: The story should be somewhere as good as or better than G1.

If it were to be live-action, the story would be about Bionicle characters (who were introduced in G1 and G2) coming to Earth and do stuff there. The Toa (Mata) would crash land on Earth with their Toa canisters and meet and make friends with some humans. They would also hide from other humans who don't understand them until the Toa show that they are heroes who have a duty to protect Earth from evil villains from their own home world (either Matoran Universe, Spherus Magna, or the G2 world), as it is either their new home or a peaceful place to visit. The Toa would also go on quests to find some Bionicle-related stuff on Earth, like weapons or the Great Beings. The humans would act like other Bionicle characters to the Toa, like the Matoran and Turaga. Some of these humans would become their allies that way, but the Toa have to be the main protagonists.

If the Bionicle movie is a part of The Lego Movie Cinematic Universe, well, let's just say that extra people, like minifigures from other worlds, would appear along with the Bionicle characters, who appear as giants to them.:P Some of the Bionicle characters would be able to Master-Build, like the Master-Builders.

Having its own Cinematic Universe or be a part of another Cinematic Universe: Well, I would go with either way.

If the Bionicle movie were to be a part of The Lego Movie Cinematic Universe, see above, and I would say that it could most likely since The Lego Movie Cinematic Universe is about Lego in general.

I would like to think of a Cinematic Universe that is very similar to Lego Dimensions, where Bionicle characters meet characters from other Lego themes with their own storylines and universes, like The Lego Movie, Ninjago, Nexo Knights, Hero Factory, Legends of Chima, and Mixels, as this Cinematic Universe would be called The Lego Theme Cinematic Universe. I would like to imagine something like Tahu working together Avengers-style with Emmet (TLM), Lloyd (Ninjago), Clay Moorington (NK), Preston Stormer (HF), Laval (LoC), and Flain (Mixels) to fight against a powerful enemy, like Makuta Teridax, the Overlord from Ninjago, or someone else old or new.

If Bionicle would be a part of a Lego Constraction Cinematic Universe, the Bionicle would do the same thing as above, but only with other constraction themes, like Hero Factory, Slizers/Throwbots, Robo Riders, or some new theme that would be replacing Bionicle this year.

If Bionicle would have its own Cinematic Universe, may it be called the Bionicle Cinematic Universe, where it only focuses on the Bionicle characters (and perhaps humans along the way if it were live-action, but still, only the Bionicle characters would be the main protagonists), kind of similar to Transformers.

If one of these Cinematic Universes were to be selected, I would go with these made-up Bionicle-related-or-dominated movies:

1. Bionicle 1 - Toa Mata/Masters vs. The Infected Rahi/Skull Creatures and Makuta and searching for magic and golden masks.

2. Bionicle 2 - The Toa become Uniters and unite with Elemental Creatures and fight against Umarak or the Bohrok.

3. Bionicle 3 - the Uniters would become the Toa Nuva and probably fight the Bohrok/Bohrok-Kal.

4. Bionicle 4 - Toa Nuva and Takanuva fighting against Umarak/Rahkshi and Makuta Teridax.

5. Bionicle Origins: Toa Metru - a prequel that would be based on the 2004 storyline

6. Bionicle Origins: Toa Metru 2: Rise of the Toa Hordika - a sequel to the previous movie, but still a prequel, that would be based on the 2005 storyline.

7. Bionicle Untold Stories: Toa Mangai - tells the adventures of the Toa Mangai.

8. Bionicle Untold Stories: Toa Jovan's Team - tells the adventures of Toa Jovan's Team.

9. Bionicle: Toa Inika - a spinoff that would be based on the 2006 storyline.

10. Bionicle: Toa Inika 2: Rise of the Toa Mahri - a sequel to the previous movie, but still a spinoff that would be based on the 2007 storyline.

11. Bionicle Untold Stories: Lesovikk - tells Lesovikk's adventures.

12. Bionicle 5 - the Toa Nuva, wearing the Adaptive Armor and having the Av-Matoran as their sidekicks, go to war against the Brotherhood of Makuta and awaken the Great Spirit Mata Nui. It's based on the 2008 storyline.

13. Bionicle Untold Stories: The Order of Mata Nui - tells the Order of Mata Nui's adventures.

14. Bionicle Untold Stories: Mazeka - based on Mazeka's adventures.

15. Bionicle Untold Stories: Federation of Fear - Bionicle's own version of Suicide Squad that is based on the Federation of Fear serial.

16. Bionicle 6 - based on the 2009 storyline, but I would also like to think that the Mask of Life had landed on Earth.

17. Bionicle 7 - Since Makuta Teridax took over the Matoran Universe, he sends the Dark Hunters, including probably Umarak, to hunt Mata Nui down.

18. Bionicle 8 - based on a script of a cancelled fifth Bionicle direct-to-video movie in 2010

19. Bionicle 9 - Mata Nui's adventures in Bota Magna, something that the cancelled sixth Bionicle direct-to-video movie could've based on.

20. Bionicle Origins: Core War - it would be based on the Core War from G1.

21. Bionicle Origins: Bara Magna - it would be about the people in Bara Magna and their adventures before Mata Nui showed up.

22. Bionicle 10 - based on the Journey's End storyline in 2010, but I would like to think that Teridax would use the gravity power of the Great Spirit to try to destroy Earth.

23. Bionicle 11 - based on the events after Journey's End, like, you know, the serials, Velika's conquest, the Red Star business, the Marander hunting, the search for the Great Beings, etc.

24. A Bionicle movie where Bionicle characters and humans are tricked by an evil villain (probably Velika or Teridax) into fighting each other. The end would be have both of the sides working together to fight the villain.

25. A movie where the Bionicle heroes travel through space and time, through the events of and traveling into G1, G2, and the cinematic movies themselves to combat a menace (probably Velika and/or Teridax) who threatens to mess the universes and events up. Heroes from all the generations would team up to do this. This movie would be to celebrate the whole Bionicle franchise's anniversary (for the first time of Bionicle's life). It would be like a mix of Turtles Forever in 2009 and Sonic Generations in 2011 when you think of it.

26. If celebrating only the Bionicle cinematic movie series' anniversary first before the one above, then it would be about the Bionicle heroes traveling traveling through time and space, into the events of the movies, to stop the evil villain from messing them up.

27. A movie about time travel.

28. A movie about Toa fighting against Tuyet, who threatens to rule the Matoran Universe.

29. A movie about two good Bionicle forces are fighting each other in a civil war, similar to Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (but in a much better way) and Captain America: Civil War in 2016. For examples, Tahu v Kopaka, Jaller v Matoro, or Bionicle (some option number): Civil War.

30. A movie where Bionicle characters working together with non-Bionicle Lego characters from other Lego themes, similar to Marvel's Avengers movie in 2012.

I would also like to think that there would be crossover movies where Bionicle characters fight characters from other themes. For example, Bionicle v Hero Factory (imagine Stormer from HF knowing Tahu's weakness while Tahu is more powerful than him during a fight?), Bionicle v Ninjago, and Bionicle v some replacement Constraction theme in 2017.

Actors: Well, I don't want this topic to be long, but you can see my list of actors in this other topic: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/24174-what-famous-movie-celebrity-actors-would-you-like-to-play-a-bionicle-character/ .

Content: If the movie is a part of the Lego Movie Cinematic Universe, it should have the same rate as the other Lego Movies. If on its own, I would like the movie to have around the same atmosphere as the Marvel movies, but no profanity words or other inappropriate Rated-R content.

So, there. I know it's a lot and these sound crazy, but they are what I would like a cinematic Bionicle movie to be if there is one. What do you guys think (Note: please don't say "Bionicle couldn't do that" or "It may not be possible unless something happens". I am just talking about what would your vision of a cinematic Bionicle movie be like)?:)

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

That is too many movies.

I like the idea of arc-based trilogies released over 3-year periods, with longer arcs done as TV series in between. I think the Chronicles arc, for example, would have made a good cinematic trilogy (Toa vs Rahi/Makuta, Toa vs Bohrok, and Mask of Light), possibly with a one-season cartoon about the Bohrok Kal squeezed in.

The Metru saga was much better suited to a TV series format than two short movies. So much got left out of the films, such as the traitor plot, elemental powers and the Morbuzahk, and many Toa got the short end of the stick in the characterisation department, particularly in WoS.

The Legends arc could also have worked as a trilogy, possibly with mini-series or webisodes fleshing out the lives of the Matoran in those settings prior to the Toa's arrival, the same could even be done for the villain's backstories.

Reign of Shadows would have been a good premise for a multi-season TV series, and the Bara Magna arc should have been another film trilogy.

• Upvote 3

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

That is too many movies.

I like the idea of arc-based trilogies released over 3-year periods, with longer arcs done as TV series in between. I think the Chronicles arc, for example, would have made a good cinematic trilogy (Toa vs Rahi/Makuta, Toa vs Bohrok, and Mask of Light), possibly with a one-season cartoon about the Bohrok Kal squeezed in.

The Metru saga was much better suited to a TV series format than two short movies. So much got left out of the films, such as the traitor plot, elemental powers and the Morbuzahk, and many Toa got the short end of the stick in the characterisation department, particularly in WoS.

The Legends arc could also have worked as a trilogy, possibly with mini-series or webisodes fleshing out the lives of the Matoran in those settings prior to the Toa's arrival, the same could even be done for the villain's backstories.

Reign of Shadows would have been a good premise for a multi-season TV series, and the Bara Magna arc should have been another film trilogy.

You know, you're right. I probably came up with too many movies. Perhaps we can think about how they can be managed. I like your idea of having the Chronicles, Legends, and Bara Magna arcs being the movies while the Metru Nui saga being a TV series. I would also like to think of TV shows for Lhikan's Toa team, Jovan's team, Lesovikk's team, the Order of Mata Nui, the Core War and pre-Mata-Nui-arriving-to-Bara-Magna arc, and perhaps Ekimu and the Protectors from G2. It's like the Marvel Cinematic Universe and Star Wars for how they are managed.:)

To be honest I wouldn't mind just a single movie as a Lego Movie spinoff. I don't see G2 having ended being too insurmountable of an issue considering that the Ninjago movie itself is a reboot despite being tied to an ongoing theme (and character designs would probably need to be adjusted significantly to add greater expressiveness and posability to the characters). A singular movie adaptation would avoid the issue of needing a huge ongoing film franchise or even an ongoing theme (along with issues like thematic drift and repetitiveness that can derive from annual storytelling and merchandising cycles), and could potentially distill some of the best aspects of the franchise into a single, easily-accessible work.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Honestly, Hero Factory would fit into the current LCU scheme much more easily than Bionicle, seeing as HF has a focus on building and rebuilding things.

If you are talking about the Lego Movie Cinemtic Universe, Hero Factory would be the first constraction line to majorly appear before Bionicle could. I would imagine Hero Factory characters doing Master-Building, too.

The same would go to my "Lego Theme Cinematic Universe" idea if you are talking about that.

Either way, I would love to see how Hero Factory Heroes would go up to fight against Bionicle's heroes at first (for example, Tahu v Stormer, Toa vs Hero Factory Hero, Fire vs Ice, just making a reference in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice in 2016. Lol.), but these characters would end up setting their differences aside and fight their common enemy (either Makuta, Von Nebula, or Umarak the Destroyer Doomsday-style, which is again, BvS. Lol). That movie would take place after at least one Hero Factory movie and at least one Bionicle movie.

That is too many movies.

You know, you're right. I probably came up with too many movies. Perhaps we can think about how they can be managed. I like your idea of having the Chronicles, Legends, and Bara Magna arcs being the movies while the Metru Nui saga being a TV series. I would also like to think of TV shows for Lhikan's Toa team, Jovan's team, Lesovikk's team, the Order of Mata Nui, the Core War and pre-Mata-Nui-arriving-to-Bara-Magna arc, and perhaps Ekimu and the Protectors from G2. It's like the Marvel Cinematic Universe and Star Wars for how they are managed. :)

Honestly man, it doesn't seem that far fetched: the Marvel Cinematic universe is at around twenty-one released or announced with no signs of stopping, and that's without the likes of the X-Men and Fantastic Four. Whether or not so many movies would be the best form to tell Bionicle's story is another matter; it does seem to lend itself to something more episodic like a TV series. The idea of a crossover with minifigure-based properties seems a bit more far-fetched.

• Upvote 1

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge

How I would have it is have the Mata Nui Arc, Ignition Arc, and a Bara Magna TV series, then finally Journey's End as the last movie. Bear with me as I explain.

Mata Nui Trilogy: Would detail the Toa coming to Mata Nui, and their battle with the Rahi (Movie 1) Detail the Bohrok invasion and at the end the transformation of the Toa Nuva (Movie 2), and finally the finding of the Mask of Light, and Takanuva's battle with Makuta (Movie 3).

Ignition Trilogy: Detail the Toa Nuva being defeated by the Piraka, Jaller and the Matoran being transformed into the Inika, and finding the Mask of Life (Movie 1). Then, the Ignika going to Mahri Nui, the Toa Mahri, and the death of Matoro (Movie 2). Then, the Toa Nuva awakening Mata Nui. But all is not as it seems. (Movie 3)

Bara Magna: The Series: Mata Nui's exile, and becoming friends with all the Agori. I'd see it lasting a single season, before...

Journey's End: The whole movie would be devoted to the final battle.

I see this as a kind of Harry Potter setup. And while I really don't believe the Metru Nui arc is all that necessary, (please don't kill me.) I could see it as LoMN and WoS being to seasons in a Metru Nui series.

• Upvote 1

Never use LEGO and Megabloks in the same build - Me.

I don't agree with the whole one movie per year thing. I've always strongly believed the best medium for Bionicle would be an HBO type of series, a 45 minute episode with a big budget deal. We could have an episode for Dark Mirror, The Kingdom, Federation of Fear, multi episode arcs for Destiny War and Reign of Shadows, and something I've always dreamed about-an entire story dedicated to the huge battle on Metru Nui where The Order of Mata Nui turns it into a massive fortress. Then this format could open up the possibilities for one off episodes where we see stuff like Toa Jovan, The Dark Hunter/Toa war, Order of Mata Nui missions, the adventures/death of the Toa Mangai, The League of Six Kingdoms, stuff about the Great Beings, the Core War, etc. You could really go anywhere. 

I think a trilogy for 06/07 would work very well. There'd be some tweaking to the big picture, and stuff like Legends #6 would be almost entirely scrapped to make it flow a little more smoothly. But I think it would work. 

Honestly, Hero Factory would fit into the current LCU scheme much more easily than Bionicle, seeing as HF has a focus on building and rebuilding things.

I don't know if I'd necessarily agree with that. In 2001, the Toa literally built themselves when they arrived on Mata Nui (and later rebuilt themselves into the Toa Kaita). The Matoran were established as a race of builders and artisans, with Makuta a conflicting force of decay and destruction.While many of those themes may have been sidelined more than once in the theme's long lifespan, that's not to say they weren't there (or couldn't be emphasized more in a cinematic adaptation).

Beyond that, it's not like building and rebuilding is much more central to Lego Batman or Lego Ninjago than it was for Bionicle. The more important factor is probably that Bionicle is more historically popular and successful—a key factor in getting any sort of movie adaptation off the ground in the first place.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

• 4 weeks later...

That is too many movies.

You know, you're right. I probably came up with too many movies. Perhaps we can think about how they can be managed. I like your idea of having the Chronicles, Legends, and Bara Magna arcs being the movies while the Metru Nui saga being a TV series. I would also like to think of TV shows for Lhikan's Toa team, Jovan's team, Lesovikk's team, the Order of Mata Nui, the Core War and pre-Mata-Nui-arriving-to-Bara-Magna arc, and perhaps Ekimu and the Protectors from G2. It's like the Marvel Cinematic Universe and Star Wars for how they are managed. :)

Honestly man, it doesn't seem that far fetched: the Marvel Cinematic universe is at around twenty-one released or announced with no signs of stopping, and that's without the likes of the X-Men and Fantastic Four. Whether or not so many movies would be the best form to tell Bionicle's story is another matter; it does seem to lend itself to something more episodic like a TV series. The idea of a crossover with minifigure-based properties seems a bit more far-fetched.

I can see how you think having a crossover with minifigure-based themes being far-fetched. It's seems sort of weird to look at constraction figures and minifigures being present in the same place together because the constraction figures are much taller than the minifigures. Imagine the constraction figures squishing the minifigures like bugs by accident (Like Tahu stepping on Lord Garmadon from Ninjago to end his threat in seconds)? Lol.:P 

However, Bionicle exists in The Lego Movie Cinematic Universe, as the Toa Mata had a cameo in the Lego Movie in 2014 (I also heard from you guys that there is a rumor about a Bionicle reference in this year's The Lego Batman Movie, right?). It's possible that constraction figures and minifigures can be seen in the same place, but, as I said, it would be sort of strange, but funny.:P

What I wouldn't think it's weird all would be an idea of Bionicle making crossovers with other constraction themes, like Hero Factory, Slizer/Throwbots, and RoboRiders. The constraction figures from these properties are around the same size as the Bionicle ones. It would be cool if there would be crossover movie that has the heroes from the constraction themes uniting to fight a common, like Makuta Teridax, Von Nebula from Hero Factory, or some other constriction-based villain, whether old or new (I would call it something like "The Constraction League of Heroes" or "The Constraction-vengers").:) 

Honestly, Hero Factory would fit into the current LCU scheme much more easily than Bionicle, seeing as HF has a focus on building and rebuilding things.

I don't know if I'd necessarily agree with that. In 2001, the Toa literally built themselves when they arrived on Mata Nui (and later rebuilt themselves into the Toa Kaita). The Matoran were established as a race of builders and artisans, with Makuta a conflicting force of decay and destruction.While many of those themes may have been sidelined more than once in the theme's long lifespan, that's not to say they weren't there (or couldn't be emphasized more in a cinematic adaptation).

Beyond that, it's not like building and rebuilding is much more central to Lego Batman or Lego Ninjago than it was for Bionicle. The more important factor is probably that Bionicle is more historically popular and successful—a key factor in getting any sort of movie adaptation off the ground in the first place.

Well, yes. Bionicle is like that during its G1 run. Lego was successful with Bionicle that way, so they should've made a cinematic movie for Bionicle back then in my opinion. I mean, look at the story. It looks like something that Lego could make a Cinematic Universe from. If Lego had to ability to make cinematic movies back then as well, we would've got the first cinematic Bionicle movie while G1 was still running. Talking about a missed opportunity, don't you think? 

As for building and rebuilding ideas, if Bionicle characters appear again in The Lego Movie Cinematic Universe for bigger roles, I would imagine the Toa, Glatorian, Matoran, Agori, and other good-hearted beings and the Great Beings being Master Builders. For example, Nuparu Master-Building his Boxor, Takanuva Master-Building his vehicle from the Mask of Light storyline in 2003, the Toa Nuva combining their Karda Nui vehicles into a new one (crazy to think about that because they are huge), Glatorian and Agori Master-Building their vehicles, and Ekimu Master-Building his Airship. Pretty reasonable. In terms of story, well, a The Lego Bionicle Movie would be based on and focus on the story and characters from Bionicle, as much as The Lego Batman Movie is to the Batman lore and characters (even though they are from a larger franchise called DC Comics) and The Lego Ninjago Movie is to the Ninjago lore and characters, while being in the same universe as them.

I'm not sure about how I'd feel with a cinematic universe, But I do know that my dream BIONICLE movie would be a recap of 2001. One thing that I'd say that everyone disagrees with is I'd like it to be barley anything like Mask Of Light. By that I mean that I'd want the characters to look like the sets and focus on the Toa's adventure. They could release a book along side the movie going through the events of the MNOG from Takua's perspective.

(Side Note: Am I the only BIONICLE fan that really doesn't like Mask Of Light. Especially the weird way the mask have mouths and stuff.) 

Especially the weird way the mask have mouths and stuff.

How else do you show the characters talking?

Well I didn't think that the mouths moving on the mask were necessary. Tons of stop motion animators make stuff that doesn't need the mouths. Yet those still convey stuff just fine. But hey, it's just my opinion.

Especially the weird way the mask have mouths and stuff.

How else do you show the characters talking?

Well I didn't think that the mouths moving on the mask were necessary. Tons of stop motion animators make stuff that doesn't need the mouths. Yet those still convey stuff just fine. But hey, it's just my opinion.

Also, sorry for late reply. Don't have much experience with forums and stuff so I forgot to follow the topic.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's mine.

Studio: Disney (I mean, they own just about everything else now, so why not?).

Possible directors: James Gunn or the Russo Brothers.

Possible music composers: Nathan Furst, Jack Wall, Tyler Bates, or Henry Jackman.

Genre: A mix of action/adventure, sci-fi, and fantasy, with dystopian undertones.

Era: Several years after the re-forming of Spherus Magna.

Premise: Many years have passed since Mata Nui sacrificed his corporeality to restore the world of Spherus Magna and retreated into the Mask of Life. The Matoran, Agori, and most of the other former residents of Aqua Magna and Bara Magna have adjusted to the new world rather well over time. However, a new secret evil faction consisting of the surviving villains from the history of Bionicle has begun to set a sinister plan in motion. Suddenly, in a tragic turn of events, the protectors of the Matoran and Agori are killed off over time, including the Toa Nuva, Toa Mahri, and even the Glatorian. As this happens, the Matoran and Agori are rounded up and taken captive for unknown purposes. In a desperate effort to save society from certain destruction, the Mask of Life targets the six Turaga of Metru Nui (Vakama, Nokama, Matau, Onewa, Whenua, and Nuju), restores them to their original Toa forms, and hides most of them in alternate dimensions to prevent the evil faction from finding and killing them. Some time later, Vakama awakens, completely flabbergasted to find himself a Toa once again. He is soon brought to Mata Nui, who has restored himself to the Glatorian-sized body he used on Bara Magna. Mata Nui informs Vakama of the situation and charges him with the task of retrieving the other five Toa from their separate dimensions, as they are the last hope for saving the Matoran (again) and Agori from the clutches of the evil faction, as well as bringing an end to them [the evil faction].

Before you ask: Yes, this plot idea was heavily influenced by Mass Effect 2. I've even pictured the soundtrack from that game being used with scenes in this imaginary film. It would probably need to be proof-read by lore experts to make sure it's free of logic errors and plot holes. The entire premise might be one big lore contradiction for all I know, but I don't care.

As for the tone and content of the movie, I envision it being tailored to old fans of Bionicle who are now adults; meaning the dialogue would be much more complex and less kid-friendly, and there would be mature/R-rated content such as violence and perhaps even swearing. There would also be romance (most likely between Vakama and Nokama) because screw the stupid "love isn't canon" thing.

Obviously this will never happen, but I for one would totally watch it. And the title of the forum is, after all, "Your Dream Cinematic Bionicle Movie".

Edited by IAmGroot

Previous usernames:

Joffrey

IAmGroot

My dream cinematic Bionicle movie?

In all seriousness, I've put an uncomfortable amount of thought into this over the last few years...I think the Bionicle story would work best from a cinematic standpoint if you jettison Bara Magna, and treat the three arcs as three miniseries. Call the first one unity, call the second one duty, call the third destiny (think about it: 2001-2002 focused most on the unity of the Toa, 2004-2005 was about the toa's Duty to the matoran, and 2006-2008 was about accepting the toa's destiny).

I also think there is a potential in adapting it to be set on earth, with a science-fantasy theme. Sure, it isn't strictly Bionicle as we know it, but I feel like it would translate to a wide audience incredibly easily like that. Translating the characters into what they would be in human society leads to some interesting thematic stuff, especially the Piraka and Inika...

• Upvote 2

Hi.

If you remember me from when I was most active on BZP, from 2009-2011...

I know I was cringy. But please keep in mind I was literally 12.

I've always been a sucker for 2001, so that's obviously what I'd want for a movie. I think only one film would be needed, but something long and epic, like Lord of the Rings, or Avatar, with sweeping scores and long landscape shots. Something that really captured the ancient beauty and mystery of the island of Mata Nui, contrasting the natural world with the robotic beings that inhabit it. I'd want it to be a grounded, personal, and emotional story, that weaves its way though the giant set pieces that are so plentiful in MNOG. Something that isn't afraid to show the horror of Makuta's infection, to touch on themes of madness and mortality, but can still be light enough to feature that one Po-Matoran kohlii fan who was asking "who ate all the pies??"

Yeah...one can dream lol

K29vRpU.jpg

REVIEW TOPIC

• 1 year later...

A TV show would be a better format. As I see it, there's a few different ideal directions to take, depending on whether or not we want to work with the Toa Mata again. Either one works as metafiction, allowing for a story that gets down to why we tell stories and what they do for society. I think that's appropriate, given the emphasis G1 put on stories and legends.

1. A traditional story like G1 in a more fleshed-out world with a new take on the dynamic between the Toa and Matoran, and the nature of the Makuta's existence and goals. This is better for a high fantasy feel akin to the line's original direction, and it's a chance to really go into how Matoran mythology works and how much of it is real. It's also better for exploring other sapient races and what their myths are, and how they relate to Matoran myths and the true nature of the universe. Umarak could work really well here as a folkloric boogeyman, especially if he and Irnakk are the same being. The Makuta and similar beings could be like gods--enigmatic and esoteric, but also absurdly powerful. Being the mythology nut I am, I'm sort of inclined toward this one.

2. A more cyberpunk iteration of the classic Bionicle narrative in a Metru-Nui-like setting based on the theme's direction in later years. This works best with new versions of the Toa Metru or with new characters. In a more advanced society, it might be cool to toy with the idea of Toa being sort of like superheroes who have to lead double lives and hide their identities. Rather than going for a mythological feel in and of itself, it ties into the notion of superheroes as modern mythology--Superman, Captain America, and Thor are today's versions of Hercules, Maoi, and...well, Thor. Good Guy could also make a cameo on the cover of a comic book. I got introduced to Bionicle in '04, so I may or may not have some nostalgia backing this one.

3. A setting rather like Bara Magna that sits evenly between sci-fi and fantasy where the last 2 ideas lean more heavily to one side. With this, as perhaps with idea #2, we can have a world that's largely forgotten stories and myths or simply dismissed them as obsolete; but, where Cyberbonk 2077 has this as a facet of technological advancement, Mad Mata attributes it to societal decline. This version of Bionicle could act as a true spiritual successor to G1, thematically picking up where it left off without having all the baggage of being a sequel series. It might be nice to help us salty geewunners get some closure.

EDIT: DANGNABBIT, IT'S A NECRO! Ugh, anyway, here's one last pitch: Bionicle, but in space.

...I'm serious.

Edited by Sir Keksalot
  • Upvote 2

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

• 2 months later...

A TV show would be a better format. As I see it, there's a few different ideal directions to take, depending on whether or not we want to work with the Toa Mata again. Either one works as metafiction, allowing for a story that gets down to why we tell stories and what they do for society. I think that's appropriate, given the emphasis G1 put on stories and legends.

1. A traditional story like G1 in a more fleshed-out world with a new take on the dynamic between the Toa and Matoran, and the nature of the Makuta's existence and goals. This is better for a high fantasy feel akin to the line's original direction, and it's a chance to really go into how Matoran mythology works and how much of it is real. It's also better for exploring other sapient races and what their myths are, and how they relate to Matoran myths and the true nature of the universe. Umarak could work really well here as a folkloric boogeyman, especially if he and Irnakk are the same being. The Makuta and similar beings could be like gods--enigmatic and esoteric, but also absurdly powerful. Being the mythology nut I am, I'm sort of inclined toward this one.

2. A more cyberpunk iteration of the classic Bionicle narrative in a Metru-Nui-like setting based on the theme's direction in later years. This works best with new versions of the Toa Metru or with new characters. In a more advanced society, it might be cool to toy with the idea of Toa being sort of like superheroes who have to lead double lives and hide their identities. Rather than going for a mythological feel in and of itself, it ties into the notion of superheroes as modern mythology--Superman, Captain America, and Thor are today's versions of Hercules, Maoi, and...well, Thor. Good Guy could also make a cameo on the cover of a comic book. I got introduced to Bionicle in '04, so I may or may not have some nostalgia backing this one.

3. A setting rather like Bara Magna that sits evenly between sci-fi and fantasy where the last 2 ideas lean more heavily to one side. With this, as perhaps with idea #2, we can have a world that's largely forgotten stories and myths or simply dismissed them as obsolete; but, where Cyberbonk 2077 has this as a facet of technological advancement, Mad Mata attributes it to societal decline. This version of Bionicle could act as a true spiritual successor to G1, thematically picking up where it left off without having all the baggage of being a sequel series. It might be nice to help us salty geewunners get some closure.

EDIT: DANGNABBIT, IT'S A NECRO! Ugh, anyway, here's one last pitch: Bionicle, but in space.

...I'm serious.

About tv show: not much people in future will be watch a tv.

EDIT: DANGNABBIT, IT'S A NECRO! Ugh, anyway, here's one last pitch: Bionicle, but in space.

...I'm serious.

About tv show: not much people in future will be watch a tv.

That's probably not true if you don't literally assume cable TV is the only way to consume a series. The Voltron reboot saw some good success for a while on Netflix despite being aimed at kids.

• Upvote 1

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

I'm been thinking about how a TLM-style BIONICLE film would be. I'd be doubtful of it being CCBS, since to the public eye that's probably hard to sell as LEGO (a weathered minifigure talking and moving is a bit different to a tall, weathered, mechanical-looking humanoid talking and moving...). Something like Brickonicle on that-other-forum-I'm-not-sure-if-I-can-mention would be more likely to float in TLG's current mindset. Maybe like CHIMA, where the characters are minifigs but they power up into CCBS forms (both in stores of course)?

I'd assume the expressiveness-behind-masks dilemma would be solved by a:making them minifigs, and/or b: having the masks work as visors ala Knights' Kingdom, or more recently, like the Oni Masks in NINJAGO. They could flip 'em down for battle ala Optimus Prime and keep 'em up while quipping so kids can keep up with who says what.

The writing would be fast-paced, referential and have some message about parenting and teamwork, like it or not. They've done well enough on that so no worries.

And the villains would be made-up/a collection of aspects of existing villains.

But the one thing we can be 100% sure about, is that, should Warner and TLG come up with a BIONICLE reboot on theatres, the sets are gonna be lit. Like, VERY good.

I'm Vrokdann in Skyrise: Ascent, and Luntep in the BZPRPG.

[sigfig in tunnel]

My profile pic's a cool little thing I made called Bettani. That thing up there's just a me inside a tunnel.

• 3 weeks later...

Just like Zatth's return to BZP, so do his Moderator powers return to him!

(So... topic revived very much after 120 days, but feel free to continue the discussion as a new Thread!)

In the meantime, though, by the powers vested in me by these Forums, I declare this TOPIC CLOSED *dun dun*

tumblr_nqf48uh9bw1ql4nt1o2_500.jpg
tumblr_nqf48uh9bw1ql4nt1o1_500.jpg