The LEGO Ninjago Movie Full Trailer and Poster Released

As promised, today LEGO and Warner Bros. released the

for The LEGO Ninjago Movie, which comes out September 22nd. This two-and-a-half-minute trailer gives us a further look at Lord Garmadon's aquatic-themed underlings, the ninja's enormous mechs and dragons, the immense scale of Ninjago City, and of course Lloyd Garmadon's complicated relationship with his father. The movie's official Facebook page also shared a new poster for the movie, featuring Lloyd Garmadon with the tagline "Find your inner piece". Follow the links above for more details or read on to watch the trailer!

View the full article

• Upvote 1

Only thing about the trailer I disliked. The song used.

I don't know. I think Taylor Swift's Bad Blood seems to relate to Lord Garmadon being evil and is a bad father to Lloyd, which causes them to argue each other, so that song makes very well. Get it? Lol.:) 

Anyway, I love some stuff in the trailer!:D I mean, Lord Garmadon's new minions look cool, the Ninja's Transformers-esque (coincidentally coming this year) mechs look awesome, and I like the new humor, including the mispronunciation of Lloyd's name.:P

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Kind of wish that the trailer showed the Ninja being more like ninjas than them using their giant mechs, but overall I thought it was an interesting trailer. 

We did get some pretty awesome ninja action moments in the trailer when Lloyd jumps off his dragon and starts slashing his sword at Garmadon's minions. Also a pretty neat visual trick in that scene: if you pause you can see they used curved LEGO pieces like windscreens and dinosaur tails in silver to trace out the arc of his sword strikes. Sort of like the type of slashing effect you often see in anime and video games.

Not a lot of stealth, though, but I think it's understandable that a trailer like this focuses on action rather than suspense, since action scenes tend to pack more visual impact into shorter clips.

Only thing about the trailer I disliked. The song used.

I remember seeing a lot of this same complaint about the first LEGO Movie trailer (with Pitbull's "Feel This Moment") and the first LEGO Batman Movie trailer (with Wiz Khalifa's "Black and Yellow"). Neither song ended up in the actual movies as far as I can tell. It is a bit annoying that these trailers just use popular radio music rather than music that's more specific to the movie or the series, but I guess familiar songs are better at catching people's attention. I'm often surprised how many people's most vivid memory of Bionicle was the 2006 Toa Inika TV commercial with "Move Along", which at that point had already gotten plenty of airplay and appeared in several other ad campaigns. Whereas I see far fewer people besides hardcore Bionicle fans wax nostalgic for the Bionicle-specific songs by Cryoshell.

• Upvote 2

I am really looking forward to this. 

One complaint I saw elsewhere is that some people are upset that it is not exactly like the show, which I couldn't disagree with more. The show already covered its own story, so there is no real reason to retread old ground. And if the movie were just going to retell the same story, it would have to be heavily abridged. We don't have to look far for disasters like the Last Airbender movie to show why condensed retellings of TV seasons do not work. We'd just end up with a worse version of the show.

I like that we are seeing the Lego Movie universe's interpretations of these characters and a new story to go along with it.

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

I am really looking forward to this. 

One complaint I saw elsewhere is that some people are upset that it is not exactly like the show, which I couldn't disagree with more. The show already covered its own story, so there is no real reason to retread old ground. And if the movie were just going to retell the same story, it would have to be heavily abridged. We don't have to look far for disasters like the Last Airbender movie to show why condensed retellings of TV seasons do not work. We'd just end up with a worse version of the show.

I like that we are seeing the Lego Movie universe's interpretations of these characters and a new story to go along with it.

I think a lot of people who wanted it to be more like the show were hoping for a new story in continuity with the show, rather than revisiting an old story. But that runs into a couple issues. First, it'd be hard to tell it in such a way that people who followed the show and people who didn't could still enjoy it equally. Second, it's VERY difficult to coordinate TV and movie storylines due to their differing production schedules. It's something Marvel has struggled a bit with while making Agents of Shield, and that's a series that for the most part focuses on a whole different set of characters than most of their movies. Trying to manage an ongoing, continuity-driven TV series along with a movie (and possible sequels, if the movie does well enough) that focus on the same cast of characters would be much, much harder.

Lots of Props and Cons

PROS

Man those vehicles look epic. Wonder how large the sets will be?

Shark theme baddies are cool. Aquasharks rise.

Looks like some nice action scenes. (That fridge bit is like directly from a Jackie Chan movie)

Cool city scape that's different from the other movies (I think.)

Some nice humor

CONS

The trailer's focusing on the civilian comedy? Doesn't bode well if that's the best part.

The Ninjas in general look soo different. Granted, we didn't get much characterization besides Lloyd.

That said, I fear the movie may be too Lloyd-centric, like the first episodes of the TV show were too Kai-centric.

I will probably continue to remain on the fence about this movie. (And by that I mean I'm still going to see it opening night.)

:music:

Well that was thoroughly terrible

Yeah, can't say that I'm a fan either. Garmadon's new design his cool but his character is awful; I like the new Nya but everyone else-by which I guess I mean Lloyd and Jay, since they're the only other ones even really featured-seem pretty bad. I'm starting to think that Lego shouldn't be making stand-alone movies.

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge

I think the only way I'll be OK with this movie is if it's connected to The LEGO Movie is some way. Just a bit at the end with finn and his dad having to get up from playing because it's meatloaf Monday.

At some point you realize that you are but a speck in the Universe.

That you time in this worlds is but a blink.

You see the whole of reality as it unfolds before you.

You try to see how far you can reach, and it’s not that far past your face.

But then you come back from the brink.

You hold them in your arms again.

And you know that you are where their world begins.

You are their rock.

I think the only way I'll be OK with this movie is if it's connected to The LEGO Movie is some way. Just a bit at the end with finn and his dad having to get up from playing because it's meatloaf Monday.

It is set in the same universe as The LEGO Movie, but I don't think Finn and his dad are likely to appear as characters. The focus on that meta-narrative will probably be kept mostly constrained to The LEGO Movie and its direct sequels rather than the spin-off films.