Stuff from the Ninjago sets you wish was in the show/story

Aanchir

I often see topics that are sort of the opposite of this one, asking which aspects of the Ninjago TV show you would like to see in sets. But I rarely see stuff that asks the opposite question: are there things in the Ninjago sets that you wish would appear in the show?

One thing I wish was more present in the show is Nya's daggers. They were her signature weapon in the 2011 sets, and both the 2012 and 2016 versions of Samurai X included a version on a pole as a naginata. But neither has been given any equivalent in the show. I know that pretty much none of the ninja use their classic signature weapons as much as they used to, and that Samurai X has her own signature weapon in the show (the boomerang blade), but I think these weapons really suit Nya.

Kai's scar is another example. In the sets, Kai has always had a scar over his left eye (except for in the Target Minifigure Gift Set), but in the show this was omitted since such a battle-hardened look didn't fit with his backstory as a blacksmith in a peaceful village. However, that doesn't preclude the possibility of him sustaining a future injury in the show to better reconcile it with the sets. It could even be an interesting plot point from a narrative perspective since Kai is kind of vain and it would be interesting to see what he'd think if the ninja life started to wear on him physically.

Can anybody else think of examples of things from the Ninjago sets that could be fun to see in the show?

• Upvote 2

There are certainly a number of character designs from the sets I wish appeared in the show, For instance, the Airjitzu variants of the figures never showed up in the show (the ninja retained their existing costumes when using Airjitzu), and even the "true potential" versions of the ninja in the show felt less impressive than the actual "NRG" figures.

I was very disappointed that Wu's dog from the Master Wu Dragon set never appeared in the show. Given his plot arc in the Rebooted wave as an old man trying to "retire" from the ninja-training business and settle into a more normal life, I could definitely see him getting a canine companion. Alas, it was not meant to be.

Finally, I can't help but still be a little disappointed that so many of the individual Serpentine and Skulkin characters ended up being used only as generic mooks in the show. A lot of their character bios from the books and website were very interesting, but for the most part only the generals ever got treated as distinct characters in the actual episodes.

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother