Set Review: 75525 Baze Malbus

75525_Baze_Malbus_Review_teaser.jpg

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story introduced a lot of new characters into the Star Wars universe. LEGO, as they often do with Star Wars, has released a number of sets to tie in with the film, and the second wave of buildable figures is on its way out. Today Forum Assistant Nuju Metru is taking a look at 75525 Baze Malbus, one of the Guardians of the Whills who joins the mission to steal the Death Star plans. Read on to see how this set stacks up and if you should consider adding it to your collection.

View the full article

Not a bad looking set-still need Cassian, Bodhi, Krennic, and a couple others for a true complete set of Rogue One figures.

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge

Looking forward to getting these. I hope that they do some new buildable figure lines that don't tie into the current movie again, though. I really want a Boba Fett, and with the new chest piece introduced by the Jyn figure, I think a decent one of Princess Leia in her Endor Rebel uniform could be made. I just think that there is a lot of good figures that could be made out of the older movies and TV shows.

• Upvote 1

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

Those head molds are still a thousand kinds of messed up.

Otherwise, this is a nice parts-pack. That said, am I the only one who finds it weird that the fact that there are only 3 figures per wave indicates a low budget, and yet TLG creates a whole new mold (the small hexagonal armor addon) just for this one set, includes just two, and does all this for a minor detail that could easily have been solved with pre-existing parts?

:kakama:

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

Good review! I think this is a very good set and I'm excited to pick it up when it's released. Unlike a lot of the baddie characters from the Star Wars constraction range, this guy is nice and colorful and has a very unique costume design. He and Chirrut (I ship it) were also some of my favorite characters from the movie. His head sculpt feels reasonably authentic, fits the design language of these figures, and offers some nice racial diversity. Plus, since it doesn't have any headgear, it should not be too difficult to re-purpose in non-Star Wars creations.

One nitpick: the review calls Baze's skin tone "dark flesh", which could be a bit confusing. This color, 18 Nougat, is just called "Flesh" on BrickLink, while the more common 283 Light Nougat is called "Light Flesh" there. BrickLink's "Dark Flesh" refers to the color 217 Brown, which we Bionicle fans know as Metru Brown, and their "Medium Dark Flesh" refers to 312 Medium Nougat.

Bit by bit, we have been getting more Dark Brown constraction pieces! Maula's Ice Mammoth Stomper had a Dark Brown 8x5 torso shell, Rey had a Dark Brown 3M shell and Dark Brown feet, Jyn has a Dark Brown back plate, the Scarif Stormtrooper has Dark Brown 8x4 leg shells, and much of Chirrut's lightbow is built in Dark Brown. It would be interesting to see a set use CCBS more extensively in this color.

Otherwise, this is a nice parts-pack. That said, am I the only one who finds it weird that the fact that there are only 3 figures per wave indicates a low budget, and yet TLG creates a whole new mold (the small hexagonal armor addon) just for this one set, includes just two, and does all this for a minor detail that could easily have been solved with pre-existing parts?

The hexagonal armor add-on also appears in the Chirrut Îmwe set in white on his left arm, and will probably be used in other sets in the future. The more perplexing mold from this wave is the pointed Warm Gold piece used on Chirrut's lightbow, which so far IS only used in that one set. But both parts seem to be versatile enough designs that they may appear in future waves. If not, it's not as though constraction has never been known to introduce head, mask, or weapon pieces for just one set. And a small number of sets per wave doesn't necessarily mean that there's any less of a budget for those sets individually than there would be for sets in a larger wave.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 1

Looking forward to getting these. I hope that they do some new buildable figure lines that don't tie into the current movie again, though. I really want a Boba Fett, and with the new chest piece introduced by the Jyn figure, I think a decent one of Princess Leia in her Endor Rebel uniform could be made. I just think that there is a lot of good figures that could be made out of the older movies and TV shows.

Do I know a topic for you: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/24178-star-wars/

Endor Leia does strike me as a good candidate for a set; the white dress look doesn't really scream action, though I suppose you could always do her in Hoth Gear. Boba Fett is another good one, along with the other bounty hunters. It'd be nice to get some of the Rebels characters too.

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge