Well Greg Thanks alot.

I'm not to sure if anyone has posted this here or not but... Apparently Greg has revealed that the Great Beings are just super intelligent Glatorian.

Your opinions on this BZPower members?

Edited by ToaTimeLord II
  • Upvote 4

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

I believe this topic was where this was first mentioned on BZP. I admit that I could be wrong about that.

As for my thoughts on the subject, I'm not a fan of the Great Beings just being really smart Glatorian. I would've preferred them being a species not related to any revealed in the Gen 1 story. 

• Upvote 6

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

It was often theorized that they might be a sub-species or distant cousin to the Glatorian race. As far as I was aware, that was deemed accurate, unless I missed something.

I thought that as well. It was very plainly seen to me. Perhaps people just in-general did not really pay attention to the lore of 2009 and 10 and instead went by their own head-canon.

• Upvote 7

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

Gonna copy-paste what I said last month because I guess we're just bringing up old news now

"Tbh I'm perfectly fine with having the Great Beings be Glatorian. It's fairly common in fantasy works to have certain races or groups of humans be considered extremely advanced, mystical, powerful, etc. etc. and not have any of that power or mysticism be ruined just by the fact that they're of the same species."

Have we seriously run out of things to talk about to the point where we need another topic about this so soon?

• Upvote 9

"Whether that is right or not...I also...as a Rider...have a wish that I want to fulfill."

Ah, yes, the mysterious "alot", an often referenced but never observed wordling which allegedly roams the grammar woods. Cryptid hunters have long been searching for a live specimen, but unfortunately dictionaries have often hampered their progress.

On topic: as mentioned above, I've also made a thread about this before, and expressed my own dissatisfaction with this tidbit of the lore.

:kakama:

• Upvote 4

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

The less you care about Greg's canon the happier you'll be

Kind of like the majority of stuff J.K. Rowling has come out with since The Deathly Hallows.

• Upvote 1

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge

Yes, I would have definitely preferred the GBs remain mysterious. I'm of half a mind to make a poll calling for the statement's retraction.

• Upvote 2

To all BIONICLE fanfiction writers - send me your work, I'd genuinely love to read it - especially canon compliant pieces. I'm always looking for more such material to read and to circulate with my friends.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Say whattt? Wow, Greg Farshety still comments on the BIONICLE mythos? Is he drip-feeding the public some random factoids from the story bibles, or are these just his off-the-cuff theories and extrapolations? I personally liked the idea that the "Great Beings" and their unrevealed nature was just Lego's cheeky way of hiding the human presence in the story. I.E., we the "builders" who created this universe, this "biological chronicle", if you will!

• Upvote 6
Bornicleban.gif

RIP BORNICLE

2004 - 2011

"There are a thousand ways I could bore you...and only 942 of them will put you to sleep. Permanently"

I actually like this. The Glatorian species really interested me, especially because of the taxonomy of sub-species that they have with the Skrall and Agori (and Vorox if you can count them as such). This only adds to the depth of that structure, which I really like. 

• Upvote 3

bZpOwEr

I have no problem with this. Why must some of our fellow fans be so nihilistic?

• Upvote 8

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

It's the way fandoms work-someone is always going to be disappointed when a plot development doesn't match up to what they had imagined.

• Upvote 3

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

It's the way fandoms work-someone is always going to be disappointed when a plot development doesn't match up to what they had imagined.

There is a difference between entitled fan tantrums and cultured disappointment over a lazy, uninspired and ultimately anticlimactic reveal of something that really didn't need revealing.

Like, if Greg would at least not tell us that the GB's were just nerdy Glatorian, the mystery around them wouldn't have been as mercilessly torn down like it was around the Red Star.

Edited by Pohaturon
  • Upvote 3

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

There is a difference between entitled fan tantrums and cultured disappointment over a lazy, uninspired and ultimately anticlimactic reveal of something that really didn't need revealing.

Like, if Greg would at least not tell us that the GB's were just nerdy Glatorian, the mystery around them wouldn't have been as mercilessly torn down like it was around the Red Star.

But see, there's still the problem in that of that the fans just have assumed that Great Beings would be the great key to it all. Frankly as far as I'm concerned, the GB's are just a fraction of a giant puzzle, which would come together to explain it all. The GB's are not gods, nor are they human. I never thought them as human myself ever, if anything maybe an advanced race of, or a species akin to humans, but than again, we already have that, it's called the Glatorian/Agori/Skrall/Vorox. It's an extensive race, made such probably by that of not the Great Beings, but by others with the greed and power to do so. i.e the Element Lords. See, it isn't the great beings we should be look towards to solve our questions, but rather the Protodermis and Antidermis, as well as the alternate dimensions. For everything is connected, but disparate. At least thats how I see it.

In any case, all I am seeing from the fandom (as usual) is just a bunch of whining complaining fools who had never really put the time or effort into really thinking through and rationalize just how foolish a concept that the Great Beings are as they see them. That being akin to gods in this world, or to literally see them as being humans. As harsh as that is to say, it's my honest feeling on the matter at hand. But perhaps I am not thinking about it the right way. Hmm....

In any case, in terms of story lore, what do we have? We have the (lets call it the Agori race to sum up the whole of the peoples) Agori who discover Protodermis, the Great Beings who test this substance, and greedy selfish Element Lords who want it all for themselves. In doing so, they offset and physically weaken the structure of the planet. The planet splits apart into three bodies, the people of the remaining desert world are disparate tribes who battle in Glatorian Arena battles for sparce remaining resources, whilst this is happening, there is stuff occuring within the GSR crashed down on Aqua Magna, and untold stories and tales that have happened on Bota Magna. All in all what happened to the Great Beings? Either they hide on Bara Magna and or the moons, or they have left it to go to another place. Either way, the point is that the Great Beings are gone, they were so few even before the Core War, and now it's time to pick up the pieces and find out their secrets, as well as to now live in this reformed world, with who knows what dark forces lurk and that are a threat to it. Why the GB's are so few, I am unsure if in actual canon it is explained.

However, at least in the ARA project (which Me and Iaredios have been working on for nearly 5 years now) it is explained how everything came to be, from ancient mythology, to the theologies of the world, to the origin of the Great Beings and Agori race, and to every last nook and cranny of the entire BIONICLE world, explaing the green armored skrall, and the reason why Tuma was so different than the other skrall in terms of height and mass. The point is, is that if that can be explained so well, or at least enough to make sense, than so to can other fans explain how such had come to be.

But with that in mind, if we look at it in the way that the apparent majority has, than we are simply being fed bits and pieces so remote in time between eachother that we are not only at least remaining with more questions than answers, but such questions that may never be answered. So why not answer them ourselves? We are the fans after all, even LEGO admitted that our dedication to the theme is what inspired them to try and bring it back, or was at least a factor.

But other fans have done such, NickonAquaMagna for example, has created a continuation of the story and lore all by his own. Or look to my work, for example. The stories for the unexplained, like that in Bota Magna. In the ARA project I have even gone so far as to even create a fictional language for just one peoples of a region of the Great Green.

My point is, despite how the fandom, at least in certain portions of it may be at least annoying to others, I cannot deny or speak enough of just how great our overall love for and dedication to that which is BIONICLE is. Perhaps we are seen, and even by our fellow fans, as whiny or complaining. But really, when you look at it, we just love the theme, and I think want the best for it. Or at least a proper ending.

• Upvote 2

pure_muscle.png

snip

No, the problem isn't that people looked to the GB as an answer. Some might have, but I expressly stated that I would have preferred no reveal at all, not just a different one. The entire lore was setting them up as a strange, enigmatic and mysterious group toying with forces beyond the comprehension of every character we've met throughout G1's run. 

This isn't a case of whining fans demanding more. This isn't a case of overentitlement that should be swept away with "but hey we all like Bionicle so who cares". This was an intrinsic element of the lore being built up over the course of 10 years that was then handled as an afterthought. This was a case of a writer setting up a mystery to which even he didn't make up a proper answer for, and since the line was canceled, he had no reason to make it worthy of the build up and instead went like "okay yeah they're glatorian whatever". 

Even if the GBs would have been something other than glatorian, I still wouldn't want to know. The whole point was the mystery, and no reveal could have satisfied - but this particular reveal was even worse than any other. This is a picture perfect example of absolutely lazy writing.

• Upvote 4

snip

snip

On the contrary, I actually argue that point. See, the way that you see it, that it should be unchanged and never ever said, and just because it was said ruins it for you. Instead of saying to yourself "if they're glatorian, what makes them so special? I want to find that out." Instead of seeing it as you do. Seeing it rather nihilistically as in your words "okay they're glatorian whatever". The thing is, it's not lazy writing per se, at least I don't think it was meant to be such, the way I see it is that it is one sided, and as such it comes off as lazy writing. Just the fact that the Great Beings are the same species as the Glatorian is an issue for you? This concept that the story is so sacred and should never be explained is just so wrong to me. That, to me, is what comes off as whiny. And people with that mentality, fellow fans, I've heard and seen other people with that same mindset attack Greg. Leave the poor guy alone, he loves it just the same as the rest of us. Calling it lazy writing is rather offensive when you look at it the way certain fans do. I am sure Greg and the rest of the BIONICLE team had many plans for the Great Beings, how they came to be, and whatever else have you.

Now, I am not trying to give Greg such high praise, make him out to be this perfect figure, because he's not, he's a human like the rest of us. All I am saying is you guys need to chill out. It's alright, BIONICLE isn't ruined just because of a small reveal really in the long run. Who cares what species any of the BIONICLE characters are, does it change the story? Frankly no, it just adds some extra info is all. That is all that I am saying.

But regardless of all of that, it's still BIONICLE. Nothing about it has been changed in a drastic way, and I don't think it ever will be. I understand that fear, that concern that the story may be ruined, and so it mustn't be mentioned and added to or changed in anyway. But thinking that way is rather regressive, and like I said, comes off as whiny. The vary conception of it was not for that reason, it was for the reason of protectiveness, but again, it comes off as such. And I'm sorry, but I like to keep an open mind to things. So the Great Beings being revealed as the same species as Glatorian made me happy, we have closure now and an explanation. But I guess I am one of the few to think like such.

• Upvote 2

pure_muscle.png

I think it's just one of those instances where a revelation contradicts what people had expected/wanted to believe about a concept; tends to happen in fandoms, just because people form their own ideas or expectations of what they want to happen only for it to not come out as they'd hoped. As the saying goes, "Canon sinks ships"-it can also apply to conceptions you had about an element of a series.

• Upvote 3

Check out my Creations:

Epics

Short Stories

MOCs

snip
snip

On the contrary, I actually argue that point. See, the way that you see it, that it should be unchanged and never ever said, and just because it was said ruins it for you. Instead of saying to yourself "if they're glatorian, what makes them so special? I want to find that out." Instead of seeing it as you do. Seeing it rather nihilistically as in your words "okay they're glatorian whatever". The thing is, it's not lazy writing per se, at least I don't think it was meant to be such, the way I see it is that it is one sided, and as such it comes off as lazy writing. Just the fact that the Great Beings are the same species as the Glatorian is an issue for you? This concept that the story is so sacred and should never be explained is just so wrong to me. That, to me, is what comes off as whiny. And people with that mentality, fellow fans, I've heard and seen other people with that same mindset attack Greg. Leave the poor guy alone, he loves it just the same as the rest of us. Calling it lazy writing is rather offensive when you look at it the way certain fans do. I am sure Greg and the rest of the BIONICLE team had many plans for the Great Beings, how they came to be, and whatever else have you.

Now, I am not trying to give Greg such high praise, make him out to be this perfect figure, because he's not, he's a human like the rest of us. All I am saying is you guys need to chill out. It's alright, BIONICLE isn't ruined just because of a small reveal really in the long run. Who cares what species any of the BIONICLE characters are, does it change the story? Frankly no, it just adds some extra info is all. That is all that I am saying.

But regardless of all of that, it's still BIONICLE. Nothing about it has been changed in a drastic way, and I don't think it ever will be. I understand that fear, that concern that the story may be ruined, and so it mustn't be mentioned and added to or changed in anyway. But thinking that way is rather regressive, and like I said, comes off as whiny. The vary conception of it was not for that reason, it was for the reason of protectiveness, but again, it comes off as such. And I'm sorry, but I like to keep an open mind to things. So the Great Beings being revealed as the same species as Glatorian made me happy, we have closure now and an explanation. But I guess I am one of the few to think like such.

I think you're exaggerating my reaction. I don't think this ruins Bionicle, I don't think it's a huge deal, I'm not broken hearted about it and it doesn't make me like Bionicle any less.

I just stated that I dislike this particular decision and find it to be unsatisfactory. I merely provided reasoning upon being prompted.

• Upvote 4

snip
snip

I think you're exaggerating my reaction. I don't think this ruins Bionicle, I don't think it's a huge deal, I'm not broken hearted about it and it doesn't make me like Bionicle any less.

I just stated that I dislike this particular decision and find it to be unsatisfactory. I merely provided reasoning upon being prompted.

Alright, than what would be satisfactory? Them not being the same species, is that just it? Or is it something deeper than that? I mean them being a different species would be cool, or at least a vastly different breed of agori (which realistically they probably are), but given the amount of species that we got in the Matoran Universe, tha vast majority not being named, I think in retrospect it would be a moot detail, but still a cool little trivia factoid. I mean, I think it's already a cool detail as it stands, them being the same species as Glatorian and all, but regardless I just don't see what the problem here really is.

• Upvote 1

pure_muscle.png

Having the Great Beings just be the normal people of the planet is exactly the kind of thing that would (and should) exist in a lego line. "Normal people created the Mata Nui robot, and the kids buying our sets are normal people! Maybe they'll think they get to be a great being!" Frankly, given the fact that, at it's core, Bionicle is a lego line, this should surprise no one.

That being said...from a lore perspective, I like it. They decided to build a PLANET SIZE ROBOT, and have everyone inside refer to them as "the great beings". Step back for a second. We've heard that term our whole lives a lot of us, it's normalized. Do you realize the kind of people that would self-label themselves Great Beings? that's fascinating. I would have loved to have seen that. I would have loved to have seen the interesting dynamics that would have occurred because, at the end of the day, they are normal people who believe they had the right to change everything. I love it.

I think it also made Velika scarier...It would have been laughable if a single glatorian managed to kill Tren Krom, Karzahni, and almost Artahka and Helryx. But Velika did, purely out of his knowledge. Not only that: he did it with a severely weakened po-matoran body. That's terrifying.

Basically...I'm in the minority of people who is 100% on board with the facts that have been drip-fed to us by Greg. I think it makes Bionicle something unique.

• Upvote 5

Hi.

If you remember me from when I was most active on BZP, from 2009-2011...

I know I was cringy. But please keep in mind I was literally 12.

That being said...from a lore perspective, I like it. They decided to build a PLANET SIZE ROBOT, and have everyone inside refer to them as "the great beings". Step back for a second. We've heard that term our whole lives a lot of us, it's normalized. Do you realize the kind of people that would self-label themselves Great Beings? that's fascinating. I would have loved to have seen that. I would have loved to have seen the interesting dynamics that would have occurred because, at the end of the day, they are normal people who believe they had the right to change everything. I love it.

Have to point out, that's not what happened. They had the name Great Beings before they built the robot, and they didn't pick it--- the Agori just started calling them that. It's mentioned in the serials that one of the GBs, Angonce, always believed the name was curse, since it made them think more highly of themselves.

• Upvote 4

idk man

Except that, as it happens, canon is everyone's, not just Greg's.

Not really, though. I think a lot of the stuff Greg has released or "confirmed" since the end of Bionicle G1 has just been stuff he's come up with, not stuff that had been determined by the entire Bionicle creative team. There are some exceptions for sure, this one might even be one, but I wouldn't say that everything GregF says has been approved/decided/passed through the creative team.

I mean, I'm pretty sure there have been places where he's contradicted himself with his "canon".

Don't get me wrong, I love GregF, and love the role he played in Bionicle, but he's not exactly the best for planning. Aside from stuff like "such-and-such character dies" that LEGO gives him, he pretty much just came up with all of his writing as he wrote it.

Edited by Kopekemaster
  • Upvote 2
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

Have to point out, that's not what happened. They had the name Great Beings before they built the robot, and they didn't pick it--- the Agori just started calling them that. It's mentioned in the serials that one of the GBs, Angonce, always believed the name was curse, since it made them think more highly of themselves.

Ah, my mistake. I still think that that is super interesting, though, I still have no problem with this lore decision.

• Upvote 1

Hi.

If you remember me from when I was most active on BZP, from 2009-2011...

I know I was cringy. But please keep in mind I was literally 12.

I think it also made Velika scarier...It would have been laughable if a single glatorian managed to kill Tren Krom, Karzahni, and almost Artahka and Helryx. But Velika did, purely out of his knowledge. Not only that: he did it with a severely weakened po-matoran body. That's terrifying.

yep. it's gives him that level of mess-your-pants-out-of-fear kinda scary that only Heath Ledger's Joker, Pennywise, Freddy Krueger, Jason Voorhees, and a handful of others could reach.... Edited by Toa Azureus
Please don't bypass the word filter.
  • Upvote 1

Link to how Azi looks(UPDATED): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4Hh1oWv0PcbLWVKdnpaT1hZeFk/view?usp=drivesdk

Also, because THEMESONG:

Except that, as it happens, canon is everyone's, not just Greg's.

Not really, though. I think a lot of the stuff Greg has released or "confirmed" since the end of Bionicle G1 has just been stuff he's come up with, not stuff that had been determined by the entire Bionicle creative team. There are some exceptions for sure, this one might even be one, but I wouldn't say that everything GregF says has been approved/decided/passed through the creative team.

I mean, I'm pretty sure there have been places where he's contradicted himself with his "canon".

Don't get me wrong, I love GregF, and love the role he played in Bionicle, but he's not exactly the best for planning. Aside from stuff like "such-and-such character dies" that LEGO gives him, he pretty much just came up with all of his writing as he wrote it.

True, true. Very true.

Canon is still canon.

idk man

Guest Pakiro

Huh, didn't see that coming. Pretty interesting though, it's a shame we'll likely never see some of this stuff from G1 fleshed out fully over time

• Upvote 1

Personally, I have a suspicion that this wasn't the original plan for the Great Beings, I can't really go into why I feel this way on BZP, because it touches on one particular discussion topic that is banned by the rules. I will say this, though: if a single stray comment I noticed on the Faber Files blog a while back has any bearing on what he and the rest of the story team were planning, I can see why Lego probably didn't want to go through with something that edgy.

• Upvote 1

I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones. But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole. And the Darkness can not stand before me.

Personally, I have a suspicion that this wasn't the original plan for the Great Beings, I can't really go into why I feel this way on BZP, because it touches on one particular discussion topic that is banned by the rules. I will say this, though: if a single stray comment I noticed on the Faber Files blog a while back has any bearing on what he and the rest of the story team were planning, I can see why Lego probably didn't want to go through with something that edgy.

I know you can't ellaborate more, but now I am deeply curious. I honestly do not know this detail.

• Upvote 1

pure_muscle.png

I know you can't ellaborate more, but now I am deeply curious. I honestly do not know this detail.

The best way I can put it without breaking BZP policy: I feel like if that "Find the Great Beings" arc actually happened instead of the whole Bara Magna deal, and the story was actually true to what I theorize Faber and the Story team had envisioned.... well, let's just say that the Toa would not like what they found.

I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones. But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole. And the Darkness can not stand before me.

The best way I can put it without breaking BZP policy: I feel like if that "Find the Great Beings" arc actually happened instead of the whole Bara Magna deal, and the story was actually true to what I theorize Faber and the Story team had envisioned.... well, let's just say that the Toa would not like what they found.

The more you cryptically talk about it, the more curious I get lol. Would it have been like a Prometheus (the Alien movie) type of thing? At the very least, can you remember which blog post it was? I'm very interested in seeing what the original plan might have been.

• Upvote 1
rahkshi_symbol.png

The more you cryptically talk about it, the more curious I get lol. Would it have been like a Prometheus (the Alien movie) type of thing? At the very least, can you remember which blog post it was? I'm very interested in seeing what the original plan might have been.

Agreed-though I don't understand why it would be taboo for the forums.
  • Upvote 1

Check out my Creations:

Epics

Short Stories

MOCs

Agreed-though I don't understand why it would be taboo for the forums.

Well, if it is anything like Prometheus, it might touch upon something vaguely religious, which has never really been a topic that's been encouraged here.

• Upvote 1
rahkshi_symbol.png

Alright, after looking over the rules, I'm going to take a gamble that what I'm about to post would technically not quality as a

"religious post," merely a post that happens to discuss religion within the specific contexts of bionicle's narrative and themes. If the mods disagree, that's fine, but I might as well throw this out in writing at least once.

Basically, my personal theory is that, had Bionicle's actual execution been true to the original concept, the "Find the Great Beings" arc would have revealed that the GB were actually the true villains of the Bionicle universe, possibly even eldritch abominations along the lines of Tren Krom. This would play into the overall "Biological Chronicle," which unlike most people, I do not personally believe refers to the nature of the characters it features. Rather, it was far more thematic in nature than we even could imagine, because it was in fact a parable about real life nature. About life, about evolution. And it would have ended with the Toa and Matoran throwing off the myths of old, their misguided beliefs in a Great Spirit who wasn't actually that great, and in Great Beings who were in fact cosmic donkey offices.

Now, I realize there's no actual proof of any of this, and I can't even really provide any any clear-cut evidence, beyond the overall philosophy I've personally gleamed from Christan Faber's musings. But it has always bothered me why, for the longest time, Lego was so cagey about revealing the Great Being's appearance - or really, any concrete details about them at all - enough that I recall they outright vetoed depicting them in full in the last Bionicle Graphics Novel. And now, years later Greg F. casually reveals that they were just ascended Glatorian? I very much doubt this wasn't another one of his retcons, which leaves open the very important question of what the Great Beings actually were in the original story bible.

Again, this is all just a crackpot theory of mine. Remember, I'm the guy who previously made a thread proposing that the MU inhabitants were retconned from being fully robotic to merely biomechanical. I've just had a growing suspicion that there was fare more complexity to the Bionicle concept than any of us ever imagined, possibly including stuff that might have made the Maori appropriation seem like a mild controversy in comparison.

Edited by Zarkan: Master of Storms
  • Upvote 5