Bionicle in the LEGO Batman Movie?

danny316p

I think I saw a shoutout for Bionicle fans in the LEGO Batman Movie, but it went by so quickly that I'm not even sure I really saw it. Now that the movie is out, I think we can talk about references in it (please try to keep this spoiler-free, though).

The reference I think I saw is in the first few minutes of the movie. We're shown various scenery in Gotham, including a movie theater. A few movies are advertised here, including "Two Shades of Bley". I think I also saw something along the lines of "The Bionicle Movie" listed next to that.

Was that there? Was I imagining it? Was there another reference later on? Am I really too cheap to buy a ticket and watch it again? Would it be worth it just for this?

• Upvote 8

I've heard reports of it, as well. I'm going to see it again tomorrow night, so I'll see if I can confirm it. Apparently, it's on the marquee of the theater, like you said.

"The Kingslayer"

z2r5DTz.png

Complete Okoto Alphabet + Okotoan Symbols | Infrared's Okoto Font | SDCC Semi-Live Coverage

—————————BZPGOT S1 KILLS—————————

Gi9juq3.png

Despite BIonicle's cancellation last year, it still makes cameos in The Lego Movies (I knew it still can be remembered). Interesting. I would try the watch The Lego Batman Movie again soon.

I mean, even Fabuland and Blacktron were referenced in The Lego Movie.  :P  A theme ending doesn't mean it ceases to be acknowledged, and as one of the biggest themes of the early '00s Bionicle's definitely up there with those in terms of its long-term relevance.

Sadly, I missed the reference on my first viewing, but I'll try to keep a better eye out next time!

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I don't think we should read anything into "retired product" references showing up in related entertainment. Remember, the LEGOLAND parks routinely sell kid-oriented rides slathered in logos and references from lines discontinued before today's kids were born. I've thought of using this for shock value on occasion - imagine running up to the LEGOLAND Florida Aquazone Wave Riders ride (opened in 2011) and seeing someone flip out about how "it took me so long to get here from 1995!"

Can someone get a picture of this?

I'm not sure if that's legal, man. You have to watch the movie to see it.

We could argue the point, but security at the movie theater won't want to hear about it. Don't risk it - it's not worth getting kicked out of the movie (or worse).

That said, my least favorite thing about the movie is how quickly the in-jokes fly by. I felt like we got far less of the brick-built world and LEGO references than we got of close-ups of animated faces.

Edited by danny316p

I glanced at the title of this topic the other day, then when I saw the movie today, I was trying so hard to find any references, but couldn't find any. You say it was within the first few minutes, that's why: people kept trying to text and call me during the first few minutes, so I was distracted. It was the first time I didn't follow the "please turn off your phone" rule, and I'll never disobey it again.

Still, I was so hoping Makuta Teridax was going to be one of the legendary villains the Joker let loose on Gotham, or maybe another classic LEGO villain like Brickster or Ogel. Oh, well...

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese
  • Upvote 1

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

I glanced at the title of this topic the other day, then when I saw the movie today, I was trying so hard to find any references, but couldn't find any. You say it was within the first few minutes, that's why: people kept trying to text and call me during the first few minutes, so I was distracted. It was the first time I didn't follow the "please turn off your phone" rule, and I'll never disobey it again.

Still, I was so hoping Makuta Teridax was going to be one of the legendary villains the Joker let loose on Gotham, or maybe another classic LEGO villain like Brickster or Ogel. Oh, well...

Maybe you can count on The Lego Ninjago Movie (Like how The Lego Movie in 2014 has characters from many Lego themes, licensed or not, in general and The Lego Batman Movie included classic and famous villains from old movies and TV shows. Perhaps Lord Garmadon would find the Realm Crystal and summon villains from original themes by Lego, like Makuta Teridax and Jestro. Lol.).:P

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Other LEGO villains would have been pretty exciting in The LEGO Dimensions Batman Movie too...

There's now a reddit thread seemingly confirming this.

I can't help but wonder if the choice of villains might have not just been based on what they could get permission to use, or what would have the kind of impact on mass audiences that those pop-culture villains would have, but also on what they might want to use in the future.

After all, with all of the villains both starting and ending the movie trapped in the Phantom Zone, it really limits the potential to use them in future movies without repeating the mass breakout scenario from this one. It's possible that that could have even had an impact on getting permission for other licensed characters—after all, Disney might be willing to make a deal to allow Lego and WB to use characters like Darth Vader and Davy Jones, but not if the scenario relegates them to prisoners of DC's own superhero characters.

Getting back to the subject of Bionicle, even with the abrupt end of Bionicle G2 the theme remains one of Lego's most historically successful in-house franchises. It would not surprise me at all if Lego wanted to keep that theme and its characters in reserve to potentially use for a bigger crossover like The Lego Movie Sequel or even a standalone movie, rather than burning one of its most notorious villains in a movie that already had plenty of more well-known villains to work with.

Other LEGO villains would have been pretty exciting in The LEGO Dimensions Batman Movie too...

There's now a reddit thread seemingly confirming this.

I can't help but wonder if the choice of villains might have not just been based on what they could get permission to use, or what would have the kind of impact on mass audiences that those pop-culture villains would have, but also on what they might want to use in the future.

After all, with all of the villains both starting and ending the movie trapped in the Phantom Zone, it really limits the potential to use them in future movies without repeating the mass breakout scenario from this one. It's possible that that could have even had an impact on getting permission for other licensed characters—after all, Disney might be willing to make a deal to allow Lego and WB to use characters like Darth Vader and Davy Jones, but not if the scenario relegates them to prisoners of DC's own superhero characters.

Getting back to the subject of Bionicle, even with the abrupt end of Bionicle G2 the theme remains one of Lego's most historically successful in-house franchises. It would not surprise me at all if Lego wanted to keep that theme and its characters in reserve to potentially use for a bigger crossover like The Lego Movie Sequel or even a standalone movie, rather than burning one of its most notorious villains in a movie that already had plenty of more well-known villains to work with.

Good point. Though I don't see another standalone movie coming for a franchise that's already had four and got cancelled twice. The LEGO Movie sequel sounds like the most plausible possibility, since there was already confirmation in the first movie that, at the very least, the Toa Mata exist in the LEGO Multiverse.

With the way these movies work, we could even have both Makuta in one movie.

• Upvote 1

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

I figure we're lucky if the people at WB who write these things actually know about Bionicle. The teases we've had so far could easily be entirely from people at LEGO giving their input into stories that were already written by people outside of the company. We'll probably never know what portion of these movies comes from each of the given companies that work together to make the movies happen...

I figure we're lucky if the people at WB who write these things actually know about Bionicle. The teases we've had so far could easily be entirely from people at LEGO giving their input into stories that were already written by people outside of the company. We'll probably never know what portion of these movies comes from each of the given companies that work together to make the movies happen...

Well, the "people at WB" are presumably consulting quite heavily with Lego themselves regarding the overall strategy for the cinematic universe. These sort of easter eggs probably have little to do with future plans, but that's not to say that Lego couldn't advocate for a larger role for Bionicle in a future movie if there were an obvious place in the story for it, or that the creative minds behind the story wouldn't be receptive to that sort of suggestion.

A big part of it depends on what shape the overall story takes. If the Lego Movie sequel does continue with the meta-story of Finn as he ages, then the shape of the story might easily be conducive to a larger Bionicle role (since Bionicle has always been somewhat of a transitional theme for kids who might otherwise be "aging out" of Lego), and for that matter "girls themes" like Lego Friends (which Finn's sister might be expected to start collecting once she ages out of Duplo).

Can someone get a picture of this?

I'm not sure if that's legal, man. You have to watch the movie to see it.

You can take a picture of it when you buy it on DVD/Blu-Ray. Wait a few months, unless someone try and snap it in theaters. :P

Edited by Tufi Piyufi
Inappropriate language removed.
  • Upvote 2

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

(which Finn's sister might be expected to start collecting once she ages out of Duplo).

Age out? That isn't a thing. I, for one, would love to see LEGO make a 2 hour movie about how people who believe that are wrong about the sophisticated interlocking brick system.

Don't tell me that there's a maximum age on the box! That's only a suggestion!

Edited by danny316p
  • Upvote 1

(which Finn's sister might be expected to start collecting once she ages out of Duplo).

Age out? That isn't a thing. I, for one, would love to see LEGO make a 2 hour movie about how people who believe that are wrong about the sophisticated interlocking brick system.

Don't tell me that there's a maximum age on the box! That's only a suggestion!

Oh, don't get me wrong, it's not a requirement. But I think most kids go through... if not quite a dark age, at the very least a dim age where they eschew the wonders of Duplo in favor of its smaller, easier to choke on counterpart. Be honest, even your Duplo collection spent at least some time in storage before you broke it back out as an AFOL, didn't it? :P

Be honest, even your Duplo collection spent at least some time in storage before you broke it back out as an AFOL, didn't it? :P

Unfortunately, this is a trick question. Most of "my" early childhood DUPLO was actually on loan from relatives, who called for it back to loan to someone else. That was when I was...5, maybe? Since buying used LEGO was commonplace not long after that, I always had a few pieces mixed in with smaller pieces. I started buying my own buckets of used DUPLO before I was 9 (I can't recall exactly when), so the gap in my professional career is actually longer than the gap in my DUPLO-building career (clearly I've missed my true calling).

That's before we get into things like building supplies versus set collecting...Sure, my Zoo and Shape Sorter are stored right now, but that's because they were put away as complete sets and other parts were used for MOCs.