Missing Sets and Minifigures

Wiriamu

Anyone who follows my topics lately knows that I've been hot on the things that LEGO hasn't given us as yet. I've talked about it with Bionicle, Ninjago, and Star Wars; I may get into Hero Factory if I can think of more than a couple of ideas. But this topic is for everything else: all those lines Lego has produced that, for one reason or another, have had some pretty great set opportunities that have been overlooked.

First up on the list is my old friend Middle Earth, i.e. Lego The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. Some sets this line really could have used include (in my opinion):

• War of the Last Alliance/Battle of Mount Doom-essentially the battle from the prologue of The Fellowship of the Ring, complete with Sauron, Second Age Elrond, Elendil, Gil-galad, Isildur, and various troops. Brief it may have been on screen, but certainly pivotal. You could even go all out and turn it into a Death Star-style playset of Mount Doom, including Sauron's forge.
  • Battle of Azanulbizar-rather like the previous set, this is a historical scene that seems like you could get a lot out of it. Apart from recreating a scene from the movie we could get such minifigures as Young Thorin, Azog, Young Balin, Thror, Young Dwalin, and some Dwarf Soldiers and Goblins to boot.
  • Troll Battle-because who couldn't use Bert, Tom, and William?
  • Dol Guldur-a scene where much of the action of The Hobbit Trilogy takes place-whether you like that fact or not-it seems like we could have gotten more out of it, including-potentially-a Thrain minifigure, a fiery Sauron as opposed to the Necromancer, Bolg, and perhaps ghostly versions of the Ringwraiths besides the Witch-King.
  • The Watcher in the Water-while it was only a brief antagonist in The Fellowship of the Ring, the Watcher is one beast of a set that I think would have made a nice addition to the line. It would also be a good place for another Boromir figure and maybe another Pippin.
  • Balrog Battle/The Endless Stair-with how awesome the Balrog is and how cool the video game version in The Lord of the Rings and Lego Dimensions is, it's pretty sad that we never got a physical version.
  • Edoras-a pretty sweet scene from The Two Towers that could include two versions of Theoden, Eowyn, Hama, another Wormtongue, maybe even Gamling and/or Theodred.
  • Oliphaunt Ambush-a chance for you to collect those gigantic beasts of which Samwise Gamgee is so fond, along with Haradrim, maybe some Easterlings, and Faramir and the Gondor Rangers.
  • Battle of Pelennor Fields-a great opportunity to get some missing minifigures and elements such as the Witch-King with helmet, Eowyn, a Fell Beast, Rohirrim Squire Merry, and even Citadel Guard Pippin and Faramir if Lego takes its usual license.
  • The Last Ship-a little tidbit from the finale of The Return of the King, allowing you to get your hands on an elderly Bilbo Baggins, Celeborn, Cirdan, and maybe a couple others.
  • Tom Bombadil-essentially just a Revan-style polybag, since I don't know where you could fit him in with a set given that they're based on the films that he doesn't appear in, unless you do a minifigure line or something. Hm, that could actually be cool-throw in Rosie Cotton, Sauron, all the others we didn't get in sets...
...honestly, that's the main theme I can think of that doesn't have all the sets I would have wanted to see, but I'm sure there are more out there.
  • Upvote 1

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge

I have thought for awhile that what the final Hobbit film really needed was battle packs. The actual "Battle of the Five Armies" set was okay, and had some nice Dale architecture, but wasn't nearly big enough to stage any kind of proper battle. Instead of a single ~$50 set, we really should have had a $10 battle pack for each army. Mirkwood Elves, Men of Laketown (both with an eagle), Iron Hills Dwarves (with a cavalry goat), Dol Gildur Orcs (featuring one or two warg riders), and Gundabad Orcs (along with a few war bats)--I would have bought scads of those.

• Upvote 1

bionicle_2017_banner_3c.png

I have thought for awhile that what the final Hobbit film really needed was battle packs. The actual "Battle of the Five Armies" set was okay, and had some nice Dale architecture, but wasn't nearly big enough to stage any kind of proper battle. Instead of a single ~$50 set, we really should have had a $10 battle pack for each army. Mirkwood Elves, Men of Laketown (both with an eagle), Iron Hills Dwarves (with a cavalry goat), Dol Gildur Orcs (featuring one or two warg riders), and Gundabad Orcs (along with a few war bats)--I would have bought scads of those.

Ooh, those are some good ideas-battle packs would have been good for The Lord of the Rings as well for Haradrim, Easterlings, Lothlorien Elves, Citadel Guards, and others.

Barad-dur would be another pretty sweet set and potentially another opportunity to get a Sauron figure. If Lego really wanted to branch out and do book-inspired scenes in addition to film inspired, they could also do a Tom Bombadil set complete with Old Man Willow and some Barrow-wights. Lego Harry Potter could use a little more love as well, like a Hog's Head set so we could get Aberforth Dumbledore and a Death Eater or two without minifigures. While I'm not all that interested in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, I'm also rather surprised that Lego's only really done a couple Dimensions elements based on it. Dimensions honestly has a few themes attached to it-probably not all, but a few-that would make for some interesting sets, such as the Wizard of Oz or some additional Scooby-Doo sets.

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

I agree full heartedly. There were rumors floating around (I can't remember where I saw them maybe bricklink or something along those lines) that hinted at future LotR sets around the time Orthanc came out) that suggested a Witch-king/Eowyn set, Amon-Hen which had Boromir, Pippin and more Uruks, and I think there was supposed to be one or two more that I cannot remember, but apparently it was all speculation and not fact... unless they were planning to release those sets and decided not to with the soon appearance of the Hobbit. :???:

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

I agree full heartedly. There were rumors floating around (I can't remember where I saw them maybe bricklink or something along those lines) that hinted at future LotR sets around the time Orthanc came out) that suggested a Witch-king/Eowyn set, Amon-Hen which had Boromir, Pippin and more Uruks, and I think there was supposed to be one or two more that I cannot remember, but apparently it was all speculation and not fact... unless they were planning to release those sets and decided not to with the soon appearance of the Hobbit. :???:

Alas, that would have been amazing. A pity that Lego did not see fit to produce them.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

Short Stories

MOCs

Alas, that would have been amazing. A pity that Lego did not see fit to produce them.

Unfortunately, all themes are subject to the whims of the market. I get the impression that Lord of the Rings was generally less popular among kids than themes like Star Wars that are based on franchises marketed more directly toward them. And while AFOLs may make up some of the difference, there's a reason why sets aimed specifically at them are fewer and farther between—they're just a smaller market in general, and can't necessarily sustain a huge range of sets to the same degree.

Also, unlike Star Wars, there really wasn't any mechanism to sustain the theme beyond the release of the last Hobbit movie, since there's no ongoing television media or anything like that (a factor that similarly limited the lifespan of themes like Indiana Jones and Harry Potter). Ultimately, while a certain amount of sales can be eked out of classic movies and media, without an infusion of new media and the new fans that accompany it, it's hard to keep a theme going for very long.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Unfortunately, all themes are subject to the whims of the market. I get the impression that Lord of the Rings was generally less popular among kids than themes like Star Wars that are based on franchises marketed more directly toward them. And while AFOLs may make up some of the difference, there's a reason why sets aimed specifically at them are fewer and farther between—they're just a smaller market in general, and can't necessarily sustain a huge range of sets to the same degree.

Also, unlike Star Wars, there really wasn't any mechanism to sustain the theme beyond the release of the last Hobbit movie, since there's no ongoing television media or anything like that (a factor that similarly limited the lifespan of themes like Indiana Jones and Harry Potter). Ultimately, while a certain amount of sales can be eked out of classic movies and media, without an infusion of new media and the new fans that accompany it, it's hard to keep a theme going for very long.

Sad but true, my friend.

EDIT: Especially when Disney produces merchandise for properties that haven't had new stuff in ages. Also, while Star Wars does continue to produce new media, you'd think there'd be a market for Middle Earth stuff when they continue to release sets based on the Prequel films and The Clone Wars.

Is it really double posting if it's been a month since anyone else did anything?

I'm not the biggest fan of Lego Dimensions-don't like all the properties involved and whatnot-but after seeing this:

I feel that they are missing a big opportunity by not having a line of sets-actual sets, not just the little "fun packs"-based on the game. A Dalek flying saucer with a Sauron minifigure on top? Yes please!

And that's only the tip of the iceberg. The Tri, the Anacondrai Serpent, the Balrog (with or without Riddler)-so many awesome opportunities...that Lego is failing to take advantage of.

Edited by Black Six

Check out my Creations:

Epics

Short Stories

MOCs

• 1 month later...

I want a buildable light-up Sonic Screwdriver

i know its been mentioned before but also a doctor who minifigure series.

That would actually be a great way to release all the Doctors. There's a few different themes that could use Minifigure series:

• Star Wars-for the likes of Jan Dodonna and other characters who haven't appeared in minifigure form at all, or for those who's Minifigure appearance has been confined to TV or video games, like ol' Lindo Calrissian. It would also be a cool avenue for getting more Rebels characters, though I'd rather see most of those in actual sets.
  • The Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit-if Lego never releases more sets based on these lines, a Minifigure series would be a great way to get some missing ones like Faramir, Eowyn, the helmeted Witch-King, armored Sauron, variants of the different hobbits, Elendil, Gil-galad...there's a lot they could do.
  • Dimensions/DC Comics-there's a few background characters from these properties who could use some love, like Jimmy Olsen; Vortech's variants might be fun too, and even the main version if Lego doesn't get around to releasing it as a play pack.
  • Nexo Knights-as with Ninjago (but that's got it's own topic) there are a few TV series and book exclusives that would be fun to see brought to life.
  • Marvel Comics-I'm sure there's plenty of thus far videogame exclusive figs that folks would love to put on their shelf.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

Short Stories

MOCs

• 2 weeks later...

My comment is in regards to a minifig, not a set, but I feel like if LEGO can make Harley Quinn, there's no reason they can't make Deadpool. Just slip him into a Captain America set and no one would get mad.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

My comment is in regards to a minifig, not a set, but I feel like if LEGO can make Harley Quinn, there's no reason they can't make Deadpool. Just slip him into a Captain America set and no one would get mad.

Seeing as nobody's posted in the minifigure thread in two months, I'd say it's fine. I would also agree with your Deadpool assessment-heck, Disney put him in Ultimate Spider-Man. They could always adapt a set from that, do a Captain America one, or even a comics-based X-Men set.

Edited by Wiriamu

Check out my Creations:

Epics

Short Stories

MOCs

LEGO already had a set with Deadpool in the Super Heroes theme's first year! Mind you, that was before he was widely known for being the title character of an R-rated movie, so putting Deadpool in another set could be more complicated today. Regardless of the character's more kid-friendly appearances, the movie's now what the general public associates with him, and so putting him in a set could be bad PR.

• Upvote 2

LEGO already had a set with Deadpool in the Super Heroes theme's first year! Mind you, that was before he was widely known for being the title character of an R-rated movie, so putting Deadpool in another set could be more complicated today. Regardless of the character's more kid-friendly appearances, the movie's now what the general public associates with him, and so putting him in a set could be bad PR.

How did I miss this? That minifig is beautiful. LEGO gets a pass for not putting him in any more sets.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!