Toy Fair 2017: Star Wars Constraction

TF17_Star_Wars_Constraction_teaser.jpg

As I'm sure everyone is painfully aware, 2016 was the last year of Bionicle's second run. Unfortunately there was not a new constraction series announced at Toy Fair today so all we've got to keep the spirit alive are the Star Wars Buildable Figures. There were only two sets on display that we haven't seen yet, but the press material promises that more will be coming later this year for Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi. To see what CCBS fun LEGO shared today, read on!

View the full article

Well, it's very sad that we don't see a replacement constraction theme, with an original story by Lego, for Bionicle this year as it seems (Feels worse than Bionicle's first cancellation. I don't know why there isn't the replacement right away, like Hero Factory after Bionicle G1's set line got cancelled in 2010. I think we are kind of facing a dark age or Great Depression for constraction, guys.).:( But, these Star Wars Constraction sets look very cool. I like the armor on the Stormtrooper Commander. The Scout Trooper & Speeder Bike looks very interesting because of the Bike and the new head.:)

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Yeah, kinda figured we would have heard of a new constraction theme by now if it were coming anytime soon. Of course I think there's a number of themes they could go with-Middle Earth would be great but I doubt they'd revisit it now that The Hobbit movies are over and there's nothing else forthcoming so far as we know. DC and Marvel are always an option as well, unless they want to start an original theme.

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge

I was thinking it would be neat to have vehicles for the various CCBS characters. (A TIE Fighter for Darth Vader would be cool. more of a MOC idea than a playset tho.) So it's interesting to see that Lego is thinking along the same lines, and the speeder bike looks decent. The rest of the CCBS characters are pretty meh in my opinion. If the future of CCBS lies entirely with Star Wars, then we're most likely never going to see bright colors in CCBS again. :|

:music:

I have to admit that overall I was disappointed with the light turnout for the buildable figures. I wasn't expecting to see the Last Jedi ones, but it would be nice to at least know how many we're getting.

According to the press release LEGO released before Toy Fair, "Popular characters also appear in buildable figure form with nine new sets." That's counting the five 2017 buildable figures that were shown at Toy Fair, so there will presumably be four buildable figures for The Last Jedi this fall.

I was thinking it would be neat to have vehicles for the various CCBS characters. (A TIE Fighter for Darth Vader would be cool. more of a MOC idea than a playset tho.) So it's interesting to see that Lego is thinking along the same lines, and the speeder bike looks decent. The rest of the CCBS characters are pretty meh in my opinion. If the future of CCBS lies entirely with Star Wars, then we're most likely never going to see bright colors in CCBS again. :|

The issue with starfighter-sized vehicles is that they'd surely have an enormous price. Just look at the $200 price tag on the UCS TIE Fighter, and then realize that a version scaled to the size of a Star Wars buildable figure would be more than twice that size! So non-enclosed personal craft like speeder bikes or STAPs are probably the biggest Star Wars vehicles we could realistically get in buildable figure sets. MOCs, of course, are a different story.

I'm not quite sure why I'm only now hearing so many worries about the future of brightly-colored CCBS sets, considering that the Baze Malbus buildable figure that just came out is probably the most brightly-colored of any of the Star Wars buildable figures we've had to date. Plus, a decade ago a lot of Bionicle fans were worried we might never see constraction sets in earth tones like brown and tan again! :P I agree though that a lot of the Star Wars buildable figure color schemes are a bit dull.

Very neat sets, and I love that we're finally getting figures with personal vehicles. I do sort of wish the Technic stand for the speeder bikes used clear Technic beams like the ones on recent Podracer sets, though.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Man, that Scout Trooper and Speeder Biker is really neat, and for someone who doesn't own a single Star Wars CCBS set, even the Stormtrooper Commander looks like a neat grab, since it would have a lot of "new" parts for me, personally...

But really, that speeder bike is clearly the highlight of the show. Man, I really want that.

:kakama:

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

The issue with starfighter-sized vehicles is that they'd surely have an enormous price. Just look at the $200 price tag on the UCS TIE Fighter, and then realize that a version scaled to the size of a Star Wars buildable figure would be more than twice that size! So non-enclosed personal craft like speeder bikes or STAPs are probably the biggest Star Wars vehicles we could realistically get in buildable figure sets. MOCs, of course, are a different story.

I'm not quite sure why I'm only now hearing so many worries about the future of brightly-colored CCBS sets, considering that the Baze Malbus buildable figure that just came out is probably the most brightly-colored of any of the Star Wars buildable figures we've had to date. Plus, a decade ago a lot of Bionicle fans were worried we might never see constraction sets in earth tones like brown and tan again! :P I agree though that a lot of the Star Wars buildable figure color schemes are a bit dull.

1 - That's why I said MOC rather than a set, because it would have to be huge. I'm sure eventually somebody will make it. (I think a Micro-Fighter style vehicle for a CCBS character might be doable as a MOC that won't be too big...)

2 - Baze is a little bit red with dark tan. Given that it's the "most brightly colored we've seen" that doesn't say much about the other sets. I'd personally like a balance, so the tans and browns are welcomed, but the blues and green and yellows (and more reds) will be missed. In theory, it would be nice if there were two CCBS themes. The drab but realistic colors could be used for Star Wars, and the vibrant colors could be used in a stand alone custom theme. (Like what Ninjago and Nexo Knights are doing, except for CCBS.) I've been concerned about this since we first heard Bionicle was canceled and Star Wars was the only foreseeable CCBS theme moving forward, so I can't see how this complaint is a surprise.

I have to admit that overall I was disappointed with the light turnout for the buildable figures. I wasn't expecting to see the Last Jedi ones, but it would be nice to at least know how many we're getting.

According to the press release LEGO released before Toy Fair, "Popular characters also appear in buildable figure form with nine new sets." That's counting the five 2017 buildable figures that were shown at Toy Fair, so there will presumably be four buildable figures for The Last Jedi this fall.

Yeah, Brickset has had four open slots listed for some time-that's actually where I first heard about the Stormtrooper and Scout Trooper. Sadly vehicles and such would undoubtedly be ridiculously expensive-I mean, just look back at Bionicle.

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Yeah, Brickset has had four open slots listed for some time-that's actually where I first heard about the Stormtrooper and Scout Trooper. Sadly vehicles and such would undoubtedly be ridiculously expensive-I mean, just look back at Bionicle.

Bionicle's vehicles may have been expensive (at least compared to the other sets in the theme, if not those in other themes that regularly exceed those prices), but apart from single-pilot atmosphere-based vehicles, like this Speeder Bike most Star Wars vehicles would be even more so. After all, even single-pilot starfighters like X-Wings and TIE Fighters have to have completely enclosed canopies.

Hm, was kind of hoping for some sort of action feature on the speeder bike.  Oh well.  But at least now we have some Kanan and Ezra constraction figures. ;)

Throw on some lightsabers and we're good to go.

Ha ha, nice-still would be nice to have actual Kanan and Ezra figures so we could switch heads for some real disguised Rebel Models.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

Short Stories

MOCs

Sometimes I feel as though TLG should just sell a multipack of SWC trooper heads: a flametrooper, a snowtrooper, a wave one clone trooper, and potentially a few others. The stormtrooper commander would be a waste of my money TBH, but I will be buying the speeder bike, even if it comes with yet another cookie-cutter trooper figure.

Find (digital) me under the name Azani on YouTube, Eurobricks, Discord, the BioMedia Project and the TTV Message Boards.

Please check out Project AFTERMAN on Tumblr and Facebook; I'm proud to have worked as their PR Manager and as a writer.

AAZZ.jpg

But really, that speeder bike is clearly the highlight of the show. Man, I really want that.

:kakama:

No, we haven't covered the highlight of the show yet. Unfortunately, it doesn't involve LEGO - KNEX put out a pretty fantastic display this year.

...but the Speeder Bike is definitely one of the better LEGO sets coming up.

Sometimes I feel as though TLG should just sell a multipack of SWC trooper heads: a flametrooper, a snowtrooper, a wave one clone trooper, and potentially a few others. The stormtrooper commander would be a waste of my money TBH, but I will be buying the speeder bike, even if it comes with yet another cookie-cutter trooper figure.

Eh, they may be identically colored, but they're not exactly cookie cutter in terms of armor-while I think accessory packs could be a good idea, I question how feasible they would be.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

Short Stories

MOCs

Eh, they may be identically colored, but they're not exactly cookie cutter in terms of armor-while I think accessory packs could be a good idea, I question how feasible they would be.

Yeah, trooper types like the ones listed would be quite infeasible for any sort of "accessory pack" since they all have different helmet shapes—that'd be several unique and complex new molds in a single set with no substantial builds using existing parts to help offset the cost of those new molds. At best recolors/reprints of an existing head mold might work, but you'd still run into the issue of an accessory pack like that failing to offer any sort of complete play experience on its own.