Remember my old theory...

ToaTImeLord

Well when Bionicle G2 was canceled and everyone was wondering what's going to happen next with CCBS.

I provided a logical flow chart of possibilities.

If there are no new CCBS theme within a year after G2's cancellation then Bionicle is beging fixed for a G3.

If there is a new CCBS theme within a year of G2's cancellation then Bionicle will return when that line dies.

If there is a CCBS theme based off of a existing system one such as Ninjago or Nexo Knights. Then LEGO is cutting its losses with Bionicle and staying with themes they know sell.

It looks like my first point maybe coming true.

There has been no leaks, news or any information of a new CCBS theme is even being created.

Lego still knows that CCBS is a money maker because the star wars set are profitable.

So where is the new CCBS theme.

What do you all think?

Do you think Lego is recreating Bionicle, or creating something new all toghter.

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

I find it unlikely they would re-create Bionicle this soon,instead i believe they will make something new.

I would not want a CCBS Ninjago, mainly because I don't like the style they give faces in CCBS, and i do not want minifig heads on CCBS bodies.

I think they should make a new them that can somehow make G2 MOCs better, like still having the same mask connection, like HF1.0, Breakout, etc did for glatorian helmets.

I liked G2.  :o

Also known as:

Aguyinahat

Aleksyi

also i write some and do some art, bad at both though.

I have to respectfully disagree with the proposed hypothesis. We’ve seen several vast style changes during Generation 1 – The Metru Nui saga was a huge change compared to the Mata Nui saga and the Bara Magna saga was very different from the previous sagas as well. In both cases they fundamentally changed the style without a cancellation being required.

What’s even more important, the brutality and cannibalization with which Generation 2 was scrapped (no Makuta set, no Mask of Ultimate power, many story arcs being instantly abandoned, the ending being completely rushed, new characters from the last wave not getting a single line of character development and many other debilitating factors) actually hurt Bionicle. I can’t imagine LEGO hurting a line they are planning to bring back a year later in such a crude way – especially considering that it wouldn’t require huge investments to make the ending far softer.

These factors give me the opinion that LEGO just wanted to get rid of Bionicle as if it were a boiling potato in their hands – which in turn fills me with great pessimism about the future of official Bionicle. I would love if your hypothesis were true. I want it to be true, but I just can’t help myself but feel filled with pessimism instead  :(

IhDIrLK.jpg

I highly doubt LEGO would cancel BIONICLE due to poor performance and then turn around and immediately revive it a year later.  From the looks of things it seems BIONICLE's lower-than-hoped-for popularity meant they had to prematurely shutter the theme, and so had no immediate replacement ready to go.  The licensed Star Wars constraction sets can ride the Star Wars boom for a while, which will give LEGO some time to do some market research and development while still having sets to fill that niche.  We don't know what, if anything, is coming after that.

• Upvote 4

OpAXNpl.jpg

From the looks of things it seems BIONICLE's lower-than-hoped-for popularity meant they had to prematurely shutter the theme, and so had no immediate replacement ready to go.  The licensed Star Wars constraction sets can ride the Star Wars boom for a while, which will give LEGO some time to do some market research and development while still having sets to fill that niche.  We don't know what, if anything, is coming after that.

What Bfahome said, but I'd like to add this:

While not a CCBS line, the new Nexo Knights battle suit figures are clearly aiming for the same 'buildable action figure' market, so perhaps they're the intended stopgap while Lego works on new CCBS sets.

Edited by Disty says hi

I did say maybe coming true.

If anything I see any Bionicle G3 being under a new name, to almost trick retailers that's it's a new theme. It would have a new story, new characters, be more small set based theme. More villager based.

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

Dude, how did you come up with those kind of "theories"? We've literally only had one example of a theme returning after the test of a CCBS theme. What bearing does the beginning of a theme herald the return of another? That's like saying Space Police came out to make way for Power Miners. It just doesn't make sense.

Why would a break after cancellation bring about improvements in one specific theme? What happened when Throwbots/Slizers tanked? They were cancelled and Lego sat around and developed Robo Riders. What happened when Robo Riders tanked? Lego sat around and developed a more personal take on the constraction idea; Bionicle. These themes have never come back, even after a long break in between. Sure those were both one-year gaps, but Lego made steady improvements and gave birth to a wonderful theme, so why should they devolve?   

Who's to say that "Bionicle" will ever return? Did anyone expect it the first time around? Why is it that people think it'll return, and so soon? It just doesn't make sense. I think it's time we calm down with these G3 theories until Lego actually says something. If they don't, well, maybe they'll think of something new for constraction, and leave Bionicle as a cherished memory. 

• Upvote 1

t5pQDlO.jpg

:i:   :n:  :a:   :r:   :y:

Who's to say that "Bionicle" will ever return? 

That's the biggets problem - I think the chances that official Bionicle will ever return are extremely slim. Financial success is necessary for a theme to return, but judging by the quick and brutal shutdown Generation 2 had no financial success whatsoever  :(

That's why fan content is now more important than ever before, because it is most probably the only life Bionicle has left. Good thing is, with modern technologies fan content in any possible form (literature, games, movies, sets, new parts) can now rival any official content, so if we as a community take on the burden of keeping Bionicle alive, we can achieve wonders that are in no way inferior to the offical content we love so much  :)

As I said at the beginning of August last year - Bionicle is dead, long live Bionicle!

Edited by Umm Durmán
  • Upvote 1

IhDIrLK.jpg

To provide background on how a new theme impacts an existing one: occasionally, LEGO changes (or scraps) product plans based on not wanting to compete with themselves. Note how we never get a nice red Creator house while there's a red City fire station on the shelves. This sort of thing is often written into contracts for licensed themes - for example, we didn't have any space themes for a few years when Star Wars first came out, and Castle was put on hiatus for the first waves of Lord of the Rings.

To provide background on how a new theme impacts an existing one: occasionally, LEGO changes (or scraps) product plans based on not wanting to compete with themselves. Note how we never get a nice red Creator house while there's a red City fire station on the shelves. This sort of thing is often written into contracts for licensed themes - for example, we didn't have any space themes for a few years when Star Wars first came out, and Castle was put on hiatus for the first waves of Lord of the Rings.

While that does make sense, that is not the point that I was attempting to make. ToaTimeLord II assumed that if no constraction series came out in the two years after Bionicle's demise, then Lego was working on Bionicle. What I was addressing was this assumption, as just because there was no word of a constraction line, does not mean that a return of Bionicle is certain. And vice versa. In this instance, the lack of a line does not guarantee the revival of another. 

t5pQDlO.jpg

:i:   :n:  :a:   :r:   :y:

Yeah, I kind of doubt Bionicle is coming back anytime soon, if at all. They're more likely to continue with-and maybe even expand upon-the Star Wars CCBS. To be honest, Lego's got enough licensed themes going that they don't really need to create a brand new theme unless they want to or think they can actually make money off of it; given G2's apparently dismal performance, I don't see why they would bother with another one at this point.

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge