Toy Fair 2017: The LEGO Batman Movie and DC Superheroes

TF17_The_LEGO_Batman_Movie_teaser.jpg

Today in our ever-growing Toy Fair 2017 coverage we're taking a look at all things DC. This includes The LEGO Batman Movie, the new DC Superhero Girls line, and... not much else. DC seems to be going all-in with the movie tie-ins and minidolls this year, and shifting focus away from their more comic and cartoon-based sets. To see sets we're getting as a result, read on!

View the full article

While Catwoman never goes up against Robin and Batgirl in the movie, I appreciate the composition of this set nonetheless—it includes both of Batman's sidekicks in a fairly cheap set, and combined with Joker's Balloon Escape gets you most of the main characters for a cheap price. Contrast the sets that can be combined to form the Gotham Energy complex—normally that kind of feature excites me and gets me wanting to "collect them all", but in this case it's tempered by the fact that collecting all of them gets you four Batmans and not a single one of his compatriots.

Most of the villain vehicles in the theme DO appear in the movie, piloted by their respective villains in the opening scene. And in fact, most of the bat-vehicles (including the "Whirly-Bat", the small gyrocopter from the Bane set that is actually based on a real Bat-vehicle from the comics) appear both in the Batcave and in the climax, piloted by the various villains from the Phantom Zone.

It bugs me a little how poorly arranged the Ultimate Batmobile was for many pictures, considering that they're arranged as if to imply them combining but the Bat-Tank is meant to attach BACKWARDS (with Alfred facing towards the rear of the vehicle).

The DC Super Hero Girls sets generally look great. Eclipso's Dark Palace in particular features lots of brightly colored Technic parts (including Magenta/Bright Reddish Violet parts for I believe the first time). I hope that dorms for each of the characters continue to be introduced in the future and that they maintain compatibility with the main Super Hero High School set.

Edited by Lyichir

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother