Toy Fair 2017: City

TF17_City_teaser.jpg

City is the last big theme we have to cover in our look at Toy Fair 2017, so here we are today. The playtheme is so big that it has its own subthemes - this year the standouts are Coast Guard, Jungle Explorers, and Police. There's a lot of variety and a lot to see - I'd venture to say that there's something for everyone here. Let's go take a look at the City offerings!

View the full article

The new sets are cool, but they're way too expensive. LEGO has been getting more and more expensive year by year, and now they're really pricy.
There are a lot of sets I'd like to own, but I'll probably buy none :\

I like the "Tomb Raider" vibe of the Jungle sets, and it's good to see vehicles that can contain more than one minifigure.

Edited by Hidron Nuva
  • Upvote 1

hidron_nuva_idea.png

The new sets are cool, but they're way too expensive. LEGO has been getting more and more expensive year by year, and now they're really pricy.

There are a lot of sets I'd like to own, but I'll probably buy none :\

The price of LEGO has actually been pretty stable in the grand scheme of things — this article is four years old but mostly still relevant. City definitely tends to be one of the pricier themes in general, probably in part on account of its popularity, but when you compare sets like last year's Airport Passenger Terminal and 2010's Airport, the new one has only nine fewer pieces, actually weighs more, and has an additional minifigure for the same sticker price.

City this year doesn't excite me nearly as much as Friends does, but "Fun at the Beach" is a great successor to last year's "Fun at the Park". More disabled representation in the Bus Station set is also never a bad thing. While Coast Guard is a series that it feels like we've seen a lot (most recently in 2013), the new sets do use some clever building techniques. And the Jungle Explorers series has a lot of the same uniqueness and novelty as the past few years' Volcano Explorers, Deep Sea Explorers, and Arctic Explorers series. I'm sure the new animal molds will be greatly appreciated by people who wish to populate a LEGO zoo!

• Upvote 1