Bionicle: Mask of Light Original Soundtrack Now Available

Yesterday, as promised, Nathan Furst's Bionicle: Mask of Light Original Soundtrack was digitally released to the world! You can check it out for yourself on Amazon ($8.99), iTunes ($10.99), Google Play ($9.49), and Spotify (free with paid subscription). The album consists of 18 tracks with a total running length of a little over an hour. After listening, feel free to drop by the Talkback and tell us your favorite tracks and how well you feel the score holds up after all these years!

View the full article

Can't wait to set aside the funds to buy the soundtrack proper! Like TheZOMBIEJ I'd also love a physical copy ( what are the chances they'll have it on vinyl? :P ). For now I'm listening to it on Spotify, and it's incredible! So clear and beautiful, definitely worth the unbelievable wait. So grateful to Nathan Furst for putting it together, he truly loves us  :inlove:

Edited by Pomegranate

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

( what are the chances they'll have it on vinyl? :P ).

For realsies though, what's up with the vinyl comeback?

Is it just trendy?

Will VHS see a hip resurgence in a decade or two?

There have been claims that vinyl records sound better or are more faithful to the original recording of the song compared to CDs. Vinyl records also look better, so maybe those claims are nostalgia-driven. That would explain vinyl's lasting appeal. However, Blu Ray video far outmatches VHS tapes in video quality. A VHS comeback would be both regressing to obsolete technology and inconvenient to consumers and video manufacturing. 

t5pQDlO.jpg

:i:   :n:  :a:   :r:   :y:

There have been claims that vinyl records sound better or are more faithful to the original recording of the song compared to CDs. Vinyl records also look better, so maybe those claims are nostalgia-driven. That would explain vinyl's lasting appeal. However, Blu Ray video far outmatches VHS tapes in video quality. A VHS comeback would be both regressing to obsolete technology and inconvenient to consumers and video manufacturing.

As if vinyl records are 'convenient' and non-anachronistic.

Vinyl sound has been called 'warmer' than CD counterpart. That just is probably a result of today's very poor CD mastering though ('Loudness War').

Once a few years have gone by and people begin realizing how much care they need to put into cleaning their records to be able to hear the music cleanly (all those nasty pops and clicks that materialize after a while... blech!) they'll also realize why vinyl was so heartily abandoned for cassette tapes.

Speaking of being more faithful to the original recordings, there are people who cling to their LaserDiscs on account of the more accurate color grading and sound mixes. I can understand that, since that's a bit more concrete, but what counts as 'original recording' for a song? In terms of faithfulness, is old mono more accurate than a new stereo mix, if only because of tech limitations of the time? Not all the changes Lucas made to Star Wars were bad.

Edited by TheSkeletonMan939

This is fantastic, I've been listening to it on Spotify quite a bit. I'm really, really hoping for a release of the Legends of Metru Nui soundtrack too. I know the two films shared a lot of music, but LoMN had some unique tracks that were fantastic.

:kakama:

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

I'm really, really hoping for a release of the Legends of Metru Nui soundtrack too. I know the two films shared a lot of music, but LoMN had some unique tracks that were fantastic.

Indeed! The best way to secure a possible release for LoMN and WoS is to buy what we have now.

You guys remember how some menu music on the LoMN DVD weren't even cues from the film (they felt like Furst's music though)? I wanna know the story behind that. A LoMN score release would answer lifelong questions.

I'm very pleased with the album. Absolutely no buyer's remorse here. The only disappointing element of the album was that I was very much hoping for an extended piano-cover of the 'Unity, Duty, Destiny' theme, improving upon the roughly 1.50 minute sampling at the end of the track. Ah well, LoMN will hopefully be out following this excellent work.

MVT Lego Space Galactic Cruiser

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/593592ef-5da6-4a2a-9422-a17e0f8438ea

Please help and support this project! Your contribution is greatly appreciated. 

It's wonderful to hear the original clear audio after all this time. Even more excitited for the LoMN soundtrack, although I think Nathan Furst said that it was incomplete due to the infamous hard disk crash. Here's to hoping anyway!

It's wonderful to hear the original clear audio after all this time. Even more excitited for the LoMN soundtrack, although I think Nathan Furst said that it was incomplete due to the infamous hard disk crash. Here's to hoping anyway!

If we are very lucky perhaps the studio has an archive, and would be willing to cooperate. At the very least I would hope they have the splits for the film (the music mix for the movie isolated).

Along the lines of the CD question--anybody found a FLAC or other lossless version available for purchase yet?

Yes.

Now I wish I'd bought it there rather than Amazon. Ah well

For those interested, I'm starting to write up an analysis/review of the score. It will take me at least one hundred years to finish, or maybe a couple weeks. Keep your eyes peeled!