On the Makoki Stone

BS01 only has a limited amount of information on the Makoki Stone after the Great Rescue: 

After the Great Rescue, the Toa Hordika, now Turaga, brought the stones to Mata Nui. When the Toa Mata brought the Makoki Stones to the Suva Kaita, the stones formed into a glowing sphere and unlocked the road to Mangaia. Once they had arrived in Mangaia, the Toa Mata recollected the Stones. They then placed three each in two niches to form demi-spheres, which opened chambers in which the Toa formed Toa Kaita.

Did the Turaga keep them? Or were they scattered throughout the island like the masks? And if the case was the latter, why would they do that to such an important artifact? 

Furthermore, when it was created by the dissident Toa to record information on the Brotherhood, why did they give it the ability to function as a key? And if that was added later on by the Rahaga, why did they chose that out of all things to act as a key for the Mask of Light?

bZpOwEr

The reason the stone has such a confusing and contradictory history is because it was initially conceived for 2001, when so many more elements of the world were mystical rather than having a full explanation. Once 2004 started to shift the tone of the story, the writers felt the need to give the stone a background, so they wrote those bits about the Hordika quest for the Avohkii and Lhikan's old team defending a fortress.

It's a lot like the sundial that Takanuva gets in 2008. Does it have a practical purpose in that year's story? No. Did it need to exist? Not at all. Was it ever seen again? No. Does it technically still exist? Yes. It was brought in just as a call-back to 2001. The difference between the sundial and the Makoki Stone is that the Stone didn't get such a callback, but the similarity between the two is that neither was intended to play a role in the story after the highly mystical 2001.

• Upvote 2

idk man

Yeah, there wasn't really anything with regards to what became of it after the Toa Mata got into Mangaia. There's also never been any indication that any Toa ever knew about its secondary purpose after Lhikan's first team got slaughtered.

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge

Indeed, the Makoki Stone has never been satisfactorily explained.

Regarding the second question, it is theorized by Vezok in Legacy of Evil that the Makoki Stone has been given the power to become a key (not to mention its name, which actually means "key") in order to distract from its true purpose, which is to contain information on the Brotherhood. However, that's Vezok's theory and it doesn't seem particularly convincing to me. The true origin of the stone is never explained; I would think it more likely that the Toa of Lhikan's first team got hold of a pre-existing artefact with the power to become a key and later decided to use it to contain the intelligence they had gathered on the Brotherhood (BS01 says the Toa themselves carved it, but I don't think it's confirmed in any source).

If an object has the power to become a key, it would make sense to use it as such, which explains why both the Rahaga and the Turaga used it as key to unlock respectively the Mask of Light's hiding place and the Suva Kaita locking the passageway to Mangaia. I don't know what the Turaga did with the stones after the Great Rescue. In 2001 I wasn't yet following Bionicle and so I don't know how large a role the stones had in that storyline; the only time I saw them in the 2001-arc is in MNOG when they appear to open the Suva Kaita, but no explanation for their presence is given. BS01 says the Toa obtained the stones along with their Golden Kanohi (another point of contention is whether they obtained their Golden Masks in their villages, like MNOG shows, or at the Suva Kaita).

It seems strange to me that the Turaga would leave the key of the Suva Kaita in the Suva Kaita itself, so I'd say the Toa were either given them by the Turaga themselves or else found them during the quest for the Kanohi. Either one is possible; the Turaga keeping the stones after the Great Rescue would make more sense, but we know that Makuta's Rahi raided the villages and so they could have stolen the stones, leaving the Toa Mata with the task to get them back. Alternatively, the Turaga kept the stones and gave them to the Mata for them to use to unlock the way to Mangaia.

As for what became of the stones after 2001, no idea. I suppose they were kept in the villages' Suva, like the Kanohi, the Nuva Symbols and all other artefacts of power.

• Upvote 2

632461607_Bannerdefinitivopiccolo.png.8e4bc632ba965c6eaef9247ce71df1d7.png
My collection of epics: The Sanctum of Writing

I think the Toa Makoki-for lack of an actual team name-were implied to have carved it, or st least entrusted with it by other Toa who did. BS01 does have a reference indicating that the stones were taken to Metru Nui and then Spherus Magna, so presumably the Toa Mata either retained or recovered them after opening the Suva Kaita.

• Upvote 2

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge

The true purpose of the Makoki Stone is whatever the Story Team felt like it was at that particular moment. They threw it in whenever it sort of fit so the long-time fans like me could gasp and go, "Hey, I remember that thing!"

• Upvote 1

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!