LEGO Ideas Roundup

There's been some news on the LEGO Ideas front over the past couple of days that we think is worth sharing. First up, Tron Legacy Light Cycle by BrickBros UK has reached ten thousand votes of support and will be entering the review phase. While this is based on the 2010 film, the model still has a lot of 80s nostalgia that's been quite successful on Ideas and in Dimensions, so it wouldn't surprise me if this made the cut. Speaking of licensed projects, Tim Courtney from the Ideas team has announced some changes to the site's guidelines. From now on, projects based on IP that LEGO has an active license for will not be accepted. Existing projects will remain in the system, but you won't see any new Star Wars, Marvel, or Midway Arcade creations from now on. What do you think of these changes? Let us know in the Talkback!

View the full article

Makes sense-although if Lego would make more use of the licenses people wouldn't feel the need to submit Ideas so much.

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge

Makes sense-although if Lego would make more use of the licenses people wouldn't feel the need to submit Ideas so much.

Maybe, but that would bring with it its own issues. Every licensed theme fan has things they wish would be produced as part of the theme, but the number of sets released in any given theme is a calculation based on demand, production capacity, and many other factors. There's a huge number of Star Wars characters and vehicles that have yet to be produced, for instance, but more obscure subjects would bring diminishing returns compared to main characters and prominent vehicles, and Lego is already producing about as many Star Wars sets per year as their sales projections indicate the market can bear. For a less perennially popular license, those factors can be even more limiting, since a license based on a standalone movie or less long-running series generally has a much shorter window in which demand will sufficient able to justify set releases.

The good news in the latter case is that this Ideas restriction, while stricter than the previous one that only applied to licenses already produced through the Ideas program, still has an exception for inactive licenses. So if a licensed theme is no longer being produced or sold by Lego in any form (and of course, is not currently held by a competing brand), it becomes fair game for Ideas once again.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Pretty psyched for the LEGO Lightcycle. I've been hoping for something like that since Legacy came out, and the model looks great, too. Crossing my fingers it won't be too expensive.

Somewhat in spite of the previous comments, I am happy to see LEGO trying to focus more on using Ideas to get original concepts from the fans.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!