• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes
  • Participate in raffles to win LEGO prizes
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

Bionicle the Game research and discoveries

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Hexadecimal Mantis

Hexadecimal Mantis
  • Members
  • Inhabitant

• 21-September 16
  • 6 posts

Posted Apr 17 2017 - 01:09 PM

Greetings Bionicle fans, I was always interested in Bionicle The Game because so much content was cut due to time constraints. So I decided to begin exploring the ps2 port and I found some interesting stuff.

To start, some very talented people over at biomediaproject.com and rockraidersunited.com figured out the file formats used in the game, making my research a lot easier.

I began my research by making the iso boot straight to the Hidden Level Select. This can be done by replacing this hex string 0080000000801028 with this hex string 008000000068722B. Multiple unused levels are present in the Level Select, including the cut Lewa Mata level. However, most of the levels do not work. I will explain more about that later.

I decided to figure out what was inside some of the unused archives. Using a python script created by JrMasterModelBuilder and edited maver1kxvii I was able to decompress the archives. I'm sure most people wouldn't find plaintext in a hex editor very interesting, so here is some content found with maver1kxvii's noesis script.

The following content is from the cut Lewa Mata level:

http://i.imgur.com/J3oHMCw.png

This image looks like an unused Matoran collection icon.

http://i.imgur.com/kmtfSCX.png

This image looks like the Lewa Mata avatar seen in the tech demo trailers.

Strangely enough, there appears to be Gali Mata and Ta Matoran textures in the archive as well.

There is a way to get some of the unused levels to work. This can be done changing the wad version of the archives. This can be done by changing the eighth byte in header of the archive to 74 which is 114 in hex. This makes a some of the unused levels work, some better than others. Sadly the cut Lewa Mata level still does not work. 

Here is some documentation on what the character archives load:

10-00.pss loads Tahu Mata
15-00.pss loads Tahu Nuva
20-00.pss loads Lewa Nuva (can fly)
21-00.pss loads Lewa Nuva (can't fly)
30-00.pss loads Gali Nuva
40-00.pss loads Onua Nuva
50-00.pss loads Pohatu Nuva
60-00.pss loads Kopaka Mata
61-00.pss (missing file) presumably loads an older version of Kopaka Mata
66-00.pss (missing file) presumably loads an older version of Onua Nuva
78-00.pss loads Takanuva
88-00.pss loads an older version of Onua Nuva
91-00.pss (nonfunctional file) presumably loads an older version of Tahu Mata
92-00.pss (nonfunctional file) presumably loads Lewa Mata
95-00.pss loads an older version of Onua Nuva
97-00.pss loads an older version of Lewa Nuva (can fly)

In conclusion, there is still so much to discover inside this mysterious game.

My album of unused levels can be found here: http://imgur.com/a/QffeN

My upcoming YouTube series of unused music tracks can be found on my channel: https://www.youtube....JcekYskqVc-NPwQ

EDIT: If you want to look through an unused archive, here is 92-00.pss. The zip includes the compressed archive, decompressed archive, and the extracted images. Tell me if you find anything interesting!

https://drive.google...NXh5QVpQTlMyLTA

Edited by Hexadecimal Mantis, Apr 19 2017 - 09:47 AM.

#2 Offline Pohaturon

Pohaturon
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Makuta Conquered!

• 11-March 07
  • 589 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 17 2017 - 09:04 PM

Digging through files to find things like this has always fascinated me, but I lack the technical expertise to do it myself. In any case, it's interesting to get a glimpse of what might have been. Massive props for taking the time to do all this mate!

:kakama:

Stone does not bend. Stone does not break. Stone endures. :kakama: 

"The fish was wet and slimy, and decidedly dead." - George Stobbart, Broken Sword

I write stories, which you can read at A Beach, Somewhere

#3 Offline Pereki

Pereki
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Fluidic Master Nuva

• 29-November 06
  • 1,336 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 17 2017 - 09:21 PM

Nice! Super cool to see this, looking forward to anything else you dig up.  :D

#4 Offline TheSkeletonMan939

TheSkeletonMan939
  • Outstanding BZPower Citizens
  • Flying Force!

• 06-April 10
  • 2,430 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Apr 17 2017 - 09:40 PM

Woah! Unused music?  :o I wonder if it's from some stock music library or if it's actually an early track for the game.

Edited by TheSkeletonMan939, Apr 17 2017 - 09:40 PM.

"habeo hic adagium falsum ut callidus videor.~ Nemo

MASK OF LIGHT SOUNDTRACK - REVIEW!

New Old Video - 10 Years of G1, and Hello G2! Check it out!

#5 Offline Hexadecimal Mantis

Hexadecimal Mantis
  • Members
  • Inhabitant

• 21-September 16
  • 6 posts

Posted Apr 18 2017 - 11:01 AM

Most of the unused music is very similar to the music used in the final version. However, An unused Ga Wahi track is very interesting.

#6 Offline Illuminatus

Illuminatus
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Mask of Light Unveiled

• 07-January 05
  • 5,296 posts

Posted Apr 18 2017 - 02:59 PM

This is brilliant! Great work.

I've personally managed to get Kopaka Mata to walk his way to a hidden part of the level, not by hacking or reverse engineering or anything of the sort. There is just a glitch in the level that let's you walk instead of glide if you press "/" before Kopaka lands on his shield. The particular instance of the village is accessible by walking away from the boulder before it blocks the entire way and then waiting it out. You can go ahead and try it on PS2.

$50 OR MORE FOR THIS CD! C4oo0TM.png $50 OR MORE FOR THIS CD!

#7 Offline Hexadecimal Mantis

Hexadecimal Mantis
  • Members
  • Inhabitant

• 21-September 16
  • 6 posts

Posted Apr 18 2017 - 07:34 PM

I got Kopaka Mata and Tahu Nuva on foot before by changing what character the game loads. I actually tried the method you stated above on ps2 a while ago. Its a bit harder to time because the ps2 port is slightly more polished than the other ports of the game, but it's still possible to do.

Edited by Hexadecimal Mantis, Apr 18 2017 - 07:34 PM.

#8 Offline Sir Kohran

Sir Kohran
  • Members
  • Gahlok-Kal Attacks!

• 14-April 02
  • 3,467 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 20 2017 - 06:45 PM

I've personally managed to get Kopaka Mata to walk his way to a hidden part of the level, not by hacking or reverse engineering or anything of the sort. There is just a glitch in the level that let's you walk instead of glide if you press "/" before Kopaka lands on his shield. The particular instance of the village is accessible by walking away from the boulder before it blocks the entire way and then waiting it out. You can go ahead and try it on PS2.

Is there much to see in there?

#9 Offline Kopekemaster

Kopekemaster
  • Members
  • Stone Champion Nuva

• 22-October 11
  • 1,522 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 21 2017 - 06:39 PM

B:TG has always been my favorite Bionicle game, so this is pretty awesome to see. I didn't know they cut stuff out, but it makes a lot of sense, given that not all Toa (both Mata and Nuva versions) are represented

Oh man, this is really making me want to replay the game. It's been such a long time...

#10 Offline masterchirox580

masterchirox580
  • Members
  • Emerging Stone Champion

• 17-September 14
  • 1,482 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 22 2017 - 10:14 AM

Really appreciate this. I remember seeing trailers for the Lewa mata stage on an old minidisc back in 2003 and wondering where I could play it (it looked like such an awesome game in the trailers). This game had such potential but it got ruined by time constraints. I find this to be the case with all bionicle games. They all had such potential beyond the world of adobe flash but developers never took advantage. Such a shame.

Like what I have to say? Well check out my biotube channel by clicking the link below.

https://www.youtube...._9nbTB8hw2Uac8Q

#11 Offline evil_jaga_genius

evil_jaga_genius
  • Members
  • Conqueror of the Swarm!

• 17-January 15
  • 705 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 22 2017 - 11:56 AM

I recall a guy going by fattermadigan on the BioMedia Project forums posting up 3D models of all the Toa - all six, Mata and Nuva, not just the ones that had levels in the game.  I'm curious, are there models for all the Toa Mata and Toa Nuva in the game, or did he recreate them from scratch?

Here's the link to the forum post:  http://biomediaproje...ic.php?f=4&t=88

The raving lunatic behind Adventure Posts and The Isle of Malkhar

Skyrise profile: Dedris + the Chieftain

If I don't respond in the RPG, send me a PM about it and I'll try and get stuff worked out

#12 Offline Hexadecimal Mantis

Hexadecimal Mantis
  • Members
  • Inhabitant

• 21-September 16
  • 6 posts

Posted Apr 22 2017 - 12:45 PM

All of the Toa Mata models are present in the game's files. But not all of the Toa Nuva models. Kopaka Nuva is missing.

#13 Offline Illuminatus

Illuminatus
  • Premier Member
  • Mask of Light Unveiled

• 07-January 05
  • 5,296 posts

Posted Apr 22 2017 - 05:07 PM

Is there much to see in there?

Quite a lot.

#14 Offline Hexadecimal Mantis

Hexadecimal Mantis
  • Members
  • Inhabitant

• 21-September 16
  • 6 posts

Posted Apr 22 2017 - 06:17 PM

I have been working with the Kopaka Mata level lately. I was able to access the Kini area by performing the shield glitch and killing the timer! http://i.imgur.com/kXedgN2.png

#15 Offline Illuminatus

Illuminatus
  • Premier Member
  • Mask of Light Unveiled

• 07-January 05
  • 5,296 posts

Posted Apr 23 2017 - 06:05 AM

That is awesome! I've always wondered how I could kill the timer. Any idea if that can happen on PC?

#16 Offline Hexadecimal Mantis

Hexadecimal Mantis
  • Members
  • Inhabitant

• 21-September 16
  • 6 posts

Posted Apr 23 2017 - 10:27 AM

I did it by jumping off the shield at the beginning of the level and walking backwards until the timer disappeared. I haven't tried it on pc though.

EDIT: I have YouTube video of the Kini now 

Edited by Hexadecimal Mantis, Apr 23 2017 - 06:17 PM.

#17 Online Toa Imrukii

Toa Imrukii
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Emerging Mata Nuian Protector

• 01-March 14
  • 1,619 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 23 2017 - 08:06 PM

That is awesome! I've always wondered how I could kill the timer. Any idea if that can happen on PC?

I did it by jumping off the shield at the beginning of the level and walking backwards until the timer disappeared. I haven't tried it on pc though.

EDIT: I have YouTube video of the Kini now https://www.youtube....h?v=KsG-sJ4O95o

Yeah, I did that once myself I think on either the PC version or the Console Version, but I had no idea what was going on, so I just restarted.

Quote of the Month: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance."

:t: :m_o: :a:     :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i:

a_heroes_stance.png
A RUDE AWAKENING - A BIONICLE G1 Continuation and Video Game Project (ARTIST AND CONCEPTUALIST) | I am an ENFP, that is my Personality.
Check Out Makuta Teridax: Reaper of Darkness | Check out my Taknuva Stars MOC |

#18 Offline Illuminatus

Illuminatus
  • Premier Member
  • Mask of Light Unveiled

• 07-January 05
  • 5,296 posts

Posted Apr 25 2017 - 05:40 AM

I've tried that on PC and the timer never disappeared, I think. I'll need to give it another shot.

Great video.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users