Skull Dragon (70791-4 Combiner Model)

1AqM9bY.jpg

A wizened elder from the Region of Earth often speaks of a legendary creature that slumbers deep below the ground of Okoto. Though there are none who can confirm his claim, so too are there none who can disprove it, for no one has dared ventured to the place the elder describes as the great beast’s location.

In his saga, he recounts his arduous journey where he traverses innumerable tunnels, caverns and chasms on a quest he was fated to walk alone. He takes pleasure in describing his encounters with multi-headed scorpions, moles that breathed fire, and geodes of rock and crystal that he swears moved on their own accord.

At the climax of his fable he tells of a great tomb, hewn from the purest of crystal by ancient, mysterious hands. Venturing within its innermost chamber, he beheld a wondrous sight – a mighty sleeping dragon curled up atop a huge pile of bones, shimmering in a magnificent kaleidoscope of colour.

With great spectacle the elder describes the moment where the dragon’s eye opened, it’s penetrating gaze boring into his very mind and heart. To the wicked and selfish, the dragon shall show no quarter, it’s splendorous breath of light withering the unworthy’s very spirit before finally burning away their flesh, leaving nothing left of them but their skeleton to add to its heap.

But to the righteous and pure of heart, to the ones who live a life of integrity and selflessness; with an earthshattering ‘doot’ of its trumpet it shall bestow a grand gift of calcium and strong bones.

This is a combiner model made solely from the pieces contained in the sets 70791 Skull Warrior, 70792 Skull Slicer, 70793 Skull Basher and 70794 Skull Scorpio.

I only just got the Skull Slicer last month, so I thought it would be neat to do another G2-style combiner (even if it is a tad late). Pretty happy with how this turned out - the biggest challenge was by far finding ways to use that absolute rainbow of neon colours you've got without this looking too horrid.

Edited by Poor Disadvantaged
  • Upvote 5

Great MOC! I think the head is what jumps out as a great build to be the most. G2 had such great potential for official combination models that was explored so little.

This is honestly a beautiful model. The only complaint I have is that I'd have preferred to see the arm spikes distributed evenly, with three gunmetal gray ones and one trans-blue one of each arm. I know, with the colors in the sets, it can't be fully symmetrical, and I appreciate you had the blue ribcage connected to the blue spines, but I still generally lean to making combination MOCs chromatically symmetrical as much as possible. That's really a nitpick, though; this is a stunningly good model.

• Upvote 1

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Now this is a model I really dig. I like the way the colours are divided into sections and the head looks really neat. He's a flawless combination of the skeleton sets and I'm having trouble critiqueing it because everything is just right.

• Upvote 1