Bionicle in the Lego Movie sequels/universe?

Alyska

Bionicle got a very brief shoutout in both The Lego Movie and Lego Batman, confirming that the characters do exist in the Lego Movie's universe. But, is there any possibility that they could put in an appearance, and how should it be done?

There are a few obvious obstacles to making this work:

1. The sheer size of the sets compared to the minifigure characters. This means that it's hard to make them work as major characters but could make for some fun cameos.

2. The characters don't have expressive faces like the minifigures do (assume we're sticking to the animators' rules that the characters can only move the way the sets do).There's room for expressive body language, but once again, best suited to a one-off gag or cameo.

3. Making it work for non-Bionicle fans. It has to work with the silly tone of the film, so any Bionicle humour has to either be accessible to those that aren't familiar with Bionicle, or so brief that it doesn't matter if people miss it.

That said, I definitely think it could be done. I'm sort of hoping they also get the rights to use some more Disney characters in the sequel, because that opens up a lot of potential for crossover gags.

Like if Emmet and co are travelling by sea with Metalbeard, they come across a Moana minidoll in her boat. She asks Metalbeard for help wayfinding back to her island, Motunui. He obliges, gives her some directions, and she sails off. Later cut to Moana standing on the shore of an island, surrounded by very confused Matoran, muttering "This isn't right..."

Okay, that one was a little obvious, but I'm sure there are other fun ways Bionicle could be included.

How do you think Bionicle should be handled in the Lego 'verse?

• Upvote 2

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

I don't know what the chances are of Bionicle characters appearing in The LEGO Movie sequels or spin-offs, but I do think it's more likely than it appearing in the original LEGO Movie. The first movie was still setting up the idea of a world made entirely of LEGO, and also was taking great care to make the non-LEGO "relics" stand out from everything else, so the creators might have been hesitant to incorporate much LEGO stuff that might not be immediately recognizable as LEGO. But now that the world and its style are established I think it could more easily incorporate less traditional sorts of LEGO figures like Bionicle characters, Friends mini-dolls, "bigfigs", etc.

Even if there are Bionicle character cameos, I wouldn't particularly expect them to reference actual Bionicle lore beyond maybe name-dropping a character or two. Even your Moana example is a bit borderline, since a person who isn't familiar with Bionicle G1's original setting of Mata Nui probably wouldn't get the joke unless it were spelled out for them a little more clearly. But in the very least, I would expect to see more Bionicle-related easter eggs like were present in The LEGO Movie and The LEGO Batman Movie.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 1

I agree, I'm leaning toward not rocking the boat and being thankful with what we've got. I thought the reference in TLM was funny and appreciated, and I missed the reference in LEGO Batman, but it sounds like it was good. As long as it's something not too hard to find, like in Batman, I'm always glad to see BIONICLE referenced in any capacity.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Isn't there potentially a legal hang up with Miramax or whatever?

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge