Toa Gali Nuva 3D Artwork/Poster

00dude00

This piece has been a long time in the making and I'm glad to finally be able to show it off to you guys! I made it in entirely from scratch in Blender 3D and did the editing in GIMP. Here is a link to my Deviantart page where you can view it at full size and even buy a print if you'd like to have this bad boy hanging on your wall: Link

34668392685_75bec7496b.jpg

Feel free to zoom in and see all the small details in the armor and the grungy texture of the metal. One of the things I'm really proud of with this piece is the inclusion of the muscles, something that is often left by the wayside when making Bionicle artwork. I thought it would kind of make sense to have the muscles look a little more artificial and having them also be Gali's complementary colors helps them pop and add visual interest to her color scheme. Another interesting decision that I made with this model was to actually hand draw the eyes rather than having them be actual geometry. I decided to go for a more cartoony look for the eyes because I felt that it allowed more room for expression than the mechanical eyes that I've tried in the past.

Aside from the face the model is actually fully rigged and ready for animation - the muscles stretch and contract when the limbs are moved and the pistons and various other pieces all function as you would expect! this was a big undertaking for me and was something that I felt was really important to include. I'm not actually an animator though, so I probably won't be making any videos with this model. If you're into animating with Blender though feel free to shoot me a message and I'd be open to letting you use the model provided you credit me!

Thanks guys and I hope you enjoyed seeing this!

• Upvote 15

Nice. The level of detail is pretty amazing, and I think my favorite part is that you added the gears too. However, something with the normal looking eyes just seems off... Maybe it's just me used to the rectangular eyes for so long.

Great work, thanks for sharing!

:music:

So cool! And quite close to the original set, too (way more than the MoL version anyway). Her expression reminds me for some reason of Ashoka from Star Wars: the Clone Wars. I wouldn't have disliked more mechanical eyes, but that's my personal taste.

It would be a shame not to use this model for more renders, since it's fully rigged ^_^

I would like to see some renders of this in an idle position to get a closer look at the details.

Are you planning to make some other Toa Nuva as well?

hidron_nuva_idea.png

• 4 weeks later...

WOW!!!

This is incredible! I remember your work from ages ago and it's so amazing to see your creations getting better and better and better! The model looks so intricate and interesting, I love your unique take on the design and mechanisms and how well you executed it, it looks so feasible and weighty. The attention to detail is what really makes this, the little grooves and the edges, the rivets, the lines going around the ball joints. I'm ecstatic that you have the shoulder gears in there. I love how it looks like a proper humanoid robot, and yet so many bits and sections look almost exactly like the LEGO pieces they're based on! The muscles were done really well too, I'm also a big fan of those. I think the hexagon pattern you have on them is what sells it. Overall the textures are really impressive and very well chosen. Gives the render a lot of realism, helps add some great scale to her. Color choices are real nice too, the dark blue is so rich. I think it's your color pattern that helps the humanoid face work, it's hard to get that to not look super weird on a predominantly robotic Bionicle character. Really great job on that, she looks so natural and pleasant! Also, huge props for the water render!! I can't even wrap my head around how that was made, but it looks so much like the water effects from Mask of Light, which is so characteristic of Gali in my head. And there's so much going on with it! Gorgeous. I love your pose and composition overall, it really hits you like a freeze-frame (almost slow-motion, even!) of a great mid-action hero shot. Just excellent, magnificent work! Especially for one person!! Who also rigged it so well!! That's really hard to pull off and you should be really really proud of this piece.

My only qualms is with the lighting and rendering; the pure white light that's reflecting over most of the figure and water kind of gives this really artificial or fluorescent look, which stands out in a bad way in my opinion since the piece looks like it should be a more natural, outdoorsy, kind of atmospheric shot. You had the right idea with the yellowing light coming from the front, I think if you applied that sort of more subdued, colored light from other angles it would help. On the other hand, the really bright main lights leaving all these white streaks and subtle rim light and glares and glossiness all over the figure REALLY make her pop and feel three-dimensional, and it's really dynamic so it doesn't feel like a flat render of a 3D model. She's really jumping out of the screen. I think having a bit stronger shadows or atmospheric lighting or just like more lighting towards the top or something would push the dimension/perspective of it that extra 10%. One other thing is the aforementioned glossiness; I love the weathered look she has, but I feel like the spectacular is a bit patchy and the bump is too low or maybe just too vague. The surfaces look really flat/smooth, more discolored than actually dirty or pitted or scratched or anything; again there's a flipside to this, because it's not super noticeable and the really glossy bits work so well with the overall shininess for the robotic look. I just can't tell if it's supposed to be like a mix of metals and plastics, or if it's meant to be all metal with a paintjob? Either way, that's like a really minor nitpick 'cause I can see that realistic pitting in the shoulder armor where the yellow light hits, so it may just be a lighting thing. But really, the textures are so great otherwise and really bring Gali to life, and the render is very very good!

I love this, thanks so much for sharing this with us! Keep making things like these and developing your amazing talents! I so wish I could animate in Blender, but I can't, so I'm hoping someone else sees this and gives it a go! Maybe Tohkann: Toa of Arts can do something with it? :D :D

(Oh, and any chance we could see more angles of this incredible model? Maybe the wireframe, if you wanna show it off? :D)

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful.  I easily get the feel that this is a major update of her Mask of Light character model with the muscles and the overall shapes of the armor.  But what got my attention was actually the mask.  With the grey/silver human lips and the shape of the eyeholes and mask itself, I'm reminded of X1 Mask from Hikari Sentai Maskman.

The face looks kinda off, but the design is sound.  I could see this being used as an alternative for her Mask of Light design.

Edited by Endless Sea (Alaki Nuva)

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

Amazing! I love the level of detail for the armor but most of all the anatomy! The pistons, the gearbox! It's so cool and you've outdone yourself. Would love to see a basic walk cycle to see how the pistons and muscles react. 

Awesome job man!

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know this is a somewhat late response, but wow, thanks everyone! Especially Pomegranate who took the time to write such a detailed response! I can see that you're very observant as so many of the things you said were things that I was thinking about while making this. As for those who wanted to see a neutral position/wire frame shot I'll see what I can do!