Expanded Multiverse Discussion Topic

So I have some mask ideas:

Kanohi Zetax, the Mask of Mental Return

Allows the user to "return," so-to-speak, to a past version of their mind. The effect of the use of this mask is permanent. The user forgets everything from the "return-point" on. Basic knowledge of the five w's are still retained. Some beings could use this to carve out a new life for themselves.

An example of use would be a toa (Canon example Lesovikk) who is very traumatized by event X. If they had this mask, they could "erase" all memories form that moment on.

Kanohi Eupho (Ay-foe), the Mask of Emotional Override

Allows the user to "implant" their emotions into another being or beings ("Victim(s)"). The mask is always on at a low level. Ex: a very angry makuta could make a toa feel nothing but wrath.

Kanohi Borili, the Mask of Shapeshifting

Allows the user to temporarily completely shapeshift into any living being, object, or thing (toa, rock, vahki, respectively), given that they're on the planet at the time of shapeshifting. The kanohi also allows the user to temporarily gain access of the "victim's" powers and element, overriding the user's powers and element. The kanohi also changes shape to match the being's mask, but it doesn't change power. Basically, if the being exists on the planet at the time of use, it can be shapeshifted into.

Restrictions:

-Requires focus

-Mass of "victim" cannot exceed 1.5 times that of user

-The victim cannot be the only one of its kind or the last of its species

-Size alteration and reconstitution/mutation of existing beings is inhibited by the mask

-The mask takes about a day to "recharge" the life energy used to shapeshift and/or change size.

--Shapeshifting back does not take life energy and can therefore be done in the same day

I don't know. I tried to not make the mask too overpowered. Also, can there theoretically be a failsafe in the mask that prevents conjunction with an Inakko and a Kenalgi?

--xanthorp_sig.jpg--

01-01the_chronology_of_enigma.png

The Review Topic for this project

I hope you like them!

• 4 months later...

Sorry I've fallen so ridiculously far behind with this topic. Thankfully it's just in time spent rather than amount to say. :P

Note: Main reason I've been delaying work on EM is that canon-fit retelling of Bionicle history I'm working on. Once that's complete I hope to write the Season 1 finale for the EM, and get the Shards polls up and suchnot.

So I have some mask ideas:

Kanohi Zetax, the Mask of Mental Return

Allows the user to "return," so-to-speak, to a past version of their mind. The effect of the use of this mask is permanent. The user forgets everything from the "return-point" on. Basic knowledge of the five w's are still retained. Some beings could use this to carve out a new life for themselves.

An example of use would be a toa (Canon example Lesovikk) who is very traumatized by event X. If they had this mask, they could "erase" all memories form that moment on.

Kanohi Eupho (Ay-foe), the Mask of Emotional Override

Allows the user to "implant" their emotions into another being or beings ("Victim(s)"). The mask is always on at a low level. Ex: a very angry makuta could make a toa feel nothing but wrath.

Kanohi Borili, the Mask of Shapeshifting

Allows the user to temporarily completely shapeshift into any living being, object, or thing (toa, rock, vahki, respectively), given that they're on the planet at the time of shapeshifting. The kanohi also allows the user to temporarily gain access of the "victim's" powers and element, overriding the user's powers and element. The kanohi also changes shape to match the being's mask, but it doesn't change power. Basically, if the being exists on the planet at the time of use, it can be shapeshifted into.

Restrictions:

-Requires focus

-Mass of "victim" cannot exceed 1.5 times that of user

-The victim cannot be the only one of its kind or the last of its species

-Size alteration and reconstitution/mutation of existing beings is inhibited by the mask

-The mask takes about a day to "recharge" the life energy used to shapeshift and/or change size.

--Shapeshifting back does not take life energy and can therefore be done in the same day

I don't know. I tried to not make the mask too overpowered. Also, can there theoretically be a failsafe in the mask that prevents conjunction with an Inakko and a Kenalgi?

Mental Return -- This power is a nice idea, but why would it be a mask? I have trouble imagining that many people would want to wear that power on their faces normally. :P Maybe we should have a section for fan-submitted tool/artifact powers?

Emotional Override -- Firstly, that's an odd pronunciation for that spelling. Looks like Yoofo (Europe in SAE is pronounced Yurupp). But that's irrelevant to the power. My first thought is it may be too similar to the Mask of Emotion I already submitted from my Paracosmos masks. However, I can see a case made for it being separate due to the specific limitations. If you're still around (sorry again for delay *winces*) I'll let you decide if you still want it as a separate mask (say so if so, and I'll add it).

Shapeshifting -- this seems reasonable, but suggest a different name, since it involves taking on their powers too. Something like replacing, doppleganger... eh.

I think Ghost needs some clarification. It says semi-tangible energy structures, does that mean that it lets you touch others with them, but they can't touch them back?

It means partially tangible, kind of like a gel. It's not about a split effect as you describe, but rather simply behaving like a solid, but one that is somewhat intangible. Meaning if you push hard enough you could probably go through it. A Toa of Ghost could control a range of this from almost totally intangible to almost totally solid.

If you wanted to create a split-effect, you'd have to dial back the tangibility when a target tried to touch the ghost material back, as I see it, off the top of my head. But I wouldn't rule out such an automatic split effect if you want to use it that way, it's just not what I had in mind. :shrugs:

Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I just had this idea for a character with that power, though the way you describe it also sounds fairly viable, I'll have to see where it goes

Either way, rest assured I'll be writing some EM fics in the near future.

Say, you may want to fix the Cipher Chronicles links in the reference topic, they're broken, and I was looking forward to reading it.

BZPRPG Profiles

Nuparu-Ferron-Mar-Zelvin-Wiremu-Farzan-Mako-Krex-Tamachan-???

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

The links are broken because BZPower's archived old forums are down. I have no control over that unfortunately. You could try googling the titles to see if there's cache versions of them. :shrugs:

I was thinking recently too that if the archives don't come up soon I may request permission to repost all episodes on the new forum. Not sure how easy that'll be; some edits might not be gettable and the like, but anywho, it's one route we might go.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Googling yielded approximately silch trace of the CC, that's a tad disconcerting, I guess that leaves us with only one option.

Here's another question: The guide states that Agent attacks are somewhat common, though never explained. What exactly is the nature of these attacks, like, what would typically happen?

BZPRPG Profiles

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

The most random one seen in the Cipher Chronicles (Whilst doing my best not to spoil them for you) involved an Agent arriving, thwarting all defense with minimum damage, only to steal an item of supposedly no value whatsoever. Basically the motives aren't always very clear, but the intention is never to kill anyone.

Glad to see this topic is back up top, I was beginning to worry the EM was done.

Edited by Taipu1

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't

I've made some progress on them recently. Almost done with checking all the new entries against the old (since there were three opportunities to post, two to repost, due to various issues, I have to make sure just the most up-to-date versions are in polls if they were reposted, which means checking each one manually).

The most random one seen in the Cipher Chronicles (Whilst doing my best not to spoil them for you) involved an Agent arriving, thwarting all defense with minimum damage, only to steal an item of supposedly no value whatsoever. Basically the motives aren't always very clear, but the intention is never to kill anyone.

Glad to see this topic is back up top, I was beginning to worry the EM was done.

And FTR, that was in the first episode. I was gonna answer that reading that episode is probably the best way to learn the answer to that.

So, I'm working on putting together a general outline and "story bible" for an EM epic I'll hopefully be writing soon, but I'll need clarification on a few things that have escaped my notice browsing the reference topic.

1. How is cargo transported to the cargo stars, is it a teleportation system or some sort of remote-controlled vehicles?

2. How would a Makuta typically gain access to Energized Protodermis?

3. Is Wiki Nui a full-blown tech city or is there a significant wildlife and plantlife presence?

BZPRPG Profiles

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

So, I'm working on putting together a general outline and "story bible" for an EM epic I'll hopefully be writing soon, but I'll need clarification on a few things that have escaped my notice browsing the reference topic.

1. How is cargo transported to the cargo stars, is it a teleportation system or some sort of remote-controlled vehicles?

2. How would a Makuta typically gain access to Energized Protodermis?

3. Is Wiki Nui a full-blown tech city or is there a significant wildlife and plantlife presence?

1) Robotic spaceship.

2) I'm a little foggy on this but I know we said the Wiki-Nui Museum has EP stored in some (locked) rooms. So a Makuta who was good (it can happen in the EM :P) could possibly get some kind of contract with them. What I forget is if we ever said that was the ONLY known EP on the main planets or not.

Probably not because we generally like to avoid painting into corners here. But I think whatever the answer is, was stated in the Wiki-Nui part of the 100-page guide.

3) The latter. A skyscraper shown in Sticks and Stones for example was hollow in the middle with a garden at the base, and signicant potted plants. And outside the buildings there's sprawling forests dominated by the Blue Spring flower trees.

I don't suppose there's another Cipher Chronicles episode on the way soon?

Anyhow, I have a suggestion for a mask. Actually, it already sort of exists.

Kanohi WhateveritiswecalleditbackwhentherewasaBRC, the Mask of Reference

A mask that was given by the government of BZ-Koro to the former Reference Keepers. It was required to change anything within the Reference Center, and has the power to record knowledge within it that can be accessed by the wearer at any time. Now that the Reference Team has been disbanded, the former members still have their Masks of Reference, but can't use them to change the Reference Center's information, which has been placed in the BZ-Koro archived forum records.

Edited by LewaLew
How well will you die?

First I'm trying to finish that canon-fit history retelling (The Destiny of Bionicle), then I hope to get to the CC Season 1 finale (well, after Shards polls).

And I very much like the idea of using the Mask of Reference! (How did I not think of this? :P) I can approve that, although a re-wording to say the general power definition first and then get to the Reference Keeper part would be better methinks. At first I thought you were defining an RK-only mask with the arrangement as-is (but that'd be a very minor change, so consider it approved; remind me to add it if I don't within a few weeks or so; out of time now).

Thought of a strange new mask with a strange backstory:

Mask of Alternate Minds

Created from the essence of the void that exists between all known universes, this mask allows the user to, if not used wisely, permanatly swap minds with an alternate counterpart. This power cannot allow the user to swap minds with an alternate self in the same universe and is rendered useless if the wearer is a multiversal singularity (if there is any).

I'll give an example in its use if asked in a later post.

-Tomdroidser

Featuring: Arkham Firefly/The LEGO Movie Quiz

Now Entering: The Rise of DarkSaber
Two personal thanks to Black Six for Proto Boost.
(Expired) Topics: HF MOC BBC #69 Entry: Jaller Inika Rebuilt 

There is no such thing as perfection, except in being yourself.kanohi_avkama.gif

Mask of Alternate Minds

Created from the essence of the void that exists between all known universes, this mask allows the user to, if not used wisely, permanatly swap minds with an alternate counterpart. This power cannot allow the user to swap minds with an alternate self in the same universe and is rendered useless if the wearer is a multiversal singularity (if there is any).

-Tomdroidser

What if their alternate universe counterpart cottoned on to what happened, and used the mask to switch back immediately? Or is who they swap with random?

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Taips, I think he just said that it wouldn't work on an alternate version of the same being, so that wouldn't be an issue, really. :P

No, I think he meant alternate versions in the same universe. Like Takanuva couldn't swap his mind with any of the Shadow Takanuvas that Tridax brought to the MU. Otherwise who would they be swapping their mind with?

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Mask of Alternate Minds

-Tomdroidser

I do have several major issues with this.

First of all, I would shy away from one-time use masks to populate the fan-suggested masks list in the first place. It's not what we had in mind for that list. Granted that canonically there is a one-use mask, the Mask of Elemental Energy, but I tend to reinterpret that in my stories as multi-use like any other mask for the same reason. The word permanent in there is an issue.

You do imply that it's only permanent if not used wisely, but what would a wise use be? Perhaps the main problem is I'm just not understanding this right.

Also, I assume that by singularity you mean a person with no alternate counterpart at all (rather than a black hole :P). I can confirm there's no such thing, so no real need to include that.

Another issue is that the void that exists between universes and leaping between other dimensions is about the closest you can get to "sacred" in the Multiverse, since one of the biggest story mysteries is how the Olmak in that void is related to the origins of the Multiverse itself, and it's difficult just to watch an alternate self (as Kyn did with a very expensive machine). If there was such a mask as this I think it would cheapen these things. Especially to say that it is created from the essence of the void. That would imply it's the only mask, for one, so isn't of much use on a "feel free to use for other characters" list, and also kinda implies this would be nearly as valuable as the fragments of the original Olmak itself. That's a bit much. :P

I would be okay with you using this in a story anyways as a local top-secret thing that doesn't affect wider story, but I'm having trouble seeing it as good for the list.

However, a modification to make the swap temporary, make it not a lone mask, and not mentioning anything about the void, etc. might work out.

Revised from my original idea:

Mask of Alternate Minds

A reletively unusual mask, this mask allows the user to, if not used wisely, temperarily swap minds with an alternate counterpart. This power cannot allow the user to swap minds with an alternate self in the same universe and is rendered useless if the wearer is a multiversal singularity (if there is any). The mask's effect wears off anywhere between one day to one week.

And something very different:

Mask of Self-Restriction

The mask limits or "drains" the strength, power, and energy of its wearer when it's considered "inactive." When the mask is "active," the wearer loses the "limiters" and is unrestricted. Restrictions are set by the wearer once the wearer starts wearing the mask. Commonly worn by beings considered "abnormal" or "overpowered."

-Tomdroidser

There is no such thing as perfection, except in being yourself.kanohi_avkama.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Conveniently enough, I happen to have PDF versions of all the Cipher Chronicles episodes so far (they're sooo good, congratulations to all the writers).

Safety in Numbers

Escape the Fire

Cold Truth

Sticks and Stones

Current Events

I didn't actually check if the archives of them are still down, but if they do again or if anyone wants offline versions of the Cipher Chronicles, I'll leave these here.

If the Kanohi masks are a type of technology and most of the MU citizens are Biomechanical beings then how would a Kanohi mask recognize the difference between a Matoran and a Toa?

Muffin button

I actually like the Mask of Restriction - plot-wise, it allows for some great "I am not left-handed" moments, and it also allows characters who want to be "normal" to live that way if they have the funds.

BZPRPG TIME, where you could have one post talk about dinner, and the next about lunch.

Time is beyond relative here.

There's no reason not to put lasers in the palms of planet-sized robots. In fact, if I had my own planet-sized robot, palm lasers would be one of my first upgrades.

BZPRPG Profiles [outdated]

May or may not be back from a multi-year hiatus. We'll see how this works out...

A reletively unusual mask, this mask allows the user to, if not used wisely, temperarily swap minds with an alternate counterpart. This power cannot allow the user to swap minds with an alternate self in the same universe and is rendered useless if the wearer is a multiversal singularity (if there is any). The mask's effect wears off anywhere between one day to one week.

I'm still unclear on what a wise use would be. As worded, this description gives all the mistakes and limits but not the upside. I suspect what you mean to say is that it allows you to temporarily swap minds into an alternate universe, but if not used wisely you might be stuck there longer than you wanted to be?

Major yes to Restriction! Brilliant. Again I'm short on time to add it so NOTE TO SELF for later. :P

alpha, that's awesome, much thanks! I'll get those links up in the pinned topic when next I have chance to do updates.

I like Self-Restriction now. It sounded very odd at first and then I realized it has a number of creative uses. Setting up an opponent like Meta-Mind said, as well as possibly being useful to say, mutants without good control of their powers or a new Toa learning their element.

alpha, that's awesome, much thanks! I'll get those links up in the pinned topic when next I have chance to do updates.

No problem. :)

If the Kanohi masks are a type of technology and most of the MU citizens are Biomechanical beings then how would a Kanohi mask recognize the difference between a Matoran and a Toa?

Muffin button

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps a mask of Focus that takes all of your elemental powers, and now they are only accessible through the mask, but the elemental powers are magnified. I don't know about the name, maybe the Mask of Elemental Focus? Something like that?In practicality, this is basically a mask that prohibits all elemental power use that isn't through it. If a Toa that wore this mask at one point switched to another, or lost this mask completely, the powers are gone. In use, the wearer has to greatly focus to use any elemental power, but it is about 3 times as powerful as it normally would be. So, a Toa of fire using this would focus and shoot a fireball, but it is three times bigger than he/she originally meant it to be. Obviously this mask would take a great amount of focus, intelligence, and control to use. For you poke-fans, it is somewhat similar to a Life Orb or a Focus Sash.It must be used cautiously. If a Toa with this mask were able to pull off a Nova Blast, anything within a mile radius, if not more, would probably die, or succumb to the power of that Toa, depending on the element he/she controls. There's that, if anyone likes it.

Edited by darkslizer

The_Brotherhood_of_Makuta_by_Arzeron.jpg

Comply. Create. Consume.

Perhaps a mask of Focus that takes all of your elemental powers, and now they are only accessible through the mask, but the elemental powers are magnified. I don't know about the name, maybe the Mask of Elemental Focus? Something like that?In practicality, this is basically a mask that prohibits all elemental power use that isn't through it. If a Toa that wore this mask at one point switched to another, or lost this mask completely, the powers are gone. In use, the wearer has to greatly focus to use any elemental power, but it is about 3 times as powerful as it normally would be. So, a Toa of fire using this would focus and shoot a fireball, but it is three times bigger than he/she originally meant it to be. Obviously this mask would take a great amount of focus, intelligence, and control to use. For you poke-fans, it is somewhat similar to a Life Orb or a Focus Sash.It must be used cautiously. If a Toa with this mask were able to pull off a Nova Blast, anything within a mile radius, if not more, would probably die, or succumb to the power of that Toa, depending on the element he/she controls. There's that, if anyone likes it.

Seems like the "permanent" effect is a bit overkill. The mask locking all Elemental/other powers to itself and amplifying them sounds fine to me, at least in concept.Something to keep in mind: not every mask-user is a Toa, or even elementally-affliated.

BZPRPG TIME, where you could have one post talk about dinner, and the next about lunch.

Time is beyond relative here.

There's no reason not to put lasers in the palms of planet-sized robots. In fact, if I had my own planet-sized robot, palm lasers would be one of my first upgrades.

BZPRPG Profiles [outdated]

May or may not be back from a multi-year hiatus. We'll see how this works out...

Just to be curious, will BZP's anniversery have any effect on the EM?

-Tomdroidser

Other than moving closer to Shards polls and writing the Season 1 finale, no.

Perhaps a mask of Focus that takes all of your elemental powers, and now they are only accessible through the mask, but the elemental powers are magnified. I don't know about the name, maybe the Mask of Elemental Focus? Something like that?In practicality, this is basically a mask that prohibits all elemental power use that isn't through it. If a Toa that wore this mask at one point switched to another, or lost this mask completely, the powers are gone.In use, the wearer has to greatly focus to use any elemental power, but it is about 3 times as powerful as it normally would be. So, a Toa of fire using this would focus and shoot a fireball, but it is three times bigger than he/she originally meant it to be. Obviously this mask would take a great amount of focus, intelligence, and control to use. For you poke-fans, it is somewhat similar to a Life Orb or a Focus Sash.It must be used cautiously. If a Toa with this mask were able to pull off a Nova Blast, anything within a mile radius, if not more, would probably die, or succumb to the power of that Toa, depending on the element he/she controls.There's that, if anyone likes it.

Seems like the "permanent" effect is a bit overkill. The mask locking all Elemental/other powers to itself and amplifying them sounds fine to me, at least in concept.Something to keep in mind: not every mask-user is a Toa, or even elementally-affliated.

I agree with MM on this one. Also, it's best for mask bios to be short if possible; suggest a rewrite with those things in mind, and I may add it then. :)

Hi, peoples! :P I'm planning on making my first foray into EM fiction with the Attack on BZ-Koro contest we've got going now, and I've been using the .pdf guide for reference, but there's still a couple things I've got questions about. (For the record, I'm thinking of setting this particular bit of fiction the greater part of a century before CC takes place.)

1. Considering that the Tyrant Duke with the Tribal totem was stated to have a love of Rahi hunting, is it possible that he (or a lesser Tyrant, for that matter) would bother to head over to Tribal to go hunting for some more exotic species than what creatures have managed to stay alive on Tanuuk? Like, say, a rampaging Kanohi Dragon that randomly popped up overnight the other day? :P

1a. Is it possible for a Kanohi Dragon to use a Totem? I need to get it to Central somehow, and for some reason I can't quite determine, I'm kinda iffy about just saying it appearified in Central as opposed to a different planet. *shrug*

2. Is it at all possible that a super-secret team of inventors and scientists from Industrial, Shattered, and Central would make an even more secret weapons testing facility in BZ-Koro and end up creating a Gundam-esque giant mecha potentially strong enough to take on an Agent? (Also for the record, yes, I am indeed trying to make this story as insane as possible. :D )

3. Having noticed a distinct lack of Kanohi that allow one to shoot energy blasts, I'm thinking of giving one of my Agents a Mask of Plasma Bolts- essentially, the wearer can shoot balls or streams of non-elemental Plasma power (sorta like a Rahkshi, I imagine). Is that okay?

4. Only tangentially related, but I can't find the list of Tyrant powers and appearances from that contest a while back. Is there a topic or post or something that I missed, or did it just not get reposted/compiled yet?

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

1. Considering that the Tyrant Duke with the Tribal totem was stated to have a love of Rahi hunting, is it possible that he (or a lesser Tyrant, for that matter) would bother to head over to Tribal to go hunting for some more exotic species than what creatures have managed to stay alive on Tanuuk?

Sure! That's a great idea.

Like, say, a rampaging Kanohi Dragon that randomly popped up overnight the other day? :P

1a. Is it possible for a Kanohi Dragon to use a Totem?

The power is capable of transporting large objects, and I'd guess it's still within the limits (though maybe just about at them). However, most totems are normally stored in-doors, and the power refuses to work if there's stuff in the way all around it.

So, there would have to be special arrangements made with the owners on both ends to move them out of doors for the special transport and make sure there's wide open land for it to appear on. (And I wouldn't recommend standing near the destination totem in case it appears in the air over your head or whatnot. :P)

I need to get it to Central somehow, and for some reason I can't quite determine, I'm kinda iffy about just saying it appearified in Central as opposed to a different planet. *shrug*

If you're going for a freak appearance rather than someone sending it there on purpose, there's always Olmak Anomalies. You could say an especially large one (of the sort normally seen in the seas around Tanuuk, but occasionally elsewhere) happened to appear near one and the curious beast got too close.

2. Is it at all possible that a super-secret team of inventors and scientists from Industrial, Shattered, and Central would make an even more secret weapons testing facility in BZ-Koro and end up creating a Gundam-esque giant mecha potentially strong enough to take on an Agent? (Also for the record, yes, I am indeed trying to make this story as insane as possible. :D )

Not familiar with Gundam, but as long as it's not close to the extreme size of a Bionicle giant robot, I see no reason why not. I'd keep it on the smaller side too just so it wouldn't seem to be perhaps the biggest event in all of history lol and feel odd that it wasn't mentioned anywhere else (although I do consider there to have been a large number of major events that haven't been mentioned, specifically to allow this sort of thing).

3. Having noticed a distinct lack of Kanohi that allow one to shoot energy blasts, I'm thinking of giving one of my Agents a Mask of Plasma Bolts- essentially, the wearer can shoot balls or streams of non-elemental Plasma power (sorta like a Rahkshi, I imagine). Is that okay?

Well, I presume that a normal elemental mask of Plasma would have that power. Why not just make it that? (Like a Mask of Fire could be used to shoot fire bolts, etc.)

Which makes me think... maybe we could get our artists to make images for all the canon elements as masks (at least)? Any takers? :)

4. Only tangentially related, but I can't find the list of Tyrant powers and appearances from that contest a while back. Is there a topic or post or something that I missed, or did it just not get reposted/compiled yet?

Sorry 'bout that. It must have gone offline in the archives. Urgh. And it appears we never had that up on the wiki either. Unfortunately I'm having trouble finding any backup of it on my hard drive... :lookaround:

Here we go, found the backup text for the results topic. It's too long to post here, so I've just posted it on my blog:

http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=39&showentry=125874

The power is capable of transporting large objects, and I'd guess it's still within the limits (though maybe just about at them). However, most totems are normally stored in-doors, and the power refuses to work if there's stuff in the way all around it.

So, there would have to be special arrangements made with the owners on both ends to move them out of doors for the special transport and make sure there's wide open land for it to appear on. (And I wouldn't recommend standing near the destination totem in case it appears in the air over your head or whatnot. :P)

Funny thing you mention owners- I don't wanna reveal too much due to, erm, reasons, but suffice it to say that according to what I currently have in the way of plot, the dragon's gonna be accessing the totem on its own terms. :evilgrin: ...that said, I'll have to figure out a way to get around having room to reappear on the other side. *continues evil plotting*

If you're going for a freak appearance rather than someone sending it there on purpose, there's always Olmak Anomalies. You could say an especially large one (of the sort normally seen in the seas around Tanuuk, but occasionally elsewhere) happened to appear near one and the curious beast got too close.

...or there's that. :P Actually, considering I'm putting in some Tyrants anyways and Tanuuk's the sort of place Kanohi Dragons would thrive in, that would probably work a lot better. :) *changes plans accordingly*

Not familiar with Gundam, but as long as it's not close to the extreme size of a Bionicle giant robot, I see no reason why not. I'd keep it on the smaller side too just so it wouldn't seem to be perhaps the biggest event in all of history lol and feel odd that it wasn't mentioned anywhere else (although I do consider there to have been a large number of major events that haven't been mentioned, specifically to allow this sort of thing).

Eh, I'm not really that good of a judge for giant mecha sizes, but I'm planning the one in this story to be somewhere between one and two times the size of an Exo-Toa. As for exposure, I imagine that sometime after the story takes place, Izumal would send a few Agents over to make sure this particular mecha design (and its developers) get neutralized before they become a big enough threat.

Well, I presume that a normal elemental mask of Plasma would have that power. Why not just make it that? (Like a Mask of Fire could be used to shoot fire bolts, etc.)

Thought about that beforehand, actually. At first I dismissed it due to thinking that a Kanohi explicitly designed for shooting plasma would have more strength than a plain old Mask of Plasma, but now that I think of it, Hewkii's Garai let him have fairly precise gravity control when he was fighting that giant venom eel, so it looks like I'll be reconsidering, then. ^_^

Here we go, found the backup text for the results topic. It's too long to post here, so I've just posted it on my blog.

thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou :happydance:

So yeah, thanks for the answers and suggestions! It's been a tremendous help in streamlining my plotting thus far. :)

Edited by Endless Sea ~turmoil~

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

I'm planning the one in this story to be somewhere between one and two times the size of an Exo-Toa.

Oh that's easily fine.

Yeah, if you go the anomaly route, just keep in mind that due to mysterious reasons that I know and you can't yet, big anomalies are rare on Tanuuk's actual land (almost unheard of), but very common out beyond the steam sheets (where lines of lava border the land and steam rushes to the surface and then continues up, forming barriers between the shallow water and the refugee-inhabited seas; normally that's a problem for passing, but a Kanohi Dragon could probably do it). So if the dragon wants to find one of these things, I'd expect it to head out there (assuming it's smart enough to even know they occur out there).

But that might be too implausible. It would kind of have to hear it from people, I'd think, and dunno if that's possible. But anywho, you can also always just say that it found the one big one that rarely did appear on the continent. It could happen.

I think I'll just drop the idea for Alternate Minds (for now), and ask this: Are there multiversal singularities (something unique out of all universes)?

-Tomdroidser

If I'm understanding the question right: in a sense yes but for the most part no.

Each instance of the whole universe in the main timeline and in each of the alternate ones is as a whole unique. And there might be some things that are rare among timelines. But for the most part there would be tons of "copies" of a thing in various alternate universes, since those are made based on whether a decision is made differently.

So for example, say a person chooses to make a statue. There will be some universes in which the statue doesn't exist because they chose not to make it. But after making it, they choose to destroy it. Technically it's in that universe, just briefly. But then there's an alternate where they didn't choose to destroy it. And off of that might spring two more -- seconds later they do decide to destroy it after all, or not... and then more and more like a freak accident destroys it or not...

Plus, in all the ones it does exist in, there are vast numbers of universe forks making universes with the statue in it in which the choices at those forks have no effect on the state at all. So, there's a universe for if a person chooses to eat a Bula Berry and another in which they ate a Ruki fish, both with the statue in them, for example. So as you can see, it's very hard to imagine how anything could only exist in one universe.

Yeah, if you go the anomaly route, just keep in mind that due to mysterious reasons that I know and you can't yet, big anomalies are rare on Tanuuk's actual land (almost unheard of), but very common out beyond the steam sheets (where lines of lava border the land and steam rushes to the surface and then continues up, forming barriers between the shallow water and the refugee-inhabited seas; normally that's a problem for passing, but a Kanohi Dragon could probably do it). So if the dragon wants to find one of these things, I'd expect it to head out there (assuming it's smart enough to even know they occur out there).

But that might be too implausible. It would kind of have to hear it from people, I'd think, and dunno if that's possible. But anywho, you can also always just say that it found the one big one that rarely did appear on the continent. It could happen.

Eh, I imagine it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to say that it got chased out over the ocean, since, well, there's a bunch of Tyrants hunting it and stuff. :P Like, it's trying to shake its pursuers off and then there's a random super-anomaly and then BAM giant flaming lizard wrecking BZ-Koro.

• 2 weeks later...

But why is Crystal and Tar an element?

I mean acid I get, it has some level of basis (though, I still prefer it as a secondary power rather than it's own element), but Crystal and Tar just seem unnecesarry to have an entire power set dedicated to it. Wouldn't Stone technically control crystal as well?

Why is Sand, Gold and Silver not categorized into Earth/Stone and Iron? (since I think Iron is just a catch-all term for controlling metal overall. Kinda like how Iron Man isn't actually made of iron but is called that because it's neat).

And I'm pretty sure salt isn't crystalized sand.

Ghost also seems really out-of-place. Lava and fungi are just reduntant, and virus is kinda interesting, yet still not something atleast I would make an elemental power out of.

Also, Mercury and Sulphur I think would be much more interesting if it were based upon western alchemy and occultism.

Like say Toa of Mercury, rather than controlling liquid protometal or whatever, would be a fast, ever-changing and untangible force that always moves. It would be a symbolic element, manipulating and innovates through ideas and motifs, rather than just shooting mercury out your hands or something (although that could be a secondary power).

Sulphur would be it's counterpart, volatile and diffusive, representing the soul and expression, whereas Mercury is life force and animation.

High concept stuff, AND it adhere's the original idea of the Toa as a demigod.

Edited by SarracenianKaijin

hereheis.gif

--------------

Reach Heaven by Violence.

And while you are at it, see Bionicle characters as Magical Girls.

rg, first I plan to finish my Bionicle retelling, and then hop into working on the Season 1 finale. :) No specific schedule for that, but the Shards polls will have to go up before I get too far into it since I plan to feature some of the winners in it.

SK, well, crystal is a very different feel of a substance from other things, like its closest relative rock, and it's never really been clear in official story whether it counts under rock (not that that would necessarily matter for EM), plus it's one of the all-time most popular candidates for an element among fans, and the EM tries to appeal to the fanbase where plausible. :) Crystal was even at one point one of the top pollers for a suggested addition to official elements. :) Plus, despite never being stated to be part of any known official element, it is a very common thing in canon Bionicle, especially lightstones.

Stone has microcrystals but Crystal in EM means crystallization over that point. :)

Tar is also a fairly different substance. As far as I recall it's the only clear "gooey" element in its natural state -- somewhere between solid and liquid, and it can occur naturally.

Sand is already a different element canonically (SM).

Gold and Silver are separated out primarily due to the world of Izumal in which they are the two most common (land) elements, and both are used extensively in the city (Gold for underlying structure and silver for nanites). Silver is also used as the special Toa Tool substance. Gold is an especially malleable version of protometal so has a different range of uses than for example the metals that are more like Iron, plus it is precious so it makes sense to have it be separate.

Also, Greg specifically confirmed that having gold and/or silver or the like as separate elements would be plausible even for canon, had there been any reason to have more room for a larger elements list (and that's basically the idea of Expanded Multiverse elements, to be expansive, along the theme of the name).

I don't know why you bring up salt; I don't recall what we did with that and have no time to check at moment.

Ghost refers to intangible energy structures. Given that such energy effects are actually very common in Bionicle and indeed much fiction, and that it's a unique and interesting substance with story potential it deserved its own element, we felt.

Lava and Sulfur are also both EM-world-based elements (Tanuuk and Promathus), plus are also distinct materials. Lava is the most obvious -- official story actually separates out water and ice, so liquid rock (deadly hot) and cold rock are separated on the same principle (that plus Earth, Sand, and Stone being different also especially founds the whole idea of a fuller expanded list; the only reason the canon does not is that it had no room to feature them, but we clearly do). It's also a unique and very important, and very Bionicle, common natural substance. Sulfur is natural though not so common in Bionicle or real life but also has distinct poisonous traits and was used as the theme for the industrial-pollution world.

Fungus is actually the third major branch of life, similar to plants but not, so is one of the clearest ones that gets its own.

Virus is similar but inherently microscopic.

Mercury again has very distinct natural traits (at room temperature) and had lots of story potential (especially Toa Merx), and was another that Greg agreed could make a plausible separate element if a story had room for it.

Alchemy is possible in Bionicle, interestingly, since it's all protodermis (in MU, and more to the point in the EM), but is that not making gold? But it would be difficult as you'd have to "hack the base code" of protodermis particles. Or you could be a Toa of Gold. :P

Occultism is definitely something we shy away from! I don't know how you feel that would be okay but many people consider it evil and not to be toyed around with in kid-friendly fiction. Some say HP does this and/or amounts to an exception but the point is that's not at all Bionicle's style nor the style we're going for. This story is, however, inherently mysterious and could have some similar traits to this but what that would have to do with how expansive the elements list is, I don't quite follow. :P Actually there is an underlying reason connected to deeper mysteries here why the list got expanded. :)

I'm getting the sense your preference for the old fan theory that Toa had wider ranges of control may be motivating your approach here. But this is not really our preference nor would it seem to be the preference of most fans. But symbolic attachments to these elements are certainly fair game. I do that with some things in my Paracosmos fan fics, for example. :) If you want to delve into that kind of thing, that's certainly fine! We were going more for the "elemental feel" and effects and personality connections and the like.

Also, it seems to me that the old interpretation of Toa as demigods that had wide ranges of control was never consistent to begin with because of the separation of ice and water, or at least that if you feel even that narrow separation can work with that feel, why not the very similar but more numerous ones we've done here too? :)

How common is the phenomenon of breaking the fourth wall in the EM?

-Tomdroidser

What do you mean? I thought that was like a character looking at the TV camera, or even knowing that he's in fiction. We don't do that sort of thing, at least not in the Cipher Chronicles. If you're asking if you'd be allowed to do it in an EM fanfic, sure, but we wouldn't consider it EM-canon.

If you meant something else by this could you clarify? :)