The Legend Continues - Building

The Legend Continues - Building Division

Once again, Bionicle has taken a bow and disappeared behind the curtain. It was awesome to see it return, definitely, but it's no secret there was meant to be just a little bit more. In fact, you can get a glimpse of what could have been thanks to The Art of LEGO BIONICLE. It's full of gorgeous artwork of the people, places, and things that made up the second generation, as well as what could have been. We're very grateful to LEGO for putting this book together for the fans.

But it doesn't exist solely as a PDF. Oh no. BZPower has several very beautiful and 100% tangible books we want to put in your hands. You won't find this in any bookstore; only 100 copies have been printed. It's a rare piece of Bionicle memorabilia, and it can be yours. How?

One of the ways you can win a book is by building something you would have liked to see in G2 Bionicle. Do you like a concept you see in the book? Go ahead and build it. Got your own ideas for how the third year should have gone? Put those pieces together. You're a set designer for a day, and we can't wait to see what you've got for Bionicle!

-------------------------

You have from now until Tuesday, June 13 at 11:59 PM EDT to submit your entries. To submit your entries, just use this handy form. Only one entry per person per category, please.

Voting:

Preliminary Voting begins June 14th and ends June 17th at 11:59 P.M. EST.
Final Voting begins June 18th and ends June 20th at 11:59 P.M. EST.
The contest winner and final voting results will be posted in a separate thread on June 21st.

Rules:

1) Entries may not have been posted on BZPower prior to the start of the contest. It can be posted anywhere else before the contest, but it must never have been seen before on BZPower. Once entered, entries cannot be modified: you're committed to what you've entered. If you withdraw your entry, you cannot enter again that contest. If your entry is disqualified, you cannot enter again that contest.

2) Painted parts, non-LEGO parts, and parts edited in Photoshop are not permitted and will disqualify you. All other LEGO pieces are permitted, but the entry must be at least 75% Bionicle/Hero Factory/Technic. You may use a modified or third-party mask for your entry in this contest, but all other pieces must be official LEGO pieces.

3) Keep it clean, keep it civil. No flaming, no whining. Unsporting conduct will just get you disqualified.

4) Campaigning for votes (mass-PMing, etc), using multiple accounts to skew voting, and sundry other methods of cheating are only going to end in tears for you. Trust us: we'll know when you're doing it.

---------------------------------------

Prizes:

First place will receive a physical copy of The Art of LEGO Bionicle and their choice of 71316 Umarak the Destroyer or 71311 Kopaka and Melum - Unity Set. Second place will receive their choice of an Uniter Toa and their matching Creature. Third place will receive their choice of 71313 Lava Beast, 71314 Storm Beast, or 71315 Quake Beast. Thanks to LEGO for providing the prizes!

---------------------------------------

Contest Hosts:

Tufi Piyufi
Black Six

Well, what are you waiting for? Keep Bionicle going!
Be excellent to each other, and party on, dudes!

How many images do you want? It says entry image in the form but I have a whole album of multiple angles...

Your entry will be represented on the entry list and in the polls by a single image, but you can share as many as you want in a topic for the MOC.

Great contest - I'm excited to see what people come up with!

Are we allowed to enter all three 'divisions' of the contest, or can we only pick one?

You can enter however many divisions you'd like, but you can only have one entry in each contest.

Is it allowed to have a series of MOC's that can combine into a single titan build as one entry?

Example: something like  this 

As long as all the component MOCs and the combination follow the contest rules, sure.

Guess digital MOCs are not allowed, as per usual?

Physical MOCs only, please; no digital MOCs.

Yup. Good ol' BZPower discrimination on Digital. That's why we can't have nice things.

Anywho, good luck @everyone.

It's not discrimination, it's trying to keep a fair playing field. If you prefer to work digitally as opposed to using physical bricks, there's an art contest you should definitely check out.
  • Upvote 2

Yup. Good ol' BZPower discrimination on Digital. That's why we can't have nice things.

Anywho, good luck @everyone.

It's not discrimination, it's trying to keep a fair playing field. If you prefer to work digitally as opposed to using physical bricks, there's an art contest you should definitely check out.

Well I mean, you do have a point here. It's just that sometimes I wish that a digital MOCing had more recognition as MOCing and not just a form of art. =)

• Upvote 3

I can see both view points but I lean more toward physical MOCing because your not restricted to legal connections.

Don't get me wrong I've seen your work and its fantastic.

I just prefer physical MOCs.

Ye like okay you see, you have a choice in the matter. I don't. For the longest time in my life I don't have money and space to own real LEGO.

So, unlike you, I cannot lean to anything. I have to deal with legal connections or nothing at all.

And, as you have pointed out, I do a fantastic job.

So it's not a comparison. It's not a choice. As Black Six put it, it's a fair play. I don't have it in the matters of MOCing competitions. Being a digital creator is both my greatest advantage and disadvantage against most prominent builders in the fandom.

Edited by The Mugbearer
  • Upvote 2

If the MOC consists of several models but they follow the same theme (e.g. my idea of all six Toa's appearances for 2017) and are seen on the same image, is it still applicable, or does this have to be a single character/entity?

:kakama:

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

If the MOC consists of several models but they follow the same theme (e.g. my idea of all six Toa's appearances for 2017) and are seen on the same image, is it still applicable, or does this have to be a single character/entity?

An entry can consist of multiple individual MOCs, but they must all follow the rules, be shown in the entry picture, and will be considered a single entry.

Just thought I'd check - can the entry pic contain a montage of different shots/angles, as long as it's submitted as a single picture file?

EDIT: Ignore this, I've decided to stick to one shot after all.

Edited by Disty says hi

Just to clarify, what would be an example of a modified mask be? Would something like this be okay?

tumblr_necje1nxLa1sxjngho1_500.jpg

It would indeed. For this contest, a modified mask is a pre-existing mask that's been cut, painted, glued, or otherwise physically altered to make it look different.
  • Upvote 1

I read in the opening post that third party masks would be okay. Can I use a 3d printed mask of Ultimate Power I bought off of shapeways? I definitely need confirmation before I submit my MoC.

Edited by Spiffy247

A fish wielding vampire. That's Spiffy.

I read in the opening post that third party masks would be okay. Can I use a 3d printed mask of Ultimate Power I bought off of shapeways? I definitely need confirmation before I submit my MoC.

Yes.

I see some entries listed on the entry topic have the link to the original topic as well, while others don't. Does this addition need to be specifically requested? I submitted the entry form but didn't add the topic URL since the parenthesis stated that the topic URL is needed only for Writing. Can this be remedied? I'm asking since the separate topic for my entry contains several detail photos that might be important, since the entry pic is a group shot where not many of the details can be seen.

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

Is it okay for our entry picture to be a collage of multiple photos (all of the same MOC, of course)?

Yes.

I see some entries listed on the entry topic have the link to the original topic as well, while others don't. Does this addition need to be specifically requested? I submitted the entry form but didn't add the topic URL since the parenthesis stated that the topic URL is needed only for Writing. Can this be remedied? I'm asking since the separate topic for my entry contains several detail photos that might be important, since the entry pic is a group shot where not many of the details can be seen.

If the topic URL was included in the submission, it will be added to the entry list. Your entry will still only be represented in the polls by your entry picture, however.

I didn't want to set up a topic until I had proper lighting for better pictures- did the imgur link I used for my entry work properly?

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )