Would you consider Bionicle characters' enhanced physical attribut

Hi, guys!:) When you observe Bionicle characters physical-body-related powers, would you call their powers "superhuman"?

You see, in traditional superhero lores, like DC Comics, Marvel, and Samurai Jack, their physical-body-related powers are called "superhuman", which means an enhanced version of a normal human's psychical attribute. It doesn't have to be just humans, other beings are like that, too. We would always call enhanced physical attributes "super-physical-attributes", but some things, like Wikipedia, calls them "superhuman physical attributes". Examples of these superhuman-physical-attributes are superhuman strength (we would always call it "super-strength"), superhuman speed ("super-speed"), superhuman endurance ("super-tough"), and superhuman reflexes ("super-reflexes"). Wikipedia is being formal with those things and we are doing informal with them.

When I observed the characters' enhanced physical attributes, here's what I would see them:

1. Anyone wearing and using the Mask of Strength - they get super-strength.

2. Anyone wearing and using the Mask of Speed - they get super-speed.

3. Titan- or Hulk-from-Marvel-sized beings - they get super-strength.

4. Umarak the Destroyer - He is super-strong and super-tough.

Suppose you have G1 Onua fighting against Bane from DC Comics. Onua uses his Mask of Strength to become super-strong while Bane uses his Venom to become super-strong. They are in a contest or fight where they only use their super-strength to defeat each other. Perhaps the result would be either they are evenly matched or Onua wins, depending if his mask is ordinary or Nuva.

So, my question is this: Do you consider these enhanced physical attributes "superhuman physical attributes" as you can imagine them? BS01 doesn't call them that way, probably because the characters aren't human. It's your opinion. For me, I would call the enhanced physical attributes "superhuman physical attributes" for how I can see them.

Edited by Lenny7092
  • Upvote 2

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

I always considered Toa (or any MU inhabitant for that matter) as a cross between Iron Man and Wolverine (armor suit and metal skeleton underneath not to mention limited healing factor!) :P Add their mask powers and elemental powers depending on the inhabitant and you have a regular superhero/villain!

• Upvote 2

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

It's an interesting question; quite frankly we don't know how the abilities of these characters compare to actual humans with or without masks.

• Upvote 2

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge

You don't have to be human to have superhuman powers. Superhuman means "beyond human." As Bionicle characters have powers beyond that of humans, they are technically superhuman. Have you ever played Mutants and Masterminds? I think you would enjoy it.

• Upvote 3

"You humans are absurd, Rook. Furious when you're not in control, terrified when you are. Pull it together."

Yes, they are all certainly superhuman. Even without mask powers, their natural physical attributes are far beyond that of a human. Mask powers are extremely superhuman- the Kakama allowed Pohatu to move at supersonic speeds and phase through objects, the Pakari vastly increases Onua's already impressive natural strength which allowed him to headlock a Makuta.

Bionicle characters are very strong and durable compared to normal humans. I believe it has been said before that the average Toa can lift a ton. 

• Upvote 2

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

Yes, they are all certainly superhuman. Even without mask powers, their natural physical attributes are far beyond that of a human. Mask powers are extremely superhuman- the Kakama allowed Pohatu to move at supersonic speeds and phase through objects, the Pakari vastly increases Onua's already impressive natural strength which allowed him to headlock a Makuta.

Bionicle characters are very strong and durable compared to normal humans. I believe it has been said before that the average Toa can lift a ton.

Well, it is possible because they are bio-mechanical, similar to Iron Man. I would imagine a Matoran able to lift 10 human children and a Toa able to lift 10 human adults, for example, when they have natural superhuman strength. We know that a human adult is stronger than a child normally, so I would think that a Toa is naturally stronger than a Matoran by proportions of their superhuman strength, too.

Also, I would like to use Bane from DC Comics again, as he is stronger than an average adult male because of his Venom, for my example. In Bionicle, Titan-or-Hulk-sized characters seem to be stronger than Toa because of their superhuman strength. So, as Bane is stronger than a human, a Titan-or-Hulk-sized Bionicle character is stronger than a Toa by proportions of their superhuman strength. A Titan-or-Hulk-sized character would be stronger than Bane or strong as him, as I would believe. Would you imagine that a Toa can beat Bane with only superhuman strength and without a Pakari? For me, hard to believe, so I would go with sort of.

• Upvote 1

Well, it is possible because they are bio-mechanical, similar to Iron Man. I would imagine a Matoran able to lift 10 human children and a Toa able to lift 10 human adults, for example, when they have natural superhuman strength. We know that a human adult is stronger than a child normally, so I would think that a Toa is naturally stronger than a Matoran by proportions of their superhuman strength, too.

Also, I would like to use Bane from DC Comics again, as he is stronger than an average adult male because of his Venom, for my example. In Bionicle, Titan-or-Hulk-sized characters seem to be stronger than Toa because of their superhuman strength. So, as Bane is stronger than a human, a Titan-or-Hulk-sized Bionicle character is stronger than a Toa by proportions of their superhuman strength. A Titan-or-Hulk-sized character would be stronger than Bane or strong as him, as I would believe. Would you imagine that a Toa can beat Bane with only superhuman strength and without a Pakari? For me, hard to believe, so I would go with sort of.

It's kind of hard to gauge without knowing the exact limits of each character's strength. While Venom does make Bane powerful, various depictions have varied in just how powerful. In fact, all the instances where I can think of him going up against another being with actual super strength-as opposed to like a battle suit-he's gotten owned. Of course, I haven't really read any of the comics so I don't know if that's been the case there.

Kind of going in another direction on this topic, anyone know if it's been said how sensory stuff for Bionicle characters compares to humans? Basically, are their senses of hearing, sight, smell, etc. similar to human level, better, or worse?

• Upvote 1

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

That really depends on one's perspective. As a human being looking in, you'd understand that the character's abilities are all "superhuman", as they greatly outmatch a human's abilities. However, as a character in-universe, they would either be seen as an ideal (in this case, the Toa and their powers are seen as guardians and peace-keeping forces) or as something above the norm. They'd be "supermatoran", I suppose, but certainly not "superhuman." Do animals in our world that have strength beyond that of an average human have "superhuman" strength? 

That's more philosophy than you were probably looking for, though.

t5pQDlO.jpg

:i:   :n:  :a:   :r:   :y:

• 4 weeks later...

They are already superhuman. Their bodies are already organic with cyborgs bodies with metal plates (like iron man) and their toa seem to be granted a access to untapped potential from within. (All beings have a faint supply of elemental energy but matoran are unable to use it as a safety precaution.

Masks are a different matter. Their only weaknesses seems to be personality flaws and weakened after having a mask knocked off for too long.

Edited by necross hordika

qs3135.jpg

By the definition of "superhuman", yes. However, superhero comics/movies/etc. take place in the "real world", the occupants of which are obviously normal humans, and superheroes don't exactly "fit" in the world. Hence being fictional.

But in the Bionicle world, Toa/etc. do fit. They're a part of the world. The entire world is fictional, not just the characters with powers. So I don't think Toa would be seen by Matoran in the same way that Superman would be seen by people if he appeared in the real world.

Edited by Kopekemaster
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

By the definition of "superhuman", yes. However, superhero comics/movies/etc. take place in the "real world", the occupants of which are obviously normal humans, and superheroes don't exactly "fit" in the world. Hence being fictional.

But in the Bionicle world, Toa/etc. do fit. They're a part of the world. The entire world is fictional, not just the characters with powers. So I don't think Toa would be seen by Matoran in the same way that Superman would be seen by people if he appeared in the real world.

You mean there's no raging Matoran debates as to whether Toa are gods or monsters?

Check out my Creations:

Epics

Short Stories

MOCs

You mean there's no raging Matoran debates as to whether Toa are gods or monsters?

Well to be fair something like that did happen along those lines when the Voya Nui Resistance were discussing their Piraka overseers...  ;)  :voyanui:

• Upvote 1

Formerly Iron_Man5

Well to be fair something like that did happen along those lines when the Voya Nui Resistance were discussing their Piraka overseers...  ;)  :voyanui:

Which then led to the resistance going all Batman on the Toa Nuva.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

Short Stories

MOCs

• 2 weeks later...

True. Although bringing to mind the mata nui matoran lost all memory of Toa in their lives, and revered the Toa mata as gods basically, building shrines to them, etc.

Formerly Iron_Man5

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Batman doesn't have any superhuman or enhanced physical attributes, but the Resistance do and also behaved like Batman when they attacked the Toa Nuva.

for me this actually brings up a good point or flaw with bionicle, where  is the relatability or scale in which these beings corispond with us humans? we cant actually know how strong or fast these guys are in their universe. I think bionicle needs a back board or a way of scaling their feats, i mean their trees couble be near densless which means breaking one down is rather pathetic, their gravity could be near moon like but the whole world is built around it so we would hardly see the effects of it, if anything the fact that a lot of toa or rahi can fly with no force like a rocket or propulsion and with air resistance alone glide and sore might mean their planet has poor gravity or insanly thick atmostphere. Basicly i have no idea what their core standard is for weight, mass, density, chemicals, or mechanics. Another thing, has there been any indication why robots are centiant? i thint it would be awesome to see that bionicles are the next stage in evolution, like eventually biomass become near impossible some the last sentiant beings transferred their consciousness into roabots and then started building more robots that somehow become selfaware like their creatores.

Edited by maddog419

for me this actually brings up a good point or flaw with bionicle, where is the relatability or scale in which these beings corispond with us humans? we cant actually know how strong or fast these guys are in their universe. I think bionicle needs a back board or a way of scaling their feats, i mean their trees couble be near densless which means breaking one down is rather pathetic, their gravity could be near moon like but the whole world is built around it so we would hardly see the effects of it, if anything the fact that a lot of toa or rahi can fly with no force like a rocket or propulsion and with air resistance alone glide and sore might mean their planet has poor gravity or insanly thick atmostphere. Basicly i have no idea what their core standard is for weight, mass, density, chemicals, or mechanics. Another thing, has there been any indication why robots are centiant? i thint it would be awesome to see that bionicles are the next stage in evolution, like eventually biomass become near impossible some the last sentiant beings transferred their consciousness into roabots and then started building more robots that somehow become selfaware like their creatores.

You make an interesting point about gravity.

But the Matoran and Toa Nuva where made by the Great Beings. So basically they are AI's with souls.

The Glatorain and Agori on the other hand are truley Bio mechanical beings.

• Upvote 1

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

for me this actually brings up a good point or flaw with bionicle, where is the relatability or scale in which these beings corispond with us humans? we cant actually know how strong or fast these guys are in their universe. I think bionicle needs a back board or a way of scaling their feats, i mean their trees couble be near densless which means breaking one down is rather pathetic, their gravity could be near moon like but the whole world is built around it so we would hardly see the effects of it, if anything the fact that a lot of toa or rahi can fly with no force like a rocket or propulsion and with air resistance alone glide and sore might mean their planet has poor gravity or insanly thick atmostphere. Basicly i have no idea what their core standard is for weight, mass, density, chemicals, or mechanics. Another thing, has there been any indication why robots are centiant? i thint it would be awesome to see that bionicles are the next stage in evolution, like eventually biomass become near impossible some the last sentiant beings transferred their consciousness into roabots and then started building more robots that somehow become selfaware like their creatores.

But the Matoran and Toa Nuva where made by the Great Beings. So basically they are AI's with souls.

i do hope that bionicle one day is as imersive and popular as the avengers and justice league. their just too cool and original, i mean tribal robots with no real reason to exist? i mean if you search it up you can see the whole story but nothing relatable to our existance so you cant sympathize too much or in other word imerse myself into this unique universe :(

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

i do hope that bionicle one day is as imersive and popular as the avengers and justice league. their just too cool and original, i mean tribal robots with no real reason to exist? i mean if you search it up you can see the whole story but nothing relatable to our existance so you cant sympathize too much or in other word imerse myself into this unique universe :(

You know, if there is a G3 that has humans in there this time, we can compare better. What you said sounds pretty sad.:(

• 4 weeks later...