Kanohi Hau

Taipu1

I feel it isn't obvious from its storyline appearances what the nature of the Kanohi Haus powers are. Yes, it's the mask of shielding, but their are several things that aren't clear.1. Nature of protection.In both MNOLG (Onua vs Makuta), and MOL (Tahu vs rahkshi) we see a Hau user get attacked. In both instances the user isn't hit, but they are sent flying, still in their shield, which doesn't seem effective. 2. What is actually protectedIs it just the user, or is it everything within the range of the energy sphere that is usually depicted surrounding the user. If so, could a Hau be used to breath underwater, by retaining air within the shield?

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't

1. It's possible the attack was strong enough to break through the shield or produced enough kinetic energy that merely pushed them instead of doing potentially much more damage had there been no shield.2. The Hau cannot be used to breathe underwater. I recall Greg being asked this numerous times, and the answer was always no. They are protected from attacks that they are aware of (in the case of the Hau Nuva, this is also true for whomever the user extends the shield to). A surprise attack can still get through if there wasn't a shield up where the attack came form. So if they didn't anticipate the attack, they couldn't be protected from it.~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

Here's my take on #1. I suppose it is similar in some ways to Electric Turahk's response, but I think that it's different enough to warrant a post:Well, the Hau has its advantages and its disadvantages. You can think of it as a very thick extra layer of armor: you can hit it as much as you want, and the person inside won't get injured. However, it's still just a very thick extra layer of armor: if you hit is hard enough, you can still move it around. The point is, though, that the shield protects the user from things like elemental blasts, and in a way it protects the user from things like being thrown: it takes the force of blow instead of what's inside of it, like armor. However, the it doesn't prevent the effect of the force afterwards...I guess a better, simpler way to explain it is:You are in armor and you get hit. You don't get hurt from the blow, so the armor did it's job. However, the force of the blow makes you fall over, and you get jostled around and in turn are injured. The armor still did its job: it protected you from the hit. It wasn't designed to protect you from the fall afterwards.Remember, the Hau only works for anticipated attacks. Being pushed by the kinetic energy of an elemental blast so that you fall isn't the same as being hit by the elemental blast.

Edited by Infrared

If I recall correctly for Onua vs Makuta, Onua got hit because Makuta striked him from behind, and this was a surprise attack. Since the Hau does not protect against ambush, Onua was sent flying. Based on what I have read in the Bionicle story, I agree that the Hau is simply a very powerful force field, which can nevertheless still be shattered against a very powerful blow, for example against the Bohrok-Kal. Tahu's Hau Nuva was unable to block a particularly devastating Kal attack. It can also be disrupted, for example Tahu activated his Hau Nuva in Karda Nui but one of the Makuta shattered the shield by using one of its powers (I forgot which Makuta and which power). Tahu also encountered leeches in the Karda Nui swamp which actually fed on the shield.

If I recall correct, I think the shield keeps things out if you know they are there, but things (like air) already in the forcefield can escape out, explaining the 'no breath underwater' thing. But it can shatter if hit hard enough, and forceful blows can knock it around.

-L- to the -K-

Sometimes, I look at my desk, and think, "What am I doing with my life?"

Then, I go back to my videogames.

I used to be known as 'Gresh's Thornax...Ouchy!!!', before I realised what a silly name it was.

Other previous names include Lihkan435 and Chip Biscuit.

Okay, so it purely protects the user from attacks, or others if it's a Hau Nuva. Is the Hau Nuva's protection just for other beings, or can it be used to protect objects?

I assume masks are to be used purely by beings, so I don't think it would protect objects.

True. However, if the being was in physical contact with an object (not ground, though), the Hau Nuva (or just a regular Hau would probably still work) would presumably surround itself around the object because as we know, it creates a sphere around the user and does not cling to the user's armor.

Okay, so it purely protects the user from attacks, or others if it's a Hau Nuva. Is the Hau Nuva's protection just for other beings, or can it be used to protect objects?

I assume masks are to be used purely by beings, so I don't think it would protect objects.

True. However, if the being was in physical contact with an object (not ground, though), the Hau Nuva (or just a regular Hau would probably still work) would presumably surround itself around the object because as we know, it creates a sphere around the user and does not cling to the user's armor.
Okay, I might be going over the top detail questioning here, but based on that being true, what if the hau user was protecting themself, and an object attached to the ground, say a statue of some sort. If the shield was hit by a blast like the one by the rahkshi in MOL, would the statue stay where it was, leaving the boundaries of the shield, or would it snap at the boundary of the shield?I think I am getting a bit too in-depth on this :P

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Okay, I might be going over the top detail questioning here, but based on that being true, what if the hau user was protecting themself, and an object attached to the ground, say a statue of some sort. If the shield was hit by a blast like the one by the rahkshi in MOL, would the statue stay where it was, leaving the boundaries of the shield, or would it snap at the boundary of the shield?I think I am getting a bit too in-depth on this :P

I would guess that it would leave the shield and stay in place, because the Hau is supposed to protect the user, not what the user is protecting. The only reason that objects that the user is holding/keeping in contact with in any way would be shielded is because the Hau would form around the user. So if a Hau user in mid-air dropped a rock that they had been holding, for example, I think that it would just fall through.

I think that it creates a bubble of sorts that shields the user, to deflect expected attacks. However, since there's no way for the shield to be rooted to the ground, the mask has to rely on the user's own friction with the ground.The user is probably the only thing protected, unless the user shields someone else with their body. (This weakness is removed in the Nuva form, however, due to the nature of the Nuva masks.)

"Whether that is right or not...I also...as a Rider...have a wish that I want to fulfill."

Now I have a question. If someone blocks an attack they're aware of, and gets attacked by someone they don't know of while the shield is still up, would the shield still block them?

If the attacks are near simultaneous or if the user is particularly on guard and therefore still has their shield up then yes, I'd imagine so. Infrared:I quite like your armor analogy, although I think the suit of armor protects you better than the hau shield from a fall or a collusion, since the shield only surrounds the user and does not latch on to the person itself, acting more of a solid barrier that you impact into. (^_^)
sherlock4.jpeg

snapback.pngZarohum, on Dec 23 2011 - 04:23 AM, said:Now I have a question. If someone blocks an attack they're aware of, and gets attacked by someone they don't know of while the shield is still up, would the shield still block them? Actually, I disagree. I think the shield would break in such a case, since the second attack would be unexpected. Something similar happened when Onua used his Hau against Teridax's vortex form.

Actually, I disagree. I think the shield would break in such a case, since the second attack would be unexpected. Something similar happened when Onua used his Hau against Teridax's vortex form.

I disagree with your disagreement. If your shield is already up when someone attacks you without you knowing, you probably won't get hit if the shield is still up, for it would block the attack. Teridax breaking through Onua's shield was probably because he used too much power for the shield to block.

I like to thimk of a Hau like this:Imagine somebody takes a swing at you, as you were expecting, so you can block it. But then someone else sneeks up from behind and punches you in the back of the head. You were not expecting it so you couldn't block it.Like wise, the hau's shield might strengthen at a portion to block an expected incoming attack, but still remain weak at other portions. Thus allowing other attacks to get through.-Gravity

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

Everyone here brings up a good point. The Hau shield only protects attacks of which the user is aware. Of course, that doesn't negate the impact against the shield, which could possibly explain why the user sometimes is sent flying.

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question when jaller received lihkans noble hau that was his mask. well if you look at the hau tahu wore as a toa mata it was labeled as a great hau but it was the same shape has jallers hau which is actually lihnkans noble hau. Lihkans noble hau did not change shape but color when Jaller started wearing it. so my question is is Tahu's original kanohi hau actually a great kanohi hau in the shape of a noble hau? This has been on my mind for a while now,

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

There's not a very well defined line between what constitutes noble and great masks. I'd say for certainty that Tahu's original mask is the Great Hau. It's iconic, and it would be an insult to BIONICLE fandom if it wasn't. End of.As for Jallers/Lhikans Hau, I'd say that possibly its appearance as a Great mask is simply non-canon.

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Masks Toa wear = Great MasksMasks Turaga wear = Noble MasksMasks Matoran wear = common masksThe fact that they were the original toa isn't what made those maks "Great", it was simply the fact that they were Toa. Lhikan's mask was orignally Great. It became a Noble Mask when he becamea Turaga, and it became a common mask when it was passed on to Jaller.-don't touch my pocket protector

Three great comedies at one low, low price....NOTHING!

Three late-middle age matoran think of something they want to do before they kick the bucket.

Choose Your Own Bionicle Adventure (archived)

Navigate your way through a myriad of meaningless choices as you try to not make a fool of yourself in perhaps the only comedy ever written almost entirely in spoiler tags.

Useless BZP Junk that you Must Have!!!

Get to your phone, whip out your credit card, and prepare to buy some useless BZPower related junk that has no benefit on society except that you want it!!!

joehalobanner.jpg

There's not a very well defined line between what constitutes noble and great masks. I'd say for certainty that Tahu's original mask is the Great Hau. It's iconic, and it would be an insult to BIONICLE fandom if it wasn't. End of.As for Jallers/Lhikans Hau, I'd say that possibly its appearance as a Great mask is simply non-canon.

Masks Toa wear = Great MasksMasks Turaga wear = Noble MasksMasks Matoran wear = common masksThe fact that they were the original toa isn't what made those maks "Great", it was simply the fact that they were Toa. Lhikan's mask was orignally Great. It became a Noble Mask when he becamea Turaga, and it became a common mask when it was passed on to Jaller.-don't touch my pocket protector

I must say that the non canon idea does make sense i just thought that i would bring it up. although toa of nerds i don't quite understand what you mean by the fact that they were the original toa and that is what made them great. it would be nice if you could explain that a little more.

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

I must say that the non canon idea does make sense i just thought that i would bring it up. although toa of nerds i don't quite understand what you mean by the fact that they were the original toa and that is what made them great. it would be nice if you could explain that a little more.
By original I mean the Toa Mata. Tahu's Hau isn't "Great" because he's Tahu, it's "Great" because he's a Toa.-don't touch my pocket protector

Three great comedies at one low, low price....NOTHING!

Three late-middle age matoran think of something they want to do before they kick the bucket.

Choose Your Own Bionicle Adventure (archived)

Navigate your way through a myriad of meaningless choices as you try to not make a fool of yourself in perhaps the only comedy ever written almost entirely in spoiler tags.

Useless BZP Junk that you Must Have!!!

Get to your phone, whip out your credit card, and prepare to buy some useless BZPower related junk that has no benefit on society except that you want it!!!

joehalobanner.jpg

I asked Greg about this once. I'll see if i still have the PM, but essentially his answer was that the hau blocks any physical attack you can percieve and is aware of. A regular Hau can only protect its user.To me, the spherical shield is more of a visual representation of its power. The Hau Nuva, however, can extend this protection to others around you and also form the sphere shield through the same "sharing".

1) The Hau can block almost any physical attack the user is aware of. But can it defend against a physical attack you can't see? Say Vakama turned invisible with his Huna and struck at Tahu. If Tahu knew Vakama would try to do that, could he block the attack just by anticipating it?2) In the same vein, can the Hau block "instant" attacks? Say, Takanuva's laser beams or more modernly: A bullet? neither of these would give the Hau wearer any time to react, but if the shield was already up...?3) Does the Hau shield rely on reflexes if it's not up, or does it automatically activate as soon as an attack becomes apparent as long as the user is aware?4) The shield repels even attacking beings, as seen when Onua pushes an infected Lewa away from himself with it. If the shield is up, can a person pass through it if they are calmly walking instead of violently attacking?5) If not, can a Toa using a Mask of Intangibility or a Rahkshi with Density Control do so?

1) No2) Yes, it could3) You have to activate the mask yourself, it doesn't come up automatically. But in combat, it is likely you would have it up more often than not.4) No.5) I wouldn't suggest that, as the energy of the mask might do nasty things to you
What examples I can read from this:1) Tahu sees Onua throw a rock at him. The Hau is activated, and the rock does no damage to Tahu.2) A Toa of Psionics activates her elemental power. Tahu may see the glow of it being activated, but he still cannot use the Hau to block the mental attack. This also goes for Gravity and Magentism, which hit directly with invisible energy fields.3) Vakama turns invisible with his Huna. Tahu knows he is there, and activates his Hau. However, even if Vakama announces his attack, Tahu cannot block it, for he cannot see the staff coming.4) Conversely, if someone, for some reason, pointed a modern gun at Tahu, he could block the bullet, since his mental trigger would go off at the sight of the muzzle flash and bullet, as tiny and fast as it may be, so if he already had the shield activated he can block instant attacks he can see.Greg said nothing about the force of impact, but it seems to me that it is dependent on the Rule of Drama. In one of the comics, Tahu saves himself and others from a landslide created by the Rahkshi. In this case, they were perfectly safe inside a bubble made by the Hau. But in Mask of Light, Tahu gets blown through the wall. In that same movie, Kopaka essentially blocked a disintegration beam with his swords, making them as effective as the Hau.Apart from that instance, the Hau looks to be a "perfect" shield.Oh, and just to mention it: "Great" and "Noble" refers to the power level of the mask, not its shape. Tahu's mask is Great, because he is a Toa. A Turaga could not use it. If Tahu became a Turaga, however, his mask would be degraded to Noble. He could then also only use other Noble masks. This is what happened to both Lhikan and the Mata Nui Turaga. As Toa, they wore Great versions. As Turaga, they had Noble. Kopaka used a Noble Mahiki at some point, which he can do because he can handle that power level. He could also handle a Great Mahiki, if he had gotten his hands on one. Finally, you could mold a Great Mahiki into the shape of a Noble one and it wouldn't matter. It would still be a Great mask. Edited by Katuko