Inika Weapons

So it occurred to me recently that no explanation was really given in the novels or comics-so far as I can think of-for the Toa Inika's weapons and how they came by them. I mean, sure you could probably just attribute it to the "magical/super sciency/destiny lightning" from the Red Star, but that just doesn't fit the pattern we've seen with previous teams of Toa:

• The Hagah were given their tools by their former teammates and/or the Brotherhood, which were transformed into their Rahaga tools before being reverted back.
  • The Metru took their tools from among a collection found in the Great Temple; these were then briefly mutated into their Hordika tools.
  • The Mata either had their tools with them when they awoke or received them while training on Daxia; these were transformed into their Nuva tools by Energized Protodermis before being replaced with their Adaptive Armor equipment by Artakha.

Now, BIONICLEsector01 claims that the Inika tools were placed inside the Toa canisters by their builders and later claimed by the Inika after being charged up by the same lightning that transformed them. It seems a plausible enough information-if an afterthought given that they didn't mention it in the actual story at the time-but there's no source for it and this is the first time I've ever come across the information. Not saying I don't believe it, but it's a significant enough detail that I think it bears verification.

Now, that being said, I'm not at all opposed to the idea that the Inika tools were originally other items transformed along with their Toa, similar to how Takua's Kolhii Staff-or the one he claimed in Onu-Koro, anyway-was transformed into the Staff of Light. Now, the matter becomes trickier when we remember that just about everything the future Inika were carrying was taken from them in Karzahni. Some ideas that come to mind:

• Jaller's sword could have originally been his little dagger that he whips out to use on Graalok in Mask of Light, only for it to never show up in any media again. Though Jaller wasn't putting up any kind of a fight, he does seem the type who would have a weapon concealed where you'd have to make a pretty thorough search in order to find it on him.
  • Matoro's sword is more of a puzzle-the only tool really associated with him besides the Kolhii Staff is his ice pick, and I'm pretty sure that even if he brought that it would have been taken from him. As such, his sword would probably have been transformed from some implement he picked up while in Karzahni, like a poker from the forge or something.
  • Kongu's crossbow is another stumper-the guy didn't really have any equipment associated with him, and there's nothing offhand that comes to mind as something that would transform into a crossbow unless the transformation prompted by the Red Star lightning was just totally random.
  • Hahli's harpoon I could potentially see as having been a leftover fishhook she had on her; just a little nod to MNOGII.
  • Hewkii's axe would most likely have been transformed from a hammer or hatchet he would have found in the forge, or perhaps among the various artifacts surrounding the Toa canisters.
  • Nuparu's drill would probably also have been a forge tool or some leaving found in the Toa Canister workshop.

Any thoughts?

• Upvote 1

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge

He could see Matoro, Hahli, Kongu, Hewkii, and Nuparu standing on the icy beach, but not as he had known them before. They were tall, strong, clad in mighty armor, and wielding weapons that crackled with electricity. Their masks had transformed from those worn by powerless Matoran to Great Masks that rightfully belonged to their new identities.

This is the only quote I can find in the novels that hints to the origin of the weapons of the Inika. It is far from being explicit, but it seems to me that it implies that the weapons were a product of the transformation, which rules out them being already in the canisters (I can't find any confirmation of that either; it probably came from a GregF quote, but since those can sometimes be contradictory, I guess it is possible to speculate on a different origin for the weapons). It could be that they were created out of nothing, since the transformation of the Inika was different from that of any other Toa and so different rules might apply.

If this is not the case, then it is difficult to decide what the weapons might have originally been; you're probably right that they were either tools taken from the forge in Karzahni or objects the future Inika brought with them from Metru Nui. Keep in mind that, although everything was confiscated from them, Kongu did manage to snatch back the Kanohi Suletu they had found along the way. It is therefore possible that he or one of the others might have also taken back a weapon or tool the six Matoran had with them before, so don't rule those out.

• Upvote 1

632461607_Bannerdefinitivopiccolo.png.8e4bc632ba965c6eaef9247ce71df1d7.png
My collection of epics: The Sanctum of Writing

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if there were extra weapons in the Toa Canisters. Say the Toa Mata had needed extra weaponry when/if they were ever needed, then it makes sense for the canisters to have been outfitted with other tools should that need arise. Likely, they only took their primary weapons with them when going about the island of Mata Nui, and forgot about the extras inside. So, when the Matoran fixed the canisters up and pulled them inland, the weapons cache inside would have been intact still. The Inika probably took the first things they could find when they woke up.

That's just my take on it.

• Upvote 1

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~