Favorite BZPower Memories

Black Six

I remember the comics forum warmly, as that's where I was inspired by Dark709 and other amazing artists to try my hand at comic making. I learned a lot about editing pictures and using graphical programs.

I also remember really enjoying the set reviews, and often read them before buying a particular set myself.

More recently, the bzprpg carries lots of memories, especially the old one before the dataclysm, but also the renewed version.

• Upvote 3

First post! I haven't been on BZPower for all too long, and funny enough, my favorite Bionicle memory from BZPower is probably from before I even became a member. It was back when the 2016 Toa Uniter sets were close to being released and there was a BZPower Youtube live stream where different members showed off the different sets that Lego had sent out early. It was really awesome seeing all the new sets and their features, but unfortunately, I still don't have any of the 2016 sets.

... Yes, I have been a fan of Bionicle since I was first exposed to the Toa Mata sets back in 2002 or 2003, maybe, and I wish I'd have found out about BZPower before G2 came around.

Edited by WDBricks
  • Upvote 3

First post! I haven't been on BZPower for all too long, and funny enough, my favorite Bionicle memory from BZPower is probably from before I even became a member. It was back when the 2016 Toa Uniter sets were close to being released and there was a BZPower Youtube live stream where different members showed off the different sets that Lego had sent out early. It was really awesome seeing all the new sets and their features, but unfortunately, I still don't have any of the 2016 sets.

... Yes, I have been a fan of Bionicle since I was first exposed to the Toa Mata sets back in 2002 or 2003, maybe, and I wish I'd have found out about BZPower before G2 came around.

Welcome to BZP!

Check out games and trivia, that's the best place to get to know members.

• Upvote 1

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

Staff name changes. The first I can recall was "phobias," when everyone became a fear. I think Sumiki was "Phobophobia" with FDR as his prof pic. I was so psyched when I finally got to participate and made my first and only name change to "Mister Spock."

Oh and the day BZP came back online. I'd just come back from school dead tired and suddenly there existed a bright, shiny new forum in which to frolic.

being in the blogs, circa 2007-2010

i think that essentially shaped my entire bzpower persona at the time, which extended elsewhere during the big server upgrade downtime, and for better or worse really contributed in a huge way to the person i am today

• Upvote 1

bionicle is trans culture

Oh gosh, let's think...

When I joined BZP I found a community. It was dope. I wrote a comedy early on, which I enjoyed, then learned to make gifs which led to me making 'movies' called Metru-Nui Adventures.

THAT was fun, made 'movies' starring friends I'd made and all that. Made friends like Motago, who I'm still close to off-site.

The original Staff Survivor was wild. Schizo's win was epic.

Back when there was the Exo-Force RPG in Lego General Discussion (remember when that was a thing?). Frickin' awesome RPG. Great exercise in communal storytelling.

​Making staff was awesome. Inaugurated the Forum Mentors (remember when that was a thing?) and got flooded with reports I could do nothing about. Was a fun gig, before I got moved to being a Blog Assistant. I like the blogs. It is my domain now.

It's tough to point out specific things. As a whole BZP's been incredibly vital to my growing up and, I dunno, me as me. I like this site. Can the whole last 13 years be my favorite memory?

Edited by Ta-metru_defender
  • Upvote 4

Hand-drawn, bespoke avatar by none other than Mushy the Mushroom.

a body adrift in water, salt, and sky

I have a new memory to add to my list; to quote my one blog:

Oh my wow! I never thought this would happen to me  :) I actually won a raffle!, good game to everyone who entered as it's all for a good cause  :D unbelieveable, but it's real  :bigsmile:

Now time for a full story:

When I noticed that Bzpower were doing several charity raffles, I was curious to see what prizes were on offer, when I saw the G1 collectibles I was immediately drawn in, the prizes were all great, hard to find masks and prototypes! I bought a ticket straight away, over the week before the end date I checked how many tickets where sold and calculated what the chance of me winning was.

It has been raining all day, rain is my favourite weather and I consider it lucky, in any fictional stories I write rain always symbolises good luck, when I woke up I worked out that my chance of winning was 3.5%, so I got on with the rest of the day, looking forward to the results, though I seriously doubted that I would win, I even made a joke to myself that even if I didn't win at least me in an alternate universe would.

in the afternoon I caught up with some friends I hadn't seen in years it was a nice experience and went well I eventually returned home, watched some Ninja Warrior on TV amongst other things and then went to work on another scene for my film Insectoids, acknowledging what time it was I opened up BZPower to check the results, nothing yet.

After quickly checking some other things on my laptop I opened up BZPower again, immediately my eyes were drawn to 1 Notification and 1 Message, my heart was beating faster than usual at this point, I opened the notification, "A raffle you're participating in is completed" it read, I ran the mouse over to the messages, I thought what could this be, a "thank you for entering message" maybe, my heart continued to beat rapidly, and I begun to tremble, I clicked the icon, the new message was from Black Six himself, titled "Congratulations, CommanderKumo!"

Time began to slow down, this was really happening! after all these years of entering, and failing competitions, my childhood dream of victory has finally been fulfilled! after a cold drink to let reality settle in I took no time in confirming my name and address to Black Six as requested in his message.

What a truly great experience, it's great to see such wonderful things being done for charity and I thank everyone who entered, I'm certain that the money will help Sladechild accomplish it's goal. 

A dream come true, certainly a great memory!

• Upvote 2

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClo2J14RKmVtcnoJTv7g6PA , Bionicle films coming soon!

Hm. Where to start?

1. I guess I'll start at the beginning. When I first discovered this place back in mid-2006-ish, one of the first things that pulled me in were the comics by some notable individuals such as Wise One, Lavaside Rahi, Akano, and the legend-among-legends himself, Dark709. Sadly, many of my favorite artists ceased comic-making and regular activity on here by the time I officially joined in 2010, but I still remember them with much fondness. In recent years, we've seen a sorry decline in activity in the Comics forum, but prior to that, I'm glad to say that I was inspired by those that gave me my first great taste of the BZPower community and started making comics myself. For a time, I was credited as the "Guy Who Brought Back Photo Comics," using MOCs, sets, and a camera rather than digitally designed images. My reinvention of the concept would go on to inspire about 5 or 6 others to do the same. Unfortunately, that brings us closer to the slow decline in Comic Forum activity. It was fun while it lasted, and if there's ever a resurgence in that area, and I have better space to work with, I'd love to get back to making Comics. :)

2. There was also that time I got Black Six to dump a bucket of ice water on himself (for the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge a couple years ago). I will always remember that topic with much fondness. :D (And I believe Sumiki owes me a hug for that very occurrence.)

3. I have way too many fond memories of this site, it's so hard to narrow it down. But thinking back to when I first joined BZPower, I do have one major memory from then. It was late June of 2010 when I joined, and I spent the summer before and most of that spring doing what I called "burn-art," using wood and a magnifying glass, and etching out designs, including Kanohi and symbols from our favorite LEGO line. Thinking it was probably worth showing off, I took some pictures of my work, and a week or two after joining, I posted my first topic, dedicated to this fun little art form. A day or two later, it was number one on the "Hot Topics" list on the front page, a spot it held for the remainder of the week. I got a lot of requests from many members, and managed to complete a lot of them, including a map of Metru Nui and a Rahkshi symbol on a larger scale than most of my previous works. A couple weeks later, I decided to post pictures of some Bionicle-inspired projects I'd made during the school year in my Ceramics class. These were met with the same reactions and it, too, made it onto the Hot Topics list within a day or two, but didn't last as long as the other topic. It was a great time for me, being the new kid on the block and having so many members complementing my work and welcoming me into their midst, and it didn't take long at all for me to feel like a solid member of the community. If anyone here remembers those topics and was one of those that supported me and welcomed me in during those first few weeks of my joining, I want to say thanks again for being such an awesome bunch. You guys were a big help back then and I really appreciate everything you did to make me feel like part of the family.

I'd go on, but I think the best has been said for now. If I feel anything else needs to be added, I'll do so. But for now, I think these will stand as some of my personal favorite memories of this site. On that note, I'd like to extend a measure of gratitude to Black Six and the rest of the Staff for making this place as awesome and welcoming as it has been to all of us out there in the world. None of these memories would have been made if it weren't for those that keep this place up and running. 

Edited by The 1st Shadow

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

I mostly stayed in Comics before the downtime hit but I fondly enjoyed keeping up with Nuparurocks and his dailies.

Nowadays I'm usually pretty quiet and I simply enjoying chatting it up with the friends I've made over the years, plus even meeting a couple at Brickfair ever since I've started going.

• Upvote 1
I'm just ToaD

The hideous, atrocious, absolutely glorious pun wars in Soran's Comic Emporium.  The second of which got me a spot in the comic before promptly being shot by Mal.

...it was fun being a celebrity for four panels =P

Ah yes, that was good. And all that because of a goldfish that may or may not have been a mafia boss.

UnsuspectingButts.thumb.png.2a71dabd3565a645b7127215b282d46b.png

I have three awesome memories from the site in my 2+ years being a part of it.

1. The Kanohi Force! Shortly after joining, I got to help form an awesome collection of people from the site into a fun, open club called the Kanohi Force, united by the split-mask avatars like unto the one I don currently. After 2 years, even though there's been conflict inside and outside of our walls, we're still going strong, and the friends I've made through it are loyal through and through.

2. BZP Secret Santa. Ah, that was fun. It didn't happen this last Christmas as I recall, but we were able to pull a good deal of members that much closer together, and inspire some undiscovered creative juices to flow, such as in the case of my picture for Doodleloot. Good times.

3. BZPower Game of Thrones. That was one of many RPGs I've participated in here, but easily the biggest and most fun. Voltex's brilliant creation started out as a procedural country simulator (SETA, anyone?) and transformed into a conspiracy-drenched coup starring the heir to the throne and myself at his etherial side. I wasn't able to hop on the Season 2 bandwagon, but I still enjoyed it thoroughly.

Thanks, BZP. Though I'm not as active here as I used to be, I still cherish the memories I've gained.

• Upvote 2

"Remember when the comics forum had a lot of good stuff? Let's make that a thing again." -Kazi the Matoran

2 words: Kanohi Force

While I am terribly inactive on here (I didn't even realize it was the anniversary), I did meet the Kanohi Force, and I'm not exaggerating when I say it was life-changing. In fact, that's how I heard about this post. I never did the roleplays, never read a lot of comics, but the people I have met here are just amazing.

• Upvote 2

Unity, Duty, Destiny

-Toa Ouberry

Me and my brother were arguing about whether Ninjago or Bionicle was better, so I started googling stuff to try to prove that ninjago was better, and ran across some blog post by bonesiii about it. I ended up reading the whole blog cause it sounded cool and he sounded smart.

idk why I can't see that blog anymore. something about a girl? so weird. still good memory though.

I won the argument btw

even though it was a stupid argument. I was like 10.

• Upvote 1

My favorite memory of BZPower was coming in third in one of the old Comedies contests despite never writing a full-on comedy before. It convinced me I was destined for comedic greatness!

I was halfway right but definitely not on BZPower lol

"Whether that is right or not...I also...as a Rider...have a wish that I want to fulfill."

I discovered BZPower in early 2003 and I remember the list of metal Krana Kal discoveries that was advertised on the right side of the screen.  What I would give to experience the nostalgia of seeing that list again.

Also getting all the newest news, pictures, and trailers of the Mask of Light movie always got me coming back to the website because I was so excited for that movie.  That’s basically where most of my memories lie: getting the latest Bionicle info long before the internetless masses.

Oh, the April Fools pranks!  VahkiPower was interesting, but I remember actually buying into the KimPower prank in 2005 because I honestly believed BZPower was selling the website.  I remember being a paperboy at the time and dropping off the newspapers thinking, “BZPower is over…” That was 12 years ago, but I still remember being really choked that day.

• Upvote 2

I was never a very active member, highlights for me were seeing a topic I posted in the hot topics section (It was called "Weirdest Bionicle Merchandise?"), participating in the Expanded Multiverse series and reading Tahu vs Tahu and Bionicle Zeroes. This site also really helped me to learn English. 

Edited by electrodude
  • Upvote 2

It's all ogre now

Congratulations to:

Terton

markyman20

Toa Imrukii

ChocolateFrogs

16N1K4

Shadow Kurahk

capMARVELOUS

Underscore

Our random memory winners! Please send me your name and mailing address and I'll send out your random prize. We still need some time to go through all of the posts to pick out our favorite, so bear with us and keep sharing your best BZPower memories!

• Upvote 4

Well, this is a first for me.

As is for me too.
Same for me. And I didn't even try this time. Edited by capMARVELOUS

my best memory is the first time I entered this website and spent countless hours just going from forum to forum and reading every single post

aaaah, good times.

S    Q       U    I       D     M     A     S     T     E    R

check out my imgur gallery for bionicle photography: https://mahatparthiban.imgur.com/all/

Congratulations to Hakura: Toa of Plasma, the winner of our staff favorite memory! They'll be taking home 8550 Gahlok Va and 8562 Gahlok.

Thanks again to everyone for sharing their BZPower memories. Reading through them all was like talking a walk down memory lane. I'm looking forward to more years with our great community of friends and fellow LEGO fans.

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/22/2017 at 1:15 PM, Darth Jaller said:

I honestly felt like Primis and co-author PeabodySam became the first actual friends I'd made on BZPower, and I count the memories from that thread as some of my most treasured here on BZP. Not only that, but when I attempted to make comedies of my own (AHAHAHAHA... yeeeeah those were awful) they were kind enough to follow them and give me feedback for a while afterwards.

Awww, thanks for the mention!  It's always great to see familiar faces on these forums. :)

----

I can still hardly believe it's been over a decade.  In that time, I've had a lot of treasured memories here on BZPower.  Sure, whatever contest this topic was hosting has long since ended, but I still feel like sharing my experiences.

2006-2008 was around the time of my peak activity, during which I'd spend long hours in LEGO General Discussion chatting with Onuki, Tahraau, Tacku, TakunuvaC01, -Sidorak- and others about Rock Raiders, LEGO Racers, and LEGO Island.  They were all very friendly, knowledgeable, and all-around great people to hang out with.  It was like a prototype version of [REDACTED], minus all the crazy community antics.

I've also got a lot of cherished memories in the Library forum, even if my own writing was laughable at best (and not in the intended way).  It was always lots of fun reading stories from well-known BZPower authors like SPIRIT and GaliGee.  Darth Jaller, Primis, and I were a pretty tightly-knit group back in the day, always bouncing ideas off of one another and providing feedback on each others' stories (from The Search to the Mask of Light to The Rock Raiders Meet BIONICLE to Ask Hafu).  I also remember that Macku: Toa of Bubbles was always there to provide constructive criticism in the most sincere and friendly manner possible.  And hey, maybe my writing wasn't all that bad... more recently, Scene 24: Johnny Thunder Blows This Taco Stand quickly became one of my favorite BZPower memories when it won the LEGO Movie Caveat Scriptor Contest.

But undoubtedly, my favorite BZPower memory of all time would have to be Dino Attack RPG.  Shortly after joining in 2004, BZPower introduced me to play-by-post games in the form of Alpha Team: Mission Deep Freeze RPG, during which I was taken under the wing of its host Victor Draven and became close friends with fellow players Kotua In Space and Chronicler Of Ko-Koro.  A year later, I wanted to try my own hand at hosting a LEGO RPG, and with the help of Hahli Husky, I made that dream a reality.

For over seven years, from 2005 through 2012, I had the pleasure of being the host to Dino Attack RPG.  It was confusing as heck.  It was filled to the brim with death, despair, betrayal, violence, and destruction.  It was wacky and nonsensical... cliched and trope-overdosed... overly dark and dramatic for a LEGO-based game.  And I loved every moment of it.

But the most important part about Dino Attack RPG was not anything that I had done... it was my fellow players.  By all accounts, Dino Attack RPG should have been doomed to failure, since it was based on a relatively unpopular LEGO theme in a forum where LEGO RPGs die rather quickly (even the popular Alpha Team RPG had died a slow death by 2006).  What kept this one alive all those years were the devoted players who kept coming back day after day, developing their own characters and stories while always building upon the contributions of everyone else.  We grew up together, learned from one another, matured as writers and as people, united by our desire to see our silly game reach a dignified conclusion.

Friends like Jacks, Atton Rand, Andrewnuva199, that guy from that show, Brikman McStudz, and avmatoran... they are what made Dino Attack RPG special.  I'm hardly active on BZPower anymore these days, but it's telling that I'm still in touch with my old Dino Attack RPG buddies through other websites.

Thanks for all the memories.

Edited by PeabodySam
Fixed post formatting.
  • Upvote 2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Misc memory: Someone got this part stuck somewhere and the title of the topic was "How do you get the ball out?!" with the OP text-screaming "I got the ball piece stuck and I don't know how to get it out, can anyone help me?!" and everyone reacted/replied accordingly.

~TN726

EDIT: Apologies! Wasn't aware of the revived topic rules/was careless of the date due to nostalgia.

Edited by Papa Vinc
explanatory

Papa Vinc...Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence...

• 9 months later...

This site was my first experience with a form of social media. I have great memories of the story contest at the end of G2 and the Fanfiction Exchange that was held, I still have the Ekimu I won for the Fanfic Exchange prominently displayed with the rest of my collection. The Steal the Mask and Kardas Dragon Appears topics were great memories as well. It is sad to come back here and see things are not as active as they once were.  

• 4 months later...

Missing out on everything and then finding a good place for rare sets. I honestly wish I could have been around for the vorhiki hoax, but I wasn't even born yet so... oh well.

Bazinga! I've been a Bionicle Fan since early 2015 and have been aware of it since 2008. Was a bit late to the party due to my age, but that doesn't matter now. Looking for krana and sealed G1 sets at below market value if possible, (otherwise it'll be a few years before I care to collect sets I don't care as much about) Bohrok Kal and Krana Kal Mask Pack sets are ones I am particularly looking for atm.

I go by Nektann or Marcato usually online.