Afterman - Bionicle successor project

There's been a lot of attempts at a fan-made reboot or sequel of Bionicle, but Afterman is a little different. It's an original work of fiction inspired by Bionicle but legally distinct from it.

Mechanical beings called the Kokei live an idyllic existence on the archipelago of Mahi Moko.

The tribes revere a being known as Tetsujin, Lord of the Machine. Legends say he protected the people of the islands in times of great crisis in the past and ensures their peace and stability in the present and future. But when the forces of shadow attack their tropical paradise, the chiefs must choose 5 warriors to defend the islands; one Kokei from each tribe to wield the elements of fire, water, earth, air and ice.

They explore the world beyond their islands, battle monsters, encounter other tribes and factions, piece together their history from fragments of documents and data, and eventually discover the ruins of a once-great city. However, the team soon learns that what they were lead to believe about their society wasn’t true, and it turns their world upside down. Will they still want to complete their quest after its true purpose is revealed?

Why should you check us out?

- original work of fiction inspired by Bionicle - not a remake, reboot, or attempt at a “G3”

- run by a diverse group of people from all over the world doing this in their spare time and for free

- still taking suggestions for worldbuilding and story

- East Asian-inspired fantasy setting featuring plenty of female characters in varied roles

- exploring and examining aspects of Bionicle that Bionicle itself never did, with a wider variety of character designs

- because there’s too much negativity on the Internet and we’re trying to do something constructive inspired by the things we love

Art and plot summaries can be found at project-afterman.tumblr.com. Please let me know what you think! Our group is working hard on the art and writing.

• Upvote 4

I'd like to take a quick moment to commend the AFTERMAN team on their work thus far, despite a relatively small pool of resources and a team that has spent the better part of its existence in significant flux. Throughout the weeks that I was a part of the group, spanning a period of four or so months, we were able to accomplish some incredible work, not least due to the efforts of Sailor and the iconic art of Faybos, our team's chief concept artist and penciller. All in all, we faced a unavoidable chunk of resistance from the simple fact that the concept of an independent spiritual successor is weird - at first glance, it doesn't make a lot of sense. It's not necessarily what folks are used to, or the type of aim that springs to mind when fans consider an unnofficial project.

Well, that's because Afterman isn't really "unofficial" - it's both a Bionicle fan project and a distinctly non-Bionicle work of fiction, co-habitating with science fiction, fantasy, creation myths, and colorful characters in a menagerie of different spheres. To some degree, I've always felt that Afterman defied categorization, on par with the gallery of works that started out as a sort of fanfiction but gradually became much, much more. Regardless of whether or not that suits you and your tastes, I'd encourage everyone to give the project a glance on its Tumblr page (Easy-to-click link is in my sig) and on any other sort of public media that the team takes up as a platform. You'll have to ask Sailor if the Facebook page is still being utilized for anything.

Though I'm sure that it has grown since I last aided the group, our team spanned between ten and fifteen regular contributors with talent from across the planet. In late March, I helped the team prepare notes and materials for a promotional spot that we had secured on the TTV Podcast, which you can view here if you're interested.

As I mentioned above, and as is also mentioned in my sig, I'm not currently a member of the team behind Afterman, though I was fortunate to be a consistent member during some of the more formative months of the project. However, this really is Sailor's idea, born from casually written stories that have been in the minds of Faybos and her for years. As that is the case, I want to make it clear that nothing that I have said thus far herein is to be taken as permanent or unmovable; just as fan chatter. :P That said, I feel like I did a pretty succinct job of hitting the nail on the head, because I frankly love the concept and, moreover, the folks behind this project. Good luck, Sailor and Co. I expect impressive things from y'all, and I don't think that I'll be disappointed.

• Upvote 1

Find (digital) me under the name Azani on YouTube, Eurobricks, Discord, the BioMedia Project and the TTV Message Boards.

Please check out Project AFTERMAN on Tumblr and Facebook; I'm proud to have worked as their PR Manager and as a writer.

AAZZ.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

great work! this sounds amazing

just one thing, do elemental tribes still exist?

• Upvote 1

S    Q       U    I       D     M     A     S     T     E    R

check out my imgur gallery for bionicle photography: https://mahatparthiban.imgur.com/all/

• 1 month later...

great work! this sounds amazing

just one thing, do elemental tribes still exist?

Glad to hear that you're intrigued. :)

And yes, the Kokei, a group of isolated robotic villagers, live in villages scattered across the archipelago, sticking to the classic "elemental segregation" motif. The five tribes that reside on Mahi Moko affiliate themselves with the archetypical Fire, Water, Earth, Ice, and Air; however, they share a common cultural thread in their worship of a certain "Lord of the Machine" - the Tetsujin mentioned in the first post.

Additionally, Faybos has been updating the team's good old Facebook page, which is linked to in my sig.

-Azani

Edited by Azani

Find (digital) me under the name Azani on YouTube, Eurobricks, Discord, the BioMedia Project and the TTV Message Boards.

Please check out Project AFTERMAN on Tumblr and Facebook; I'm proud to have worked as their PR Manager and as a writer.

AAZZ.jpg