A collection of thoughts, bear with me.
1. Among the Doom modding community there are community mapping projects. Map makers of all skill levels come together to build thirty-two levels for the game.
2. There are a lot of RPG Maker games in the BZP Software Library. Some are considered cult classics, so I'm told.
3. RPG Maker clones are easy to come by and are advertised as requiring no programming whatsoever.
The resulting thought: What about a community project where a bunch of people can come together and make a game in RPG Maker style? People without any game-making skills can come and join. And it'd be a fantastic way to breathe some new life into the Fan-Created Media forum.
I could write the first chapter of the game to start things off. Then someone else (or a group) writes the next chapter, it gets added to the game, then another person writes a chapter, it gets added, on and on and on. We could keep the game in a GitHub repository, to make it easier to keep track of the changes.
Then, after so many chapters, the story ends (or is left hanging for another RPG), we can release the final version of BZPower's first community RPG video game.
We'd need a couple things to get started.
- An RPG Maker clone. I was thinking about using Open RPG Maker or RPGBoss. They're free and run on Windows, Mac and Linux. I really don't want to have anybody pay for RPG Maker just to join in, or get locked out because they're using a Mac.
- Sprites. If someone could donate a sprite kit they've made to use in the game, it'd be great.
- A setting. We'd need to decide where the RPG is going to take place. Personally I'd think it'd be great to have a game on Okoto, but I don't know if using Gen2 as a setting would drive people away. Or, it'd be cool to have a game on Mata Nui, before the Toa's arrival. Sort of a 'lost chapters of MNOG' feel.
The player characters could be OCs meant to fill specific roles - like, people could come up with OCs for (bear with me) Fighters, Rogues, Wizards, and Clerics. We could have a poll to see which of the characters were most popular, then have them make up the player's party.
This is all speculation and interest-gathering at the moment. I need to learn how to use RPGBoss or whatever to begin with, that and I have literally no idea how I'm going to organize something like this.
But if this piques your interest and you think it'd be a fun thing to make together, could you please upvote this post? It'll give me a rough idea of how many people would contribute to a project like this. Oh, and feel free to leave a comment with your thoughts.
Edited by evil_jaga_genius, Aug 15 2017 - 04:26 PM.