Set Review: 70624 Vermillion Invader

Vermillion Invader Teaser Image

Before the new LEGO Ninjago Movie comes out next month, it's important to remember that the standard Ninjago theme got one round of sets out earlier this year with the Hands of Time theme. Today, BZPower Reporter Xccj looked at 70624: Vermillion Invader, one of the mid-priced sets featuring Zane and an enemy vehicle. Does this set strike just the right cord, or are you better off saving up for the sets from the upcoming movie? Read on and watch the video to find out.

View the full article

Good review! While the shape of this one is less explicitly snake-based than the Serpentine and Anacondrai vehicles, I actually find there's something quite cool about the more abstract wedge shape that characterizes all the Vermillion vehicles. Also, from my understanding, the reason for the lack of a driver's seat is that the Vermillion vehicles are mere "shells" animated by snakes, same as the armor that makes up the Vermillion warriors. As such, they are effectively "self-driving".

I love the new Copper Metallic color, and can't wait to see it get used more widely! It's also neat to see more Titanium Metallic parts in System sets as something besides minifigure acccessories.

Overall this set doesn't impress me as much as the Destiny's Shadow, Dawn of Iron Doom, or Dragon's Forge. I still ended up getting it, though, both because of the exclusive Zane minfigure and because it's a great example of the Vermillion design language.