Thoughts on Bionicle Ignition 2?

Tarix819

So Bionicle NP just released his Bionicle Ignition 2 movie on YouTube: 

I personally think it was fantastic, since we've never actually got a movie for 2007 before. Despite having limited resources, he has really captured the whole atmosphere of the books.

The voice actors also are fantastic, Kalmah, Takadox, Ehlek and Gar especially.

But what are your thoughts? Did you like it? Dislike it? Love it? Share them in this thread!

• Upvote 2

This thread probably goes here.

But I might as well ask - does anyone know the story with "Ignition 1"? As in, why the comics started having that Ignition subtitle? I guess it was a sort of precursor to the Phantoka/Mistika idea where putting a subtitle under the brand name makes it seem fresh and new.

Edited by TheSkeletonMan939

This thread probably goes here.

But I might as well ask - does anyone know the story with "Ignition 1"? As in, why the comics started having that Ignition subtitle? I guess it was a sort of precursor to the Phantoka/Mistika idea where putting a subtitle under the brand name makes it seem fresh and new.

In the prototype phase, the Inika were known as the "igniters", and I guess it has to do with a metaphor about engine ignition and 'turning on' the GSR with the Ignika.

:kakama:

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

I enjoyed it, but sadly found myself skipping through sections due to its duration. I get that they were trying hard to faithfully tell the story in as much detail as possible so that is acceptable, but unfortunately my patience wouldn't let me make the full commitment. It's a sincere and honest attempt at telling the story, a true credit to the franchise from the hearts of fans. 
However parts of the editing was so simplistic that it felt jarring to the narrative. I watch a lot of similar videos of a very lower standard of film making and can sink my teeth into them quite easily (often because of their level of charm), but there was a clunky consistency and pace to the edit that I could not get behind. It had less charm than I would have liked, but it is clearly such a labour of love for Bionicle that it has to be appreciated as such. I know I couldn't have done better. So hats of to them, it's a solid achievement if a little rough around the edges.
I'll patiently wait for their next instalment, it's a series worth continuing.

Edited by Krystufa
  • Upvote 1

I agree with Krystufa. As much as I would love to be able to congratulate this on terms other than its obvious level of effort, it was trying a little too hard to be more than what it was. My advice to BionicleNP would be to eliminate all green screen effects. Aside from the clear green edges on the figures, it doesn't fit into the frames. Green screen wasn't made to be used the way it is being used. It's not about needing more resources, it's about misusing the ones you have. 

Considering that probably 95% of the people watching and following his videos already know the story, world-building isnt really necessary. I'd recommend using small props as the background and world of the characters. Using a light-blue poster board (or a deep navy blue or black one for the Mahri-Nui installment) as the background and horizon and using very shallow focus, the story will be about the characters instead of the annoying green screen going on.  

I will say, however, that some of the voice acting was impressive to say the least. Kalmah's voice actor did a great job in particular. 

• Upvote 1

Knock Knock

Who's there

Hoff

Hoff who

Yes

• 2 weeks later...