Most Underwhelming Set

I'm just curious, really. I recently acquired the Glatorian Mata Nui set from our neighbours, who were giving away a bunch of old toys their kids had never opened, and I just built him today. I.. have to say that I don't recall ever being quite so underwhelmed by a Bionicle set as I was by him. For the physical form of the legendary Great Spirit of the first eight years, I found him to be a real let-down; I remember how, back in the day, people had spoken negatively about his proportions, but I'd never quite grasped just how wacky they were. His arms reach past his knees. His head looks tiny. His colouring is much more vivid than the movie made it out to be. And those massive blades on his shoulders get in the way of most interesting poses. Coupled with the fact that I could build him almost completely accurately from the box picture alone, not looking at the instructions once - and maybe the fact that I'm older now too? I dunno - I just felt really underwhelmed by him on the whole; and the fact that he wore the most iconic name from Bionicle's early years only made that seem more pronounced.

So, my question is, which Bionicle set did you find the most underwhelming first time you built it?

I'm not really talking about sets that you expected to be bad from the get-go, even if they were as awful as you expected; I'm meaning more sets that you thought were going to be cool, but the end result left you feeling unsatisfied.

I... probably had others back in the day, too; I just used Mata Nui as my example because he was fresh in my mind - though I may just have been expecting too much from an old set by this point xD

Edited by Darth Jaller
  • Upvote 2

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

Pohatu Phantoka. While the color change was a tad off putting, in theory, I loved that set. Cool mask with a windshield, freaking propeller hands, a cool new projectile weapon and a non-standard Inika build. Kid-me was really excited on the way home from the toy shop.

Then kid-me built the set and was pretty disappointed by what they did to my favorite character. In person, the orange was even worse, and even then the set was more gray than orange. Without Photok (who I luckily got at the same time), Pohatu Phantoka is impossibly flat with an ungainly technic thingimabob sticking out of his rump. The propeller hands were cool, but it took all of 2 days for the 3-length technic pins to become loose, making posing impossible (without switching them out). His proportions were more comical than that of Glatorian Mata Nui, and the mask just didn't work. The Midak blaster was kinda cool, but in the end it's just a less colorful, large, bulky Zamor launcher. Initially, I was hyped with minor reservations about color, but once I had him, he was a pretty big disappointment.

I can't help but 'like' the set because it's Pohatu and I'm not going to insult this fictional character who amounts to a few lumps of plastic (this part of kid-me survived to this day), but his 2008 look just didn't work on many levels. 

Honestly, being covered in goats was better for him than being orange and gray.

Photok is hella cute, though

:kakama:

Edited by Pohaturon
  • Upvote 2

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

Skopio comes to mind for me, knowing I couldn't afford it back then, I decided to split the costs up, I spent awhile making bricklink orders to gather all the pieces, then when I had finally ticked off every box on the set inventory list, I got to work building it, I was expecting much more :(

• Upvote 1

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClo2J14RKmVtcnoJTv7g6PA , Bionicle films coming soon!

Skopio comes to mind for me, knowing I couldn't afford it back then, I decided to split the costs up, I spent awhile making bricklink orders to gather all the pieces, then when I had finally ticked off every box on the set inventory list, I got to work building it, I was expecting much more :(

I had the exact same feeling all the reviews I watched really over glorified it

• Upvote 1

S    Q       U    I       D     M     A     S     T     E    R

check out my imgur gallery for bionicle photography: https://mahatparthiban.imgur.com/all/

Takutanuva for me.

I expected him to be a huge, suped-up version of the original 2003 Makuta with new functions and an impressive aesthetic, but he turned out to be a top-heavy copy of that set with a lackluster function and a few extra blades here and there.

Edited by Tarix819
  • Upvote 1

Honestly, the latter 2008 makuta were kinda lack-luster for me. Gorast was kinda alright, Krika felt too easy but looks fine, but Bitil was very disappointing for me, the set just felt so lack-luster and spindly, it was just kinda lazy feeling. Onua Mistake felt wrong, he was too spindly too. Also, excluding the larger or vehicle sets, certain Glatorian and the certain Agori sets just felt really un-fun and spindly. Gresh was one of these, Gresh wasn't a bad set play-wise, he just looked bad to me, not as bad as Bitil though. Strakk was a bit bad looking too, as well as Skrall, Metus felt a bit lack-luster as well.

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

Based on my personal childhood experience, I'm gonna have to go with the Toa Hordika by a longshot.  I was taking my first steps to outgrowing Bionicle by the time these came out, so I bought it not exactly knowing what to expect, but hey, Vakama looks cool like this so why not, right?

I get that they're supposed to be mutated, and the masks and weapons look awesome.  But after getting such amazing articulated arm pieces in 2004, I always I thought it was lame that one arm was just a 2001 Toa arm.  And I didn't like that the right arm had a gear function that swings from the elbow.  Who swings a weapon from just their elbow anyway?

Edited by Hakura: Toa of Plasma

I remain unmoved by the sheer nothing of a set that was Umbra. A garish colour scheme on a lackluster design with a baffling choice of mask. It being a Walmart exclusive was also really odd because the set wasn't special in any way at all outside of availability. The character in fiction was also bland and forgettable, which did not help matters. It was the first set I can recall truly hating.

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

Fenrakk for me. Vezon was fine though. I loved the set, but found Fenrakk rather clumsy to handle and put somewhere on display. Those front massive legs just splayed out, and the two back legs which looked dinky and silly (Not to mention the silver stands on the tips kept falling off for me), and didn't allow much in the way of posing and posture change. 
I was always baffled in Bionicle Heroes PC that Fenrakk had back legs that were the same as the front, making him look menacing from every angle. I wish they did that, or something similar, but I can understand that would have made Fenrakk pretty repetitive from a consctruction perspective. 
I don't think bad of most sets, especially if they offer something new and are unique in design. Fenrakk achieved that, but was still the set I handled the least because of its state.

Oh, another one for me that I remember from back when I was fully into Bionicle?

Karzahni, for sure.

Don't get me wrong, he was pretty cool in concept, despite looking nothing like the description in Dark Destiny, and the box art concealed the worst of his flaws. But in execution... just, eh. To me, his limbs simply looked too flimsy in contrast to his wide torso. The fact that his legs were so far apart didn't do him any favours, but if they'd been bulked up a bit, I feel like it wouldn't have been a huge issue. As he stood, however... it looked bad to me. He seemed more like a mishmash of random parts than a unified set; plus, his fingers kept falling out, and Vezon's cape didn't sit right on his awkward torso.

In addition, the trap simply didn't interest me, and Sarda seemed dull compared to the year's other Matoran. Idris and her blue Great Ruru was literally my favourite part of the whole set.

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

The only set that I can think of that left me feeling underwhelmed was Kalmah's set. His torso always looked incomplete to me, like it was missing an armor piece of something. I also wasn't a fan of how its tentacles were connected to his hand piece. Overall, I just felt like he was missing a few pieces to his set. 

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Umbra. Definitely Umbra.

Except I didn't get that set, so I can't judge. (Except I can, because it's Umbra.)

Bitil and Ehlek were both sets that looked really cool in promo shots, but really quite awkward and bland in the flesh. On the plus side, I felt the exact opposite with Gorast - bought the set not expecting much and was pleasantly surprised! :D

I remain unmoved by the sheer nothing of a set that was Umbra. A garish colour scheme on a lackluster design with a baffling choice of mask. It being a Walmart exclusive was also really odd because the set wasn't special in any way at all outside of availability. The character in fiction was also bland and forgettable, which did not help matters. It was the first set I can recall truly hating.

Even though I own no 2006 sets besides Zaktan, my disappointment with Umbra is pretty special to me. The set names for 2006's 2nd round was leaked from a foreign catalog, and people were translating Umbra's name as "Strobe Light". So when I first saw Umbra leaked, all I saw was "Strobe Light: The green and yellow roller skate man who wears a horribly unfitting mask that almost every Bionicle fan probably already owns!"

Kopaka Phantoka
Man those 6 years did not work so well for Kopaka. (original Nuva came out late 2002)
Let's face it, a deputy leader of the toa nuva known for his awesome blades in both of his earlier forms and what do we get for him.
Well the set barely does him justice because it but is plagued bad decisions.

• The has no shield which is understandable because you have huge wings getting in the way
  • Kopaka drops a sword option in favor of a puny dagger/bayonet. (Lewa had 2 Air Katana previously he gets a big sabre with the upgrade)
  • The designers also didn't bother keeping the scope on the correct side of his mask like last time and
  • piraka legs for arms that are constantly knocking his shoulder armor 
  • He even has a gunmetal  colored inika chest armor which should at least been recolored into the same silver as the wings.

I got plenty of issues with the others 2008 toa about what happened to them after their 6 year hiatus in G1 but i dont want to write a essay. In short2015/2016 was way better than 2008.

Edited by necross hordika
  • Upvote 1

qs3135.jpg

Kopaka Phantoka

Let's face it, a deputy leader of the toa nuva known for his awesome blades in bothe forms and what do we get for him. Well the set barely does him justice. The set sacrificed the shield for wings which is understandable. but compared to Lewa who had previously 2 katana Kopaka drops a sword option in favor of a puny dagger/bayonet. The designers also omitted keeping the scope on the correct side of his mask like last time, lastly piraka legs for arms mean that the legs are constantly knocking his armor off his shoulders and the inika chest armor wasn't even recolored silver.

Man those 6 years did not work so well for Kopaka.

I got plenty of issues with the others 2008 toa about what happened to them after their 6 year hiatus in G1 but i dont want to write a essay. 2015/2016 was way better than 2008.

On top of that he held his blaster really awkwardly so it was difficult to pose him well.

• Upvote 1

Even though I own no 2006 sets besides Zaktan, my disappointment with Umbra is pretty special to me. The set names for 2006's 2nd round was leaked from a foreign catalog, and people were translating Umbra's name as "Strobe Light". So when I first saw Umbra leaked, all I saw was "Strobe Light: The green and yellow roller skate man who wears a horribly unfitting mask that almost every Bionicle fan probably already owns!"

I had entirely forgotten about the "Strobe Light" part until you reminded me. What a letdown.

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

Today I picked up the 5 Protectors from 2015 that I was missing, and I must say I find the build of Protector of Fire to be voraciously offensive (not really, but it's really, really bad).

I mean, for comparison, the Protector of Ice who also lacks elbows is my second favorite Protector, and would be my #1 if I wouldn't default to favoriting Stone elemental sets when applicable. I modded him to have elbows with the shortest units of CCBS bone (like in his lower legs) and this way he's even more fantastic. Then I modded the Protector of Fire to also have elbows, but his body shape makes him still look unappealing with the mod, and even then he's my least favorite Protector. The weapons, I find, are poor, and while the others use the six-shooter in interesting ways, his is just stuck to his shoulder just to tick a checkbox. I really feel Lego dropped the ball with this set, and he's really the only G2 set I outright dislike.

:kakama:

• Upvote 1

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

• 2 weeks later...

Hm... for me i think it is the Toa Inika. The build was so simplified and the canisters had no function. Plus the masks were uncool and ugly. I only bought Kongu as the green Toas were always my favourite, but it was disappointed by them since they were so boring. Well except for the flashing axe/bowgun. Thank goodness Kongu got a much more interesting build the year after. :D

small_daidalos_banner.jpg

Surprised nobody's said Solek yet. He was the first 2008 Matoran I got, so he was my introduction to all of the disappointing things about them in general, but even compared to them he's a letdown. The Shadow Matoran have cool aesthetic features, while Tanma and Photok have more interesting colors and weapons. The only thing I don't despise about Solek is the mask. First time I was disappointed by a set.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

i've gotta echo that i was pretty stoked for Skopio, and while it had some neat aspects to the build, i was really underwhelmed once it was complete. nothing anywhere close to the awesomeness that was the Mobile Crane Mk II or similar sets (though i suppose this is reflected in the price)

~Bionicle Online Games Guru~
Current Bionicle Sets: 232/250
2001: 23/24 2002: 20/21 2003: 22/22 2004: 22/22 2005: 23/23
2006: 16/22 2007: 22/22 2008: 25/27 2009: 26/26 2010: 4/6
2015: 18/18 2016: 11/17