Toa Mata as the Main Heroes of Bionicle Gen 3?

Toa Smoke Monster

Toa Mata as the Main Heroes of Bionicle Gen 3.  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The subject of this poll is simple enough: Would you want to see the Toa Mata (Tahu, Lewa, Onua, Gali, Pohatu, and Kopaka) be the main heroes of Bionicle Gen 3? 

(I know that a Gen 3 Bionicle is either not going to happen or won't happen for a long time, but for the sake of this question let's just assume that it's going to happen. :) )

For me, I could go either way. I wouldn't mind seeing them return for a third go. But I also wouldn't mind seeing new characters be introduced in a new story. I guess it would depend on what kind of story they were telling.

What do you all think? Do you want to see the Toa Mata return as the main heroes of Bionicle Gen 3?

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

It all depends on how the story would be set up. The Toa Mata are indeed very iconic, but using them for the sake of nostalgia can also undermine the story. I felt that G2 was only using them for this reason, and failed to respect them as actual characters, rather than simply money-making machines.

• Upvote 1

I chose other because I would like to have G3 set in the far future which doesn't require you to have known all of G1, possibly using matoran such as Maku and Hafu as toa could work, and keep the Mata to legends and cave paintings

• Upvote 2

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClo2J14RKmVtcnoJTv7g6PA , Bionicle films coming soon!

I'd really love to see something new even though I know that if a G3 will happen it likely will star the Mata. It's kinda like how Kirk and his crew are the face of Star Trek in the public eye even though a lot of the fans love TNG more.

Maybe Bionicle as a brand has faced enough damage to where it could get different main characters or have the Mata exist outside of that role. It would be a difficult thing to balance change and tradition with Bionicle, especially since it sometimes had its own trouble with maintaining a consistent personality.

• Upvote 1

I'm conflicted. I'd like to see some new characters, or even existing G1 characters who we didn't see enough of, get some time in the spotlight. When the franchise gets its third iteration, it would be good to see a somewhat fresher take on it than G2 was, but in a way that remains faithful to G1, possibly as many suggest in the form of a story set in the G1 universe, but in the far future of it. The Toa Mata (well, Nuva, technically) would exist in this universe, but wouldn't be the main characters. 

But, and it is a pretty big but, I'm a huge Pohatu fan, meaning if the Toa Mata/Nuva are the main characters of G3, we get more Pohatu, which is always a good thing. This led me to vote "yes", however I'd be okay with the Mata existing as secondary characters in G3, as long as they are around in some capacity.

:kakama:

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

I for one would like to see different protagonists. As someone who didn't get on the Bionicle train in 2001-2003, the Mata don't really have a special importance to me compared to any other set of characters or even a new set. And I think the focus on them despite no other returning characters is one reason why I, and maybe others, might have felt less motivated to follow Gen 2.

Not really.

Even if it is a reboot, it means we would have seen the 6 original characters about 6 times, and whilst I know they are favourites for many fans, milking them to death is not the best idea.

Besides, in my eyes, a truly successful G3 would have lots of links to G1, perhaps being set in the same universe, unlike Okoto from G2. We would have completely new characters for the new fans, but story wise, they would link heavily with our favourite characters from G1, for the older fans.

The scarceness of these links was one of the reasons as to why G2 failed so badly (and the sets were terrible IMHO). I know that one of the reasons I didn't buy any G2 sets was because I found the story a bit 'meh' compared to G1. As such, it needs to be different in G3.

Edited by Tarix819

I chose other because I would like to have G3 set in the far future which doesn't require you to have known all of G1, possibly using matoran such as Maku and Hafu as toa could work, and keep the Mata to legends and cave paintings

The most significant issue with this would be that Maku and Hafu lack both the freshness of new characters and the iconic fame of the Mata. It's tough to work off of a reboot that stars other G1 characters.

Not really.

Even if it is a reboot, it means we would have seen the 6 original characters about 6 times, and whilst I know they are favourites for many fans, milking them to death is not the best idea.

I agree with the validity of the serious risk of ruining the Mata if said characters continue to be overused; that said, the reason that they are utilized so often is because they were attractive, well-defined characters. Given solid writing and sufficient development, they're just great to read about. On my side, they were one of the biggest reasons for the early success of G1.

Edited by Azani
  • Upvote 1

Find (digital) me under the name Azani on YouTube, Eurobricks, Discord, the BioMedia Project and the TTV Message Boards.

Please check out Project AFTERMAN on Tumblr and Facebook; I'm proud to have worked as their PR Manager and as a writer.

AAZZ.jpg

I can't say I'm on board with not using the Mata. They're the face of the franchise, and it seems wrong to exclude them. If we'd seen 3 generations with them starring in the show, then I might opt for other G1 characters as the protagonists; but we've seen them only twice, and the second time was a rather sorry try.

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

I voted no.  There's only so much you can do with a character or group of characters before it feels like they're becoming overused.  What with the three iterations of the Toa Mata/Nuva we got in G1 (and the four iterations of Tahu alone), and their G2 selves being the only heroes for the entirety of the reboot, I'm starting to grow a bit weary of them.

Now, if G3 were to focus on the Toa Metru/Hordika, I'd jump on that.  But not the Toa Mata/Nuva.  I like them, but it's time to put them in the Old Toa's Retirement Home.