The DuckTales Topic

Wiriamu

So with the recent premier of the DuckTales 2017 TV movie and the forthcoming series premier, I thought some fellow fans-don't know that this fandom has an actual nickname-might want to chat about it. EDIT: This isn't restricted to new DuckTales; you can discuss the classic series and it's associated media as well, along with the comics that inspired both series.

Personally, I'm loving the new series from what I've seen of it thus far, from all the Easter eggs and references to all the new developments. Probably the most exciting thing is that there definitely seems to be an effort-on the part of the show's creators if no one else-to set things up for a potential shared universe of Disney television, most likely involving reboots/reimaginings of such series as TaleSpin, GoofTroop, and Darkwing Duck (particularly the latter, since the terror that flaps in the night is supposed to be making a guest appearance later this season). Will it happen? I suppose it depends on how fans react to DuckTales.

Well, the field is now open for any and all discussions, theories, comments, and so forth with regards to the series. Before I sign off though, I did want to share a theory-spoilered in case you're not into that thing or haven't seen "Woo-oo!" yet:

Webby Vanderquack's new conspiracy board features a shadowy photo/placeholder for "Dirty Dingus", referring to Scrooge McDuck's grandfather Dingus McDuck who worked as a coal miner and had a reputation as something of a harsh sort. Adjacent to said placeholder are papers reading "Scrooge's worst nightmare" and "Friend or F.O.W.L.", the latter a reference to a criminal organization teased in the original DuckTales and later fully realized in Darkwing Duck. These elements were first pointed out to be by a podcast-I'll have to go back and look up which one. Now, the leadership of F.O.W.L. consisted of the High Command, a trio of shadowy figures whose identities were never revealed, but one of their silhouettes seems to be that of an anthropomorphic duck.

As such, I think it likely that-as the podcast suggested-Dingus might have been involved in the founding of F.O.W.L., and/or may still be leading the organization due to having his life prolonged through some means, whether technological or occult-F.O.W.L. has a history with both in various media. Said podcast also suggested that F.O.W.L. and it's connection-if any-to Dirty Dingus may play a role in Darkwing Duck's upcoming appearance and how Scrooge becomes involved. And adding to the potential drama is the fact that Dingus McDuck is known to have married one Molly Mallard. Mallard-as in Drake Mallard, Darkwing Duck's alias; which means that if they are playing off these potential links, Scrooge and Darkwing might well be related.

Edited by Makaru

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge

Wow I didn't hear that theory before, but I'm really interested to see how it plays outDucktales, (aside from a few episode reviews and such) but it seemed really enjoyable. Part of me wants to search out the other episodes soon. On the other hand I did watch quite a few Darkwing episodes and am really eager to see if and how he appears in the show, if rumors are true.

I dare say I hadn't heard that theory before, but I would support the idea! 

Ah easter eggs, I just love them! Webby's wall is full of them. A keen eye will even spot this in that room as well:

761.jpg

R.I.P. old webby design. I guess everyone had their fill of her (she was a bit annoying to be honest...)

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

He is definitely appearing, but it may not be what we were expecting...

So went back and found the podcast: it's the first full episode of the Disney Dads Cartoon Afternoon, a DuckTales/Disney Afternoon podcast that started with the new DuckTales but has also been going through episodes of the classic series. They were the ones who pointed out the Dingus/F.O.W.L. connection to me, though I made the High Command and Mallard family name discoveries on my own. However, my theory appears to have been thoroughly kiboshed by news from their most recent episode-#3 of classic DuckTales as of this post. According to said episode, Jim Cummings-Darkwing's voice actor-recently did an interview-since taken down at the insistence of Disney-revealed that Darkwing Duck's appearance in DuckTales will be as an in-universe fictional character; essentially he's the nephews' favorite TV superhero.

Edited by Wiriamu

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

I have considered giving it a look, but I can't watch the first episode because it's restricted in my country.

That's too bad, and doesn't really make sense to me seeing how Disney has made such an apparent effort to make it so readily available in the U.S.

The series looks to be quite interesting once it really gets started: the various synopses/titles released so far indicate that we'll be seeing the Beagle Boys in episode 2 and episode 4 (the latter will also feature Ma Beagle), Gyro Gearloose in episode 3, new characters Lena (who I imagine at least one of the nephews will have a crush on) and Mark Beaks in episodes 4 and 6 respectively, and the Terrafirmians and Gladstone Gander in episodes 5 and 7. Gyro's appearance undoubtedly means we'll be seeing Gizmoduck fairly soon.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

Short Stories

MOCs