Are we playing BZP Mata Nui or Survivor: Mata Nui right now?

With a bit of work, and the right person running it, I could definitely imagine a Survivor-style game being a workable concept. 

• Upvote 2

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

pzVfeI1.png

Episode 3 – Beneath the Surface (Part 1)

-Daenerys-

Daenerys, Rhialtus, Toru

Flanked by five guards, Daenerys returned to the Sanctum to find Onaku conspicuously absent. "Any word on the Diplomat. For the five troops are ready for the exchange? In the meantime I need to discuss an idea to you. I wish to journey to Po-Koro with some convert troops to acquirer some Nui-Jaga stingers. There black market should have some if not they should have some Makika."

"I haven't heard anything from the diplomat for the past several minutes.  Either talking to his troops takes a long time, or he's gone. I am intrigued by your wish to go to Po-Koro for Nui-Jaga stingers; however, I'd prefer if Toru went instead of you.  You're needed here."

"I like to get the stingers as soon as possible maybe we could just send a group of three in disguises to Po-Koro. I'm not sure if Toru would approve after we just scared away a diplomat."

"Three in disguises, you say?  That gives me an idea..."

"Care to explain this idea honey."

"...As I was saying,” Toru interrupted, whistling for a guard to bring in the three bandits he’d captured earlier, “the bandits claim that the hunting party's unfortunate demise was the work of a pack, not just one singular beast, and that they are heading towards Mount Ihu."

"A pack of what exactly?" Daenerys demanded.

"Are you releasing us already?" one of the trio chuckled at Toru as he was led inside, "That's got to be a new record. Shortest prison sentence on all of Mata Nui."

"I see your eager for your freedom.” Daenerys interjected, “What if I could offer all three of you a clean slate. Would you be interested?"

"That was a joke." The Matoran's tone turned deadpan. "And we might be interested... if you could actually follow up on that offer."

"Which you can't." Another chimed in, "You don't even know what we did. Or where we did it. Or who we did it to."

Rhialtus spoke up, "Please, Dany, let me handle these three. I'm afraid your strict demeanor will discourage them from talking. Besides..." she whispered in her ear, "…I'll talk to them about your Po-Koro idea."

"The fact is you admitted to something worthy of a crime.” Daenerys continued, ignoring her Turaga, “I'm willing to burn your criminal records in that fireplace," Daenerys pointed, "and... I'm willing to pay you three so long as you complete a task for me." She took a small bag from her coat pocket and dropped it on the table. "I need you to go to the black market of Po-Koro and buy some Nui-Jaga stingers, as many as you can find. If you return not only will I let you keep the change but I'll tip you each with a bag twice as full. Also your individual freedoms."

The trio conferred amongst themselves for a moment, before the leader spoke. "We aren't exactly the most popular guys in Po-Koro right now, so we'll be needing one of those..." he pointed at the bag of coins on the table, "...each, upfront. Plus separate funds to buy the stingers. We'll also need supplies for the journey - food, weaponry, etc. We're not making the trip to Po-Koro without provisions, or the means to defend ourselves."

"Dany, stop. I'm in charge of deals like this, not you." Rhialtus said, more firmly this time, "We'll give you supplies, and funds to purchase the stingers, but no full up-front payment will be made. Who's to say you won't go running off as soon as you leave the Koro? Ko-Koro can't afford to lose that much money without results. We'll give you one-third up front, and the rest when you return successfully. If you return at all."

After a few more moments of quiet conversation, the trio agreed to her terms.

"Very good. Have a productive trip." To a nearby soldier, Rhialtus added, "Accompany these three to their equipping, and to Po-Koro as well."

"Do we get to play with those cool crossbows?" One of the trio asked hopefully.

"No," Rhialtus said flatly.

Once they were gone, Daenerys spoke again, "Well, today could of gone better."

“It could have.” Rhialtus agreed.

"None of what just happened actually helps us with the current situation, you know that, right?" Toru grumbled.

"How so, Toru?" Rhialtus asked.

"I believe he's referring to the creatures that killed those hunters."

"If what they say is true, we should investigate the general area of Mount Ihu for anything suspicious."

"Rhialtus if it is okay with you, may I take a patrol to Mount Ihu?” Daenerys was quick to volunteer for the task, “Such a threat may need military action."

"You may.  Take a small patrol, though; we don't want to risk losing too many soldiers." To Toru, she said, "In the meantime, Toru, I have an assignment for you."

"Does it involve wanton destruction?" Toru asked hopefully.

"No, it involves espionage, subterfuge, and general sneaking around-ing.  Your specialty."

"It will probably end up causing wanton destruction anyway."

Recognising her cue to leave, Daenerys quickly made her way out of the Sanctum.

-Smoke Monster-

Smoke Monster

"How have things been since we left?" Smoke Monster asked, as he and his companions arrived back at camp. The remaining soldiers held up a few small bags, filled with chunks of salt they'd managed to chip away from the cliffside.

"Getting salt from the cliff seems to be more of a challenge than I realized. So I guess it's time to get some reinforcements.” He picked out four of the soldiers. "I want you to go back to Onu-Koro and turn in the salt that we've collected so far. After all, we need to turn in something to the village. Afterwards, I want to get two Boxors and bring them up here. If anyone questions this, tell them it's a direct order from me and that we need them to get salt at a more profitable rate."

The soldiers returned within the hour, with two of the Boxors – bulky, armoured exo-suits designed to accommodate a Matoran pilot – in tow. Smoke instructed two of his soldiers to clamber into the machines, and they swiftly set to work breaking up the cliff they’d been mining the salt from.

The rock shattered easily under the relentless blows of the machines, scattering shards of rock across the ground. Some of the other soldiers sifted through the debris, gathering up what salt they could find. Smoke Monster, meanwhile, set off into the wilderness with three more soldiers at his back.

Iaredios wanted his salt, and he would have it. But Captain Smoke Monster wanted to find out what else Onu-Wahi had to offer.

-Iaredios-

Erihapeti, Iaredios, Whenua, Mavrah, Onaku (after entrance)

Dropping off the rescued miner, Erihapeti and Koura rode after Whenua, while Iaredios followed. The Ussal proved itself faster than the decrepit old man, grabbing him with its claws and pinning him to the tunnel floor.

"Tell me what is beyond that barricade!” Iaredios snapped, yanking the scroll from the hands of the terrified, defenceless old man, “I hope it was worth leaving us ignorant over." As he spoke, a messenger joined them, handing Iaredios a note.

He unfurled the scroll, intending to uncover all the secrets that Whenua had been keeping… but quickly realised it wasn’t going to be that easy. The piece he held was part of something much larger, torn off at both top and bottom, cutting off parts of the text mid-sentence.

-capricious beings of ravenous hunger, created with the sole purpose of devouring all life, and leaving the world as barren as it had been in the before time. After the Queens’ defeat, they were instructed to seek out and destroy the vessels that kept their mothers’ powers divided and contained. They tunnelled up from the depths of the island, only to find themselves blocked by the same magics that kept their creators contained. As long as the Brothers-”

"Turaga, would you mind if I took a look at the scroll as well, when you are done with it?"

This is highly interesting... The leader thought. Perhaps he should have been scared, but while he was optimistic he was almost paradoxically skeptical, and so sheer puzzling curiosity took him. He handed the scroll fragment to Erihapeti, and started perusing the letter that the messenger had brought him, while asking her, "What did you see in there? Do I need to call Smoke Monster back immediately as well as prepare more fortifications along that accursed tunnel?"

Before she could reply, Onaku suddenly joined them in the tunnel, "Hey, I'm back from Ko-Koro... what's going on here?"

"We want to figure out what was causing our miners to disappear.” Erihapeti replied, “Turns out it was a spheroid sort creature that lives in this particular tunnel, which just appeared out of nowhere one day. Managed to rescue one of the miners who was stuck in the tunnel. Now, since Whenua began to run away after we saved him, as well as was reluctant to say anything, we forcibly took this scroll from in a hope for answers."

"Things just keep getting better and better.” Onaku groaned, “By the way, I'm sorry to say this, but I'm uncertain if my deal with Ko-Koro will go through. I asked for ice, just like I was supposed to, but the two representatives I was talking to gave me strange vibes. I made a judgment call and decided to get out of there while they weren't looking, as to ensure the safety of my men and myself. I suspect this will be taken poorly, possibly even impacting our trade relationship with them, but I did not feel safe there, and I will take full responsibility for any impact this may have on our village. I am truly sorry it turned out like this, Turaga."

"Excuse me Onaku. Eriha, did you see traces of nesting or the whereabouts of the other miners? These things have to have a home, and our people may have become part of their prey-list. And do you think we are in any immediate danger? Does that barricade need to be sealed with brick and mortar? ...!..." He turned abruptly to Onaku, grasped by a sudden onset of inspiration, “"Wait, sorry Eriha. Onaku, it is a shame about the ice trade, as that had real promise, but our ranks are low enough as is and strange things are occurring around the island. Your safety is my concern. We can try that ice trade talk again in a bit. ...speaking of strange things, the diplomat from Ta-Koro has sent us a trade proposal. They ask for a supply of our sun goggle invention and in return we get rare metal from their volcano. I am okay with this, but upon mentioning mortar I was reminded of the letter's reference to the volcano and I had to say it immediately. Apologies Erihapeti. I had an epiphany on how to increase the strength of our mortar, volcanic ash and salt. Let us add volcanic ash to the proposal and we get more income for our great village. They get the stuff constantly so like ice they would be happy to be free of some of it. You may stay to rest for a tad but your next objective is to handle this trade negotiation with Ta-Koro."

"I'll be off to Ta-Koro immediately. No sense in delaying these negotiations. I feel like each second we waste is another step closer to our annihilation. Perhaps ten soldiers is a tad too many, so this time I'll take five with me. Wouldn't want to send the wrong message. Good luck to both of you in whatever it is you're doing. I'll do my best to get the resources we need through this trade."

"Unfortunately, Turaga, it was too dark and too dense a situation to see inside the tunnels, so I didn't notice any form of nesting. As for whether or not we should seal this tunnel for good, I am not entirely sure. At the very least, we should cut off mining in this tunnel. If these 'Bohrok' continue to move forward, it would be bad for any more miners to be lost down here. ...My hesitation of closing it is in the scroll itself. It mentions a group of some sort going down to destroy the Queens and their 'vessels.' It also mentions them getting trapped when they came back up. If these beings are still down there, it may provide useful to have a direct source to reach them."

"Actually, Turaga, may I request going with Onaku to Ta-Koro? I received this strange letter from somebody there who is expecting me, and I get the feeling that I don't want to dissapoint them." Erihapeti held out the letter to her Turaga.

After skimming the letter Iaredios frowned, "...this sounds too creepy in my honest opinion. Not to mention how much of a coincidence it is that an anonymous source wants to privately "visit" with my spymaster. I don't want you to go: I do not question the strength of your mind and will, but merchants reports whisper that Ta-Koro has been sketchy these days... It all just does not feel right." He sighed, “I am fair, however, I am open to negotiation. Give me a more than good reason, and I won't argue with your reason if a rebuke can't be found."

"With all due respect, Turaga, Erihapeti can take care of herself, and with me and several soldiers accompanying her, I doubt there is much danger, especially considering that they are actively seeking to improve our diplomatic relations, which is more than can be said about Ko-Koro. Besides, if she does not go, what kind of a message will that be sending to them? That we do not trust them? I don't think that's a very good way to start off our negotiations, and as this village's diplomat, I must object to you preventing her from accepting this offer, as it may turn out to be a hindrance to diplomacy operating smoothly between our two villages."

"Personally, I am interested in what information we could gain from them. Whenua has been... reluctant with providing us details on what's been going on. However, Ta-Koro also houses former Turaga Vakama, who also worked with Whenua, do they not? I'm sure after hearing about what Whenua 'told' us, he may be more forgiving with information about the Bohrok and the Queens. That being said, that 'admirer' is not someone I'm keen on running into... but I would probably be able to hand them. But, really, the choice is yours, Turaga. I may personally want to go to Ta-Koro, but I will still respect whatever your word is. If you think the reward outweighs the risk, than I will go. If you don't believe that to be a wise decision, then I won't go."

"Hmm, you have convinced me. Apologies, I am a paranoid man, and recent events have only gone to thicken such senses. You can bring a single pair of goggles as a sample gift to their Turaga and further entice them to accept the addition of ample volcanic ash to the deal. Be wary you two. ...And I would like certainty on the Ko-Koro ice deal while you lot are on the surface world. How you go about that is up to you. "

Snatching up Whenua’s dropped staff, he slammed the butt of it against the ground and declared, “Whenua, tell me everything else you know on these "Bohrok" as well as other like-legends. Your village demands it."

"Bohrok? Where did you hear that name?” As Whenua asked the question, it occurred to Iaredios that he hadn’t seen the term ‘Bohrok’ on the ex-Turaga’s scroll. So where had Erihapeti learned of it?

"It was in your notes, on the margins of the scroll." Erihapeti spoke up. Whenua’s only response was a guilty silence.

Iaredios took back the scroll and started to skim through it, searching for some sign of the mystery notes Erihapeti claimed to have seen.

"Come with me everyone. ...And Onaku, in reference to what was said before, this is not a waste of time. Now prepare a sheet, I want to compare notes."

Back at the barricade, the four guards were huddled around their rescued friend, giving him food and water. "What's your name?" Erihapeti asked as the group approached.

"-- and if you are able, I would like you to detail to us what you experienced while deep in the tunnel; don't be afraid, you are in safe hands now." He turned to Onaku, "Be sure you record what he says Onaku, I want to study this while you two are away."

"Record it on what? I do not exactly have any inscription utensils on me, nor anything to inscribe it on, unless you want me to carve it into the floor or cavern wall with my sword?"

-Kaathe-

Kaathe, Pahrak, Quin (after entrance)

As Kaathe arrived at the gates of Po-koro, he immediately turned to the nearest guards. “I want you to watch the horizon in the direction I came. If you catch even the faintest glimpse of multiple white objects on the horizon, you get your backside down from that tower and you run to my location to inform me. I'll be joining General Pahrak in the morgue." To the other guards, he added, "If you see him run to find me, you get to work ensuring the civilians are ordered into their homes and buildings. The creatures that will come, don't engage them. Don't even try and get in their way, They don't attack unless provoked, and hopefully if our lookout does his job, by the time they reach Po-koro's gates, I will have already left and they will pass through peacefully as long as no one gets in their way. Got it? Good."

He made his way to the morgue, where he found Pahrak casually prying pieces off of the dead creatures, "Welcome back.  Take a look at this." He held up the creature’s claw, smiling for a moment, and then reached toward the one still attached to the creature. He tugged add it, only to lose his grip and tumble backwards, landing on his rear on the floor. "These might come in handy.” He grunted, getting back up, “Other than that, though, I'm getting nothing from looking over this thing."

"Yes yes." Kaathe’s disinterest was palpable, "Right now time is of the essence, as I have those blasted creatures following me. I found Turaga Onewa, though he was dead and had supposedly been transporting this." He yanked the living mask out of his satchel, grasping it in gloved hands, "I don't know what is, but those things want it. As you can see, it's almost mask-like. I know this is going to sound stupid... But I want to attempt to make contact with it, and I think the only way for me to do that is to try wearing it like a mask."

“Oh… okay…”

"I know it sounds crazy, but those creatures want this for some reason, and there is no one on this island who would likely be able to provide any sort of information on why these creatures want it. I'm stuck in a hard place General. I have those creatures following me, drawn to this thing. Yet I saw this thing... it seems to fear them. Why does it fear them? How did it stay alive for all those years since the poisoning? I can either kill this thing, which I suspect will only enrage the white creatures further. I can give this to them, which given the fear it has towards those creatures would likely spell bad news for us, or I can continue running to keep the creatures from getting it. None of these are good choices. Progress cannot be made without risks. However I would not have come to you if I planned to just put it on. I need your help."

"Hm.” Pahrak thought it over, “If that's what you think is best, then sure, I'll help you.  What exactly do you want me to do?"

"As soon as I put the thing on, I want your guards to restrain me by shoulders and arms. There is no knowing what such a thing will do. But you Pahrak, you get the most important job. If I seem to act strangely, or as if I'm not me after putting it on, I want you to rip it from my face. I trust in your judgement. But if I don't seem to be in immediate pain or danger, wait before you take it off. I have no idea what putting it on will do. Just don't let me leave here with it on, unless we are certain. If Turaga Onewa gave his life to capture this thing, there must be some importance to it."

Pahrak snapped out an order, and two guards moved into position behind Kaathe, ready to grab him, “Whenever you're ready."

"If for whatever reason I should die, make sure to head for my residence and do what you please with my Kahu, Roxy." And with that final request made, he lowered the fleshy creature over his face.

The mask-thing squeezed and contorted its body through one of the eyeholes of his mask before settling into place over his face, clinging to him like a second skin. To those watching, Kaathe went completely still, his breathing even, his limbs limp. Inwardly, Kaathe was filled with an... awareness.

He could sense the insect-ish creatures, everywhere, all over the island. From the flooded jungles of Le-Wahi, to the depths of Naho Bay, to the outskirts of Ta-Koro, to the tunnels of Onu-Wahi, and the slopes of Mount Ihu. And there were more, so many more, waiting below. Dozens, hundreds, thousands, just waiting to be reawakened. They were like locusts, an unstoppable swarm designed solely to devour. Below it all shone six minds, stronger than the rest. Two powerful presences loomed at the edges of his consciousness, threatening to utterly overwhelm him...

...but something intervened. Something darker and more awful than the things he could already sense. Something that swept away his incomprehensible awareness, and left him only with the white creatures he had encountered earlier.

The Kohrak, they are called. Whispered the dark thing, They are yours now.

"Kohrak..." Kaathe repeated, slowly returning to the regular world, "They’re called Kohrak."

"Okay, a name's nice.” Pahrak replied, nodding for the guards to release Kaathe, “What else have you got for us?"

Quin chose that exact moment to enter the morgue. "Ah Turaga... Glad to see you have returned. Where is our Diplomat?" Kaathe greeted him.

"'How many pieces is she in' might be the better question," Pahrak grumbled.

"She is currently overseeing our new guards being trained." Quin seemed nervous.

"Whose soul did you have to sell to get Ta-koro to give us guards freely?" Kaathe took a shaky step towards Quin, his demeanor darkening, "Or what did you offer them in return... Turaga?"

"Po-Koro now recognizes Turaga Elittra as their queen. While we are an autonomous region, we now follow Ta-Koro's lead in warfare, should it occur. And in return, they will supply us with fresh weapons and armor and purified water."

Pahrak eyes slowly widened as the Turaga spoke.  Gritting his teeth, he took a few steps forward and said, "So being Ga-Koro's slaves wasn't enough for you?  You want us to be under Ta-Koro's heel too?  The last overlords we trusted poisoned us--will these set our village ablaze? Tell me this is some larger plan of yours.  That you didn't just tie us up in a bow on a whim.  Because if you answer wrong, Turaga, I think a great many of our people will be most displeased with you."

Kaathe reached into his satchel, retrieving a tan mask... a mask that would likely be very familiar to all those within the room. "I found the body of Turaga Onewa, dead for many moons." He tossed the mask to Quin, before storming past him, I have more important matters to attend to than dealing with a parasite who is so quick to leech off the might of the strong than to create their own strength." Kaathe motioned to Pahrak and the guards within the hut, "Join me if you wish to watch as I single-handedly reclaim Po-koro's independance in one fell swoop."

“Whatever he means by that...it sounds like it'll be a nightmare for Ga-Koro,” he heard Pahrak speak to Quin one last time, before the Captain and his soldiers feel into step behind their Scout.

Quin ran after them. "Whatever it is you're planning on doing, I order you to stop!"

Kaathe stopped dead in his tracks. He slowly looked over his shoulder at Quin, a sinister glint behind his eyes. "You don't have the POWER to stop me. While you've been off selling Po-koro's people like they were a commodity, I've been busy elsewhere, securing po-koro's future." And with that Kaathe continued on his way towards the front gate, and closer to the creatures he could feel on the fringes of his mind.

-Fractyl-

Shadowvezon (until exit), Fractyl, Azalea, Tuyet

As the pair prepared to depart, Shadowvezon appeared before them. "The divers have been assembled and are ready to begin the search."

"Excellent, Captain. Azalea has provided us with another lead that she and I are going to check out. As long as the divers know they're looking for any strange predators or other things that might have killed so many Rahi, you're welcome to just send them out and stay here."

"Thank you. I wish you luck with your lead."

"We should get going soon." Azalea reminded her Turaga.

"Yes, of course. Farewell for the moment, Captain."

Fractyl and Azalea arrived at the abandoned greenhouse to find the cult meeting already in full swing. A little over a dozen Matoran were seated near the front of the room, while Tuyet preacheed emphatically at them about faith, gesturing to the rusty mask on the pedestal. She hadn't noticed the new arrivals yet.

Fractyl stopped at the doorway of the greenhouse, chest still in her grasp. She coughed softly, what was enough to get Tuyet’s attention.

"You're just in time," the cult leader crooned, glancing up at the group. There was no sign of surprise or concern on her face at the sight of the guards, "Please, come inside."

Fractyl spoke before entering, so her walking inside would not seem like such an immediate response to Tuyet's request. "We've brought something that I think belongs to you." She cautiously stepped inside with the guards.

"Ah, yes, Azalea mistakenly took my knife with her when she left. So kind of you to return it to me."

"Oh, not that. But I believe she may still have that too." Fractyl replied.

"Ah, fine." Azalea reluctantly took out the knife and offered it to Tuyet.

"If you're not here to return this to me," Tuyet paused, taking back the knife and sliding it into a sheath on her lower back, "What did you come here to give me?"

Fractyl set the chest down between the two of them, repeating what she had done earlier in the hut. Kneeling to unlock it, stepping back, and kicking it open to reveal the unnaturally pristine Kolhii ball within.

"Oh, isn't that beautiful?" Tuyet crooned, leaning in closer, "Do you have any idea how rare these are nowadays? I'm surprised you're just giving it away, given everything it could do for you."

"I found it lying on the beach. After Azalea told me you had one, I figured you might have lost this one at some point."

"This isn't mine, but I'd be happy to take it off your hands. It'll look wonderful next to the one I took from- well, that's not important."

She straightened to her feet. "What do you want for it?"

"A brief summary of your teachings. I would like to learn more than what Azalea told me, and understand what your stance is during this tense time. Other than that, take it as a token of good will."

"Well, class, it looks like we've got a new student!" Tuyet stepped back to take her place at the front of the room. "Let's show our Turaga what we've learned together. In the time before time, there were..."

"Two Brothers." The crowd answered, eerily monotone. "Two Queens. A Viceroy. An Empress. An Other."

"That's right!" Tuyet grinned like a child with candy, "And what did the Queens want to do?"

"Devour and Destroy."

"So what did the Brothers do?"

"Stopped them."

"But now that the Brothers are gone, what's happening?"

"The Queens are hungry again."

"...And... Can we do anything?" Fractyl interrupted.

"Well, aren't you a quick study?" Tuyet's tone was full of motherly approval, "But the answer is quite a complex one. It's not about what we can do, but what we must undo."

"And just what is going to be undone?" Azalea finally asked.

"Yes, tell us plainly. I'm an engineer, not a poet. Well, actually I'm not an engineer either..."

"The Brothers are Mata Nui and Makuta. They stopped these creatures before, and they can do it again. If we restore Makuta to power, he can reawaken Mata Nui, and they can save the island."

"But would he want to reawaken Mata Nui? And would it be possible to do it the other way around? Mata Nui awakening Makuta?" Fractyl’s question was one of simple curiosity – she felt neither admiration nor contempt towards either brother.

"Makuta was the one who put Mata Nui to sleep. Without the Toa, only he can reawaken them." Tuyet's smile turned cold, "The only way to save this island is to put your faith in the god of chaos and cruelty. Isn't this going to be fun?!"

"As was said earlier, how can we be sure if Makuta would want to awaken Mata Nui even if we put our faith in him? What if he rejects the task?" Azalea pressed.

"Then we're all doomed." Something in Tuyet’s tone made it clear that the prospect didn’t bother her in the slightest.

"But we're definitely doomed if we don't try to awaken him?" Fractyl asked.

“Absolutely," Tuyet's smile wavered slightly, "Probably. Maybe." She shrugged. "Who can be certain? I'm sure you two are as aware as I that Makuta isn't the most... unbiased source of information."

Fractyl raised an eyebrow. "What does that mean?"

-Smoke Monster-

Smoke Monster

"Let's see what else this land has." The Onu-Koroan anarchist addressed his troops. "I want three of you to come with me on a scavenger hunt of sorts across the land of Onu-Wahi. If there is something interesting around, I hope we find it. The rest of you stay here and continue digging up salt. If something comes up and threatens you, use the Boxors to punch it in the face."

With that, the four Matoran clambered onto Ussals, and set off across the windswept wastes. For a long while, they found nothing. Eventually, though, Smoke Monster spotted something shiny in the distance, caught in a crack in the surface of a nearby rocky outcropping. As the patrol drew closer, the shiny thing resolved itself to be a kolhii ball, forcibly jammed into a crack halfway up the sheer rockface. Smoke wasn’t sure why someone would go to such extreme lengths to keep a sporting item out of easy reach, but there had to be a reason, and the best way to figure out that reason would be to retrieve the item.

He snapped out an order to two of his men, who carefully clambered up the cliffside, using pickaxes to dig the ball free. One of the guards put the item in a bag hanging from his shoulder, and then the pair began their descent. As they reached the ground however, the dirt beneath their feet exploded upwards, knocking them off their feet. A lithe, reptilian shape emerged from the newly-formed rupture in the ground, its body a sandy yellow-orange in colour. A sand Tarakava, a long way from its usual home in the Po-Wahi desert.

The beast lashed out at the two fallen guards, who both managed to evade the rahi’s strikes. Angered, the sand Tarakava let out a bellow, and a second, smaller sand Tarakava emerged nearby, rolling forwards on its tread-legs to join the fight. Prioritising the loot over the soldier’s lives, Smoke Monster dashed in to snatch the bag with the kolhii ball in it, then shouted for the Matoran to mount their Ussals and retreat.

Unfortunately, the Ussals proved too slow to outrun the large Tarakava, and two of the guards were unceremoniously swatted from their saddles as they fled. The smaller Tarakava circled around to cut in front of the retreating Matoran, forcing Smoke Monster to charge it head-on. The resulting collision sent Matoran, Ussal, and Tarakava tumbling to the ground together in a chaotic tangle of flailing limbs.

Smoke Monster recovered first, burying his weapon in the neck of the fallen rahi. But behind him, the battle against the larger beast still raged…

-Daenerys-

Daenerys

Daenerys, mounted on her Gukko, and followed by ten soldiers on foot, had been exploring Mount Ihu for a good hour before they finally came across a series of deep furrows in the snow – the tracks of something big, and heavy.

"Five of you stay here. The rest of you follow me, we're going to see the creature that made these tracks. If we're not back by sunset you five return to the Koro.” To the troops still accompanying her, she added, “"We are to observe these creatures only. If we find one dead then that is the only time I would allow us to break cover."

With that, she set forth, intending to sneak up on the mystery creatures. Of course, sneaking was rather difficult when you were riding a gigantic hummingbird, and by the time she could see the creatures – a column of 50 hunched, brownish beings trudging up the slope, accompanied by several dozen smaller beings – all of them were looking right at her.

She hissed an order for her troops to engage in a defensive formation, and landed to join them. As she did, a half-dozen of the small creatures broke off from the main group, and began to approach the Ko-Matoran. They were small, roughly two-thirds the size of a Matoran, and held small hammers in their tiny hands. One of Daenerys’ hands shifted to her sword hilt, while the other kept her crossbow pointed at the nearest of the creatures.

"Hello little one. What are you and your friends doing?"

One of the creatures shuffled a little closer, narrowing its dark green eyes at the group. It let out a hiss, then raised its hammer threateningly.

"Retreat troops we have the information we need!” Daenerys began backing away. Her soldiers didn’t. One of them openly laughed at her. Here they stood: six grown adults, clad in armour, blades in hands, crossbows at the ready... and they were running away from a creature that was barely half their size, armed only with a flimsy hammer?

"Do not defy my orders! This creature may not be dangerous itself but it's bigger friends over there killed those hunters like they were nothing. I rather not have you as piles of Rahi bait."

Clearly reluctant, the soldiers nonetheless acquiesced to their Captain’s commands, and together, the brave warriors of Ko-Koro fled from the lone Pahrak-Va.

End of Part 1.

• Upvote 8

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Episode 3 – Beneath the Surface (Part 2)

-Grav the Scab-

Nahaki, Elittra, Grav

Elittra and Nahaki emerged from the barracks to find Grav waiting for them, a triumphant grin on his malformed face, a strange green axe slung across his back, and a bulging, lumpy sack draped over his shoulder. Wordlessly, he led them to his sparse, spartan home – which mercifully did not possess a creepy murder basement – and began his tale.

"Long story, Le-Wahi," he began, "First, and most important thing: Left with 20 soldiers, came back with 20. Second thing: Le-Wahi's flooded. Whole thing's one big swamp, 'cept the northern parts where it's rockier, and higher up. The swamps, and especially those drier bits I just mentioned, are starting to grow some plant life, some of which I recognized as edible. Nothing edible's fully grown right yet, but given a few years, especially if we were there to encourage its growth and protect it from wildlife, it could be a solid supplement to our current harvest. As far as our own growing operation is concerned, I don't know whether the ground there's suitable for anything we're growing already. You'd have to get a farmer's opinion on that."

He paused, waiting to see if either of the women had any questions.

Casting a wary glance towards Elittra, Nahaki spoke first. "Flooded...? Why would Le-Koro be flooded? That sounds odd... water doesn't just appear."

Elittra, seemingly prioritising her childish, possessive obsession with Nahaki over the importance of Grav’s news, wrapped her arms tightly around Nahaki’s arms and shoulders before commenting to Grav, “Nice axe.”

“May I leave?” Nahaki squirmed, “I wish to investigate Ta-Koro with regards to the disappearances."

"No idea," Grav replied, in regards to Nahaki’s question about the water, “If we were even able to find out, it'd only be by exploring further, and, for reasons I will soon detail, I am quite thoroughly against that plan.” He drew his new axe for a moment, letting the pair admire the strange green steel from which it was wrought, “I guess I'd best get to how I acquired it... Wasn't long after straying north that I figured I'd like to see Le-Koro, waterlogged as it must be. Maybe figure out what happened to flood it, or at least pick it over, find something left behind from before it went up in flames.” He slowly recounted the series of events – from the makeshift rafts, to the deepening water, to his arrival in Le-Koro, and the encounter with the strange creatures.

“You may have already guessed, but if not, let me tell you: Given the quality, composition, and especially the color of this axe: There is no doubt that it was that of the Toa Lewa." He picked up the sack on the table. "Which brings me to this." He grabbed the end, dumping the contents onto the table. Shattered bits of armor, and fragments of what was barely recognisable as the Kanohi Miru. "This, which I found in Le-Koro. Not Mangaia. I think we need to talk to Vakama again."

"Let's go see our old Turaga then.” Elittra decided.

Grav hastily gathered up the fragments into the sack, "Might jog his memory. Try not to get any blood on them. Or vomit." Turning, and with the axe still on his back (he certainly wasn't about to leave it unattended in his absence), he held the door for his comrades to exit, before following them out, across the town, towards Elittra's own abode.

-Guurahk-

Guurahk

Flanked by the two guards that Elittra had provided, Guurahk soon arrived at the mine that Takua was said to have been visiting before his disappearance.

The area around the mine was blackened with fresh ash, with the trees and dwellings in and around the camp scorched to ashen skeletons. The mine itself had fared little better, with the support beams and rock walls both seared with soot. A brief search turned up no sign of bones or bodies in among the wreckage, indicating that any workers who might've still been at the camp at the time of the fire had either escaped... or met with some other fate.

Either way, there was nothing to indicate what might have become of Takua. The ground was covered in strange footprints, which split off in different directions into the trees. “Maybe we should give up and go home?” Of the guards suggests, only half joking.

"Let's try searching the mine first then." Guurahk replied, resisting the urge to slap the coward. Even for a mineshaft built into the side of a semi-active volcano, the walls of the tunnel felt hot. The dirt was scorched black, even vitrified in some places, and the wooden supports had been reduced to little more than charcoal.

As they started to descend, the guard who had jokingly suggested they return to Ta-Koro repeats his suggestion, this time in a far more serious tone.

“We'll look around for a bit in here; enough to make sure there's nothing out of the usual, then go out, although you seem extremely eager to leave quickly... I don't think Elittra would want us to come back empty handed though..."

"I'd rather come back empty handed than not come back at all," the guard whined, wincing as a blackened chunk of the ceiling suddenly broke loose and tumbled to the ground before him. "This whole thing could come crashing down on top of us."  

"Shut up," the other guard hissed back, "If the tunnel does collapse, it'll be because you were making too much noise."

As they delved deeper, the limited sunlight streaming in from behind them was slowly replaced by the dim glow of the sparse, sooty lightstones set into the walls. In the dim distance up ahead, something was glowing. Something that wasn't a lightstone. Guurahk cautiously approached the light source, trying to figure out what it was.

From the heat wavering up towards him, Guurahk realised that the glow could only be lava. But there'd been no eruption, and surely the people of Ta-Koro knew how to avoid digging into lava floes. Which could only mean that something else had melted the rock down there...

"Oh...I'm just gonna back away then...and tell Elittra after we get back..." He cast one final glance towards the molten sludge below, and paused. There was something down there, half-sunken into the puddle of lava. Melted metal, blackened bones, scorched fragments of what had probably once been a Kanohi… this was the corpse of a Matoran. A satchel lay a few feet away from the lava puddle, and Guurahk dashed in to grab it.

The satchel was hot to the touch, blistering his fingertips, and as he’d expected, it was mostly filled with ash. But there was a small section of torn scroll inside, coated in some kind of waxy substance that had seemingly protected it from the heat. "It's probably going to be to difficult for us to actually get the corpse as we are now...we should go back to Elittra with this." The trio ascended back up towards the surface, and once they were out in the sunlight, Guurahk decided to read the strange page:

-fought constantly. But such is the way of balance – light requires dark, and good begets evil. But this balance was threatened when Makuta cast his sibling into a deep slumber, freeing himself to torment the Matoran for centuries. However, Makuta cannot protect the island alone, and the stars foretell the arrival of six champions, the Toa, who are fated to reawaken Mata Nui, allowing the Two Brothers to reconcile their differences in one final confrontation, one that will usher in a new age of-

He frowned. Elittra was definitely going to want to see this.

-Nahaki-

Elittra, Grav, Nahaki, Vakama (until death)

Deep down, Nahaki had been hoping that she’d never have to enter this house again. But unless she wanted to end up in the basement in Vakama’s place, she had no choice. "I will do as you ask, Queen Elittra." As soon as Elittra opened the front door, Nahaki hurried inside, wanting to put as much distance between herself and Elittra as possible.

"Grav, could you wait in the cellar?” Elittra cooed, closing the front door behind her, “I need to speak to Nahaki... Privately."

"What is it, Queen Elittra?" Behind her, Grav descended into the basement, leaving Nahaki alone with Elittra and her own growing nervousness.

"You've been ignoring me, dear Nahaki. Shrugging me off. Refusing me." Elittra hissed, grabbing Nahaki’s wrists, "You don't get to do that to me, Nahaki. You don't get to hurt me like that."

"Understood, Queen Elittra," Nahaki stuttered. "W-what is my punishment, my queen?"

"My Queen... I like the way it sounds, coming from you." Elittra pulled one of Nahaki’s hands to the knife sheathed at her hip, "When we get down there... we're going to speak with Vakama. And once he's told us everything he knows... I'll have no more use for him. A stab to the throat should suffice to end his suffering quickly... and you will be the one to grant him his mercy."

She planted a quick kiss on Nahaki’s cheek before drawing back, "Once we're finished with Vakama, I'll need you to... remain in the village for awhile. Our investigation will continue, of course, and there are still other issues that I must speak to you about."

As soon as Elittra released her, Nahaki hurried down the stairs. The sight that greeted her at the bottom of the stairs was a familiar one – blood and vomit on the floor, Vakama still chained to the wall, Kuan’s corpse still on the floor. But the Kohlii ball was conspicuously absent.

"Queen Elittra… either you have done something with the Kohlii Ball or someone has broken into your cellar." She made her way over to the mangled remains of the ex-Turaga. "Vakama, there's something we need to talk about."

"Ask him about the kohlii ball.” Elittra’s voice was chillingly calm. "Someone must have broken in."

"Grav has something to show you, and...” Nahaki hesitated, “…what happened to the Kohlii Ball? Did someone break in here?"

Grav strode over to the pair, uncermoniously emptying the bag of Lewa pieces onto the ground. “I found these in Le-Koro, plus my new axe. Some are worn, some charred, some pristine. I was wondering if, perhaps, you knew anything about this."

Vakama just laughed. The laugh of a man who knew he was about to die.

“Vakama. Please. Tell me." Nahaki felt a tear rolling down her cheek, "Takua's life and the future of Ta-Koro depends on it." It was a bluff, of course.

When he spoke, Vakama’s voice was little more than a whisper, "Balls... roll." And then he went straight back to laughing, as if he'd just said the funniest thing he's ever heard. In front of Nahaki, the shards of mask and armour that Grav had dumped on the floor were beginning to turn black, scratched and pitted and covered in rust.

"Which way?" Nahaki demanded hoarsely, backing away from the tainted fragments. But then, she saw it: pinned to the wall behind one of Vakama's legs was the missing kolhii ball. As soon as he lifted his weight off of it, it started rolling across the floor of its own accord... towards the stairs.

Nahaki felt an unnatural thrill of anger rush through her, "You could have told us, you doddering, ancient idiot... so why don't we start what we're here for, hmm?" She ripped the mask off of Vakama’s face, flinging it towards the rolling ball, "And now you will be shown mercy. Mercy you deserve on the behalf of Queen Elittra and the Greatness of Ta-Koro; who shall mourn your passing. Your life will end now, by my hand, and my hand alone." She withdrew the knife, plunging it towards Vakama’s chest... only for Grav to wrestle it out of grasp.

Beneath Vakama’s mask, there was… something else… plastered across his face. It looked almost like a second face, fleshy in texture, dark blue in colour.

Elittra frowned at the strange sight, “What do you wear, Turaga?”

"Vakama... I'm sorry." Nahaki whimpered, eyes downcast, "What is that on your face, Vakama? How did it get there?"

Behind them, the rampant Kohlii ball was having difficulty making its way up the stairs, and Grav had wasted no time in striding over to it and swinging his new axe down onto it with all the strength he could muster. The ball shattered easily under the blade, a puff of red-black smoke wafting upwards from the pieces, dissipating as it rose.

"This..." Vakama wheezed, "...is my way of protecting Mata Nui... There are worse things in this world than Makuta. Worse things than even you, Elittra."

Elittra just shrugged. She handed the dropped knife back to Nahaki, than grabbed onto the thing on Vakama’s face, apparently intending to yank it off.

As soon as she started pulling, though, both Vakama and the mask creature started screaming. The creature wasn’t simply sitting on his face, it was attached to it, grafted directly into his flesh. "That... is... something else," Elittra mused, pulling a bit more just to hear them scream again.

"Hold on," Grav forced his body between those of the two Turaga. "Vakama, I can make this much less painful for you. Just tell us what happened with the Toa. Why did I find Lewa's axe, and fragments of his armor and Kanohi, all the way back in Le-Koro, when he was last seen going into Mangaia? And what did you mean last time we were here, when you said that you deceived Destiny? If the knowledge can serve Ta-Koro, then you must tell me."

"Please tell Grav.” Nahaki pleaded, “There's not much you can do to protect Ta-Koro and Mata Nui tied up in somebody's cellar, Vakama. Mata Nui isn't just me or Grav or Elittra, it's Ga-Koro, Po-Koro, Onu-Koro, Ko-Koro too."

"I'm going to die tied up in this cellar," Vakama spat at Nahaki, before turning to Grav, "I don't know why you found Lewa's remains in Le-Wahi. I don't know what happened to any of them after they entered Mangaia. After we lied to them about their purpose, turned the heroes into assassins."

"What do you mean?" Grav prodded. "Were the Toa not sent to destroy Makuta and restore balance?"

"You're not going to die in this cellar," Nahaki picked up Vakama’s mask, and put it back on him, "I might, I'm already sickened with myself."

Vakama laughs, but there's no humour in the sound. Only pain. "Light needs dark. Good needs evil. The Toa were supposed to awaken Mata Nui, not destroy Makuta." His eyes were fixated on the floor, and for the first time, shame was clear on his face.”

"It's time, Nahaki.” Elittra purred. “Do as you promised me. Vakama is done."

"Thank you.” Grav exhaled, raising his axe. "Any last words or wishes?"

"Nahaki will do it," Elittra snapped. "She promised - and he is my prisoner."

Wordlessly, Grav lowered his axe again, stepping a few steps to the side to fix his displeased gaze upon the others in the room.

Vakama narrowed his eyes at Nahaki, whispering, “Don’t make a promise you can’t keep.”

Nahaki stopped before Vakama, hesitant. She was filled with equal parts regret and resentment. In the short time she’d been in Elittra’s company, she’d been transformed from a kind, compassionate person into a savage, spiteful executioner. If Elittra could exert that same influence on everyone else in the village, then Ta-Koro was doomed. And they deserved it, for voting Elittra Turaga in the first place.

"Does he have to die in this cellar?” She asked weakly, “If he is to die, why not give him a final act of compassion? He deserves as much... after what I've already tried to do. I told him he wouldn't die in this cellar.”

"No. It will be down here. Now hurry up - or Grav can perform the execution, and you and I will have a very long chat."

Nahaki took a step closer to Vakama, the knife wavering in her trembling hand. In her heart, she didn’t want to kill Vakama… but she didn’t want to take his place either, and that was surely the fate that awaited her if she defied Elittra.

A sudden, insistent knocking came from upstairs, accompanied by the shout of a messenger, informing them that Guurahk had returned from his search for Takua. A few tense, silent moments passed, and then Nahaki heard the door opening upstairs, and the sound of footsteps as the messenger entered the house. "Hello? Is anyone here?"

Fed up with waiting, Elittra stepped forward and plunged a blade into Vakama’s throat, a hoarse rattling laugh echoing from his torn throat. Nahaki felt sick, watching on as Elittra began shouting up to the messenger, utterly unconcerned by the murder she’d just committed. "We are busy down here! We've heard you and will be there soon. Now get out of my house!"

In all likelihood, the messenger didn’t hear most of what Elittra had said. The moment Vakama died, the ground began to shake. Screams and shouts rang out in the distance. Footsteps, too heavy to be those of Matoran, rumbled in the street above. Something was very wrong outside.

Heedless of the cacophony outside, Elittra pried the creature – which had faded in colour to a dull, ashen grey – off of Vakama’s face, and tried to place it on her own. To her surprise, it resisted, struggling and squirming in an effort to pull away from her grasp. "It's either my face now, or you get a knife too.” Elittra hissed.

"Queen Elittra... do you really want put that thing on your face?” Nahaki forced herself to speak, “It's fleshy... what if's some sort of Matoran-based parasite? We don't even know what it does... you saw how it was not just on his face, but part of it..."

"Nahaki's right. Let me try.” Grav prompted.

Ignoring their protests, Elittra overpowered the feeble mask-thing and shoved it against her face, pulling off her mask to give it easier access. As soon as it came into contact with the bare flesh of her face, some unbidden instinct took over, and it stopped fighting, instead settling onto Elittra’s face, moulding itself to fit the contours and angles of her features. Up above, the sounds of terror and combat were beginning to get drowned out by the roar of flames.

Elittra went completely limp, dropping to the floor. The floor, Nahaki noticed, that was beginning to grow very hot underfoot. She started inching towards the cellar stairs, "Queen Elittra, Captain Grav, I don't think we should remain here - the ground is... contorting. Captain Grav, I think you need to be present in Ta-Koro - something's clearly happening up there!"

As suddenly as Elittra had fallen, she rose again, placing her mask back on my face. She paused for a moment, head tilted as if she were listening to something, then started walking towards the stairs. Up above, the clamour of battle had come to a sudden stop. The only sound was the heavy footfalls of many… somethings… marching together towards Elittra’s house.

A tremble ran through Nahaki’s body. "Queen Elittra... whatever's up there seems to be coming here."

"I told them to,” she replied. "Let's go up."

Nahaki cast a very confused and nervous glance at Grav, not really knowing what to say or how to process what Elittra just said. Before she ascended the steps, she stopped to look at Vakama's corpse one last time. "May he have already fulfilled his destiny."

She’d failed to keep her promise.

-Unit-

Unit

Curious, Unit ordered the helmsman to continue sailing wide around the Islets, in an effort to determine the destination of the lumber rafts. And then he saw it...

On the far side of the island, wrecked against a craggy section of shore, was a massive ship the likes of which he’d never seen before, made of a strangely dark-coloured wood that he was fairly sure wasn't native to this island. Even half-shattered against the rocks, the ship looked to be colossal, easily big enough to carry a few hundred Matoran.

And further along the beach, the Le-Matoran were using the trees they'd cut down to build two brand new versions of that same immense vessel. Once he’d gotten over his initial shock at the strange sight, Unit told the cartographer to make a quick sketch of one of the strange vessels, before turning his gaze back towards the beach, trying to make out any details he might’ve missed. 

There was one striking, major difference between the new ships and the old. The new ships were being built for battle. They had battering rams integrated into their bows, and significantly thicker hulls. Beside the ships, he could see some of the timber being used to construct what looked suspiciously like catapults.

These were warships, bigger than anything any of the other villages had created. Big enough to bring any individual village to its knees.

Unit rushed to find the captain, “We've accomplished our mission in the Islets. Bring us back to where we first dropped anchor, but closer to the Le-Wahi coast. We'll investigate the flooding briefly, then return home."

The captain nodded, and started bringing the ship around. As he did, Unit prepared a landing part of himself, the cartographer, and the two guards, and started lowering a launch over the side. "If for some reason we're not back within a day, sail home. Report directly to Turaga Rhialtus for a debriefing. Remember that everything you've seen on this expedition is secret information."

His orders delivered, Unit clambered into the boat, and the four Matoran began rowing towards the flooded shoreline. Long-dead trees scraped at the bottom of the boat as they rowed deeper into the swamp, and unseen things slithered past in the murky water. The object he’d seen from the ship turned out to be a strange hook, hewn of gleaming blue metal, embedded in a blackened tree trunk. A second hook was caught on a branch just below the surface, and fragments of blue armour were scattered all around.

He ordered his troops to gather up what they could, and then the group turned the boat around and set off back towards the ship.

It was time to return to Ko-Koro.

-Ehksidian-

Kaathe, Ehksidian, Pahrak

"Wait!" The sound of Ussal legs clattered against the ground, as Ehksidian and Queen drew to a halt in front of Kaathe. "Waaaait!" She clambered off of her mount, "What's going on here? Are you going on an assignment? Are Pahrak and Quin alright?"

"Pahrak is fine. The leech Quin is also fine, though likely feeling inferior. Now I have more important matters to attend to..." he started to push past her.

She sighed. "I assume Quin screwed up explaining the trade deal set up with Ta-Koro...and I also assume you're worried about being...'ruled' by two regions, correct? Because I intend on renegotiating the Ga-Koro situation as soon as possible. We'll be better off. No Ga-Koro, Ta-Koro's interferance will be even less...meaning we'll be more free than before. Meaning that, in time, we'll be totally free. Do what you will, however. There's been murmurings of a bounty being put on the heads of both Quin and Pahrak. Possibly from Ga-Koro...but my gut tells me that's not the case."

"In time?  In time?” Pahrak and his men caught up to the pair, “We've waited long enough!  Why waste any more years serving another village when we can crush our opposition right now?"

"What do you mean crush our opposition?” Ehksidian protested, “This deal has doubled the amount of soldiers we have. Ga-Koro would utterly destroy us if we went to war with them!"

"Trading one evil for another temporary evil is not a victory, diplomat. The fact we are expected to call a foreign ruler Queen shows how ridiculous your deal was. But don't fret. I hold the key to Po-koro's salvation. Soon we won't be forced to rely on anyone for protection.."

A faint chikt, chikt, chikt could be heard in the distance.

"The only reason I agreed to that was because my crab is named Queen. So, in a way, we're all calling her a giant crab because of that...” Ehksidian’s protest faded into a confused frowned, “what is that noise?"

Pahrak and Kaathe glowered at her with matching expressions of disappointment.

"...What happened while I was gone?"

"Actual work was done... You are free to join Pahrak and I as we greet our newest allies."

"Did you figure out what...killed the Nui Jaga?"

Pahrak just laughed at her.

"Yes,” Kaathe answered, “And we also found the corpse of Turaga Onewa, and what he gave his life to protect. And even in death he's found a way to offer Po-koro it's salvation from the enemies it's leaders so readily binds it to."

"We were not strong enough to stand on our own. Not yet. That's why." Ehksidian narrowed her eyes at him, "And what, exactly, did he give his life to protect?"

The arrival of a flustered guard prevented Kaathe from replying. "Kaathe, there you are! Those... things you warned me about... they're almost at the gate!"

"Good. Thank you for informing me scout. I want you to spread the word throughout Po-koro that it's civilians should stay indoors until otherwise informed." The Scout continued his casual walk towards the front gate, hands in his vest pockets.

"Haven't you been listening, Ehksidian?  We are strong enough now."

Kaathe stopped before the gates, where a little over twenty of the large creatures, interspersed with a few dozen of the smaller ones, were lined up. "I want you to stand back with the General and Diplomat." Kaathe told the guards, before jabbing his finger towards a small, buzzard-like rahi circling above. Whatever he’d been expecting… it didn’t work. A single creature stepped forward, sending a pitiful blast of frost searing skywards... which dissipated before it could reach the fortunate bird.

Sighing, Kaathe turned to the crowd, "Say hello to our new army. I'm still trying to get a hang of controlling them properly, but even with such a lack of finesse, they make up for it in sheer numbers and might. Now tell me again why our Turaga and Diplomat sold Po-koro to Ta-koro and it's eccentric Turaga?"

"Because we needed protection!" Quin stalked closer to Kaathe, “"Po-Koro was weak. We were at the mercy of Ga-Koro. And I wanted to keep this region standing for however long I could. So I made a deal with Ta-Koro. One that benefits us much more than it does them."

"Protection from what? We were in no immediate danger, now we will inevitbly upset Ga-koro by this little deal you made, and we will live under the fear of Ga-koro poisoning us, which such fear will be alleviated by Ta-koro purifying our water... But what if Ta-koro just decided they are done supporting Po-koro, and send us unpurified water? We'd be none the wiser and our population would be dead." Kaathe stared his Turaga right in the eyes, “So instead of freeing Po-koro... You've simply put us at the mercy of another Koro, yet if Ta-koro does just decided to kill us off... they won't be to blame, as it would fall on Ga-koro.”

His voice raised to a shout, “Po-koro isn't weak... it's leadership is. You were so eager to find protection from the imaginary monsters that you simply lead yourself into the clutches of an even greater monster. You couldn't even arrange a deal that made us equals! Instead you gave Po-koro over to a self-proclaimed Queen... For what? A few extra soldiers? A bit of armor and weapons? These soldiers just barely make our army of equal numbers with the other Koros. You've brought Po-koro nothing. Our situation is exactly the same, except we now have a teeny bit more manpower... Though at least you don't deny you sold Po-koro and it's people to Ta-koro!"

Kaathe’s intention had clearly been to incite the anger of the growing crowd of civilians, but he needn’t have bothered. Hearing Quin call Po-Koro weak had been enough to draw the ire of most of them, and hearing him admit to the ridiculous deal with Ta-Koro had been enough to persuade the rest. Grumbles of discontent ran through the crowd, accompanied by angry shouts, waving fists, and the throwing of both insults and rocks.

The Ta-Koro guards with the group clutched their weapons nervously, preparing to defend themselves from the very people they’d been sent to protect.

And then, to Ehksidian’s horror, twelve cloaked figures slipped out of the crowd, knives in hand, and rushed towards Pahrak and Quin. Kaathe had provided the perfect distraction for the assassins to launch their attack. Quin managed to fend off his opponent with his spear, but Pahrak was knocked to the ground by his attacker.

Determined to get to the bottom of what was going on, Ehksidian flung herself at the nearest of the assassins, tackling them to the dirt. The two grappled, swiping at each other with fists and knife. As she fought, Ehksidian saw flashes of white in the periphery of her vision, as Kaathe’s creatures joined in the battle. She felt waves of intense cold radiate from nearby, the sounds of breaking metal, and the crunching of bones. By the time she managed to get the assassin in a headlock and knock them out, the battle was over. Pahrak and Quin still stood, but the same could not be said of the assassins. Kaathe’s creatures were already beginning to eat some of the corpses.

"Now that's strength I can get behind." Pahrak grinned.

"I agree General,” Kaathe yanked his dagger out of an assassin’s skull, “This served as a fine example of the Kohrak's abilities, and this was only eight of them. Forty-two more Kohrak wait outside Po-koro and down below. That's not even including the smaller variants."

"Kaathe...what are those....beasts?" there was fear in Quin’s voice.

"This is my army. This is what will lead Po-koro to its independence. This is the strength that Po-koro required." He took a few steady, menacing steps towards his Turaga, “As I told you, while you were off selling Po-koro, I and it's general were busy. I had to risk life and limb to obtain the means to control this army... I should not be alive right now. Yet I did not allow the risk to my own life to stop me from obtaining this, and I was rewarded with what you see now. Risks must be taken for progress to be made."

"What were they doing when you found them?"

"Why do you care? They were trying to retrieve something that Turaga Onewa had stolen, which was behind a group of Nui-jaga. I believe you know how that turned out for the Nui-jaga."

"And what did Turaga Onewa....steal?"

"That is none of your business." Kaathe pulled back the hood of one of the fallen assassins, revealing the red-hued armour of a Ta-Matoran. "Perhaps you should be more concerned about who sought your and the general's heads?"

Ehksidian did the same with the assassin she’d incapacitated. Under his cloak, the unconscious being proved to be a Ko-Matoran. And the others, many of whom were now in the process of being eaten, bore the colours of other villages. These assassins hadn’t been sent from another village… they’d been hired from within the criminal elements of Po-Koro itself.

"You seemed to know of this in advance, though our Turaga stated you were still in Ta-koro when he arrived.” Kaathe rounded on Ehksidian, “How did you learn such an attack was a possibility? And perhaps the bigger question is why would they only target the Turaga and General? Truly perplexing."

“I stayed behind for a bit in Ta-Koro. I had to make sure our hired guards were safe upon my return, and learned of the plot then and there. I came here as soon as that happened.” She held her captive assassin close, not wanting one of the creatures to mistake him for a meal, “Perhaps we should've kept more than one alive, for interrogation purposes."

"How did you learn about it exactly? I mean plots to kill figureheads aren't exactly talked bout casually in the streets. Normally the type of conversation you have to be looking for." As he spoke, most of the creatures returned to the swarm outside the village, although one remained at his side.

"Sometimes you need to get your hands a touch dirty to keep everyone safe."

"So what is your plan now, Kaathe?” Quin interjected, “Do you wish to execute me? Set one of those rabid beasts upon me?"

"Listen to yourself you paranoid fool." Kaathe hissed, “If I wanted you dead, why would I stop the assassins? Why would I not have one of my Kohrak attack you during the chaos and confusion? Why wouldn't I just stab you in the Jugular like I did two of the assassin's? If I wanted you dead Quin, I've had many chances."

He turned away from the group, fixing his gaze on the horizon, "I do not approve of what you've done Turaga, and from the looks of it neither do the people. However no one is without redemption, and ultimately it will be the people who decide your fate, as a leader is nothing without their people." There was a pause as kaathe let this information sink in "Though perhaps instead we can all work together for the betterment of Po-koro, and work towards it's independance? The four of us need not be at each other's throats, as it is evident we all want the same thing."

Kaathe gestured towards the Ta-Koroan Guards "I think having them return to Ta-koro would be best right now Turaga. Our people are in a sensitive situation, and having foreign guards in their Koro is not what they need as of right now."

-Daenerys-

Daenerys, Rhialtus (until exit)

The Captain of Ko-Koro stormed back into the Sanctum, shouting at the guards she’d brought with her to Mount Ihu. "You five should be ashamed of yourselves!" She slammed the door in frustration, “Those idiots need to work on there listening skills."

"Dany, what's wrong?" Rhialtus asked, wrapping her arms around her wife in a hug.

"I found them. I found the creatures. I ordered my men to retreat because one of there smaller counterparts aproached us and I didn't want to fight there whole horde. You want to know what they did they disobeyed me. One even laugh at my order. The idiots, they thing every solution is fighting. Knowing when to retreat is just as important as when to fight."

She gathered up some paper, and began drawing a rough sketch of the creatures she’d seen, "The big ones I'm guessing killed the hunters and made the prints in the snow. The smaller ones I'm guessing are either a sub-species or there young. The small ones seem to be very curious creatures compared to the big ones."

"Oh dear," Rhialtus said softly, staring at the images. "Oh my."

"Its going to be okay Rhi-Rhi. Its going to be okay." She snapped an order for one of the guards inside to gather up the remains of the dead hunters, and bring it to the courtyard. "Now I have to teach those idiots a lesson. I'll be back soon."

Daenerys brought the five disobedient soldiers to the courtyard, where the corpses were waiting for them, covered by a tarp. "So, you five have the audacity to challenge my orders. Did it ever cross your minds that I might know more about the situation than you think. Well I show you what would of happen to you five if you engaged those creatures."

She yanked back the tarp, revealing the mangled remains. "Still think you could of taken them? I want you five to clean the interior Military station untell it is spotless. If you are going to defy me like a child I will punish you like a child."

End of Episode 3

- Ta-Koro and Po-Koro both have Bohrok under their command.

- Vakama is dead, meaning Whenua is the only Matoran left alive who knows the full truth of what happened to the Toa.

- Tensions are growing both within, and between the Koros. At this rate, I fully expect someone to be at war by Episode 5.

Episode 4 Begins Now!

• Upvote 8

SPECIAL VARIABLES

As if angered by the enslaving of their fellow Bohrok, small swarms of Bohrok Va are carrying out acts of sabotage against the Koros.

Ta-Koro - Gahlok Va swam into the docks near Ta-Koro, sinking several ships, including one of Ta-Koro's military vessels. 

Ga-Koro - More Gahlok Va attempted to repeat this tactic in Ga-Koro, only to be abruptly dragged underwater by an unknown green creature. Tuyet later took credit for the actions of the mysterious saviour. 

Onu-Koro - A squad of Pahrak Va broke the supports in a mine tunnel, resulting in a collapse that killed a number of miners, as well as four guards.  

Po-Koro - Nuhvok Va collapsed a statue outside the village, maiming several civilians. Given the visual similarity between the Nuhvok, and Kaathe's Kohrak, this incident has compounded the distrust and uncertainty among the populace. 

Ko-Koro - The Pahrak Va that Daenerys and co. encountered on the slopes on Mount Ihu triggered an avalanche that blocked off a mountain pass near the village. (Travel time to or from Ko-Koro by land now takes 12 hours longer for the rest of this episode. Travel by boat is unaffected.)

• Upvote 3

Onu-Koro, PLEASE tell me your secret is that you have Nuparu, Onepu, and Taipu working on a "secret project".

i can confirm that it is.
I'm not inclined to trust you. I didn't think anyone called Queen could make something worse than "Bohemian Rhapsody" but "the entire state of Ta-Koro's existence" is sounding more horrible than that song.

Onu-Koro, PLEASE tell me your secret is that you have Nuparu, Onepu, and Taipu working on a "secret project".

i can confirm that it is.
I'm not inclined to trust you. I didn't think anyone called Queen could make something worse than "Bohemian Rhapsody" but "the entire state of Ta-Koro's existence" is sounding more horrible than that song.

i can understand saying bohemian rhapsody is overrated

i can forgive people not liking it too much

but sir, you have literally no taste.

• Upvote 5

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

Bohemian Rhapsody is a musical masterpiece. You don't deserve to have ears

luxS5Mb.png

Please come and cut them off, then I won't have to hear any more inane Ta-Koronan drivel.

If we meet in-game, you will be lucky to make it out missing only your ears

luxS5Mb.png

Bohemian Rhapsody is a musical masterpiece. You don't deserve to have ears

luxS5Mb.png

Please come and cut them off, then I won't have to hear any more inane Ta-Koronan drivel.

If we meet in-game, you will be lucky to make it out missing only your ears

luxS5Mb.png

A very strong "if" indeed. You wouldn't make it halfway across the first Ga-Koro bridge.

Years from now the future Generations of Mata-nui will look to their elders for explanations on the sad state of their island, and their elders will say "The blood soaked the land not in the name of resources, but in the name of music."

• Upvote 6

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

Years from now the future Generations of Mata-nui will look to their elders for explanations on the sad state of their island, and their elders will say "The blood soaked the land not in the name of resources, but in the name of music."

Once again proving the slimy nature of Ga-Koronans and the utterly petty nature of Ta-Koronans

Once again proving the slimy nature of Ga-Koronans and the utterly petty nature of Ta-Koronans

at least ta-koroans have a grasp on musical aesthetics.

• Upvote 1

1Ydp0mg.jpg

They should get a grip on reality and some semblance of sanity first.

i'd say they have a stronger grip on reality than you right now.

• Upvote 1

1Ydp0mg.jpg

i'd say they have a stronger grip on reality than you right now.
And stronger than that is the grip they have on your puny region.

The people of Po-Koro assemble on their southern border, led by Kaathe and his army of Kohrak. Suddenly, they all break out into a synchronized dance routine.

"So you think you can work us, and poison our rye!

So you think you can enslave us, and leave us to die!

Ohhh, Terror! Don't do this to me, Terror!

Just gotta get out, just gotta get right out of here!"

Following this is a crushing rout of the Ga-Koronan forces at the hands of Po-Koro.

E: Hey Pahrak, go away

luxS5Mb.png

Edited by The Scab of Ta-Koro
  • Upvote 7