Did Vakama Expose Ahkmou?

When Vakama told the story of Metru Nui to the matoran and toa nuva, and Ahkmou was outed as a traitor, did the matoran not just then and there go like "uhh yeah can you go somewhere else and be like, exiled or something?" or what? Because at that point I think the matoran would have figured that his constant betrayal of the matoran would have warranted exile, or worse, but I don't recall anything happening to him.

• Upvote 1

Knock Knock

Who's there

Hoff

Hoff who

Yes

I think that most Matoran are incredibly good-natured, and forgave Ahkmou of his wrongdoings. For example, when it was discovered that he was behind the poisoned Koli balls, the matoran forgave him eventually and let him integrate into the Po-Matoran society - giving him the upgrade and allowing him to resume work as a shopkeeper in Po-Wahi.

Surely they Matoran will consider his actions as part of a past life that none of them can remember. And by the time the Turaga told them of Metru Nui, they'd already forgiven him for the Koli ball poisoning - so they know that it fits in with Ahkmou's nature. Yet they still try to accept him in their society, and hope for the best for the Po-Matoran.

The Matoran truly embody higher ideals than most humans, who would have a much harder time forgiving a traitor in their midst.

It seems from the Bionicle Wiki site that Ahkmou eventually served as "turaga" under Makuta's reign, and then evacuated like everyone else after the MU was destroyed, and is attempting to integrate into the Agori/Glatorian society. 

No word yet on if the Matoran will do anything to him for his final act of traitorousness. At the same time, perhaps it was better that Metru Nui was headed by a matoran rather than a more formidable minion of Teridax. All Ahkmou really seemed to regulate (according to the Wiki) was the types of statues that were made.

Maybe the AskGreg archives have the answer.

Edited by Takametru007
  • Upvote 2

From Reign of Shadows:

Every Matoran remembered Ahkmou’s crimes on the island of Mata Nui, involving the sale of kodan balls tainted with Makuta’s darkness. Many had heard the tales of his sins on Metru Nui as well, in the weeks before the Great Cataclysm. Although he had largely kept to himself for the past year, no one really trusted him. But Turaga Vakama insisted he not be exiled. “Better to keep a doom viper beside your bed than to let it wander free. At least then, you will know from which direction its strike will come.”

I think the question is why he was forgiven after the sell of infected Kodan Balls. The Turaga probably forgave his actions on Metru Nui because they thought he had lost his memories of them (or perhaps because they didn't think them serious enough to warrant banishment; Ahkmou, did, albeit reluctantly, tell them where to find the Po-Metru Great Disk and he did form the Matoran Nui to help them in the Great Furnace).

We don't know much about Ahkmou's activities in the following 1000 years. At some point, he tried to swindle Matoran by selling them "lucky Ghekula", but Turaga Onewa probably decided that this wasn't serious enough to warrant banishment.

According to BS01, Onewa eventually realized that Ahkmou knew about Metru Nui and sternly told him not to reveal anything. To be honest, I can't find evidence of this in any storyline source; in any case, we don't know the extent of Ahkmou's knowledge (remember, he did lose his memories; what he knew of Metru Nui was revealed to him by Makuta, whose account most likely contained more lies than truth), nor if Onewa realized just how much information Ahkmou possessed (was he aware, for instance, of his actions during the search for the Great Disks? Onewa probably wasn't sure and neither are we, since we don't know whether Makuta told him about it).

Ahkmou's true allegiance became clear only after the sale of the infected Kolhii balls. He disappeared for some time after that ("Gone fishing", apparently), but later chose to return. The real question is why he wasn't banished after this. Maybe, as Vakama said, the Turaga wanted to keep an eye on him, or else Ahkmou managed to convince them that he regretted what he had done and was no longer in league with Makuta (again, it might be true; the fact that he didn't misbehave again until Makuta took over the MU and named him leader of Metru Nui might imply that, after the Kolhii ball sale, he lost contact with the master of shadows for some time).

I don't think there was any reason to banish him after the tales of Metru Nui were told. Some Matoran might have demanded it, but nothing had really changed; the Turaga had remembered his actions in Metru Nui all along and undoubtedly took them into account when deciding not to banish him after the infected Kolhii ball sale; the only difference between before and after the recounting of the tales of Metru Nui was that more people were aware of Ahkmou's treachery.

• Upvote 4

632461607_Bannerdefinitivopiccolo.png.8e4bc632ba965c6eaef9247ce71df1d7.png
My collection of epics: The Sanctum of Writing

From Reign of Shadows:

Every Matoran remembered Ahkmou’s crimes on the island of Mata Nui, involving the sale of kodan balls tainted with Makuta’s darkness. Many had heard the tales of his sins on Metru Nui as well, in the weeks before the Great Cataclysm. Although he had largely kept to himself for the past year, no one really trusted him. But Turaga Vakama insisted he not be exiled. “Better to keep a doom viper beside your bed than to let it wander free. At least then, you will know from which direction its strike will come.”

Ahkmou's true allegiance became clear only after the sale of the infected Kolhii balls. He disappeared for some time after that ("Gone fishing", apparently), but later chose to return. The real question is why he wasn't banished after this. 

Perhaps Onewa allowed him back into the village because he believed Ahkmou might reveal the existence of Metru Nui to the villagers.

Knock Knock

Who's there

Hoff

Hoff who

Yes

From Reign of Shadows:

I think the question is why he was forgiven after the sell of infected Kodan Balls. The Turaga probably forgave his actions on Metru Nui because they thought he had lost his memories of them (or perhaps because they didn't think them serious enough to warrant banishment; Ahkmou, did, albeit reluctantly, tell them where to find the Po-Metru Great Disk and he did form the Matoran Nui to help them in the Great Furnace).

We don't know much about Ahkmou's activities in the following 1000 years. At some point, he tried to swindle Matoran by selling them "lucky Ghekula", but Turaga Onewa probably decided that this wasn't serious enough to warrant banishment.

According to BS01, Onewa eventually realized that Ahkmou knew about Metru Nui and sternly told him not to reveal anything. To be honest, I can't find evidence of this in any storyline source; in any case, we don't know the extent of Ahkmou's knowledge (remember, he did lose his memories; what he knew of Metru Nui was revealed to him by Makuta, whose account most likely contained more lies than truth), nor if Onewa realized just how much information Ahkmou possessed (was he aware, for instance, of his actions during the search for the Great Disks? Onewa probably wasn't sure and neither are we, since we don't know whether Makuta told him about it).

Ahkmou's true allegiance became clear only after the sale of the infected Kolhii balls. He disappeared for some time after that ("Gone fishing", apparently), but later chose to return. The real question is why he wasn't banished after this. Maybe, as Vakama said, the Turaga wanted to keep an eye on him, or else Ahkmou managed to convince them that he regretted what he had done and was no longer in league with Makuta (again, it might be true; the fact that he didn't misbehave again until Makuta took over the MU and named him leader of Metru Nui might imply that, after the Kolhii ball sale, he lost contact with the master of shadows for some time).

I don't think there was any reason to banish him after the tales of Metru Nui were told. Some Matoran might have demanded it, but nothing had really changed; the Turaga had remembered his actions in Metru Nui all along and undoubtedly took them into account when deciding not to banish him after the infected Kolhii ball sale; the only difference between before and after the recounting of the tales of Metru Nui was that more people were aware of Ahkmou's treachery.

Welp, that pretty much answers it, eh? :P

I seem to remember the stuff about Onewa warning Ahkmou not to reveal information about Metru Nui coming from the OGD.

From Reign of Shadows:

Welp, that pretty much answers it, eh? :P

I seem to remember the stuff about Onewa warning Ahkmou not to reveal information about Metru Nui coming from the OGD.

What is the OGD?

Knock Knock

Who's there

Hoff

Hoff who

Yes

According to one of the Greg topics, on Spherus Magna, Ahkmou would most likely try to settle among natives who don't know his past.

And Ahkmou did misbehave a little in the MNOG II era. I mean, 400 widgets for rigging is just ridiculous. Highway robbery!

• Upvote 3

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!