What Happened To Bs01?

Kavu

If I'm not mistaken they're in the middle of a server migration, and hope to have everything back in the next few weeks.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

I made the simple mistake of moving to a new server, but did it during most of the staff's finals week. Whoops D:HS01 is "mostly" restored, if not fully by now. BS01 is much larger, so needs more work.

Edited by Swert

bzpsig2015.png

I made the simple mistake of moving to a new server, but did it during most of the staff's finals week. Whoops D:HS01 is "mostly" restored, if not fully by now. BS01 is much larger, so needs more work.

Do you think it'll take 5 months to return to glory? :P

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

That was a good reference to Bzpower's downtime. but back on topic i did find it annoying that bs01 is partially down since surprisingly i have been needing information on bionicles allot in the last month. I do hope it comeback fully soon and that they will keep us posted.

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

I got in trouble for trying to restore a few pages. Apparently the needed to attach the thingy to the watchamacallit before anyone could actually put in pages.

but back on topic i did find it annoying that bs01 is partially down since surprisingly i have been needing information on bionicles allot in the last month. I do hope it comeback fully soon and that they will keep us posted.

Me too. I dunno why. Probably because I'm trying to figure out what I can and can't do in BZPRPG. :P

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Nikarra - Kaelynn - Ronan - Muir - Donal Aerus - Montague - Kira - KouraLearu - Alteora - Fuacht - Caana Nessen - Merrill

I got in trouble for trying to restore a few pages. Apparently the needed to attach the thingy to the watchamacallit before anyone could actually put in pages.

but back on topic i did find it annoying that bs01 is partially down since surprisingly i have been needing information on bionicles allot in the last month. I do hope it comeback fully soon and that they will keep us posted.

Me too. I dunno why. Probably because I'm trying to figure out what I can and can't do in BZPRPG. :P
If we had to start from scratch, we'd absolutely love to have people edit. However, we actually have the pages on file, they just need to be imported into the wiki (and the same with images). Having "just for now" pages creates a bit of confusion (because people assume the page still needs to be restored, which isn't the case) and the imported pages actually can't be imported OVER the "just in case" pages, so that just creates more unnecessary work for all involved. It's a lot more efficient and streamlined to just import the pages directly.Obviously it's slow pickings for BS01, because there was just so much information. We're speeding up the process by only importing the most recent revision(s) instead of the whole kit and kaboodle (except for Teridax, which I insisted be treated with a modicum of preference, because it's an awesome page), so a lot of edits will be lost; however, your total edit count will remain the same, in your preferences. We'll work on maybe restoring old edits at a later date, but page recovery is the priority right now.HS01, on the other hand, has everything :3. Except for news posts, but I'll get to that at some point. Those aren't really as important, anyway. If there are any suggestions for that (or things that might have slipped under the radar), let us know.In the meantime (because I have none of the files :<) I've been working on researching some cool stuff that we can implement on the wikis. One of my main ideas is to install some kind of tabber extension, or have somebody else utilize the existing software to mimic the tabber function. Ideally, I would have loved to use this years ago, but better late than never; we can use it on templates that have, say, different forms that haven't actually merited the need of another template section. Tahu Stars is my prime example (switch back and forth between his Stars form and his original Mata form, and maybe the golden armor one too), but there are plenty of places that it would be useful.

Uh, guys, BS01 isn't the only Bionicle wiki. BTW, BS01 take as much times as you want. We can live.

Lol, three guesses as to which one you prefer.People seem to like us for some unfathomable reason, so we'll do our best not to disappoint. It'll take a few more weeks to get everything settled, more likely than not, but we hope that you guys can find stuff you need in the meantime.If anybody really needs some information, the staff in general are pretty knowledgeable when it comes to the source material (it helps having to have written a lot of it), so if you're dying to know some trivia piece, you can always hit one of us up with a PM or whatever, and we'll see if we can help you out. Edited by Dorek

Uh, guys, BS01 isn't the only Bionicle wiki. BTW, BS01 take as much times as you want. We can live.

But some of the others are a bit inaccurate. I once looked up Malum on one and it stated that he was 'Cheif [sic] of a Vorox'. Not a Vorox tribe. A single Vorox. I got a bit peeved and fixed it immediately. There were also quite a few accuracy faults through the other pages I checked. That said, it did have the translated 'The Crossing', which was nice.I much prefer BS01, since that one seems quite accurate. I look forward to its triumphant return. :) Edited by ZippyWharrgarbl
  • Upvote 1

Memoirs of the Dead entry: The Unknown Turaga, a tale from the late Chronicler Kodan's journal.

Strakk's Best Friend, the story of a confusing yet somehow canon friendship.

Terrible Comics, a collection of comics that are terrible.

If we had to start from scratch, we'd absolutely love to have people edit. However, we actually have the pages on file, they just need to be imported into the wiki (and the same with images). Having "just for now" pages creates a bit of confusion (because people assume the page still needs to be restored, which isn't the case) and the imported pages actually can't be imported OVER the "just in case" pages, so that just creates more unnecessary work for all involved. It's a lot more efficient and streamlined to just import the pages directly.Obviously it's slow pickings for BS01, because there was just so much information. We're speeding up the process by only importing the most recent revision(s) instead of the whole kit and kaboodle (except for Teridax, which I insisted be treated with a modicum of preference, because it's an awesome page), so a lot of edits will be lost; however, your total edit count will remain the same, in your preferences. We'll work on maybe restoring old edits at a later date, but page recovery is the priority right now.HS01, on the other hand, has everything :3. Except for news posts, but I'll get to that at some point. Those aren't really as important, anyway. If there are any suggestions for that (or things that might have slipped under the radar), let us know.In the meantime (because I have none of the files :<) I've been working on researching some cool stuff that we can implement on the wikis. One of my main ideas is to install some kind of tabber extension, or have somebody else utilize the existing software to mimic the tabber function. Ideally, I would have loved to use this years ago, but better late than never; we can use it on templates that have, say, different forms that haven't actually merited the need of another template section. Tahu Stars is my prime example (switch back and forth between his Stars form and his original Mata form, and maybe the golden armor one too), but there are plenty of places that it would be useful.

Lol, three guesses as to which one you prefer.People seem to like us for some unfathomable reason, so we'll do our best not to disappoint. It'll take a few more weeks to get everything settled, more likely than not, but we hope that you guys can find stuff you need in the meantime.If anybody really needs some information, the staff in general are pretty knowledgeable when it comes to the source material (it helps having to have written a lot of it), so if you're dying to know some trivia piece, you can always hit one of us up with a PM or whatever, and we'll see if we can help you out.
I will say that the tabber idea would be wonderful.And I can honestly say that the reason i like Biosector01 so much is compared to other bionicle wikis you guys are the most organized and i want to say serious but i don't think that is the exact word i'm looking for maybe formal something like that. Mind you this is why i like it i can't speak for everyone.There is one thing i think would be nice to add to Biosector01 and Bzpower and that would be the bionicle names and terms. When i say that i mean like for example on biosector when i'm editing something i will get those red lines underneath allot of bionicle related terms like Kanoka, Toa etc and it just annoys me especially when i'm trying to find a word i saw misspelled while reading the actual page. That is what i do allot of editing on is misspelled words or improper grammar. I remember i was fixing a word on the takua page that was misspelled when it was talking about the search for the seventh toa. So yeah i don't know if there is a actual way that can be done but it would be nice. ah no more underlined red bionicle names that would be perfect.

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

If you find yourself needing info, I suggest googling it and going to the cached version. They still work for the most part.

Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, "No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back," it never WOULD have come back.
-- Greg Farshtey

If you find yourself needing info, I suggest googling it and going to the cached version. They still work for the most part.

That, and there're archived versions of all the pages, minus images.

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Nikarra - Kaelynn - Ronan - Muir - Donal Aerus - Montague - Kira - KouraLearu - Alteora - Fuacht - Caana Nessen - Merrill

BS01 is great, and isn't ruined by articles with bad spelling, grammar and lack of sense. That's why it's preferred; Bionicle was aimed at kids, and some of them edited other wikis. BS01 has better quality IMO.It's also the wiki tha BZPRPG asks us to use as the 'official' information source.I hope it returns soon.

GT: Jl1223 X <----add me :3

(╯◕_◕)╯

BZPRPG Profiles 2013

Also, there's some restrictions which us importers have to face, which has added onto the time needed considerably. Because the restrictions need some technical skills as well, not everyone can participate in the process which has also caused delays.We are doing our best, however. :) ~ Bioran

TNW-Promo.png

whatsnew-tech.jpgwhatsnew-smsg.jpg

Also, there's some restrictions which us importers have to face, which has added onto the time needed considerably. Because the restrictions need some technical skills as well, not everyone can participate in the process which has also caused delays.We are doing our best, however. :)~ Bioran

Long time no see Bioran, glad you know you have not been transported to another reality. But now that you mention the technical skill part that does make a lot more sense.But seriously it's nice to see ya.

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

That was a good reference to Bzpower's downtime. but back on topic i did find it annoying that bs01 is partially down since surprisingly i have been needing information on bionicles allot in the last month. I do hope it comeback fully soon and that they will keep us posted.
Yeah, you don't realize how much you use something until it's gone.I've needed BS01 a lot lately too. Come back soon!- 55555

I believe most of the images were saved, as were most userpages, but all user talk pages and many coding templates were lost.Other than that, the server should be pretty much intact.

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012

As for the tabber idea, once you implement it properly, it works really nice. We managed to use it in our old CIRCLE Wiki and loved it.The only downside is that it's a JavaScript extension so it gets a little weird. You have to edit one of the Wiki's core files to allow for it or something and I don't remember how we did that. :P

zT0o5WQ.pngKohila zVZHXI3.pngKohilaice vHGufqp.pngKohi#0612

vasterror_splash.png

Lol, three guesses as to which one you prefer.People seem to like us for some unfathomable reason, so we'll do our best not to disappoint. It'll take a few more weeks to get everything settled, more likely than not, but we hope that you guys can find stuff you need in the meantime.If anybody really needs some information, the staff in general are pretty knowledgeable when it comes to the source material (it helps having to have written a lot of it), so if you're dying to know some trivia piece, you can always hit one of us up with a PM or whatever, and we'll see if we can help you out.
I will say that the tabber idea would be wonderful.And I can honestly say that the reason i like Biosector01 so much is compared to other bionicle wikis you guys are the most organized and i want to say serious but i don't think that is the exact word i'm looking for maybe formal something like that. Mind you this is why i like it i can't speak for everyone.There is one thing i think would be nice to add to Biosector01 and Bzpower and that would be the bionicle names and terms. When i say that i mean like for example on biosector when i'm editing something i will get those red lines underneath allot of bionicle related terms like Kanoka, Toa etc and it just annoys me especially when i'm trying to find a word i saw misspelled while reading the actual page. That is what i do allot of editing on is misspelled words or improper grammar. I remember i was fixing a word on the takua page that was misspelled when it was talking about the search for the seventh toa. So yeah i don't know if there is a actual way that can be done but it would be nice. ah no more underlined red bionicle names that would be perfect.
Those red underlines are done by the browser, not BS01's textarea. You would have to add them to your dictionary, or use something that did it for you. It doesn't seem like a priority though.

As for the tabber idea, once you implement it properly, it works really nice. We managed to use it in our old CIRCLE Wiki and loved it.The only downside is that it's a JavaScript extension so it gets a little weird. You have to edit one of the Wiki's core files to allow for it or something and I don't remember how we did that. :P

Haha, there goes my asking for help. We're trying to figure out how to do it (or, as you put it, what to access), so it might take a while, but I'd love to have it.

Haha, there goes my asking for help. We're trying to figure out how to do it (or, as you put it, what to access), so it might take a while, but I'd love to have it.
Does the Wiki have a Localsettings.php file?The page that we used for help on this can be found Here, but I don't know how much that'll help you since BS01 is a VPS-hosted Wiki and not one hosted by the Wikia services.

zT0o5WQ.pngKohila zVZHXI3.pngKohilaice vHGufqp.pngKohi#0612

vasterror_splash.png

Like we need more reasons? XP.Yeah, the tabber extension itself would be simpler, but it generally survives better on wikia. As mentioned on that talkpage, we can substitute with Jquery, buuuut... we don't have many people that can really do that. Hence the issue =P. Like I said, it's not a priority, it's just something I'd like to work out.

Since it's almost New Year's and it's pretty obvious we won't be done by the "end of December", I figure I should shed some light on the backup and restore process so far?From what I understand it's Cholie, Bionicleman and I are either importing all the backed up pages or re-uploading image files. I can't speak for the latter, since Bman is involved with that, but for page importing what Chols and I are finding is that we have reached the point where the backup files are starting to overlap each other, often several times in fact. This means quite a lot of pages (definitely the Characters section) have been imported already and are available for browsing.The main problem we're facing is the lack of parent pages. This means it's a pain to navigate the site right now, and it's a little bit of a challenge for us to figure out what haven't been added back to the site. If any of you are making good use of the site right now, perhaps you could give us some ideas of what areas are still by and large missing, so we can focus our attention on those? Just post them here.In terms of technicalities, we are facing two challenges which are not hard to overcome, but together makes for a very tedious process: 1) Some of the backup files, which are in XML format, are some hundreds of MBs in size, and 2) the upload limit right now is set to something ridiculously small, like 3MB, and for some reason the server starts timing out (aka unsuccessful import) by around 1.5MB. This means we have to go around manually splitting the XML files into very small chucks, and with some files being like a crazy 300MB, it has taken quite a while. Combined with finals, holidays and exam prep (for me) this process has also been prolonged further.But like I said, these are not difficult challenges to overcome. It's just a matter of finding some free time to dedicate to the process, and I think I can say confidently that we hope to have everything back up very soon. :)As for Tabber, it's rather silly making use of jQuery when one can customize MediaWiki directly. What's up with the scare around installing extensions and touching LocalSettings.php? :P It's even easier and foolproof than handling WordPress installations, (I can vouch for this having handled both WP and MW) and PHP files aren't taboos or touch-sensitive bombs. ~ Bioran

Edited by Bioran23

TNW-Promo.png

whatsnew-tech.jpgwhatsnew-smsg.jpg

Since it's almost New Year's and it's pretty obvious we won't be done by the "end of December", I figure I should shed some light on the backup and restore process so far?

Shhhh. I thought the trick was to keep telling them that we're close to being done at any given point, no?But seriously, yeah, what he said. It was never going to be perfect (despite expectations for such) but everybody is doing what they can.

As for Tabber, it's rather silly making use of jQuery when one can customize MediaWiki directly. What's up with the scare around installing extensions and touching LocalSettings.php? :P It's even easier and foolproof than handling WordPress installations, (I can vouch for this having handled both WP and MW) and PHP files aren't taboos or touch-sensitive bombs.~ Bioran

If you want to install it, be my guest. When given the two options, SK said it would be easier to use jquery, and Swert said the security risk apparently posed by the mediawiki extension was not to his liking. If you find it both easier and safer to use mediawiki, I would absolutely love for you to help us out with it.Obviously once you're done importing whatever. That takes priority XP.

the search bar was a bit glichy last i checkedyou killed mr.avohkii christmas tree :( :none: :none:spherus magna article is goneno page for matoran in genralall pictures are dead

Edited by gdfgdfgdfice

"Go beyond the impossible, and kick reason to the curb! That's how Team Gurren rolls!"

BZPRPG PROFILES

Exo-Force RPG Profiles

Whaa? I don't think any of you understand how Mediawiki works. jQuery is one way to do it (though it would be more efficient with pure Javascript, which wouldn't be much harder at all and not much more to write). Modifying the Mediawiki core files directly is more difficult and not trustworthy. The only real foolproof and editable files are LocalSettings.php and the template files, but not much beyond those are really easy to modify.And either way, there's no way I can make a tabber by modifying a Mediawiki file. All the Mediawiki core is for is communication with the database, loading of templates, and session handling (which is in part handled by the database as well. The rest is all user input, which is stored in the database.So there is nothing I can do but use jQuery or Javascript. We'll see how it goes, it's simple either way.-SK

Edited by Shadow Kurahk

OKAY GUYS, THIS IS IMPORTANTSo we're finishing up the exported files, and as we have probably noted, they're incomplete due to time constraints. We were planning to use web caches to finish the job, but now it seems that the web caches available during the crash have updated since, and we're having trouble finding caches for the pages left.Basically, if anyone wants to help, here's what you can do: Take a look at this list and then search the page name on Google or Bing (add "site:biosector01.com" to your search bar) and see if you can uncover any caches for the missing pages. The staff will also be searching, but the task is rather daunting.When you find a page, please PM me a link to the cahce. Please do not search for missing character pages, I have all of them archived and ready to upload today.We don't expect a lot of pages to be found, as we're having trouble ourselves, but there are some that can be found. If anyone would like to help, we would greatly appreciate it.

Edited by Wolven

cholslegofursig.png

Latest MOC:

Ol' Dusty

For pages that can't be found in search engine caches, the Wayback Machine seems to have snapshots of BS01 around December 2010. Old, but for some pages probably better than starting over from scratch.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42