The Rebuilding

So here's a question that's been on my mind. Story goes that after the Bohrok-Kal, the Turaga impart the knowledge of rebuilding the matoran to counter the effects of the sphere's Makuta put them into during the events of the Great Cataclysm. Here's a question though, why did they wait 1000 years to do so? We find out in the book "time trap" that Makuta agreed to give the Matoran one year of peace, why didn't the Turaga use the time then to rebuild the Matoran? Why wait for 1000 years til when the Toa show up, and after a whole bunch of dangers show up? It's been stated that the Rahaga taught the Turaga how to do it, so they had the knowledge since day one. Aside from the obvious reason I mean *coughsellmoretoyscough*

Anyways, what do you guys think? :)

• Upvote 1

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

Well, for starters, they would have needed time to set up camp and have a place to live first. The villages weren't just waiting for them when they got to the island. They would have used that year to build their new homes and prepare for what was to come, and there wouldn't have been enough time or material to rebuild the Matoran in the first place. It's never explicitly stated, but we can infer that they used parts from destroyed Bohrok to rebuild themselves. And since those weren't around until later....

That's just my take on it.

• Upvote 3

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

It's never explicitly stated, but we can infer that they used parts from destroyed Bohrok to rebuild themselves. And since those weren't around until later....

That's just my take on it.

Gracious its bad enough that Nuparu used Bohrok to make the Boxors, but the idea of them using Bohrok to rebuild themselves, given what we know of the Bohrok-Matoran connection... yikes!  :smilejala:  :smiletahnok:

• Upvote 1

Formerly Iron_Man5

I can only echo The 1st Shadow. They spent that one year of peace establishing their new lives on Mata Nui, and in addition to that they had no materials with which to rebuild themselves with. Hunting Rahi with the goal of harvesting their bodies in order to graft their bits and pieces onto themselves seems too cruel and uncharacteristic of the Matoran, meaning they needed to wait until the Bohrok swarm provided the necessary resources. 

:kakama:

• Upvote 1

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

Or there's a chance there were enemies over the 1000 years that were not mentioned that postponed their rebuilding. Possibly anyway. But the first answer makes sense as well. Also if the matoran have organs/ organics then how can they just be taken apart and rebuilt without killing them?

Edited by Queen of makuta
  • Upvote 1

Also if the matoran have organs/ organics then how can they just be taken apart and rebuilt without killing them?

Another of the many things wrong with the rebuilding... shame it will probably never get retconned 

Edited by CommanderKumo

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClo2J14RKmVtcnoJTv7g6PA , Bionicle films coming soon!

Also if the matoran have organs/ organics then how can they just be taken apart and rebuilt without killing them?

Another of the many things wrong with the rebuilding... shame it will probably never get retconned

Actually, there's nothing wrong with it - the rebuilding merely involves replacing the mechanical components, without changing the organic ones. In fact, I think the organic tissue reshapes itself according to the new mechanical structure (for example, new muscle tissue would grow if the limbs were made bigger). If anything, you could compare the rebuilding process to a safer version of surgery in the real world.

• Upvote 3

Actually, there's nothing wrong with it - the rebuilding merely involves replacing the mechanical components, without changing the organic ones. In fact, I think the organic tissue reshapes itself according to the new mechanical structure (for example, new muscle tissue would grow if the limbs were made bigger). If anything, you could compare the rebuilding process to a safer version of surgery in the real world.

Quite true, examples being the Toa rebuilding themselves when they first wake up, the organic tissue just mended itself over the mechanical parts when they put themselves back together.

(fun note, it can mend itself, but it doesn't seem to regenerate completely, Lariska lost an entire arm and had to replace it with a pure mechanical one, no organics. Albeit it seemed to work just as well as her old one) 

• Upvote 3

Formerly Iron_Man5

So here's a question that's been on my mind.

I could be in the wrong here, but I get the feeling that you're not alone by any means. :P

We find out in the book "time trap" that Makuta agreed to give the Matoran one year of peace, why didn't the Turaga use the time then to rebuild the Matoran? Why wait for 1000 years til when the Toa show up, and after a whole bunch of dangers show up? It's been stated that the Rahaga taught the Turaga how to do it, so they had the knowledge since day one. Aside from the obvious reason I mean *coughsellmoretoyscough*

Anyways, what do you guys think? :)

Working with what the others have said, I would agree that the hierarchy of immediate needs during that first year and the practical scarcity of resources would have factored in to the decision to hold off on a major "rebuilding". However, the MNOG and associated online animations make it abundantly clear that the Matoran definitely had significant access to materials that they could process into mechanical components prior to the defeat of the Bohrok (like that insanely complex screeching pulley system in Ta-Koro), so I'd suspect that the former reason holds more weight here.

There's actually a lot to dissect here, so to speak. :) Additionally, the Turaga might have wanted to avoid "rebuilding" the Matoran while they were still in a semi-childlike state, having not yet regained all of there former memories. I always thought that the reason for why the Legend of Mata Nui seemed so simple and juvenile to us stemmed from the inability of the Matoran to get behind a more complex, serious story when they first emerged from the spheres that had taken away their stature and memories in the first place. Maybe the Turaga thought that it would be inhumane to "rebuild" the Matoran without their full consent?

Regardless of how quickly it was mentioned, and then lampshaded in canon, the whole process always bothered me in a serious way. I'd prefer not to think about the actual visceral details of it too much, especially if the Bohrok parts replaced some of their organics as well as their former mechanical parts. I meamn, I can't really understand how else they would do it.

Edited by Azani

Find (digital) me under the name Azani on YouTube, Eurobricks, Discord, the BioMedia Project and the TTV Message Boards.

Please check out Project AFTERMAN on Tumblr and Facebook; I'm proud to have worked as their PR Manager and as a writer.

AAZZ.jpg