You can thank chris chan for the original text of the 2001 bionicle we

Fry

I'll be honest, I never expected to see Chris Chan mentioned here... never knew he was a fan of Bionicle though. (For the uninformed, Chris Chan is a rabbit hole you really don't want to go down in.) 

• Upvote 1

In the time before time, the Great Spirit descended from the heavens, carrying with him the ones called the Matoran, to this island paradise. We were separate and without purpose, so the great spirit blessed us with the Three Virtues: Unity, Duty and Destiny. We embraced these gifts and in gratitude named our home Mata Nui, after the great spirit himself.

I'll be honest, I never expected to see Chris Chan mentioned here... never knew he was a fan of Bionicle though. (For the uninformed, Chris Chan is a rabbit hole you really don't want to go down in.) 

He was. I recall one of his instances of vote-stuffing for a contest explicitly mentions spreading it across Bionicle fansites. It makes me wonder if that ever reached BZPower.

And I agree. A place like BZP is the absolute last place I'd expect to see a mention of Chris Chan. So I won't say any more.

• Upvote 2

Oh wow, I think... I think I recognize this site. I bet I stumbled upon it shortly after I got into Bionicle in 2004, back when I was researching all the stuff I missed in the first three years.

• Upvote 1

I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones. But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole. And the Darkness can not stand before me.

i'm not sure what the title's trying to say...

is this a backup-of-sorts of the original site's content?
did chris-chan write the original bionicle site?
is chris-chan the greg farshtey we needed?

• Upvote 3

~Bionicle Online Games Guru~
Current Bionicle Sets: 232/250
2001: 23/24 2002: 20/21 2003: 22/22 2004: 22/22 2005: 23/23
2006: 16/22 2007: 22/22 2008: 25/27 2009: 26/26 2010: 4/6
2015: 18/18 2016: 11/17

Sorry to crash the party, folks, but this is pretty clearly not the original text of the site. I'm not sure why anyone ever began to think that this was a reliable source, but apparently some people did.

See, this is what the site had for Pohatu's excerpt.

"Pohatu, Toa of Stone, and his people live in the foothills of Mount Ihu, where the great stones are carved as symbols of the Tohunga's faith in the Toa."

For the record, this is Pohatu's actual page text.

"Pohatu is a stone spirit. He is immensely strong and can literally move mountains. Pohatu can cause massive rocks to explode like bombs, or roll with great precision towards any attacker. His huge feet contain great power, destroying even the toughest rocks with a single kick!

Pohatu is liked by all the Toa for his kind nature and for his rock-solid dependability. He's slow, but friendly and dependable. He's not good at snap decisions, but when he makes a decision to do something, he sticks with it until the end--and you DON'T get in his way! Whenever there is trouble, Pohatu will always be there behind you, an immovable force that few enemies can dislodge. His only fear is water: he cannot swim, and he sinks like a stone.

Pohatu inhabits the foothills of Mount Ihu, moving slowly but sure-footedly among the rocks and boulders at the base of the great mountain."

Oh wow, I think... I think I recognize this site. I bet I stumbled upon it shortly after I got into Bionicle in 2004, back when I was researching all the stuff I missed in the first three years.

Does this look more familiar? :P

Edited by Azani
  • Upvote 3

Find (digital) me under the name Azani on YouTube, Eurobricks, Discord, the BioMedia Project and the TTV Message Boards.

Please check out Project AFTERMAN on Tumblr and Facebook; I'm proud to have worked as their PR Manager and as a writer.

AAZZ.jpg

Looking at this website, it looks like nothing more than a fansite using materials from the media kit LEGO distributed for their 2001 "Build Your Own Bionicle Website" contest. Plenty of people who had no official connection to LEGO at that time entered this contest. There's no reason to think that the bios on this site were the source for the official website's text.

• Upvote 3

Looking at this website, it looks like nothing more than a fansite using materials from the media kit LEGO distributed for their 2001 "Build Your Own Bionicle Website" contest. Plenty of people who had no official connection to LEGO at that time entered this contest. There's no reason to think that the bios on this site were the source for the official website's text.

Given Chris Chan's "eccentricities" when it comes to his "fan content", and the whacky layout of the site, this makes a lot of sense.

• Upvote 1

In the time before time, the Great Spirit descended from the heavens, carrying with him the ones called the Matoran, to this island paradise. We were separate and without purpose, so the great spirit blessed us with the Three Virtues: Unity, Duty and Destiny. We embraced these gifts and in gratitude named our home Mata Nui, after the great spirit himself.

Given Chris Chan's "eccentricities" when it comes to his "fan content", and the whacky layout of the site, this makes a lot of sense.

Given the manner in which this was presented in the first place, as well as the author and such, none of this should have ever passed for legitimate. Very bizarre.

I am in the process of attempting to redesign the original webpage; however, most of the original assets are a little tough to come by, so it could very well take a long, long time. If you're making an effort to take the preservation seriously, then it's great to have you contributing. If not, then it's kind of an issue to have potentially confusing fan content being tossed around all the time.

-Azani

Edited by Azani

Find (digital) me under the name Azani on YouTube, Eurobricks, Discord, the BioMedia Project and the TTV Message Boards.

Please check out Project AFTERMAN on Tumblr and Facebook; I'm proud to have worked as their PR Manager and as a writer.

AAZZ.jpg

Sorry to crash the party, folks, but this is pretty clearly not the original text of the site. I'm not sure why anyone ever began to think that this was a reliable source, but apparently some people did.

See, this is what the site had for Pohatu's excerpt.

"Pohatu, Toa of Stone, and his people live in the foothills of Mount Ihu, where the great stones are carved as symbols of the Tohunga's faith in the Toa."

For the record, this is Pohatu's actual page text.

"Pohatu is a stone spirit. He is immensely strong and can literally move mountains. Pohatu can cause massive rocks to explode like bombs, or roll with great precision towards any attacker. His huge feet contain great power, destroying even the toughest rocks with a single kick!

Pohatu is liked by all the Toa for his kind nature and for his rock-solid dependability. He's slow, but friendly and dependable. He's not good at snap decisions, but when he makes a decision to do something, he sticks with it until the end--and you DON'T get in his way! Whenever there is trouble, Pohatu will always be there behind you, an immovable force that few enemies can dislodge. His only fear is water: he cannot swim, and he sinks like a stone.

Pohatu inhabits the foothills of Mount Ihu, moving slowly but sure-footedly among the rocks and boulders at the base of the great mountain."

This is pretty wild, do you have the rest of the character descriptions? I'd love to give them a read in 2017.

I think I remember this site. Connecting it to Chris Chan after all these years is both disturbing and beautiful. 

• Upvote 1