Gen. 1 and 2 connction.

So... I think that you all know what is the Bionicle story, origins or not.

Heroes that arrive on a beach of the Island of Mata Nui, destined matorans on Metru Nui, the Inika on Voya Nui, the Pit, the Core of the Universe under the sea...

We know how it went, and we know we lost. But a little rewind...

2007. The Toa Nuva went on Artahka to recive from the ruler an upgrade on their armors to be adaptive in the skies and the swamps of Karda Nui... Artahka... But... Did we really meet him? Like... A set, a comic character... No?
I think yes.

Generation 2 rebooted the Bionicle Story, presenting us new characters and locations. People liked it and people didn't. But I think that there are more links between the First and the Second Generation; this is a comment I left on another post:

1) Artahka wears the Mask of Creation and helps the Toa upgrading their armor.

Ekimu wears the Mask of Creation and helps the Toa upgrading their armor.

2) Karzahni is a crazy dude that has his own realm rebuilding matoran.

Makuta (G2) gone mad by his brother and created a powerful and EEEVILL mask.

We saw something in the final episode of Journey To One: Shadow Matorans or Shadow Beings. Who knows if those are rebuild or modified by Makuta himself or his Shadow Powers?

3) Artahka and Karzahni were brothers, like Ekimu and Makuta.

4) Why in the Promo Poster of Bionicle 2016 Umarak have the island of Mata Nui on his head? Well... There must be a link between these two Generations, right?

5) Artahka rules the Island named after himself.

Ekimu, in some kind of way, is the ruler of Okoto (since he is a really important being).

So my thought is this: G2 is the Reboot for G1, yes... But the ambience could be the same. And Okoto is just Artahka. The similiarities are too much to be the opposite.

It is true that the two islands aren't equal, but that could be the fact G2 can be a prequel for G1.

Because another thing I thought is... On the first poster of Journey To One, what are those spehers in the background? Like... One is big than the other, so they can be like Bara Magna and Bota Magna (if we are on Aqua Magna).

It's true, Artahka has different color scheme from Ekimu, and so does Makuta with Karzahni. But the two concepts are like really similiar.

What do you guys think?

• Upvote 1

The only problem I see is that Artahka was a city, where's Okoto has no cities.

Okoto did have cities. In the southwest, it had the City of the Mask Makers, which was in ruins during the 2015 story but was repopulated at the beginning of the 2016 story. Then in the northeast, it had the Capital City, which was transported to the Shadow Realm when the Mask of Ultimate Power was first shattered. There were also other ruined cities in some of the other regions, all abandoned after the great cataclysm.

That said, no, I don't believe there is any canon connection between G1 and G2 that involves them being part of the same reality. On a meta level G2 takes lots of inspiration from G1, including the Mask of Creation and the core conflict between two brothers. And it's not hard to headcanon G1 and G2 as alternate realities. But there are just way too many reasons why it'd contradict the canon of one or both of the two stories for Okoto to be a specific G1 island like Artakha or Mata Nui in the distant past or future.

• Upvote 3

The only problem I see is that Artahka was a city, where's Okoto has no cities.

Okoto did have cities. In the southwest, it had the City of the Mask Makers, which was in ruins during the 2015 story but was repopulated at the beginning of the 2016 story. Then in the northeast, it had the Capital City, which was transported to the Shadow Realm when the Mask of Ultimate Power was first shattered. There were also other ruined cities in some of the other regions, all abandoned after the great cataclysm.

That said, no, I don't believe there is any canon connection between G1 and G2 that involves them being part of the same reality. On a meta level G2 takes lots of inspiration from G1, including the Mask of Creation and the core conflict between two brothers. And it's not hard to headcanon G1 and G2 as alternate realities. But there are just way too many reasons why it'd contradict the canon of one or both of the two stories for Okoto to be a specific G1 island like Artakha or Mata Nui in the distant past or future.

On your first thing Artahka had massive beautiful Metru Nui level cities from my memory, unlike Okoto's drab tribal ruins.

And yes, I support the concept that G2 is an alternate universe.

I think it makes sense if we view this as the prequel to BIONICLE, filtered through the lens of myth and time.

Maybe there was some great guy who had a Mask of Creation, who fought against his brother who made inferior masks. Were those guys Ekimu and Makuta? Who's to say for sure?

Apparently Artakha had a contest with Karzahni to determine who would get the MoC. Maybe that contest was mask making - which is why the Olisi looks like garbage.

Canonically though, it seems that G2 is very far removed from G1. Though my guess is, had it gone on longer, they would have attempted to establish some sort of link through the connection between the upper and lower halves of the Vahi. But we'll never know now.

Edited by Takametru007

Well, I always look at Gen 1 and Gen 2 as alternate realities. Gen 2 could be something that Vezon could go to. I mean, look at a direct-to-video movie called Turtles Forever. The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles look like that they encounter new adventures, but actually some of them are from a reboot, and there are two teams of them. One is from the 1987 TV show while the other is from the 2003 one. The 2003 show is a reboot of the 1987 show. They meet each other as they travel through each other's dimensions. Also, you could look at The Amazing Spider-Man movies in 2012 and 2014 (Bionicle G2's very similar and Spider-Man counterpart in terms of mixed reviews, similar running spans, and more) and Spider-Man: Homecoming (I hope Bionicle G3 would be like that if it could happen). They may look like sequels to the original movie trilogy in 2002-2007 because bad guys do bigger and worse plans than others, but these movies are rebooted movie franchises to the original trilogy. 

So, as I said, I always look at Bionicle G1 and G2 as alternative realities. G2 may have new adventures, but it is an alternate universe. Hard reboots are like that. 

However, I could think that G2 could somehow be a prequel to G1. I would say many things about this: 

1. Okoto gave the Great Beings from G1 an idea of creating the island of Mata Nui whenever the Great Spirit Mata Nui was put into endless sleep (You could tell by the shape of the island). 

2. Ekimu, Makuta, and Elemental Creatures are created by the Great Beings. Perhaps the Beings do that for experiments to see for these guys could make good inspirations to their other creations in the G1's Matoran Universe. Ekimu may have inspired the creation of Artakha while Makuta may have inspired the creation of Karzahni and the name for the Makuta species from G1. The Elemental Creatures and those Elemental Crystals from G2 may have been used by the Beings to create the Element Lords and the Matoran species, Toa, and Turaga (Elemental powers). The Great Beings would have probably took the DNA of the Elemental Creatures and used it to create such creations. 

3. The Okotans are probably some kind of Agori who inspired the Great Beings to create the Matoran (They're short people who wear magical masks). 

4. Kulta and the Skull Creatures may be created by the Great Beings when the Beings created something, like a serum, that was supposed to revive dead life, and they experimented this on dead bodies in Spheres Magna. However, the experiment went horribly wrong, as the serum would turn the dead bodies into undead versions of themselves. 

5. The Skull Spiders, their Lord, and Umarak may be created by the Great Beings to see if they could be good templates for their later creations in the Matoran Universe. However, the experiment went horribly wrong as the spiders and Umarak are evil. 

6. Okoto is probably located in Aqua Magna. 

7. The Toa Masters and their Elemental Stars from G2 are probably created by the Great Beings. The Toa Masters are some of the first Toa to be created by the Great Beings. The Elemental Stars may have inspired the Great Beings to create the Spirit Stars and the Red Star in G1. Artakha probably took the DNA of the Masters before he went into the Matoran Universe before the Great Spirit Robot left Spherus Magna. Therefore, he could use the DNA to create the Toa Mata. 

8. When Spherus Magna was getting destroyed at the end of the Core War, the Great Beings thought about creating the Mask of Time, but they worried that this mask could ruin the Matoran Universe if it is broken or destroyed. So, they decided to turn the mask into two halves of itself that can function like completed Kanohi masks that don't ruin the Matoran Universe in order to lessen the risk. First they made the top half of the mask and gave it to Ekimu for safekeeping. That's how the G2 Mask of Time is created. The Great Beings were going to create the lower half of the mask, but they didn't have time because Spheres Magna was so close to getting destroyed, so they gave the materials for the half to Artakha to have him make it in the Matoran Universe before the Great Spirit Robot left Spheres Magna. However, Artakha was too concerned about the half being destructive in the Matoran Universe if it were to be made, so he decided to use the materials to create the Great Disks to even lessen the risk. 

So, there. That's how I would think G1 and G2 are connected.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)