Drakkirion Courier Dragon

Nuju Metru

37372371556_201c7a7a9f_z.jpg

Built for a commission, this dragon was based on a detailed piece of concept art my client sent me. I loved having an excuse to return to my niche, and think of this as one of the best dragons I've designed! You can check out all images in their larger versions by clicking them.

23567464828_1662cfc8a7_z.jpg

36710059484_eb02317fe9_z.jpg

I'm quite pleased with how uniform the colors are on this build. The dark orange jumper plates up top are meant to evince orange spine striping, which was present in the concept art dragon on which this MOC version was based. Drakkirion has a wingspan more than 19" (47cm) wide. For the first time, I used a two-colored fabric on dragon wings (the underside is a burnt orange, the top a deep red). It pleased me, as well, to take advantage of the new (usually ugly) recoloring of 4L and 6L Technic axles.

37372372186_45b6acbcd2_z.jpg

The minifig that rides Drakkirion was also based on a concept art image. The trenchcoat here is cut from a Prince of Persia awning cloth.

Appreciate any comments ans critiques you have in the comments below!

• Upvote 5

test2.png

Pretty nice dragon, like all of yours. It definitely shows a lot of advancement since your earlier Western-styled dragons like Imaust, helped of course by the use of newer parts like inverse curved slopes and brightly-colored Technic cross axles. That said, I had a hard time getting excited for this one at first glance, since despite its sophistication, the color scheme and physique feel fairly conventional. I guess that's one of the limitations of creating a MOC based on somebody else's concept art — less freedom to personalize it so it instantly stands out from your previous work and the viewer's expectations.

I suppose what excites me the most about this one is the prospect of you taking these techniques and applying them to new creatures of your own design in the future!

• Upvote 1