• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes
  • Participate in raffles to win LEGO prizes
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

Biological Chronicle: The Complete Bionicle Collection

Featured

• Please log in to reply
289 replies to this topic

#281 Offline Cheesy Mac n Cheese

Cheesy Mac n Cheese
  • Members
  • Emerging Stone Champion

• 13-February 06
  • 1,401 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 08 2018 - 09:24 PM

I wasn't around from late 2009 to late 2014, so I wasn't present for those 15 almost-canon stories, and while I've heard of those contests since then, I didn't realize there were so many, and they'd kind of slipped my mind. Thanks, I now have plenty of reading material.

Anyway, I second including them somehow, but maybe as a separate volume.

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese, Oct 08 2018 - 09:24 PM.

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

#282 Offline ToaDume

ToaDume
  • Members
  • Tohunga

• 16-May 18
  • 29 posts

Posted Oct 09 2018 - 09:57 AM

I never heard of these semi-cannon stories. I'd love to read them. I'd have to wait until I'm done to state my opinion on whether they should be included. They can be the best short stories in the world, but if they don't flow right with the rest of the books, I don't know. It might be worth changing some of the story if you are including them. For example, the only one I've started reading so far was the story of Nujus teacher Ihu. Perhaps a good time for this would be as a flashback when Nuju first arrives on mata nui (island) and thinks of Ihu as he's atop The mountain he later names Mt. Ihu.

#283 Offline simontikaxonn

simontikaxonn
  • Members
  • Inhabitant

• 01-November 17
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 09 2018 - 10:18 AM

I'm also excited to read that stories on this compilation, but like Dume said, they have to stick to the canon of it. I totally support this idea

#284 Offline ToaDume

ToaDume
  • Members
  • Tohunga

• 16-May 18
  • 29 posts

Posted Oct 09 2018 - 10:21 AM

I very much look forward to a printable text-only complete version that I hope to have bound in one book, which will likely need to have thinner Bible-style pages. I will be in contact with my local publisher to see what they need to make this possible.

I've mentioned this before, but I believe having a Contents page would be very valuable in navigating through the printed book. It could be as simple as listing the starting page of the 10 books, or be as complex as your GoogleDoc with the chapter list and what that chapter represents in the official Bionicle book/short story that's being extracted, but that is completely up to you.
Thanks again TuragaNuva and others for the hard work!

I would be very interested in hearing what your local publisher says. Usually they're a little more flexible on price if multiple copies are ordered. I know I want one, and I'm sure there's other here that would be interested too, so maybe we can pull together and order from one publisher to lower cost. In that case, someone would need to design a cover though (personally, I think a simple black cover with the 3 virtues symbol on them would be a simple, yet stunning cover that wouldn't reveal anything about the storyline). A contents page might be a little chaotic since in the complete versions, items were moved to better transition between stories and serials. So books would be cut by other books/stories. Unless maybe someone went through the detail of naming every chapter?

Edited by ToaDume, Oct 09 2018 - 10:25 AM.

#285 Offline Cheesy Mac n Cheese

Cheesy Mac n Cheese
  • Members

• 13-February 06
  • 1,401 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 19 2018 - 01:19 PM

I just read “Deep Shadows,” one of those never canonized contest winners, which deals with the events on Odina and Karzahni during the first 1000 years after the Great Cataclysm, and noticed a few problems:
1. Karzahni is repeatedly referred to as an “island,” and it mentions Karzahni having a beach on the sea. If I’m not mistaken, it’s been established that Karzahni’s dome has no water in it, and the closest thing it has to a beach is a small piece of its land jutting into the Silver Sea in Metru Nui’s dome.

2. Karzahni is mentioned to have purple and green armor. He didn’t have that coloration until he rebuilt himself right before leaving his realm, therefore he should have black and gold armor in this story.

3. Karzahni has somehow deduced that Devastator has not only joined an organization, but that his organization has need of secret battle plans. He’s never left his realm, and he’s had no contact with the outside world for thousands of years. How does he even know there are any organizations out there?

4. Karzahni’s already talking about conquest. I thought that never even crossed his mind until he saw Jaller and co.’s alternate future and realized there’s more out there than he originally thought.

I kind of wonder whether or not Greg actually would have approved this one. Don’t get me wrong, it’s an interesting idea that sheds light on Devastator’s seemingly nonsensical origin story, but...

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese, Oct 19 2018 - 01:34 PM.

#286 Offline ArchAngelleofJustice

ArchAngelleofJustice
  • Members
  • Tohunga

• 14-December 16
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 19 2018 - 08:40 PM

1. Karzahni is repeatedly referred to as an “island,” and it mentions Karzahni having a beach on the sea. If I’m not mistaken, it’s been established that Karzahni’s dome has no water in it, and the closest thing it has to a beach is a small piece of its land jutting into the Silver Sea in Metru Nui’s dome.

A brief look at both the wiki and Bionicle Encyclopaedia Updated doesn't explicitly reveal this. Was this shown in Dark Destiny? It seems like an obscure piece of information and I wonder if it should be added to the wiki. I'm trying to imagine it based on what information we have. BEU describes it as 'The realm ruled by Zarazhni. Located in a canyon, it is a strange frightening place...' almost as if it's a territory and not an entire island or continent itself. While I see your point, I've also seen fans interpret Karzahni in a number of ways. In any case, Karzahni must have a beach at both its of it's dome - one in the peninsula inside the Metru Nui dome, and a beach in either it's own dome or in the Northern Continent dome.

(Actually, a lot of this is news to me and I've just assumed Karzahni was a 'normal' island in a dome for a long time.)

I agree with the other issues Cheesy Mac n Cheese brought up. I haven't paid a huge amount of time to Karzahni (the being or the location) so I didn't notice many of these issues, but I wonder if Greg may have 'cleaned' some of these stories up. In addition to the lost formatting that has come from archive changes over time, there are numerous grammatical and spelling errors in many stories. I've only read the 'One Thousand Years Untold 2' stories so far and all of them have been quite enjoyable, but I found myself correcting numerous errors in the prose each time. The Lesoviik contest includes this rule:

• You are allowed to name characters. However, bear in mind that if Mr. Farshtey returns and your story is approved as canon, names will not be included in the approval.

Which leads me to believe that Greg may have corrected some of these errors like the incorrect armor colors. I'm not sure whether he would have corrected Karzahni's entire character, however.

Edited by ArchAngelleofJustice, Oct 19 2018 - 08:42 PM.

My Fanfiction

Parts of a Whole Series: An Alternate Ending

Part 1: Fight for Freedom (On FFN, Ao3, BZP                        Wisps of Memory (On FFN, Ao3, BZP)

Part 2: Army of One (Coming Soon!)

Short Stories: The Great Takara

#287 Offline Cheesy Mac n Cheese

Cheesy Mac n Cheese
  • Members

• 13-February 06
  • 1,401 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 19 2018 - 11:18 PM

A brief look at both the wiki and Bionicle Encyclopaedia Updated doesn't explicitly reveal this. Was this shown in Dark Destiny? It seems like an obscure piece of information and I wonder if it should be added to the wiki. I'm trying to imagine it based on what information we have. BEU describes it as 'The realm ruled by Zarazhni. Located in a canyon, it is a strange frightening place...' almost as if it's a territory and not an entire island or continent itself. While I see your point, I've also seen fans interpret Karzahni in a number of ways. In any case, Karzahni must have a beach at both its of it's dome - one in the peninsula inside the Metru Nui dome, and a beach in either it's own dome or in the Northern Continent dome.

(Actually, a lot of this is news to me and I've just assumed Karzahni was a 'normal' island in a dome for a long time.)

There's a discussion on the talk page. Greg sees it as an isthmus, and BIONICLE World says that it used to be reachable by land, but the water has long since dried up and it is now landlocked. Unless "long since" means "500 years ago," there should be no water-accessible beaches within Karzahni proper at the time of this story.

Oh, and it’s less of an issue, but the presence of a Mana Ko is sort of troubling. I thought they were exclusively found in high security Brotherhood locations.

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese, Oct 22 2018 - 09:03 AM.

#288 Offline Toa Tahva

Toa Tahva
  • Members
  • Inhabitant

• 25-October 17
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 24 2018 - 10:58 AM

The continued work to make this compilation as perfect as can be continues to impress me. I took imagine a world where I will one day try to bind this into a book (or books) of some kind. Having never done such a thing before what kinds of advice do people have for that? 

Going REALLY far back in this discussion, would it be possible to (when all is said and done) release a version that is editable just so people can pick and choose which titles they prefer? If some people like the one word titles and some people prefer the more traditional year "theme" titles (Web of Shadows, Island of Doom, Ignition, ect.) then that would allow everyone to just make do with whatever they wanted.

This is a minor point though and if it is implausible who I am to judge.

#289 Offline TuragaNuva

TuragaNuva
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Members
  • Avid Reader, Sporadic Writer

• 19-December 08
  • 602 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 08 2018 - 04:28 PM

Update time! I finished my write-up of the My Lego Network Bionicle campaign (with a lot of help from the one on BS01), and there is now a Complete version of Book 9 that contains it! It's also been added to the Complete version of the full collection.

I haven't had a chance to look at those fan stories yet, but it's next on my list. I really appreciate that people are pointing out potential canon conflicts in them for me - saves me a lot of trouble down the line!

The continued work to make this compilation as perfect as can be continues to impress me. I took imagine a world where I will one day try to bind this into a book (or books) of some kind. Having never done such a thing before what kinds of advice do people have for that? 

Going REALLY far back in this discussion, would it be possible to (when all is said and done) release a version that is editable just so people can pick and choose which titles they prefer? If some people like the one word titles and some people prefer the more traditional year "theme" titles (Web of Shadows, Island of Doom, Ignition, ect.) then that would allow everyone to just make do with whatever they wanted.

This is a minor point though and if it is implausible who I am to judge.

I'm considering the idea of releasing the Word doc versions (only once everything is essentially final), but I'm not sure yet. I'm also considering a few other options to make sure people get exactly what they want, though (one idea is a poll to determine the final Book names, and then different versions with the most popular choices).

#290 Offline Toa of Gallifrey

Toa of Gallifrey
  • Members
  • Swarm Scavenger

• 11-March 11
  • 696 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 10 2018 - 10:07 AM

That'd be neat! I was against Infection being the name for book 1 at the start, but I thought about it and realized that disease is a key theme in Bionicle and now I'm all for that being the title. The Toa are the medicine that fight the disease that is Makuta, hence why he manifests as an infected Matoran and why he spreads evil through infected Kanohi. It ties perfectly into Faber's vision and I really wish other years stuck with this theme.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users