Jump to content
TuragaNuva

Biological Chronicle: The Complete Bionicle Collection

Recommended Posts

On 6/15/2020 at 6:59 PM, Bitl said:

Will there be a EPUB version of this? I want to read it on my Kobo E-Reader, but the text is really small and hard to read.

It's in the works, but things in my life have been a little hectic lately, so I haven't made much progress on it recently. I promise it will come eventually!

 

7 minutes ago, Toa of Mirrors said:

 

I believe he keeps them here, though it makes them a lot harder to download than this collection: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7913598/MakutaMutran

Of course, it's still easier to download than the Wall of History's websites. Speaking of, the Wall of History seems to have the intro preview of Bionicle Legends 7: Invasion, in which Matoro got possessed by the Makuta on his way down the Cord, presumably because it was briefly posted somewhere before it was cancelled, at https://wallofhistory.com/story/no/04/07/01/00/ . Also, there are a few lines of dialog cut from the final chapter of MNOG that Templar posted at https://templargames.tumblr.com/post/183938904297/program-9-the-light-of-victory-and-its-shadow .  Are either of those of interest to either of your projects?

Also, I do have some ideas on how to add the plot points I previously mentioned in, though they would likely involve inserting quotes between blocks of text from the books, which you said you're trying to avoid. To illustrate what I mean, I attached a list I wrote of some of the additions I would make to various chapters of Book 1: Infection based on some of the lines Templar wrote for MNOG that were cut from the walkthrough or the final game.

MNOG Dialog Additions.txt 3.95 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks for the link! I'll take a look.

James (who runs WoH) actually sent me the Introduction to the cancelled Legends #7: Invasion shortly after he obtained it; I added it to the "Compete" version of Book 7 a while back. I hadn't seen the cut MNOG dialog, though; I'll take a look at that. Thanks for the write-up!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've recently concluded that the transcription of Quest for the Toa in the Complete versions of Book 1: Invasion isn't the most accurate one out there, or at least parts of it aren't. For starters, the first person who talks to you in the game looks like Jala, but the PDF calls him an Onu-Matoran. He is called Jala in Pages 145-153 of ToaTapio Nuva's own Bionicle story compilation, at http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/tapio/Legend/the_bionicle_story.doc . MakutaMutran's version, specifically The Dark Time Chapter 2, calls him Aft, a Ta-Matoran who bears little resemblance to Jala, and his version later omits Vakama's line about Takua being an amateur. Though I'd have to review the text and the game more thoroughly to be sure, I think Tapio's version is the most accurate account of Quest for the Toa.


Come see my story-corrected Tahu And Takanuva MoCs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That Tohunga appears to be Jala when you first load the game, but if you reload, it’s someone else. I don’t think it’s supposed to be Jala. Why would Jala be there? Later in the game he acts like he does not really know Takua.

The “training” section of the game might contain some non-canon elements, namely the diversity of Tohunga present on a beach of Onu-Wahi. There’s no clear reason why Tohunga from every village are there, besides as a sort of demo.


Has following the story become too complex? Look no further:


How to Follow BIONICLE

A Simple, chronological checklist

UPDATE May 22 2013: Every is now color coded!

Contains every bit of content, organized by story year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hi! Hope I'm not being a pain; but I've noticed a small discrepancy regarding the Le-Koro section of Book #1. In game, there were two versions of the linked MNOG cutscenes "Into the Great Hive" and "Onua Vs. Lewa"; one version that included Taipu, if the player had earlier allowed him to accompany them into Le-Wahi (with him getting zapped by a lightning bug in the former cutscene, and riding on Onua's head during the escape from the nest in the latter), and an alternate version without him for if the player told him to remain at the dig site.

I noticed, however, that while the walkthrough text in the book describes the first scenario, where Taipu is present, the cutscenes found via the media links don't match; they are instead the versions where he is absent.

I dunno, this might be too tiny a point to do anything about. But I saw in the first post that you wanted to know if any discrepancies were found, so I thought I ought to let you know ^^

Edited by That Matoran with a Vahi
  • Like 1

FbsbqP.gif

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, That Matoran with a Vahi said:

Hi! Hope I'm not being a pain; but I've noticed a small discrepancy regarding the Le-Koro section of Book #1. In game, there were two versions of the linked MNOG cutscenes "Into the Great Hive" and "Onua Vs. Lewa"; one version that included Taipu, if the player had earlier allowed him to accompany them into Le-Wahi (with him getting zapped by a lightning bug in the former cutscene, and riding on Onua's head during the escape from the nest in the latter), and an alternate version without him for if the player told him to remain at the dig site.

I noticed, however, that while the walkthrough text in the book describes the first scenario, where Taipu is present, the cutscenes found via the media links don't match; they are instead the versions where he is absent.

I dunno, this might be too tiny a point to do anything about. But I saw in the first post that you wanted to know if any discrepancies were found, so I thought I ought to let you know ^^

Thanks so much for pointing this out to me! I had no idea that cutscenes varied based on whether Taipu was with you. I've added it to the list of fixes needed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These are awesome updates!  I love the new covers as well as the character guides and everything else.  Congratulations on finishing the project and thank you for all the hard work you put into this! :)


~Daler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I noticed a small typo on the back cover of Book 10: “killed” is written as “kiled”

 

 


~Daler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Daler99 said:

I noticed a small typo on the back cover of Book 10: “killed” is written as “kiled”

 

 

Ah, thanks. I had to re-create the covers at the last minute because of a resolution issue and I must have mistyped that in my haste. Thankfully Book 10 only has one version to fix. I'll push an update up shortly (won't require an updated download link)

EDIT: Fix is now uploaded for both the individual Book 10 download and the ZIP. Let me know if you still see the issue, or if you find any more!

Edited by TuragaNuva
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ooh, those covers are nice! :D I like how they follow the design language of the official Bionicle books; but also especially the way they use more world-buildy / atmospheric images, as opposed to the 'standard set pictures' that were all over most of the official works. It gives more of a feel to the wide scope of the Bionicle world, and is a really nice touch ^^

  • Like 1

FbsbqP.gif

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2017 at 7:42 PM, TuragaNuva said:

EDIT: I've updated the download links here to the latest version, with the 810NICLE Day update! This is (hopefully) the final update to the PDFs, but stay tuned to https://crosswiredgeeks.com/biologicalchronicle for news about other formats and more!

 

So, I realized a while back that the Bionicle story is... a little hard to know how to read. You've got the chapter books, the comics, the serials, the podcasts, etc., and no easy way of knowing what order it should all be read in. Well, I've decided to try and fix that.

 

This is Biological Chronicle: the Complete Bionicle Collection. I've made PDFs containing practically every text- and audio-based piece of canon Bionicle fiction, plus any comics with story material not included elsewhere, in an ideal reading order. Everything is here, from the MNOG walkthrough to the Young Reader books, as well as QR codes (that are also clickable links!) which take you to video-only content. I re-did the existing podcast transcriptions, refined the existing translation of The Crossing, got the best comic scans I could, and just generally tried to make sure that everything is as high-quality as possible. This compilation is divided into 10 "Books," or volumes, each containing roughly one year's story.

 

Now, I understand that some people might have different preferences for what's included, so I've created a few different versions of each volume to try and have options for every reader (the specifics are detailed for each one below). For example, every volume has a "Text-Only" option: no comics, no picture books, etc. I've also created a single, complete PDF, with EVERY volume in it (as well as another version of it that's text-only).

 

I've spent many months working on this, but understand that there may still be some minor formatting issues or typos here and there. If you find any, please let me know! I want these collections to be as perfect as possible.

 

Also, serious thanks to Toatapio Nuva, who typed up all the chapter books, and gave me great advice during the process of putting this together. Without his help, I can't imagine how much longer this would have taken me.

 

So, anyways... I hope you guys enjoy! All feedback is welcome.

 

Click here to download a ZIP of all 10 Books!

 

Note: I've temporarily taken down the links to the single PDFs that contain all 10 Books, as they've become unsustainable to maintain. I'm looking into a way to provide them as an option, but rest assured that you aren't missing anything by downloading the books individually (using the big link above, or the individual links for each Book below).

Individual volumes (and their various alternate versions):

 

Book 1: Infection (2001 story) - Last update: 08/10/2021
Book 2: Swarm (2002 story + Bohrok Kal) - Last update: 08/24/2021
Book 3: Masks (post-Bohrok Kal 2003 story) - Last update: 08/10/2021
Book 5: Venom (2005 story) - Last update: 08/10/2021
Book 6: Doomed (2006 story) - Last update: 08/10/2021
Book 7: Sacrifice (2007 story) - Last update: 08/10/2021
Book 8: Rising (2008 story) - Last update: 08/10/2021
Book 9: Destiny (2009+2010 story) - Last update: 08/10/2021
Book 10: Epilogue (unfinished/post-finale serials) - Last update: 08/12/2021

CHANGELOG

And for those curious, here are my notes from the creation process. These aren't necessarily representative of the final order of things, but rather just what I jotted down during the process of putting everything together. I'll try to put together a more finalized list of what's included and where.

Changelog (started 1/26/2020, does not include all changes made before this date)

@TuragaNuva so this does have the comics, bionicle chronicles, bionicle adventures, bionicle legends, and BIONICLE Young Readers, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Alex Chen said:

@TuragaNuva so this does have the comics, bionicle chronicles, bionicle adventures, bionicle legends, and BIONICLE Young Readers, right?

This collection contains all of Chronicles, Adventures, Legends, and the Young Reader books, and all of the comic content that isn't redundant to the books (the comic pages that show events already included in the text are left out).

It also includes all of the web serials and podcasts, as well as some extra story material from guidebooks (e.g. Makuta's Diary from Makuta's Guide to the Universe).

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really love this initiative. I've wanted to have a nice collection of all Bionicle media, and this was exactly what I was hoping to see created. Something that I had been wanting to do was to have these turned into something tangible for my own collection, so I used the first book as a test, here is the result:

51689544905_5f4b4cf086_c.jpg

51687861762_de009e194c_c.jpg

51689544950_7e9347ce3c_c.jpg

I think it turned out real nice! It's a very nice 8.5x11 size and really looks pretty good in hand. Please note that this is of course strictly for my own collection and I am in no way selling or distributing this. Just wanted to showcase how it looks in hand. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, VBBN said:

I really love this initiative. I've wanted to have a nice collection of all Bionicle media, and this was exactly what I was hoping to see created. Something that I had been wanting to do was to have these turned into something tangible for my own collection, so I used the first book as a test, here is the result:

51689544905_5f4b4cf086_c.jpg

51687861762_de009e194c_c.jpg

51689544950_7e9347ce3c_c.jpg

I think it turned out real nice! It's a very nice 8.5x11 size and really looks pretty good in hand. Please note that this is of course strictly for my own collection and I am in no way selling or distributing this. Just wanted to showcase how it looks in hand. 

Oh wow, that looks fantastic! It's amazing to see this compilation in physical form; I want to have a copy made for myself eventually.

I do have plans to eventually make a reformatted version optimized for printing (with page gutters, resized page dimensions more common for books, etc), but it might be a long while before I have that completed, and the copy you've printed looks great using the current release!

If/when you print copies of the rest of the volumes, please continue to share pictures!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TuragaNuva said:

Oh wow, that looks fantastic! It's amazing to see this compilation in physical form; I want to have a copy made for myself eventually.

I do have plans to eventually make a reformatted version optimized for printing (with page gutters, resized page dimensions more common for books, etc), but it might be a long while before I have that completed, and the copy you've printed looks great using the current release!

If/when you print copies of the rest of the volumes, please continue to share pictures!

I’ll definitely share pictures of the rest as I get them! Yeah the one issue I ran into with this was that some of the fonts refused to embed, I ended up saving the PDF as images which eventually worked. I was glad to see the pages fit pretty well without any cutoffs or anything as it was!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...