Cheesiest things in Bionicle

CommanderKumo

Today I would like to start a discussion about what you think the cheesiest things are in Bionicle, for me it is "Free the Band" it is like the marketing directors had spent months at Cheese College just for the purpose of getting it right.

What's your thoughts on the matter?

Do you like cheesy stuff or should Bionicle be serious?

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClo2J14RKmVtcnoJTv7g6PA , Bionicle films coming soon!

My opinion is gonna be really unpopular with this, but I thought the books were really 'cheesy' I guess. Childish could perhaps be a better word, but even as an 8-year old, I couldn't enjoy the books just because they were so heavily directed towards kids - there were tons of typos, mistakes, the word choice and sentence structure was poor, the story wasn't thought out well, action scenes were wasted and it failed to engage me as a whole - when you can look at other books like The Hobbit and Harry Potter, which are directed at kids but can be enjoyed by adults as well. I feel like the books only exist to make Lego more money, not to tell an exciting, engaging story about arguably the most awesome toys of the decade.

The 2006 marketing line with the Toa Inika and Piraka was really cheesy as well. The Piraka were made out, both in the adverts and in the sets, to appeal to bullies and the 'cool kids', which was a stupid concept and the Toa Inika all looked like thugs to appeal to the same sort of people. They should have stuck with the vibe created in 2004, which continued into 2005, 2007 and 2008.

The MoL movie and the Legend Reborn were also really cheesy and at least in my opinion, impacted the theme more negatively than positively and I could have done without them. Legends of Metru Nui and Web of Shadows were fantastic though.

Just my opinion, and there are tons of other cheesy things about Bionicle which I could mention, but I don't want this post to be too unappealing to read.

Edited by Tarix819
  • Upvote 1

My opinion is gonna be really unpopular with this, but I thought the books were really 'cheesy' I guess. Childish could perhaps be a better word, but even as an 8-year old, I couldn't enjoy the books just because they were so heavily directed towards kids - there were tons of typos, mistakes, the word choice and sentence structure was poor, the story wasn't thought out well, action scenes were wasted and it failed to engage me as a whole - when you can look at other books like The Hobbit and Harry Potter, which are directed at kids but can be enjoyed by adults as well. I feel like the books only exist to make Lego more money, not to tell an exciting, engaging story about arguably the most awesome toys of the decade.

The 2006 marketing line with the Toa Inika and Piraka was really cheesy as well. The Piraka were made out, both in the adverts and in the sets, to appeal to bullies and the 'cool kids', which was a stupid concept and the Toa Inika all looked like thugs to appeal to the same sort of people. They should have stuck with the vibe created in 2004, which continued into 2005, 2007 and 2008.

The MoL movie and the Legend Reborn were also really cheesy and at least in my opinion, impacted the theme more negatively than positively and I could have done without them. Legends of Metru Nui and Web of Shadows were fantastic though.

Just my opinion, and there are tons of other cheesy things about Bionicle which I could mention, but I don't want this post to be too unappealing to read.

Your right about the books, especially some action sequences, where a rahi with a conjectural name is just used to add unneeded action.

2006's marketing decisions will always be a big mystery.

Mol and TLR are certainly cheesy, LOMN and WOS are safe but the characters not looking like the sets let them down for me, but storywise they are nice.

Edited by CommanderKumo
  • Upvote 1

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClo2J14RKmVtcnoJTv7g6PA , Bionicle films coming soon!

My Brickshelf, my Tumblr (it's not as bad as it sounds)
Current collection:
2001: 
Matoro, Onepu, Maku, Onua, Pohatu, Tahu, Lewa
2002: Tahnok, Gahlok, Lehvak, Tahnok-Va, Kohrak-Va, Gahlok-Va, Pahrak-Va, Kopaka Nuva, Gali Nuva, Lewa Nuva
2003: Panrahk, Guurahk, Turahk, Kurahk
2004: Bordakh (X2), Rorzakh, Vorzakh, Matau, Whenua

2005: Oohnorak, Rahaga Iruini, Rahagah Norik
2006: Dalu, Velika, Vezok, Reidak, Vezon and Fenrakk

2007Dekar, Defilak, Morak, Takadox
2008: Gorast, Rockoh T3, Axalara T9
2009Tarduk, Skrall, Tarix, Malum, Gresh, Mata Nui, Vastus, Stronius, Tuma, Fero and Skirmix, Baranus V7, Kaxium V3, Cendox V1, Thornatus V9
2010: Tahu

2015: Kopaka, Pohatu, Lewa, Vizuna, Skull Basher

2016: Tahu
Throwbot/Slizer collection:
1999: Torch/Fire, Scuba/Sub, Ski/Ice, Turbo/City, Amazon/Jungle, Granite/Rock, Electro/Energy, Jet/Judge
2000: Blaster, Millennium/Millennia, Flare, Spark

Star Wars Collectible Figures: Death Trooper, Sergeant Jyn Erso, K-2SO, Baze Malbus

I also have the Onyx Roborider and Jimi Stinger froBreakout.

I feel like the Rahkshi and Vahki are a bit of a stretch on that. It's also discounting numerous other non-insect Rahi, the Morbuzakh, Karzahni, the Piraka, most of the other Makuta, the rest of the Barraki, and all sorts of titan-sized sets like Sidorak, Roodaka, Brutaka, Maxilos, Krekka, etc.

To stay on topic, most of the stuff with Click in The Legend Reborn was a little too cheesy for me. I mean, I get that I definitely wasn't in their target demographic when that movie came out, but even that stuff was a little much.

rahkshi_symbol.png

Yo Yo

To this day, I am pained to say that I will never be able to associate anything else with those 2 words. Or that one word repeated twice. Is "yo" even a word? *consults the dark tome of Merriam and Webster* Sweet Primus, it is.

• Upvote 3

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

Yo Yo

To this day, I am pained to say that I will never be able to associate anything else with those 2 words. Or that one word repeated twice. Is "yo" even a word? *consults the dark tome of Merriam and Webster* Sweet Primus, it is.
Welcome to 2017, want a fidget spinner?

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/