BRING BIONICLE G1 BACK!

Miru577

After the abject failure of Bionicle G2 (not saying it was necessarily bad, just that it objectively failed from a business perspective), Lego presumably isn't interested in releasing anything with the Bionicle branding for a long time.

Even without an accompanying toyline, I'd love to see all the loose ends of the original story wrapped up, but only if Greg wrote it, and I get the feeling he's moved on. I don't doubt he still cares about Bionicle and its fans, but its been ~6 years since he worked on it, and I don't know if he's really interested in going back to it at this point.

• Upvote 2

sigbanner.gif

G1 is dead, as is the old building system. And it would be best if fans bury this axe like they should have 7 years ago. We are not getting a direct story continuation to a theme that stalled sales-wise because of the inherent complexity of its ever-expanding story line. And we will never see the return of a building system that CCBS was specifically developed to replace because of its long-running limitations and lack of cost-effectiveness.

Look, just because you're personally nostalgic about something doesn't mean it would be financially viable to bring it back. In the case of G1, which was canceled because it was no longer financially viable, I'm afraid you're grasping at straws.

• Upvote 2

I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones. But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole. And the Darkness can not stand before me.

No one should want that.

CCBS is the new constraction system we have and G2 was a beautiful blend of technic and CCBS. So we know that it dose and can work.

G1 was lighting in a jar. It should stay in the past. G2 tried to recapture that lighting but was dragged down by G1 continuation supporters and poor marketing. Instead of letting G2 grow as it's own story our toxic fandom demanded G1 over and over. Shooting down our most likely Only shot of Bionicle coming back for a long period of time.

So no G1 should rest in peace.

But if LEGO for some reason released Bionicle in a year or so then a soft reboot of G2 is possible. If not the G2 should rest as well.

• Upvote 3

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

Man, I hear people keep saying “G1 is not going to be continued” things. Well, I want G1 to be re-continued by heart. I really do, but it could be hard, I believe. If that could happen, I made some ideas that I hope Lego could use:

1. Read the first post in my topic: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25028-your-dream-bionicle-video-game/?do=findComment&comment=1140292

2. If Bionicle were to be owned by Disney, Disney would re-continue G1, like they are re-continuing Star Wars now. I know this one may be sort of impossible since Bionicle is made by and stays in Lego, but if a franchise is getting miserable, then have Disney help it, like it did to Star Wars and Marvel.

There you go.:)

• Upvote 1

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Everything has a time and place in this world. As much as many would like to relive or recreate the past it's just not possible. Not just for the logistical facts about how implausible it is, but for the fact that you've already grown and changed past that era. If Bionicle were to come back it wouldn't just market to new audiences, it'd market to a new you. It'd market to those who carry the memory of Bionicle, but it wouldn't try to replicate that success because all of life is a mix of chance and tribulation. You can't restore yourself back to that time, even if G1 somehow could. They can try to capture the spirit or make it feel familiar but G1 remains in my heart as a series of beautiful memories and something I committed a considerable part of my childhood to. Bionicle can come back but if it does it deserves to be its own and stand in its own context rather than pine for the impossible to people likely wouldn't wholly appreciate it.

Edited by Banana Gunz
  • Upvote 1

Not me. No point in revisiting the essentially complete G1 story, and even less point in getting rid of a superior building system in favor of something that hardly qualified as a "system" at all.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

G1 happened. It's gone. It's done. The story has been told. I want Bionicle back because it's very important to me, personally; but not in its original form. I want a new take on Bionicle, something that approaches it from a different angle. G2 could have been just that, but everything other than the sets was lackluster.

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

The best one can do is continue where we left off and make lore from where we were left at, hence why I joined the ARA project and have done much work for it and still do. It's the best one can really do, I suppose if anyone is interested I could show some of my work speaking of which.

• Upvote 1

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

I doubt a 3rd generation would be worth it anytime soon. Lets just enjoy and cherish what have

The only one possibility would releasing the old sets with 45% slight upgrades without too drastic updates like G2 did.

Example for a G3 (G1 2.0) Tahu Mata.

1. The old canister style packing is brought in retro style, same g2 box but it has the full g1 style canister artwork on the bo
  2. The mask stays complete G1 style instead of what G2 looked like but it still has side hooks from G2(no mask launching gimmick)
  3. The weapon a simple updated flamesword like g1 but in trans-red (not hero factory fire piece)
  4. Orange has to be a major part of his colorscheme like before 2008, no gold or dark red or silver as a major body color. 

The result is a and new version of 55% tecnic with only minor 45% minor ccbs, for joints but has mata feet instead of ccbs shoes. 

Edited by necross hordika

qs3135.jpg

I want it back but it just wouldn't be worth it for Lego.

The new CCBS system is awful but it's what Lego has at the moment and it is likely to stay that way until sales start falling again.

I really like CCBS. It's nice and durable, and has a nice look to it. I use a lot of CCBS and Technic, and I also use old Bionicle in a lot of MOCs.

• Upvote 2

A fish wielding vampire. That's Spiffy.

I want it back but it just wouldn't be worth it for Lego.

The new CCBS system is awful but it's what Lego has at the moment and it is likely to stay that way until sales start falling again.

I really like CCBS. It's nice and durable, and has a nice look to it. I use a lot of CCBS and Technic, and I also use old Bionicle in a lot of MOCs.
A even mixture of the two can make truly beautiful MOCs.

Continue G1? Just because Star Wars was able to do it doesn't mean everyone can. And bringing back the old building system? There's a higher chance of me going to a junkyard, managing to find my old car that got totaled in March 2016, and being able to fully restore and revive it. Do I want that black Mustang back? Absolutely. If given the chance to restore it, would I? Yes, and without hesitation. But that does it mean it's likely, or even possible? And if it were physically possible, would it be financially smart? See, my black 07 Mustang is much like Bionicle G1, and a G3 would need to be like my white 08. They're similar, both being the same package, but they're different. Things that looked good on the 07 may not work on the 08, and things that didn't look so great on the 07 look better on the 08. I know it's a strange analogy, but it's what LEGO needs to do. They need to make G3 similar, but different. Perhaps it's better to compare the 1965 Mustang and the 2005 Mustang...the 05 took everything that made the original great, and modernized it. It's basically Ford saying "this is what the original would look like if built today". I hope this makes sense to everyone...if not, I suggest reading about the history of the Mustang, that might make it clearer to anyone unable to relate here. Basically, I'm saying LEGO needs to take what made G1 work, update it, and then add something new to it to make it fresh and relevant again. 

I remember hearing how Bandai re-releases old power rangers toys and LEGO did the same with Star Wars, as stated above by Blastcage. I would be up for this in all honesty, but there would have to be something accompanying this to make it happen.  

For example, power rangers had the new movie not too long ago which, I assume is why they re-released old toys, LEGO would have to do something along those lines to have a purpose and get enough sales obviously.  A new Bionicle movie?  TV series that re-tells gen 1 from the ground-up?  I would enjoy that a lot, though I don't know if they would go the PG-13 route, maybe keep it PG  

Edited by JustASolitaryBear
  • Upvote 1

Ghost_in_the_Shell_Sig_by_aose.jpg

"And where does the newborn go from here? The net is vast and infinite."

G2 tried to recapture that lighting but was dragged down by G1 continuation supporters and poor marketing. Instead of letting G2 grow as it's own story our toxic fandom demanded G1 over and over. Shooting down our most likely Only shot of Bionicle coming back for a long period of time.

>it's another "the fans killed G2" episode

jesus christ is it that hard to accept that LEGO was just terrible at handling the reboot? It's been a year by now, I thought it was enough.

Also, thinking that a minority of a minority of a minority (AFOLs who bought Bionicle sets back in the day and still care about the franchise) could have anything to do with a toy line aimed at children is just blatantly delusional.

• Upvote 2

At this point I'm back to where I was in 2013. I actively do not want bionicle to return. Again G2 was no where near as good in story or characterization as G1. If Lego reboots the theme again it'll just get further away from that original magic to the point where it'll just be insulting to the memory of the original. It's best it just stay dead so nothing can tarnish it's memory. Let Lego come up with newer ideas. 

It's time to move on.

G2 tried to recapture that lighting but was dragged down by G1 continuation supporters and poor marketing. Instead of letting G2 grow as it's own story our toxic fandom demanded G1 over and over. Shooting down our most likely Only shot of Bionicle coming back for a long period of time.

>it's another "the fans killed G2" episode

jesus christ is it that hard to accept that LEGO was just terrible at handling the reboot? It's been a year by now, I thought it was enough.

Also, thinking that a minority of a minority of a minority (AFOLs who bought Bionicle sets back in the day and still care about the franchise) could have anything to do with a toy line aimed at children is just blatantly delusional.

How about instead we accept that neither the fans nor Lego bears total blame for G2's failure?

I'm so tired of people playing the blame game about it. Bringing back Bionicle was a risk. Even Lego's intensive focus testing can't ensure a hit with 100% certainty, but Lego did their best anyway and put a lot of work into bringing back a theme fans had been demanding since it went away.

Unfortunately, not all risks pay off. Buyers just didn't take to the new Bionicle the way they did to the original back in the day. Ultimately, we can continue to pick apart the theme's corpse looking for answers until the end of time, but the fact is that unless Lego brings back Bionicle in a different way and is successful we will literally never know exactly what factors could have made things turn out differently. For all we know, Bionicle may have just been the wrong theme at the wrong time for the toy audience at large! But I, personally, am happy we got the reboot regardless of its failure to gain mass appeal. And I think a lot of other people here at BZPower would say the same.

• Upvote 2

How about instead we accept that neither the fans nor Lego bears total blame for G2's failure?

The point is that the fans shouldn't even be mentioned in this matter. We're always talking about the elusive toxicity of this community, but one of the most toxic things I see happening all the time is blaming a ridiculously small minority for something that happened because of much bigger players.

You call G2 "a failure", even though you claim you loved it (like if I didn't, just look at my profile picture and my controversial feed at EB), but we don't even know if it actually was a failure, and not just because of that infamous LEGO tweet, but because the line was axed in late 2015, when they didn't even know how much it was exactly selling.

LEGO didn't bring back BIONICLE because of a handful of people and it didn't kill it for the same handful of people. At this point I don't even care anymore who was the mysterious assassin of my favourite toyline, I just don't wanna see the real toxicity expanding in a community where the same fifty people talk to each other in at least two different forums and an anonymous imageboard.

• Upvote 1

I am truly sorry if I came off as harsh.

What I ment was that G1 only fans harassing Lego for only G1 stuff didn't help.

I'm not claiming it's the soul cause or a major factor at all to G2's death. Just pointing out its not cool.

I was sick of the fans who shot down G2 because it wasn't G1. So seeing this topic gave me some 2015 flashbacks, that should not be repeated.

So again I apologize if I offended some individuals, but I stand my case that G1 will not return.

Why not continue G2? Add a handful of Okotans who go on a quest to become the new Toa, like in my Epic Beyond Okoto!

For villains, less skeletal, more frightening minions of Makuta. And how about an actual Makuta set, for Karzahni's sake!

If all else fails, then send in the G2 Bohrok.

Just some thoughts... Tell me if you agree.

Evil knows, that hope is afloat.

Where life is enslaved, all can be saved.

Light will unite, what now darkness divides.

Spark the flame of the heart

FOR THE FUTURE TO START.

Read my epic G2 fanfic, Beyond Okoto, and find out what happened after the Toa left Okoto!

The point is that the fans shouldn't even be mentioned in this matter. We're always talking about the elusive toxicity of this community, but one of the most toxic things I see happening all the time is blaming a ridiculously small minority for something that happened because of much bigger players.

You call G2 "a failure", even though you claim you loved it (like if I didn't, just look at my profile picture and my controversial feed at EB), but we don't even know if it actually was a failure, and not just because of that infamous LEGO tweet, but because the line was axed in late 2015, when they didn't even know how much it was exactly selling.

LEGO didn't bring back BIONICLE because of a handful of people and it didn't kill it for the same handful of people. At this point I don't even care anymore who was the mysterious assassin of my favourite toyline, I just don't wanna see the real toxicity expanding in a community where the same fifty people talk to each other in at least two different forums and an anonymous imageboard.

Entirely fair point. The fate of Bionicle's revival never rested on the original fans. And "failure" may be an overstatement, though I can't help but get the impression that one way or another its relaunch failed to meet expectations. That said, I think foisting the blame entirely on Lego for "mishandling" the theme is not particularly generous and undersells the hard work that went into at least trying to recapture the original theme's success. And I'm pretty sensitive about those sorts of accusations, since so many people attribute the theme's end to "laziness" when I have seen how many of the people working on the theme were as passionate about it, and as disappointed by its end, as the fans themselves.

Entirely fair point. The fate of Bionicle's revival never rested on the original fans. And "failure" may be an overstatement, though I can't help but get the impression that one way or another its relaunch failed to meet expectations. That said, I think foisting the blame entirely on Lego for "mishandling" the theme is not particularly generous and undersells the hard work that went into at least trying to recapture the original theme's success. And I'm pretty sensitive about those sorts of accusations, since so many people attribute the theme's end to "laziness" when I have seen how many of the people working on the theme were as passionate about it, and as disappointed by its end, as the fans themselves.
My argument is not about LGO being lazy just that stronger marketing could of been used and different more kid centered advertising.

Facebook and Netflix are more targeted to our older demographic than a younger one.

I personally love G2 I feel like it had a great story that was just getting started.

My argument is not about LGO being lazy just that stronger marketing could of been used and different more kid centered advertising.

Facebook and Netflix are more targeted to our older demographic than a younger one.

I personally love G2 I feel like it had a great story that was just getting started.

You sort of have a point with Facebook, but loads of kids use Netflix. Bionicle: The Journey to One is just one of many kid-targeted exclusive series they've developed, and they also stream lots of kid-targeted TV shows originally developed for TV. According to this article, 71% of kids ages 6 to 8 and 76% of kids ages 9 to 12 use Netflix.

• Upvote 1

You sort of have a point with Facebook, but loads of kids use Netflix. Bionicle: The Journey to One is just one of many kid-targeted exclusive series they've developed, and they also stream lots of kid-targeted TV shows originally developed for TV. According to this article, 71% of kids ages 6 to 8 and 76% of kids ages 9 to 12 use Netflix.
This is a statistic I did not know about.

So kids do use Netflix. Though I would still think that traditional TV channels such as cartoon network would be stronger territory.

I do see the point your making.

• Upvote 1