Kanohi of the last three Kanoka

So we all know in G1, the Matoran of Metru Nui made Kanohi using Kanoka; anything barring the eight basic powers (Reconstitutes at random, Freezes, Weakens, Removes poison, Enlarges, Shrinks, Regenerates and Teleports.) is made by combining the discs in various combinations  of those eight powers.

But that is not the point of this post; 5 of those basic eight powers (Regenerates, Teleports, Shrinks, Enlarges, Weakens) have associated masks (Kiril, Kualsi, Pehkui, mask of Growth, Jutlin.) and here's what I would I do for the last three:

Reconstitutes at random: Kanohi Jyru - Mask of Chaos - The wearer can touch non-living objects and change it's form randomly; it doesn't change it's mass, and increasing volume requires a reduction of density, and the elemental composition doesn't change - only the shape it takes. The change will eventually be reversed, although the Great version can undo these changes at will. The Greater version can also change much larger objects while the noble has a limited range of sizes it can affect, as well as taking time to change an object unlike the Instantaneous change caused by the Greater level.

Freezes: Kanohi Kobare - Mask of Stopping - The wearer can shoot bolts of energy from the mask or through a weapon. These bolts don't do damage, instead they create a coating of ice over the target, subdue them. The Greater version of this mask can shoot a further distance, makes more ice coating and the ice is harder to break or melt than the Noble version.

Purify: Kanohi Meyo - Mask of Purity - The wearer can purify objects and individuals around themselves, or their own bodies, of poison and other destructive substances. It can also repel toxic gases/liquids and stop venom of rahi attacks. The Noble version cannot affect mutagenic substances, like Hordika Venom, or chemicals that damage inorganic not organic substances, like certain acids, as it can only affect substances that can damage or kill the user. The Great version has no such limitation.

So what do you guys think? Good ideas for masks? bad? just don't care?

• Upvote 2

I always figured the Freeze disks would just translate into a Mask of Ice, giving the same basic control over the element as the Garai does over Gravity.

On the Reconstitutes at Random, I've theorized that it might work better as a Mask of Mutation (or Shapeshifting, but that one is already kinda covered by the Great Mahiki, so maybe not). We know the Mask of Mutation allows the user to mutate other beings, but there seems to be a greater degree of control over the outcome than the disk allows. Perhaps it's because the disk just causes a random change without a mind guiding it? Maybe the mask-making process refines the disks powers a bit to allow for its shortcomings. That's just my thinking. 

• Upvote 1

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Your Mask of Ice point does make some sense. However according to Bio-sector01, the Mask of Mutation is a combination of a Reconstitutes at random and an Unknown disc type; my personal guess is Regeneration. Also the Reconstitutes at random disc only affects the target's form while the Mask of mutation affects powers as well and can undo mutations from other sources. That being said you might be on to something with the whole disc reconstitutes randomly due to no user input does make a lot of sense; so instead of a Mask of Chaos, possibly a Mask of Alteration?

Definitely some interesting ideas-definitely not something that ever caught my attention.

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge

Had three thoughts related to this subject:

Since Toa Discs can be made into elemental masks like the Garai, could they combined with regular Kanoka discs to make new mask combinations?

In a three disc-combination, can there be two discs of the same type in a combination, or would that just end up being a version of their two disc-combination.

Is three disc-combination the highest possible combination?

• 2 weeks later...

I just always assumed that not every disk power would translate into a useful mask power. Example: the increase weight disks used to land Metru Nui Airships (levitation gets them in the sky). Who would want a Great Mask of Weight Gain? Maybe if you could make your enemies heavier, but I feel it would only be able to make the user heavier.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

• 2 weeks later...

That sounds exactly like a Garai. But we know that the elemental masks were made from elemental Toa disks. How were the elemental disks made? Perhaps a Disk of Gravity is made by combining Levitation + Increase Weight. I feel like the elemental masks would be more common if they were so easy to make, though.

To answer the original question, I can see Reconstitute at Random being used for the Felnas, Mask of Mutation or Mask of Adaptation. Remove Poison could be Healing or the Rode. Freeze is a bit harder. While the Mask of Ice is obvious, the only other possibility I see is the Shelek.

Looking at the list of masks, there's quite a few that I can't really think of combinations for, either. Masks could be made directly out of protodermis; perhaps some can only be made via that method? The same would go for disks with those powers. They must be forged from liquid, instead of being combined from other disks.

Some combinations may also be obscure and/or illogical. Both explanations would make the production of various powers a trade secret. Certainly Nynrah and Xia would be a place to obtain masks you wouldn't be able to commission from Metru-Nui craftsmen.

This also gives an in-universe explanation for the prevalence of the twelve Mata/Metru masks in Metru-Nui. They are versatile powers with simple, well-known combinations, making them popular. Eventually, they may have fashionable, so that the few alternate powers being made were forged in one of those twelve shapes. This fashion probably spread to a few other islands from Metru-Nui.

It's really a shame that this concept wasn't fleshed out more. While it's far from the most striking example of lost potential in the canon, we've now established that there is plenty of room for interesting ideas here.

~Unit#phntk#1

The mask combinations we haven't been given official powers for yet probably make masks we haven't seen before. I'd speculate the Mask of Freezing would let the user freeze anything, possibly more effectively than a Toa of Ice could. Let's say Freezing is a sub-power of Ice, and the mask lets you do that very well, but not the full create-control-absorb trio of Elemental Ice users.

• Upvote 1

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!