Skeptical Journey To One DVDs found

Makuta_of_Oz

Admins, please close/move if inappropriate.

I just found two volumes of Journey To One on DVD for sale in a Big W store at Southland Shopping Centre in Cheltenham, Victoria, Australia. However, I looked at the back of the covers, and grew extremely skeptical: both DVD cases' back covers were covered in artwork and scenes from The Legend Reborn!

Because of yet another long absence from BZPower, I'm not sure if the DVDs' release and misprints have been reported before, but I'm posting it here instead of via the news e-mail because I'd like to hear the community's thoughts, an if they've encountered these misprints too.

Sadly I didn't have a camera on me so I didn't get photo proof.

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

Did the DVD cases glare at you through narrowed eyes in a suspicious manner? Did they question your logic?

In all seriousness, someone brought attention to an online store listing for AU-only JTO DvDs months ago but I can't find the thread at present. I'm not sure if those were legit, but what you describe sounds a lot like a knockoff.

:kakama:

• Upvote 1

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

There are some pictures around the net. Understandably, most people seem to assume they're bootlegs, but the menus actually use some glatorian assets that never saw the light of day before, let alone would have been easily accessible to bootleggers. Considering the publisher on the case is named as Universal, combined with the very limited distribution, I'd wager these are just extremely budget products that Universal patched together partly using a cache of assets leftover from The Legend Reborn. 

• Upvote 1

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

There are some pictures around the net. Understandably, most people seem to assume they're bootlegs, but the menus actually use some glatorian assets that never saw the light of day before, let alone would have been easily accessible to bootleggers. Considering the publisher on the case is named as Universal, combined with the very limited distribution, I'd wager these are just extremely budget products that Universal patched together partly using a cache of assets leftover from The Legend Reborn. 

Yeah. I think the explanation given was that, since Universal still holds the licennse for Bionicle on DVD, they figured they might as well make use of it one last time. It really is quite an illustration of how irrelevant Bionicle has become. Remember the hype for Mask of Light's release? I was told it was massive, and basically unprecedented for a Lego product. Now there's not even enough money in the budget to give a DVD a proper back cover.

I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones. But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole. And the Darkness can not stand before me.

Yeah. I think the explanation given was that, since Universal still holds the licennse for Bionicle on DVD, they figured they might as well make use of it one last time. It really is quite an illustration of how irrelevant Bionicle has become. Remember the hype for Mask of Light's release? I was told it was massive, and basically unprecedented for a Lego product. Now there's not even enough money in the budget to give a DVD a proper back cover.

I feel like this says about as much about the waning relevance of DVDs as about the waning relevance of Bionicle. Some Netflix shows don't even seem to get DVDs. Like, Voltron: Legendary Defender is in its fourth season and still has an active toyline, yet I don't think it's had any DVD releases. The way people enjoy home entertainment is increasingly shifting away from physical media and towards digital downloads and streaming.

Even as a die-hard Ninjago fan, I've basically stopped buying Ninjago seasons on DVD, since the first five seasons are available in high definition via Netflix and it's probably only a matter of time before the two most recent seasons and the "Day of the Departed" special get added as well.

I feel like this says about as much about the waning relevance of DVDs as about the waning relevance of Bionicle. Some Netflix shows don't even seem to get DVDs. Like, Voltron: Legendary Defender is in its fourth season and still has an active toyline, yet I don't think it's had any DVD releases. The way people enjoy home entertainment is increasingly shifting away from physical media and towards digital downloads and streaming.

Even as a die-hard Ninjago fan, I've basically stopped buying Ninjago seasons on DVD, since the first five seasons are available in high definition via Netflix and it's probably only a matter of time before the two most recent seasons and the "Day of the Departed" special get added as well.

DVDs have been irrelevant since the moment Blu-Ray came out, and are now even more irrelevant given the rise of 4K Blu-Rays. Of course Universal won't care about a DVD, it's an outdated, archaic format.