Bionicle RISK: Barraki at War

JAG18

“…You would do well to remember that, while you serve Mata Nui, we are his chosen rulers in this universe.”

Introduction:
Risk is an incredibly popular game of world domination and its rules are probably familiar to most of you reading this.  But, because Bionicle: Risk is an amalgamation of several different Risk variants I’ve written a set of rules so everyone will be on the same page.  If you already know the rules to Risk just read the "Setting Up" section and anything in bold for any differences from normal Risk and for info on how to join the game. 

The Six Kingdoms:
Each player will play as one of the Barraki of the Six Kingdoms; each one has special powers that affect the game in certain ways. 

Pridak: In the first territory you attack each turn, add 1 to your highest die roll.  This can turn a 6 into a 7.
Kalmah: At the beginning of your turn, after placing your armies, but before attacking place an additional army in each capital you control. 
Carapar: When defending your starting capital add +1 to all your die results.
Ehlek: When attacking, if all 3 of your dice are higher than the defenders then remove an additional army from the defending territory. 
Takadox: You may make your Maneuver at any time on your turn.
Mantax: When recruiting armies divide by 2 instead of 3 (still round down). 

The Game Board:
37940993454_d67017bc75_n.jpg
(link)

The game board is divided into 24 territories, which connect to each other by either a border or a sea-line…actually almost always the latter.  During the game armies will attack enemy armies across these territory lines. 
The territories are grouped in to five continents of different colors: The Northern Regions (Blue), The Southern Continent (Red), The Western Chain (White), The Eastern Chain (Black), and The Southern Islands (Green). 

Setting Up:
1) Sign-ups will last one week or until six players have signed up (whichever happens first); when a player signs up they pick which faction of the Six Kingdoms they wish to play.  Each has its own unique faction ability so choose wisely. 

2) I will use an RNG to decide who goes first.  Play will proceed down the player list (player 5 then 6 then 1 etc.) until all players have gone. 

3)   I will use a RNG to divide the territories among the players (each territory has been assigned a number for this process) and then post which territories were given to which player.  In a 5 player game the player going first will get one fewer territory.

4) All players will start with a pool of armies depending on how many players they are (30/25/20/15 armies in a 3/4/5/6 player game respectively).  Each player will then send me a PM telling me where they want to place their armies in their territories and which of their territories they want to make their capital.  Then the game begins. 

What to do on your turn:

Step 1: Recruit Armies
At the start of a player’s turn I will count all their territories and cities* then divide the number by 3.  That is the number of armies the player can place at the beginning of their turn.  Example, a player with 12 territories will get 4 armies, 15 territories 5 armies; if the number can’t be divided by 3 then round down, but  players, will always get at least 3 armies from this process. Then the player gets an extra army for each capital they control and if they control one or more continents they get the bonus listed on the game board. 

A player may also choose to turn in one or more cards won in battles to claim even more armies.  Each card has one or two stars on it, which can be turned in for additional armies (see the chart in the bottom left of the game board).  Example: a player can turn in three cards with a total of 4 stars to claim 7 bonus armies. 

*Cities are important or powerful locations in the MU.  The following territories have cities: Artakha, Metru-Nui, The Southern Continent, Xia, and Nynrah. 

Players will post in the topic, in which territories they will be placing their armies. 

Step 2: Attack
After placing armies, the player whose turn it is may choose to end their turn or they may choose to attack.  The attack phase goes as follow:
The attacker posts which territory they want to attack and which connected territory they will be attacking from along with the number of armies that will be attacking (up to 3).  For each attacking army I will follow a die and the defender will roll 2 dice* (or one if there is only one army in that territory).  Pair up the attack and defense dice from highest to lowest.  Then, for each pair of dice, do the following:

If the attack die is higher, remove one defending army from the battle.
If the defense die is the same number, or higher than, the attack die, remove one attacking army (the defender always wins a tie). 

If the battling players roll an unequal number of dice than ignore the extra dice (the dice with the lowest numbers).

If all defenders were killed in the battle, then the attacker won and move as many armies as survived the battle into the territory.  Then they may move any additional armies from the attacking territory as they want, but they cannot leave a territory empty. 

*For the sake of simplicity, I will always roll two dice when rolling defense for a territory unless there is only one army in the territory instead of letting the player decide each battle. 

Step 3: Maneuver
After finishing attacking, the player may move any number of armies from one territory they control to another one as long as they control all the territories in-between.  (A player may move 5 armies from Xia to Metru-Nui if they control Karzahni.)

Step 4: Draw a card.
If the player conquered at least one territory on their turn they get one card to put their hand (determined by RNG).  Cards are open knowledge.

After all players have taken a turn then a round ends and turn order is determined again for the next round.

Winning the game:
After a player completes their fifth turn all their territories will be counted; whichever player has the most territories at the end of their fifth turn (after all players have gone) is the winner and is declared leader of the Six Kingdoms. 

Other Rules:
All BZPower rules apply.
KEEP IT CLEAN
Remember it’s just a game and not a real war, so please no complaining about die rolls or any other unsportsmanlike behavior.  We’re all just here to have fun. 
Alliances and truces (temporary or otherwise) between players are neither encouraged nor forbidden by the rules.  Players are free to discuss said alliances and truces in either the topic or in PMs. 
All players are free to ask any questions about the game or rules in the topic and I will answer them as best as I can. 

The Rulers of the Six Kingdoms:
1. Toru Nui (Ehlek)
2. The Hip Historian laredios (Carapar)
3. Lucina (Mantax)
4. Scrubbish (Kalmah)
5. Rassilon (TTL) [Takadox]
6. Iron_Man5 (Pridak)

Edited by JAG18
  • Upvote 4

cheesebanner.jpg.4e180047b2ca502f2c43489af7b439da.jpg

This is a lot of reading to memorize. @_@ I have never played Risk before, but several strategy video games, so my interest has piqued!

I will pick Carapar, going with the Constantinople route of capital defense bonuses.

Edited by The Hip Historian Iaredios

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

All of you are in. 

This is a lot of reading to memorize. @_@ I have never played Risk before, but several strategy video games, so my interest has piqued!

I will pick Carapar, going with the Constantinople route of capital defense bonuses.

Wow, wasn't sure if we would get any people who hadn't played Risk before, but welcome aboard just the same.  :)  Risk isn't too complicated a game (and this version even less so, since I'm handling so much of the behind the scenes stuff), but I'll be sure to give you (and any player who needs it) any help to guide you through your turns.  And if you have questions about the game feel free to ask!

I wish to take the role of Herr Kalmah, and all the bratwurst, mad science, and Matoran Universe equivalents of Panzerjagers that come with it.

I wish to take the role of Herr Kalmah, and all the bratwurst, mad science, and Matoran Universe equivalents of Panzerjagers that come with it.

Um, I'm not entirely sure what that all means, but sure you're in.

I call being Takadox

You know for a second there I was worried you might miss sign-ups.  ;)  In!

Only one spot left!  Who wants to be the feared Pridak back when he looked like this

I headcanon Kalmah as German, for some reason.  I just thought I'd milk that joke right away, so I'm not tempted to do it later.

I call being Takadox

You know for a second there I was worried you might miss sign-ups. ;) In!

Only one spot left! Who wants to be the feared Pridak back when he looked like this?

What did Takadox look like?

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

I call being Takadox

You know for a second there I was worried you might miss sign-ups. ;) In!

Only one spot left! Who wants to be the feared Pridak back when he looked like this?

What did Takadox look like?

That's just a fan imagining. For me, I pictured his face looking a little more something like this (pridak's portfolio, mutated and normal). And here was my take on Takadox (mutated only here); as for un-mutated Takadox, I have imagined gear somewhat inspired by ancient Egypt -- I am surprised I never uploaded any of my drawings of him, and I am not going to play archeologist and search and ruffle through lost dusty piles. 

...These are ancient drawings. When I get my stylus, I will give an attempt at reimagining Carapar. I imagine Gothic Knight with some Sassanian influence, especially on the crown.

• Upvote 1

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

Quick question do you send out the PM or do we send you one?

All players will send me a PM with their starting army placement and capital selection once the game starts.  All other (non-alliance related) business is handled in topic. 

I will take Pridak! He's my favorite anyways! :D

In!   And with that sign-ups are closed!  Now, I'll use the RNG to decide who goes first on round one and how the territories will be divided up.

*timelapse*

The Six Kingdoms:

1. Toru Nui (Ehlek)

Metru-Nui, Tren Krom Peninsula, Destral, The Southern Continent,

2. The Hip Historian (Carapar)

Arthaka, Visorak, Daxia, Artidax,

3. Lucina (Mantax)

Karzahni, Stelt, Tren Krom’s Island, The Island of Energized Protodermis [EP Island]

4. Scrubbish (Kalmah)

Xia, The Northern Continent, Voya Nui, The Right Island Chain

5. TTL (Takadox)

Zakaz, The Four Arm Islands, Elbow Island, The Left Island Chain

6. Iron Man (Pridak) [First]

The Shoulder Islands, Odina, Nynrah, Keetongu’s Island

Now, everyone send me a PM stating, which of your starting territories will be a capital for the reminder of the game and also with your starting army deployment.  All of you have 15 armies (minus the one in each of your starting territories) leaving you with 11 armies to either scatter evenly across your territories or dump all in one territory. 

After everyone has PM'd, Iron_Man5 will go first and will post the placement of his new armies (4: minimum of 3, plus 1 for his capital) and then his first attack. 

Let the game begin!

Edited by JAG18

I wont have time to get my stuff ready until tomorrow after work, I forgot about this until checking back on BZPower and it is too late tonight. I apologize for this inconvenience. I can attempt tomorrow before/around noon during my long break, but mobile can be a pain in the butt. Friday night through the weekend I am free. So i am sorry if I happen to be the causing the game to lull if that is the case.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

It's fine laredios, I didn't get the last player PM until this afternoon anyway; just get me your last starting info when you can.   :)

So all players, once I have laredios last info I will re-post the map here with capital placements and army deployments and then Iron_Man will be ready to begin his turn.

*timelapse*

38790080691_05893a8b51.jpg

Link

The Six Kingdoms:

1. Toru Nui (Ehlek)

Metru-Nui [5: Capital], Tren Krom Peninsula [3], Destral [3], Southern Continent [4]

Arthaka (6: Capital), Visorak (3), Daxia (3), Artidax (3)

3. Lucina (Mantax)

Karzahni (5), Stelt (5), Tren Krom’s Island (4: Capital), Island of Energized Protodermis (1)

4. Scrubbish (Kalmah)

Xia (3: Capital), Northern Continent (4), Voya Nui (5), Right Island Chain (3)

5. TTL (Takadox)

Zakaz (3), The Four Arm Islands (4), Elbow Island (3), Left Island Chain (5: Capital)

6. Iron Man (Pridak) [First]

The Shoulder Islands (3), Odina (5: Capital), Nynrah (3), Keetongu’s Island (4)

And now the battles can begins!  Iron_Man5 is up first. 

Edited by JAG18
  • Upvote 1

Reinforcements placed.

6. Iron Man (Pridak)

The Shoulder Islands (5), Odina (6: Capital), Nynrah (4), Keetongu’s Island (4)

Attack commencing: Pridak's armies assail Takadox held Elbow Island.

Iron_Man rolls: 5, 3, 1; but Pridak's first blood ability turns his 5 into a 6!

TTL rolls: 2 and 1

5. TTL (Takadox)

Zakaz (3), The Four Arm Islands (4), Elbow Island (1), Left Island Chain (5: Capital)

It's a total slaughter, but the island's defenses still stand (barely).  Iron_Man, would you like to attack again or end your turn?

Iron_Man goes in for the kill rolling a 6, 4, 1 and with first blood this gives him a magnificent 7!  Easily swatting aside TTL's puny little 4.    

6. Iron Man (Pridak)

The Shoulder Islands (5), Odina (3: Capital), Nynrah (4), Keetongu’s Island (4), Elbow Island (3)

5. TTL (Takadox)

Zakaz (3), The Four Arm Islands (4), Left Island Chain (5: Capital)

And The Elbow Island falls to Iron_Man!  Would you like to move any additional armies from Odina to Elbow Island?  And then would you like to attack another territory, or end your turn? 

Attacking Carapar controlled Visorak from Nynrah. 

Iron_Man rolls a: 2, 2, 1; perhaps Pridak pressed his luck too far?

laredios rolls a: 1, 1

And he does it! 

6. Iron Man (Pridak)

The Shoulder Islands (5), Odina (3: Capital), Nynrah (4), Keetongu’s Island (4), Elbow Island (3)

Arthaka (6: Capital), Visorak (1), Daxia (3), Artidax (3)

Attack again or end your turn? 

Attacking again.

Iron_Man rolls: 5, 3, 2

laredios rolls: a 6!  The defenders have held! 

6. Iron Man (Pridak)

The Shoulder Islands (5), Odina (3: Capital), Nynrah (3), Keetongu’s Island (4), Elbow Island (3)

Arthaka (6: Capital), Visorak (1), Daxia (3), Artidax (3)

Attack again?

Pridak is undaunted!  Can Carapar's army last the night?

Iron_Man rolls: 5 and 3

laredios rolls: a 1 and it's over!

6. Iron Man (Pridak)

The Shoulder Islands (5), Odina (3: Capital), Nynrah (1), Keetongu’s Island (4), Elbow Island (3), Visorak (2)

Arthaka (6: Capital), Daxia (3), Artidax (3)

You have no more armies to move into Visorak.  Would you like to attack another territory or end your turn and maneuver?

Turn over, maneuver done, and card...

Visorak (1 Star)

Current State of The Six Kingdoms:

1. Toru Nui (Ehlek)

Metru-Nui [5: Capital], Tren Krom Peninsula [3], Destral [3], Southern Continent [4]

Arthaka (6: Capital), Daxia (3), Artidax (3)

3. Lucina (Mantax)

Karzahni (5), Stelt (5), Tren Krom’s Island (4: Capital), Island of Energized Protodermis (1)

4. Scrubbish (Kalmah)

Xia (3: Capital), Northern Continent (4), Voya Nui (5), Right Island Chain (3)

5. TTL (Takadox)

Zakaz (3), The Four Arm Islands (4), Left Island Chain (5: Capital)

6. Iron Man (Pridak)

The Shoulder Islands (5), Odina (3: Capital), Nynrah (1), Keetongu’s Island (4), Elbow Island (4), Visorak (1)

Toru Nui you may now begin your turn with 4 new armies to deploy. 

Territories reinforced:

1. Toru Nui (Ehlek)

Metru-Nui [6: Capital], Tren Krom Peninsula [5], Destral [4], Southern Continent [4]

Ehlek's army launches an amphibious assault on Kalmah controlled Voya Nui from the Tren Krom Peninsula.

Toru rolls a: 6, 6, 3

Scrubbish rolls a: 5, 4

4. Scrubbish (Kalmah)

Xia (3: Capital), Northern Continent (4), Voya Nui (3), Right Island Chain (3)

And Kalmah's forces take a solid beating, but stand strong.  Would you like to attack again? 

And Ehlek's armies attack again, but this time with feeling.

Toru rolls a: 5, 3, 2

Scrubbish rolls a: 2, 1

Ow, that's gotta hurt. 

4. Scrubbish (Kalmah)

Xia (3: Capital), Northern Continent (4), Voya Nui (1), Right Island Chain (3)

I already know what the answer is, but...attack again?