A CRUSHING Issue

Tahu92

So here's what I just thought as bit of fridge logic/fridge horror.

In the last few comics of the G1 storyline, we see the Great Spirit robot, piloted by Terdiax, face off against Mata Nui in the prototype GSR (great spirit robot). These two machines are prominent figures in the Bara Magna skyline but do not completely dominate it, as we see in the comics.

Please remember that Mata Nui's original body, the GSR, stands at 40 million feet tall. That's a little less than the DIAMETER OF THE EARTH.

The prototype GSR is only slightly shorter, which stands at around 75% or 3/4 of the diameter OF THE EARTH.

And yet the prototype robot, even when fully assembled, is not even visible from SPACE when viewed from Bara Magna's orbit.

One big question here:

JUST

HOW

BIG

is Bara Magna?

And what of the reformed Spherus Magna, which is slightly bigger and DENSER due to having absorbed the mass of its moons?

If these massive, planet-sized machines are SMALL in comparison to the planet, just how big is this world?

I'd speculate it's even bigger than the IRL gas giant planet Jupiter.

And even more importantly, Spherus Magna is a rocky planet like Earth instead of a gas giant like Jupiter, ergo, it has a higher density and higher mass which lead to an even further increased gravity strength.

That said...

WHAT EXACTLY IS THE SPECIFIC GRAVITY on the surface of this planet?

Just how strong and durable is protodermis if it can stand up to gravitic stress that's so ridiculously high?

If you're gonna make the argument that the planet is hollow, well then how is it holding itself together and not collapsing into a smaller, more compact form?

Edited by Tahu92

I'd wager that it was deliberately altered by the Great Beings to avoid overpopulation becoming an issue. Since the GB's have a habit of using overcomplicated solutions to their problems, it'd be just like them to accommodate for increased resource demand by saying "Hey, let's make our planet BIGGER!" and repeating unto infinity until they have a solid gas giant.

• Upvote 2

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

We've run into this problem before, to my knowledge the scale of both the GSR and Spherus Magna had been scaled down, first I think the projected size of Spherus Magna was about 10 or maybe even 100 times larger than Jupiter, I don't exactly recall which, but it was gargantuanly absurdly large for ANY terrestrial (meaning rocky) planet, even when compared to more so recent Exoplanet discoveries, I believe one of the largest ones found was around the size of Jupiter, but to my understanding, just getting to that diameter is pretty much the physical scientific limit for rocky worlds to get to, gas planets are of course different, but that's regardless.

Than I believe both the GSR and Spherus Magna were scaled down, Spherus Magna down to about the size of Jupiter, and the GSR to about the size of Pluto, which is about the same area of land as the whole of Russia.

Now, on a slightly different note, within a project I am a part of, which is a continuation project, I and the main head of the project through our own independant work came to about the same more rational conclusions for the scale of both the GSR and Spherus Magna, my measurement for Spherus Magna came out to be 1.42 or so Earth Masses, which makes it a bit larger than the earth as well as a bit wider, and the GSR around the size of the Canadian territory of Nunavut. It makes it that the GSR is reasonably sized, and Spherus Magna too is reasonably sized. The whole notion of the GSR not being viewable from space, and that Spherus Magna is ten or more times the size of Jupiter is utterly absurd and scientifically and physically impossible, it's just too big.

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

We've run into this problem before, to my knowledge the scale of both the GSR and Spherus Magna had been scaled down, first I think the projected size of Spherus Magna was about 10 or maybe even 100 times larger than Jupiter, I don't exactly recall which, but it was gargantuanly absurdly large for ANY terrestrial (meaning rocky) planet, even when compared to more so recent Exoplanet discoveries, I believe one of the largest ones found was around the size of Jupiter, but to my understanding, just getting to that diameter is pretty much the physical scientific limit for rocky worlds to get to, gas planets are of course different, but that's regardless.

Than I believe both the GSR and Spherus Magna were scaled down, Spherus Magna down to about the size of Jupiter, and the GSR to about the size of Pluto, which is about the same area of land as the whole of Russia.

Now, on a slightly different note, within a project I am a part of, which is a continuation project, I and the main head of the project through our own independant work came to about the same more rational conclusions for the scale of both the GSR and Spherus Magna, my measurement for Spherus Magna came out to be 1.42 or so Earth Masses, which makes it a bit larger than the earth as well as a bit wider, and the GSR around the size of the Canadian territory of Nunavut. It makes it that the GSR is reasonably sized, and Spherus Magna too is reasonably sized. The whole notion of the GSR not being viewable from space, and that Spherus Magna is ten or more times the size of Jupiter is utterly absurd and scientifically and physically impossible, it's just too big.

Assuming a planetary diameter of 14,000 km and a planetary mass of 1.42 Earth Masses, I calculated the surface gravity of the planet of Spherus Magna to be at around 11.549 m/s^2

Formula: g = (G * M)/r^2

G == Gravitational Constant of 6.673 * 10^(-11) == 0.00000000006673

M == Mass of Planet (kilograms)

r == planetary radius (meters) == assumed 7000000 meters

with one Earth Mass being equal to 5.972 × 10^(24) kg

or (5972000000000000000000000) kg

Spherus Magna mass == 5972000000000000000000000 * 1.42 == 8480240000000000000000000 kg

radius == 7000000 meters

radius squared == 49000000000000 meters

ergo:

(0.00000000006673 * 8480240000000000000000000) / 49000000000000) == 11.548702351020408163265306122449

or

~= 11.549 m/s^2

or roughly 1.177 times the gravitational acceleration on Earth's surface.

(addendum: technically it's -11.549 m/s^2, just like Earth's is technically -9.81 m/s^2 as you fall toward the planet, not away from it)

I weigh 120 pounds. That's ~= 54.43 kilos.

So on Spherus Magna with a gravity of 1.177 times that of Earth I'd have the same mass but would weigh roughly 64.07 kilos, or 141.25 pounds.

It'd be like carrying a bowling ball in each hand and would be rather uncomfortable but at least it wouldn't be bone-breakingly intense like a terrestrial planet that's larger than a gas giant.

Just wanted to get the math out of the way.

In terms of scale though:

Still makes me wonder just how much material the GSR took to build and exactly how they managed to do it. I know that theoretically one can live indefinitely in Bionicle (Makuta in their natural gaseous state did not age, as other beings also did not, and the ones who did die of natural causes took hundreds of thousands of years to do so) but still, how long does it take to build a machine that huge?

But now that's another question entirely (and opens up a whole slew of questions about the GSR).

Edited by Tahu92

One of the reasons I dislike the 2009-2010 story so much is because it simply requires too much suspension of disbelief. However, as you can see here, the GSR was intended by the original story team to be way smaller than the current canon says. I believe it was Greg who decided to arbitrarily make it bigger (he had a tendency to... exaggerate at times), which leads to a whole host of problems.

However, if we were to take the original size of the GSR as canon (as I choose to do), it basically solves all of the problems. It allows Aqua Magna to be the size of Earth, and Spherus Magna slightly bigger, but it's still within the limits of what is feasible, at least in fiction.

• Upvote 3

Okay, so I just hopped into Universe Sandbox and ran some quick calculations, as well as took some pictures.... The calculated estimate for the initial canon size of SM  which I took from this topic, estimates the size of Spherus Magna to be about 975,354.613 miles.... I apologize for the big pictures.

sm_calcs.jpg

At which point, the planet by almost all accounts would become, though this makes no sense, a silicate star if you will! I don't even want to know the crushing pressures for THAT to happen! ALSO, at this size, the "Planet" is 26.4 TIMES THE MASS OF THE SUN. This is what being Arbitrary does people....

As well, I calculated some other estimates for the size of Spherus Magna, one 10 times the size of Jupiter, and the other 100 times the size, as also seen above.

Also, here is the size comparisons for the more reasonable sizes of Spheres Magna and compared to Jupiter, Neptune and Earth.

gas_giants_sm.jpg

As well, a size comparison of the GSR. The smallest one being the most reasonable one.

gsr_calcs.jpg

Edited by Toa Imrukii
  • Upvote 2

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

• 2 weeks later...

Fun fact: There are fish that have evolved to endure the immense water pressure at the bottom of the sea. Humans have to wear scuba gear to endure the pressure down there, but strangely enough, when we bring those fish to the surface, they don't experience any adverse effects from the loss of the pressure they're used to.

I always assumed that the Spherus Magnans were similarly evolved to handle whatever their gravity was and consider it to be "normal." A similar factlet is how, in Superman canon, Krypton had a much stronger gravity than Earth, which is how Superman can "fly" (by being so used to stronger gravity that ours is insanely weak by comparison).

• Upvote 1

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!