Does a Ruru suit Taipu?

Miru577

So you know in mnog, Hafu pakari and Taipu has a Ruru but Hafu had a Ruru and Taipu had a pakari in canon, so would it be better if the mask were like how they were in mnog? The Ruru makes Hafu a little cute, but hes supposed to be a proud matoran who's extremely devoted to his sculptures and statues. I think the Ruru suits Taipu, whats your opinion?

CEGPTkp.png1aRA1Su.jpg

CORRECT ME IF I'M CANONLY INCORRECT

WIPUVUw.jpgI will come for you, I will find you, AND I WILL Correct that post you made, its the mask of shadows, not the mask of darkness, loser

From some reason the MNOG depiction takes precedence in my mind. It was what introduced these characters, what made them memorable and to which I associate their personalities. That carries more weight with me than the seldom depicted "canon" version.

And this is rare for me because I'm usually a "official canon is what matters regardless of your preference" kind of guy who avoids headcanon substitutions that conflict with real canon, but in this case I consider the MNOG versions to be the 'real' versions. Taipu wears a ruru, Hafu wears a Pakari, and that's just how it should be.

:kakama:

• Upvote 4

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

I agree that the MNOG appearances always take precedence in my mind, for pretty much the same reasons Pohaturon gave.  It irks me whenever I want to build Taipu and I want to give him his black Ruru, but I don't have one so I have to settle for the black Pakari.  Ah well.

I do have a wacky headcanon going on, though, where the human writers for Bionicle travel to Mata Nui and interview the inhabitants so they can get the facts straight for MNOG, the books and comics and all that.  Whenever the writers come, Hafu and Taipu switch masks or swap places in each other's villages or some similar prank.  And because of their pranks the writers can never keep which one is Hafu and which one is Taipu straight.

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

Personally I got to know Hafu via the sets he came in first, so Ruru always seemed fitting for him.  :smilehafu:

It just occured to me that Hafu and Taipu could totally switch masks and swap villages and *nobody* would tell the difference (well, aside from those who are puzzled that "Hafu" isn't full of himself anymore haha) :P

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

And this is rare for me because I'm usually a "official canon is what matters regardless of your preference" kind of guy who avoids headcanon substitutions that conflict with real canon, but in this case I consider the MNOG versions to be the 'real' versions. Taipu wears a ruru, Hafu wears a Pakari, and that's just how it should be.

I'm the exact same way. When it comes to canon characters in anything, I use official canon depictions over all else, only using headcanon to fill in blanks rather than substitute existing character traits. But MNOG1 and the Bohrok cartoons resonated with me way more than *any* other Bionicle media, period. As far as I was concerned, those were the official depictions of Bionicle lore, so to me, Taipu will always have a Ruru and Hafu will always have a Pakari. In fact, when I got a Hafu figure in 2003, I switched out his Ruru for a Pakari just so I could "properly" have Hafu.

Also, I think that the designs of the masks fit the characters more. The Ruru is a cuter and more childlike looking mask, which I think fits with Taipu's "big idealistic dreamer" personality that he shows when he's about to go to Le-Koro for the first time. The Pakari has a bigger presence than the Ruru does, and it fits well with Hafu's pride in his originals.

I wasn't even aware that Hafu was supposed to have a Pakari until the 2003 Kolhii Matoran sets came out (I had never seen a Power Pack before at that point, I simply knew it existed). I remember as a kid seeing pictures of the Hafu set in a catalog and thinking "yeah no...no, that's Taipu."

• Upvote 1

I'm the exact same way. When it comes to canon characters in anything, I use official canon depictions over all else, only using headcanon to fill in blanks rather than substitute existing character traits. But MNOG1 and the Bohrok cartoons resonated with me way more than *any* other Bionicle media, period. As far as I was concerned, those were the official depictions of Bionicle lore, so to me, Taipu will always have a Ruru and Hafu will always have a Pakari. In fact, when I got a Hafu figure in 2003, I switched out his Ruru for a Pakari just so I could "properly" have Hafu.

Also, I think that the designs of the masks fit the characters more. The Ruru is a cuter and more childlike looking mask, which I think fits with Taipu's "big idealistic dreamer" personality that he shows when he's about to go to Le-Koro for the first time. The Pakari has a bigger presence than the Ruru does, and it fits well with Hafu's pride in his originals.

I wasn't even aware that Hafu was supposed to have a Pakari until the 2003 Kolhii Matoran sets came out (I had never seen a Power Pack before at that point, I simply knew it existed). I remember as a kid seeing pictures of the Hafu set in a catalog and thinking "yeah no...no, that's Taipu."

The same for me! as well as the cute Ruru  :) I was originally going to have a moc with a Ruru be a Hafu revamp, but then I was like nah, the Ruru suits Taipu, he'll be Taipu instead. And thats the whole reason I started this topic.

WIPUVUw.jpgI will come for you, I will find you, AND I WILL Correct that post you made, its the mask of shadows, not the mask of darkness, loser

It's complicated. When I think "Hafu" or "Taipu," I think of their original MNOG appearances, much like everyone else. MNOG is what really made them, along with all the other Matoran, true characters. However, I don't associate their MNOG appearance with their CGI set appearance, though, if that makes sense. Meaning: when I see a line of actual set recreations of the Matoran, I think of the one with the Pakari as Taipu and the one with the Ruru as Hafu. I think it's because, as said before, the MNOG versions of both of those masks are not completely faithful anyway.

On the subject of cuteness, all of the Matoran in MNOG are cute in their own way. Hafu's self-centeredness is cute to me in a certain way, like a child who doesn't understand how important everything else is. However, I could argue that the Pakari is a cuter mask than the Ruru, precisely because it is bigger, like oversized clothes on a small toddler.

In my collection, I have a black Pakari-wearing Matoran with a tan body and black feet. I sort of have to make myself think of him as "MNOG Hafu/Set Taipu."

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Why don't you like me?  :(

7J9FlJL.png

great! now you guys made Taipu cry! you should be ashamed!

If it makes him feel better, he's my favorite member of the Chronicler's Company, and always has been since I first beat MNOLG back in '02. You keep being a big dreamer and wearing that cute big dreamer-like mask, Taipu!

I think of Taipu as wearing a Pakari since that way he matches Onua.

At the same time, the Ruru is Turaga Whenua's mask, too, so it could work either way.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Whereas, I am weird and different...

I never seriously sat down to play MNOG until maybe 2003, main reason being that, back when it first came out, I couldn't figure out how to get off the beach so I assumed there wasn't anything more to the game than that. Because of that, I saw the CGI renderings of the matoran on their bio pages long before I ever met them in the game; so, that's how they've always stuck in my mind. When I think Taipu, I always think black Pakari; and by the same token, black Ruru always says 'Hafu' to me.

...also, to be fair, Hafu's mask in the MNOG always did look more like a stretched Ruru than an actual Pakari, what with the slitted eyes, the shape of the forehead hole and other facial patterning. I just can't imagine Hafu with the wide-eyed 'expression' that the canon Pakari has; the narrowed eyeholes suit him a lot better in my mind ^^

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

At the same time, the Ruru is Turaga Whenua's mask, too, so it could work either way.

In the mctoran sets, onepu came with a poster of him and onua. So if he was a mctoran set I think it would be better if he had a ruru and he would be beside turaga whenua in the poster

In the mctoran sets, onepu came with a poster of him and onua. So if he was a mctoran set I think it would be better if he had a ruru and he would be beside turaga whenua in the poster

So if taipu*

also, if he was a toa and had a ruru, I think it would help, in mnog he was mining to le-koro and other matoran were protesting that they need lightstones