So I was rereading the BIONICLE Legends books, and a thought struck me. Why did Velika allow the Piraka to take over Voya Nui. Now, I know he was a Matoran, and could only do so much, (or so it seems given how easily he took out Tren Krom and Karzahni later in the story, but I'll get back to that later) but hear me out.

The whole conquest of Voya Nui hinged on tricking the Matoran into thinking that the Piraka were actually Toa. At least long enough until Zaktan fixed up the way to create Zamor spheres. So, why did Velika go along with their charade? He knew what Toa looked like. He knew what Skakdi were. AND I'm willing to bet he knew that the Ignika was under Voya Nui, so visitors to the island probably were up to no good.

Now you may say that he kept his mouth shut because he was afraid of retribution from the Piraka when the Matoran knew instantly who the piraka were. Or maybe he didn't want his cover blown as a great being, so therefore only spoke in riddles and hints to "help" and not give all the answers away completely. I can buy that, but it's still a big risk to take considering loosing the mask of life would basically be fatal to the universe as a whole.

We all see later that he is perfectly capable of taking care of himself (as shown later with the late Tren Krom and Karzahni) so he probably wasn't afraid of the Piraka themselves. He very frequently helped the Voya Nui Resistance, and the Toa Inika (and Nuva) on different occasions. Of course when they met the Toa Nuva after their defeat of the Piraka, the Matoran attacked them believing they were allies of the Piraka (Velika again, would know that this time they were actually Toa).

So what do you guys think? Do you think it's all just a fluke from creating a character and then later deciding he's a Great Being? Or do you think that Velika had different motives for letting the Piraka basically control the island that housed the universes greatest weapon ever? Let me know, I'm interested in discussing this.

• Upvote 3

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

First of all, it's possible that Velika didn't know the Ignika was there. Two GBs hid the thing in secret, so it's possible that only those two knew its location. But he probably figured it out in all the years he was there. 

That said, it's most likely just a fluke stemming from retroactively making him a Great Being. Because a lot of it doesn't add up, you're right. Unless he was really given over to his charade, and had no interest in actually being helpful to the MU as a whole instead of just looking after the interests of the Voyatoran, then I really have no explanation for it.

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

What if Velika did nothing because he knew that Mata Nui would end up killing Makuta in 2010 because of the events leading up to his demise? If he tried to do anything, Makuta might have ended up winning?

We know that Makuta's plan was to steal the Ignika from the Piraka once they acquired it. What then? The Plan required Mata Nui to be reawakened by the Toa using the mask. Let's say Velika interfered, somehow beating up the Piraka and throwing them off the island. From there, the Inika and Nuva meet up. Perhaps they descend together to find the Ignika, or maybe one team is sent back to help rebuild Metru Nui. Either way, the mask is found, and it plunges into the sea so it can lead the Toa to the Codrex.

What if the Piraka were successful in their plot? Teridax steals the mask from them easily enough, and from there he needs to get it to the Toa. Perhaps he places it where they can find it, steers them towards that spot. Or he could put on a grand show of benevolence and hand it over to them in person. Or it tears itself from his claws and goes for a swim anyway. The Toa still end up taking it to the Codrex.

No matter what, Makuta wins. At least until 2010. Unless the Ignika gets lost, destroyed, or trapped in a Toa Seal, changing the victors of 2006 doesn't really make a difference to the Plan. Pretty crazy.

All that to say, no, I don't think it's likely that Velika had precognition. Interesting hypothesis, though. We never learned much about how the destiny thing worked, even though it's one of the Three Virtues.

It could be that he knew something of the Plan, and thought it might help him to further his goals. So he let Makuta's unknowing minions run amok while helping the Resistance with vague riddles to avoid suspicion. That's pretty out there, though.

~Unit#phntk#1

Edited by Spooky Unit#phntk#1