Tohunga

Miru577

As we all know (well Im expecting you to know (if not, you're the worst bionicle fan ever... Ok.. Under average bionicle fan)) the matoran were called tohunga, blah blah blah, you know. But if they weren't called matoran, what was the matoran universe' name at the time?

CORRECT ME IF I'M CANONLY INCORRECT

WIPUVUw.jpgI will come for you, I will find you, AND I WILL Correct that post you made, its the mask of shadows, not the mask of darkness, loser

If I recall correctly... I don't think it had a name, since it was only the Island of Mata Nui at the time... I don't think it was referred to as the Matoran Universe until Metru-Nui was discovered, and the corresponding Islands were introduced.

I could be wrong though, feel free to disprove that assumption. 

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

Canonically, Matoran have always been called Matoran, even on the island. I realize the story team originally went with the explanation that the Tohunga renamed themselves Matoran after being rebuilt, but that only lasted for about a year or so before they retconned the word Tohunga out of canon entirely. Conversely, if the Maori lawsuit hadn't happened, it's likely that they would have been canonically always called Tohunga.

Edited by Zarkan: Master of Storms
  • Upvote 1

I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones. But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole. And the Darkness can not stand before me.

There was no concept of a Matoran "universe" yet -- that term wasn't used until 2006 at the earliest. There was just the island of Mata Nui, and that was it.

100% factually incorrect. Mata Nui being a giant robot and containing an entire universe which the Matoran originated from was planned from the very beginning. In fact, the contingency plan was for the giant robot to rise out from underneath the island at the end of the very first year, in the case that the theme did not do well. However, the theme was a massive success, so they continued with their original plan, which encompassed the Mata Nui, Metru Nui, and Ignition arcs - which were ALL roughly sketched out long before the theme was officially released. Literally the only arc that wasn't planned from the beginning was Bara Magna - the original plan for the years following Ignition involved "finding the Great Beings."

I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones. But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole. And the Darkness can not stand before me.

100% factually incorrect. Mata Nui being a giant robot and containing an entire universe which the Matoran originated from was planned from the very beginning. In fact, the contingency plan was for the giant robot to rise out from underneath the island at the end of the very first year, in the case that the theme did not do well. However, the theme was a massive success, so they continued with their original plan, which encompassed the Mata Nui, Metru Nui, and Ignition arcs - which were ALL roughly sketched out long before the theme was officially released. Literally the only arc that wasn't planned from the beginning was Bara Magna - the original plan for the years following Ignition involved "finding the Great Beings."

I think Planetperson was more talking about from the fans' perspective. After all, the term "Matoran Universe" really only saw use in the first place because the secret - that the Matoran Universe was actually just Mata Nui - couldn't be revealed. The concept of the MU was always there, but the term definitely was not, and it only needed to come to be once we started to realize there was an underground network beyond Metru Nui - in 2006. 

I'm curious where you heard that the plan for the post-Ignition years was to do with the GBs - that's not something I think I've seen before.

• Upvote 3

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

Odd coincidence, but I got nostalgic the other day and browsed through the Greg archives for a while reading old discussions, and I discovered the first time I ever saw the term "Matoran Universe." Not sure if it was the first usage of the term but it was clearly the first time I'd seen it. Check out this relic:

November 21, 2006

Hiyah. I was just wondering about these organic creatures.

1. How long can one live?

2. How do they "come into being?"

3. Can you give me any good facts about next year's squid ammo?

Thanks in advance.

There seems to be a lot of interest on here with the idea of organics, so let me lay out the facts for you ...

1) The squid next year are organic. They are not native to the Matoran universe.
2) Nothing else organic plays any role in the story next year or in 2008.
3) Organic beings come into the world the same way they do here, biologically.
4) There isn't going to be a biomechanical-organics war -- that has never been what BIONICLE was about.
5) The idea of organics is not new with 2007 -- I believe a non-biomech sea bird was shown back in 2001, and of course, they were seen again in BA #5.

Greg

The matoran universe? Are they from a different universe?

Sorry, universe was probably a poor choice of words -- I basically mean their "world" inside the domes. As you know, the Matoran are not meant to live outside the domes. The squid do not come from within the domes, they come from the water outside.

I love him clarifying that there's no biomechanical-organics war. 

Edited by Wrinkledlion X
  • Upvote 3

i second planetperson's post, back in 01/02 it was just the island of Mata Nui. the robot itself is just referred to as Mata Nui in the Faber Files posts for the old stuff

~Bionicle Online Games Guru~
Current Bionicle Sets: 232/250
2001: 23/24 2002: 20/21 2003: 22/22 2004: 22/22 2005: 23/23
2006: 16/22 2007: 22/22 2008: 25/27 2009: 26/26 2010: 4/6
2015: 18/18 2016: 11/17

I'm curious where you heard that the plan for the post-Ignition years was to do with the GBs - that's not something I think I've seen before.

From a post Greg made years back. It was lost when the archives were hacked. I believe it may have been the same post where Greg outlined just exactly how much of the Bionicle storyline had been planned from the beginning.

i second planetperson's post, back in 01/02 it was just the island of Mata Nui. the robot itself is just referred to as Mata Nui in the Faber Files posts for the old stuff

Greg explained a long time ago that most of the storyline for the first eight years had been planned out in advance in the story bible. This included everything from the three year journey to save Mata Nui's life, to Makuta being a species. I suppose its possible that some of the very early concept art was drawn with the idea of Mata Nui not having a whole universe inside him, but that clearly didn't last long once the story team solidified their plans for a multi-year franchise.

From a post Greg made years back. It was lost when the archives were hacked. I believe it may have been the same post where Greg outlined just exactly how much of the Bionicle storyline had been planned from the beginning.

I thought so too, but when I examined the text of that topic I archived years ago, it doesn't appear there. I can confirm from memory though that Greg did reveal the Great Being-plan at some point. It might've been in that topic actually, but I just happen to have the first few questions by fans archived, so I may have missed it.

• Upvote 3

@Zarkan Right, what Pereki said. I thought the OP was asking about how the Matoran universe was referred to in story prior to the name change.

We know that the concept of the Matoran universe existed behind the scenes from the beginning, but I wonder where the term "universe" originated from. I always thought it was a Greg-ism, but the post that Wrinkledlion X pointed out sort of suggests that he wasn't the one who came up with it.

I've always been a bit perplexed as to why they chose the word "universe" instead of "world" to describe something that is, in fact, smaller than a planet.

@Toatapio Nuva Wow, awesome, I totally forgot about that topic -- do you happen to have any other of Greg's topics saved? It would make a great addition to my archival site. (I'm keeping a list).

Edited by Planetperson

I thought so too, but when I examined the text of that topic I archived years ago, it doesn't appear there. I can confirm from memory though that Greg did reveal the Great Being-plan at some point. It might've been in that topic actually, but I just happen to have the first few questions by fans archived, so I may have missed it.

Wow, I thought that topic was lost for good! Thank you so much for saving this very important piece of Bionicle history!

Reading it again, the most interesting thing about is how Greg is completely off the mark comparing Bionicle to Star Wars. If anything, Star Wars is the exact opposite of Bionicle, in that basically everything (including all the big twists like Darth Vader's true nature) was made up along the way.

@Toatapio Nuva Wow, awesome, I totally forgot about that topic -- do you happen to have any other of Greg's topics saved? It would make a great addition to my archival site. (I'm keeping a list).

I'm afraid I don't, it's just that one. I don't know if it might be possible to find this particular topic on the wayback machine somehow, there might be more there. I wouldn't know how to do that without the web address though.

I've always been a bit perplexed as to why they chose the word "universe" instead of "world" to describe something that is, in fact, smaller than a planet.

Unless the MU can exist outside the universe (which we will never know) then it should have been called the MW.

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

It's also worth noting that the Matoran Universe is often just called "the universe." The term comes up in Shadow Stealer's article in the Dark Hunters guide: "Some whisper that he was a hero long before the first Toa ever appeared in the universe, possibly a crusader of a completely different type." The book came out in June 2006, so a few months before the Greg quote mentioned earlier. I wouldn't be surprised if "the universe" was used before that.

Good point. As far as I remember, the first time the term "universe" was used was right at the beginning of 2006, when Greg repeatedly stated that if Mata Nui died, the "universe" would die with him. In fact, at that point, it was not yet clear that this referred only to the dome-world.