"homemade" Magazine Comic Translations

emily

Some of you may recall this Brickshelf folder, which surfaced a while ago last year. It contains scans of the Russian version of Adventures magazine, titled Homemade. Since Adventures magazine is somewhat hard to find, this seemed like a good alternative for enjoying all of the comics inside, although it would require translation. By luck I chanced upon translations of the "Legend of Lewa" comics, resulting in a topic I posted for them before the downtime. However, my attempts to translate the other comics were met with failure- strangely, Google Translate's Russian keyboard did not include several of the characters used in the magazine.Recently I began thinking about the magazine again, and decided to give it another try. Soon enough, I had cracked the code.It began when I noticed that Ogel's name was spelled two different ways in different places. Upon closer examination I saw this applied to all of the names, and that the different spellings were inconsistent only between two different fonts. From this, I began substituting characters in the font Google couldn't translate for characters that were used in the same place in the character's names in the other font. This solved the problem and the only other problem from their on has been the occasional trouble Google Translate usually has.And here, for you to read, are the comics:ADVENTURERSDinner for DinosaursPage 1Page 2Page 3Page 4Page 5Page 6Notes: Only place to describe how Mike joined the Adventurers, however vague it is.ALPHA TEAMOgel's Cunning PlanPage 1Page 2Page 3Page 4Page 5Page 6Notes: While Flex's name is normal, Dash is identified as Vortex, Radia's name translates inconsistently between Radium and Radiation, and Cam, strangely, is called Nick. Ogel's name usually came out as Ohel (and, less frequently, Ogle) and Tee Vee was Ti Integer, possibly due to the Russian word for integer being spelled the same as the phonetic spelling for Vee.Secret IslandPage 1Page 2Page 3Page 4Page 5Page 6CITY CENTERCoastal RescuePage 1Page 2Page 3Page 4Race in the SkyPage 1Page 2Page 3Page 4Notes: In this and several other comics, The Brickster has the appearance of Jailbreak Joe. Interestingly, this also occurs in the DK book Trouble at the Bridge, possibly in addition to others. The comic also features Extreme Team, which is strange seeing as it is labeled as a City Center comic.Special CargoPage 1Page 2Page 3Page 4Friendship WinsPage 1Page 2Page 3Page 4Page 5Page 6Notes: A lot of the translations didn't make sense, so be wary of nonsensical statments and possible innaccurate lines I filled in based on the information I had.Skateboard ChasePage 1Page 2Page 3Page 4Notes: The Brickster, when translated literally, is known as Brick.KNIGHT'S KINGDOMCunning PlanPage 1Page 2Page 3Page 4Page 5Page 6LIFE ON MARSMystery of the Red PlanetPage 1Page 2Page 3Page 4Page 5Page 6Notes: The Martian is called Antares, but has the appearance of Pollux.SOCCERDecisive KickPage 1Page 2Page 3Page 4Page 5Page 6SPACE PORTJourney to the MoonPage 1Page 2Page 3Page 4Page 5Page 6Notes: The astronauts are called Captain Jerry Walker and Navigator Tina Orbit. In the translation I used their US names, Buzz Bailey and Hallie Comet, since I'm not 100% certain on the names. I couldn't translate the last minifig's name so I went with Technician Bob, the only name I know of for the minifig.If anyone has any requests on the comic to be translated next (see here for them all) I'd be happy to oblige.The full Brickshelf gallery is here.

Edited by Tazakk

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

It's in cryllic! It's like all the buttons you don't use on a calculator!

My, my, it certainly is a lot easier to read in English, now isn't it? :PGood work translating it, although it would have been more impressive without google translate! Just kidding though, good work.In the space comic, on page 3, the guy mentions there being little oxygen on Mars, while his helmet is up. Huh. And why would you take a 12 year old boy to Mars anyway?EDIT: Read the rest of the comic, the oxygen thing gets explained. But the 12 year old boy still... Those wacky Russians :PMTL Edited by ManiacToaLaco

It's in cryllic! It's like all the buttons you don't use on a calculator!

My, my, it certainly is a lot easier to read in English, now isn't it? :PGood work translating it, although it would have been more impressive without google translate! Just kidding though, good work.In the space comic, on page 3, the guy mentions there being little oxygen on Mars, while his helmet is up. Huh. And why would you take a 12 year old boy to Mars anyway?EDIT: Read the rest of the comic, the oxygen thing gets explained. But the 12 year old boy still...Those wacky Russians :PMTL
Thanks! I agree that it would've been more impressive if I hadn't used Google Translate, but unfortunately Google Translate knows more Russian than I do at the moment. :PThe whole 12-year-old-boy-going-to-Mars thing was actually part of the Life on Mars story worldwide. It's still pretty strange, though. :P

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

I cannot thank you enough for translating these!! :D If you ever get the time to translate some others that would be excellent, especially the one starting here. If I had the time I would help translate, too, so we could get all of them done... But there's normally like two per magazine, and several magazines, that could take a while even with multiple people. :

I cannot thank you enough for translating these!! :biggrin: If you ever get the time to translate some others that would be excellent, especially the one starting here. If I had the time I would help translate, too, so we could get all of them done... But there's normally like two per magazine, and several magazines, that could take a while even with multiple people. :

I'm definitely planning on translating them all, now that I know how. I'd be happy to do that comic next as well.Not including the Jack Stone comics, there are only 19 left, so it hopefully it won't take too long... you know, if a month or two is considered a short amount of time. :PEdit: I've updated the first post with the comic, apparently titled "Skateboard Chase." I've also added a few notes about the comics that I had forgotten about. Edited by Tazakk

A month or two is actually a lot faster then I was expecting. Thanks again for translating, good to see some LEGO Island related stuff, even if it doesn't technically take place on LEGO Island... :P I'll keep tabs on this topic for updates.

Sometimes I wonder why The Brickster seemly goes between wanting to disassemble LEGO Island and committing robberies in LEGO City. As far as evil doings go, they're pretty much on opposite ends of the spectrum. :PAnyways, another comic has been added.Edit: Spaceport comic "Journey to the Moon" has been added. Interestingly, the issue it is in seems to have been published in 2002, while the original Adventures edition of this magazine was published in 1999.Edit 2: City Center Comic "Coastal Rescue" has been added.Edit 3: Continuing in the order the comics were published, the Soccer comic "Decisive Kick" has been added. Come to think of it, it was probably really named like "Winning Kick." Oh well. :PEdit 4: Sorry for the lack of updates in the past few days, my internet connection hasn't been working for the most part. Hopefully I'll have another comic finished soon.Edit 5: Although someone on another site may have scans of the English magazine soon, I've gone ahead and translated the City Center comic "Race in the Sky."Edit 6: Knight's Kingdom comic "Cunning Plan" has been added. Apparently they weren't to creative when it came to naming comics. :PEdit 7: City Center comic "Special Cargo" has been added.Edit 8: Assuming you're still following the topic, jamesster (and anyone else who may have been following but not commented), I've added another comic even though I believe the topic has died. I apologize for moving so slowly with updates lately, but in an inexplicable turn of events my internet connection has been crashing whenever I use Google Translate, so I have only been able to work on this during lunch at school. :P Edited by Tazakk